Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do You Ride When You Are Sick?  (Read 9706 times)

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
Do You Ride When You Are Sick?
« on: December 03, 2013, 07:40:35 AM »
It's really nice here again today and I wanted to ride into work, but I've been dealing with a sinus infection. When my mind isn't 100% I feel like I'm taking an extra risk by riding, so I take one of the vehicles.

Physically I am fine, so maybe I'm becoming a wimp as I get older or maybe I'm getting wiser.  :shrug:

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: Do You Ride When You Are Sick?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:49:46 AM »
As long as the helmet still fits on my head.  :lol:

I don't really get sick.  I could see it being pretty bad riding with a bad head cold though.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:56:58 AM »
Generally, no. Iget pretty bad sinus infections and there is no way I'd want to ride when my head is so foggy.

Offline hambonee

• Motorcycles: 2013 LC R1200GS
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »
Only time sickness ever held me back was when I had some crap in my lungs and was having major coughing fits...I just generally don't get that sick and if I do I am going no where be it in a car or on a bike..

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:34:42 AM »
I feel no more/less safe in a car than I do on a bike ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:35:22 AM »
It's really nice here again today and I wanted to ride into work, but I've been dealing with a sinus infection. When my mind isn't 100% I feel like I'm taking an extra risk by riding, so I take one of the vehicles.

Physically I am fine, so maybe I'm becoming a wimp as I get older or maybe I'm getting wiser.  :shrug:

I'll go with "wimp".  :razz:

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:35:57 AM »
I rode with flu once, around 300 miles-but then I wanted away from where I was, quickly.

I find riding is brilliant for clearing up the crappy end of colds.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 08:43:13 AM »
Ride with a sinus infection? Oh. Hell. No.

Why not just beat me with a bat.
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »
yeah, I do . . . .

Unless sick includes a broken limb (ribs don't count) or recovery from some ofr of surgery, then, no, not always.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »
yeah, I do . . . .

Unless sick includes a broken limb (ribs don't count) or recovery from some ofr of surgery, then, no, not always.

lol.. yea, I broke my hand once. I would go to the garage everyday and try to pull the clutch in. When I finally could do it I went for a ride :)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 09:51:59 AM »
yeah, I do . . . .

lol.. yea, I broke my hand once. I would go to the garage everyday and try to pull the clutch in. When I finally could do it I went for a ride :)

:beerchug:
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »

I'll go with "wimp".  :razz:

That was my choice to.  :smiley_thumb:
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »

Better than flying with a sinus infection. Trust me.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 11:31:37 AM »

Better than flying with a sinus infection. Trust me.

Popped an ear drum doing that.  :-[
this signature on hold pending review

Offline Spanky

• Contributor
  • Dogs get it
  • Motorcycles: Kawasaki C-14
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 11:42:29 AM »
Rode home from Toronto sick last year. Did not enjoy it, but it beat walking. I would not leave the house on a bike if I did not feel well, but I would ride home that way.

Offline cultureslayer

• Motorcycles: 1989 ninja 250
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »
I've learned the hard way that I shouldn't ride when I'm feeling a certain level of crappy or beyond.  I could have ridden today but took the car instead because I'm still not completely over a stomach bug I've had for a couple days and I was lightheaded this morning (probably from barely eating the last two days). 
Lauren

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »
Only time sickness ever held me back was when I had some crap in my lungs and was having major coughing fits...I just generally don't get that sick and if I do I am going no where be it in a car or on a bike..

Usually, same here - but now that I have a modular helmet again, I can just lift the front and spit that crap right out onto the road and keep on rolling.

- Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »
If it's commuting, I take the car.   A planned day ride, eh, that would depend on the day and how I was feeling, I think (i.e. if I were sick and it was also cold or raining, I'd probably skip the ride).

Obviously on long tours sometimes you just have to ride while sick.  I have fond memories, kind of, of being utterly drugged up and high as a kite on some kind of Canadian extra strength nasal spray and riding through British Columbia hallucinating about moose.  I wound up sleeping on a picnic table just outside of Chetwynd. 

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 12:17:08 PM »
If I feel like the trip will be a chance to rest, then I don't ride, I drive. 

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
I would not leave the house on a bike if I did not feel well, but I would ride home that way.

same here. I've rode enough to understand when my body says "aw, hell no!!!" and i don't ride. especially if I am tired. dropped bikes twice because i was tired and was new to the whole being tired while riding scenario. Being tired and/or being sick, nope, stay away from the bike if home. if at work, well, no choice. gotta get home somehow.

another weird situation that I won't ride is if weird things are happening to me as the day progresses.... like dropping something that i KNOW i had a firm grip on, or just a number of bad things happening in a row. THEN i stay off the bike too. I know it sounds weird, but if my mind is not right, that means my riding won't be right. or Full Moons. people are just F'n nuts during Full Moons.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »
Same here, riding and cold medicine don't mix. I may drive but I won't ride unless I have to.
Ride safe!

Online doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »
If I have a migraine or am super exhausted then I won't. Sometimes after my trainer destroys me in a workout I will be so sore that I won't ride. But since I got the tiger that doesn't happen to often.
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 07:41:20 AM »
I don't get sick all that often, not even sinus infections although I do get dried out sinuses which can be ice-cream headache painful. So when I'm not feeling "well", I'll take the bike on purpose and I immediately feel better :)

Sick? I stay home.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 08:18:19 AM »
Am I the only one that is just a tad concerned to read things like "no, I won't ride while jacked up on cold medicine . . . too dangerous," and realize this person may be the guy in the truck coming up behind me?

If so, never mind ;-}

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 08:19:38 AM »
Nope.  I really wonder what these people are taking though.  Doesn't sound like over the counter stuff.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 08:42:10 AM »
Am I the only one that is just a tad concerned to read things like "no, I won't ride while jacked up on cold medicine . . . too dangerous," and realize this person may be the guy in the truck coming up behind me?

If so, never mind ;-}

exactly, so its better to drive something that will injure others as opposed to something that will most likely only injure yourself?

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 09:09:58 AM »
Nope.  I really wonder what these people are taking though.  Doesn't sound like over the counter stuff.

And, they ain't sharing!

Bad manners!

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 09:14:13 AM »
Well, on a bike I spend a lot of time paying attention to my surroundings to avoid being in an accident (or on purpose). Riding sick would reduce my awareness thereby leaving me a lot more open to being injured or killed. Part of it is that riding a bike is a bit more involved with clutch and shifting, brake and throttle, rear brake. Plus gear like the helmet will be distracting, especially if you have a headache or sinus infection. Heck, a sneeze will fill the shield with phlegm leaving you in even more danger as you try to clear it (or just deal with flipping up the shield before sneezing).

With a car, or truck, I am a bit more comfortable. Less riding related stuff to distract me. I'm larger so folks are more likely to see me so I'm less worried about someone coming into my lane by surprise and me having to react. I can add heat, wear a scarf, and even sneeze and blow my nose without a problem. I can drink tea when driving to help relieve any discomfort and I think, be a safer driver.

Which is not to say I would do that anyway but it depends on just how sick or tired I am.

Carl

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 09:19:41 AM »
Well, on a bike I spend a lot of time paying attention to my surroundings to avoid being in an accident (or on purpose). Riding sick would reduce my awareness thereby leaving me a lot more open to being injured or killed. Part of it is that riding a bike is a bit more involved with clutch and shifting, brake and throttle, rear brake. Plus gear like the helmet will be distracting, especially if you have a headache or sinus infection. Heck, a sneeze will fill the shield with phlegm leaving you in even more danger as you try to clear it (or just deal with flipping up the shield before sneezing).

With a car, or truck, I am a bit more comfortable. Less riding related stuff to distract me. I'm larger so folks are more likely to see me so I'm less worried about someone coming into my lane by surprise and me having to react. I can add heat, wear a scarf, and even sneeze and blow my nose without a problem. I can drink tea when driving to help relieve any discomfort and I think, be a safer driver.

Which is not to say I would do that anyway but it depends on just how sick or tired I am.

Carl

This is my logic.

I feel I can drive safe (enough) when I'm too sick to ride safe (enough).

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »
If I am congested no, I do not ride.
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
It's more a mental thing with me.  Not the illness; the decision on whether or not to ride. 
Things don't go well when I don't feel enthusiastic about riding.
If my head's into it, I can ride in almost any condition; at least I believe I can.

Riding when you have a fever can be a real big mistake; instant hypothermia.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 09:20:15 PM »
I don't get sick.

You sick fuckers need to stay away from everyone else. Move to Australia or Paraguay. How do you think contagious sicknesses contage?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »
I don't get sick.

You sick fuckers need to stay away from everyone else. Move to Australia or Paraguay. How do you think contagious sicknesses contage?

By moving to Australia or Paraguay when we're sick?

Carl

Online M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 11:18:14 PM »
 If I don't feel like riding I don't. Doesn't matter if it's because I'm sick, tired or just don't feel like my head is in the game. I try to keep riding fun. I can deal with it if it isn't, but I try to avoid that when I can.

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 08:31:54 PM »
If I don't feel like riding I don't. Doesn't matter if it's because I'm sick, tired or just don't feel like my head is in the game. I try to keep riding fun. I can deal with it if it isn't, but I try to avoid that when I can.

I am with you on that, I don't have to ride I have other choices
  When I choose to ride I do and when not I don't
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 07:16:50 AM »
Since I always wear all my gear, it's usually more a matter of whether or not I feel like changing into riding gear.

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 08:56:08 AM »
Since I always wear all my gear, it's usually more a matter of whether or not I feel like changing into riding gear.

Or how fast you can get the gear off, depending on the type of sickness.
FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Led Rider LED Motorcycle Aux Lights - Use discount code "STO15"

Offline HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »
It depends what you consider 'sick' - as sick/healthy isn't a black and white concept.
I don't consider myself sick unless I'm on the couch under multiple blankets with the coffee table scattered with meds, kleenex, drinks and remotes.  Then I'm not driving anything.
When I had a problem with my shoulder - I rode to physical therapy at least once - but not the fist time.
My riding kit includes a few pseudoephedrine as weather changes sometimes mess up my sinuses.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
Any meds beyond coffee or aspirin, I'm OUT!
I would sooner stay over an extra day than go at less than full focus.
I'm sometimes randomly attacked by migraine, so I've learned to play my cards pretty close.
 :shrug:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

”And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned and he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!”

Offline FJRider

• Banned at ST.n!
    • Zombo
  • Motorcycles: 2009 FJR1300AE, 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ABS
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 09:24:45 AM »
I won't ride if I don't feel I'm in my best condition. I would rather be sick at home than sick in an ambulance.
A man is only as old as the woman he feels - Groucho Marx