Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 40 miles an BMW's S1000XR  (Read 1476 times)

Offline BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
40 miles an BMW's S1000XR
« on: September 26, 2015, 03:28:49 PM »
Welcome to a no picture review of the S1000XR.  I hope you like reading...  :)

It's Good!

The End.   8)

This morning was the Monster's turn for a ride.  She's been much neglected for quite some time now, in need of a major brake flush and a new exhaust hanger.  Still, she's done well on the track and I gave her a bit of TLC and now it was time for a brief spin.  A nice 90 mile loop of Ortega Highway had me pondering new grips for the Monster and the closest shop is still the home to my friends, Irv Seaver BMW.

I dropped in, said hi to a couple people and walked over to shake Brian's hand.  "What brings you in today?"  He asks.  Somewhat jokingly I say "How about a test ride on the XR?" 

"Sure, it's a slow day, be back in a couple hours?" 

Well that's settled then.  Kevin gave me a walkthrough on the bikes gizmo's.  ESA, Cruise, Ride Modes, Heated Grips, super power shifter, windscreen...The GPS wasn't installed but he showed me the grip controls for that too. 

I'm no stranger to the S1k platform having put a few miles down on Miles S1kRR and R's.  Phenomenal platforms they are.  At least on paper I thought the XR would be somewhere halfway between the S1KR and my GS.  I was...mostly right.

My first reaction was "And this is what the FJR always wanted to be". 

In no particular order, here are my thoughts:

1.  Roomy, GS tiller handlebars that give huge leverage.
2.  Huh, there's a steering damper down there and I get that's probably a good thing.
3.  The saddle is nigh on perfect.  I would not change it.  It's broad, firm and well sculpted.  It does somewhat lock one into a certain position but it's really just about perfect.
4.  The footpegs are lower, knee angle is superb.
5.  The fairing is a perfect combination of wind protection and airflow.  I wouldn't change it, but then again I'm 5'8"...
6.  It handles well but make no mistake it's no flyweight Air-cooled Ducati Monster...  BMW Claim 502# wet.  I'm calling BS on that - My bet is 540# wet. 
7.  This may be the ultimate lazy man's sport-tourer.  The motor makes huge torque and you can just leave the bike in 6th.  Or you can play with the power shifter which works with both up and downshifts perfectly.  Lower RPM shifts are a tad rubbery feeling as the bike settles on the drive train but shifting at 6k is stupidly perfect.
8.  Get on it, go cross country.  Enter a Rally.  Ride home.  BMW's mile-munching pedigree is obvious.
9.  The power - a little Dr. Jekyll - Mr. Hyde.  Under 7k it's docile and versatile.  Over 7k and it Hyde takes over.  The exhaust sounds great on the throttle but an Akra would still be an improvement.
10.  Looks - very subjective.  Having said that, I like it.  It's very distinctive and all the slash lines, micro beak and such come together to say "I'm a bike that does everything.  Like a punker with a 180 IQ.  Oh, and I party just as hard".
11.  Just because you asked:  the motor is pure joy.  A little buzzy through the handlebars but otherwise smooth and powerful.  No complaints here.

Would I buy one? 

If I was bikeless and someone dropped $20k in my lap - hell yes.  It might just be the perfect bike for street riding.  Super comfy, long range capable, luggage, safety gizmo's - yep, I could put a hundred thousand miles on one easy.

But what if you have an F800GS, a Ducati Monster and a WR250R in the garage?  Well, now that gets more difficult.  I could still see it but I just wouldn't see myself reaching for the keys to it all that often.  I'd want it for longer range sport-touring but that's something I've proven I can do on the GS (*albeit a tad more slowly). 

For me that's the problem:  as much as I like the bike it just doesn't really fill any useful gap in my garage.  Honestly, I'd be better off replacing the Monster with an S1000R and calling it a day.

So with some reluctance I handed the key's back to the fine folks at Seavers.  I swung my leg over the Duc, hit the starter and laughed at the unruly beast as she snarled through an open pipe.  Guys turned, children cheered and two women fainted.

Good times on a Saturday.

IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Online Prubert

• Contributor
  • I'm HUGE in Japan
  • Motorcycles: ‘13 KTM SM-T
Re: 40 miles an BMW's S1000XR
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »
I got to put about 50 miles on an XR on CA-36 last week.

I think the pipe sounds great stock, using the sift assist while running the the gears near redline is close to the price of admission.  :)

The is 1200 GS was my favorite bike but after some time with the XR I think I have a new Favorite. One of the other guys we were riding with rode it as well, he is trading his FJR I on one next week.

I like the power delivery of a twin but the S1000 in the XR is a I-4 that I could live with.
Prubert
‘13 KTM SM-T
Waukesha, WI

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
Re: 40 miles an BMW's S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:36:58 AM »
So with some reluctance I handed the key's back to the fine folks at Seavers.  I swung my leg over the Duc, hit the starter and laughed at the unruly beast as she snarled through an open pipe.  Guys turned, children cheered and two women fainted.

:rolf:

Glad you had a good time and thanks for the review!
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous