Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Movies! Movies! Movies! (potential spoilers)  (Read 93125 times)

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
Re: Movies! Movies! Movies! (potential spoilers)
« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2016, 09:56:14 AM »
Produced by: Some Douche Bag

Anyone catch the whole final bit being from "a certain other movie"?

Hell yes! One of my favorites!
this signature on hold pending review

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2016, 10:03:45 AM »
Produced by: Some Douche Bag

Anyone catch the whole final bit being from "a certain other movie"?

Hell yes! One of my favorites!

ST-O meetup in Chicago??

http://wgntv.com/2016/02/22/ferris-fest-to-mark-ferris-buellers-day-off-30th-anniversary-in-chicago/

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #252 on: February 22, 2016, 10:06:21 AM »
MUST. ATTEND.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #253 on: February 25, 2016, 10:48:07 AM »
Victor Frankenstein.

An interesting take from the life of Igor.  I enjoyed it.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #254 on: February 25, 2016, 07:43:15 PM »
I'm putting this here instead of the Random Video thread because it's nominated for the Oscar fro short film.
It's 15 minutes well spent.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #255 on: March 08, 2016, 02:23:35 PM »
Here's the trailer for Hardcore Henry.  I'm really looking forward to this movie.

Watch the preview in high-def full-screen.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #256 on: March 08, 2016, 02:31:28 PM »
I saw the trailer, and I simply can't do the whole thing in first-person like that. I just can't. Which is a shame. I'd like to love the movie, otherwise.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #257 on: March 08, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
Jolly Good.
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #258 on: March 08, 2016, 06:44:59 PM »
Two Indians Talking. Watched it last night. Intense, but pretty humorous in places.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2016, 01:07:49 AM »
Batman V Superman (potential spoilers)

I was hesitant as I made the trip to the theater, bought my ticket, and waited for the show to start.

Batman v Superman was an epic battle long before a frame of this movie was shot.

Back when Frank Miller's 4-part graphic novel, "The Dark Knight Returns", first hit the shelves in 1986 a bar was set so high that it would take a Kryptonian effort to meet expectations theatrically.

Various productions were beset by so many fits and starts before the current Zack Snyder collaboration successfully hit the silver screen that fans wondered if it would be possible without the backing of a real-life Bruce Wayne. Thankfully for us, it did.

What also harshed my buzz was the number of internet critics who were blasting it; some even before the late-Thursday "sneak" viewing.

After seeing it myself, I can set everyone's minds at ease. It successfully incorporated so many different needs that the writers should take a victory lap. What does that last bit means to those who casually snack on Superhero movies through their peripheral vision?

1. It needed to hit the high points of the ground breaking work by Frank Miller within the constraints of the medium.

2. It needed to introduce a host of new D.C. superheros in anticipation of:

3. It needed to lay the groundwork for the D.C. Cinematic Universe INCLUDING the anticipated Justice League movie.

Bear in mind that D.C. is far behind Marvel Studios in establishing itself to movie goers. Playing catch up isn't easy when the time line is as compressed as D.C. is facing. While Marvel had 12 years to establish various story lines leading up to the first Avengers movie, D.C. has been churning out repeated efforts at Superman and Batman origin stories. By the time some CEO looked around and realized the playing field had changed, they had 2 movies with which to build their foundational stories before JL needed to come out.

Batman V Superman is the first. Wonder Woman will be next when they flesh out her character (introduced in BvS) as well as introduce 3 more "new" characters only hinted at in this installment: Cyborg, The Flash, and Aquaman (who seems to be based on the King of Atlantis badass instead the orange-suited Superfriends version).

But back to this DCCU kick off. The only thing I can figure out about all the negative comments is that some people don't like non-linear story telling. In novels it's normal fare. For many movie goers in the US it's not. As a result much of Hollywood movies flow from A to B to C and wrap up the story in a nice bow at the end. Thanks goodness for stories like, "Pulp Fiction", and BvS which have broken with that tradition.

Did the writers hybridize Doomsday's origin story as well as the associated "Death of Superman" (drawn out over dozens of comic titles to try and get D.C. more income)? Sure but (IMO) in a good way. It gave a reason for the DCCU to exist as well as presented Supes with a challenge.

Why is that?

Comic readers have known for decades that the creation of an ultimate superhero can lead to a dead end of story lines once everything is possible and nothing is risky. Is a hero really a hero when he knows there's no risk to him in the actions he takes? Persevering in the face of insurmountable odds is what makes a hero super. And in BvS both Bats and Supes accept that challenge in their own ways to protect those things they see threatened. At points throughout the movie they are variously good and bad; hero and anti-hero for all their good intentions (regardless of the outcome).

The real villain is playing the long game which, we as viewers, know ahead of time is Lex Luthor but who doesn't reveal himself fully to everyone in the movie for more than 2 years. Sociopathic, paranoiac, psychopathic, highly intelligent as well as rich and powerful enough to further his plans. Sounds like the Lex I grew up reading about (if maybe played a little twitchier than I imagined, it still worked for me).

If you have had second thoughts about seeing it based on naysayers, then give it a chance; especially if you grew up reading D.C. and were gobsmacked by Frank Miller's work.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2016, 06:00:33 AM »
Thanks, Mark, for that review. I've heard mostly the bad, but I've also heard something that I suspected - Affleck does a fine, and occasionally kick-ass, job at playing both Batman *and* Bruce Wayne. I don't even begin to understand all the Hatefleck; the guy's a good actor, and has done nothing but mature and refine his skills, even when facing insurmountable odds in scripts and shit stories like Jersey Girl. Even Smith agrees that Jersey Girl should have remained a "some day" project for everyone involved, and should never have been made.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Again, thanks.

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2016, 07:12:51 AM »
Bridge Of Spies

It's amazing how many good movies Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks have made together. This is another. I saw it on Netflix and plan to buy it. The portrail of the Russian spie was so different and calm, it had a very different impact.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2016, 10:33:47 AM »
Sisters

I'm not usually into most of the post-SNL movies, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler definitely have a history with good timing. This one was the 'house party' movie for those of us in their 40's, but with that 19yr old sensibility that makes it funny. More entertaining than I had any expectation of.

! No longer available

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #263 on: March 29, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »
Thanks, Mark, for that review. I've heard mostly the bad, but I've also heard something that I suspected - Affleck does a fine, and occasionally kick-ass, job at playing both Batman *and* Bruce Wayne. I don't even begin to understand all the Hatefleck; the guy's a good actor, and has done nothing but mature and refine his skills, even when facing insurmountable odds in scripts and shit stories like Jersey Girl. Even Smith agrees that Jersey Girl should have remained a "some day" project for everyone involved, and should never have been made.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Again, thanks.

I think that JG was better than Tusk except for Tusk being so "out there conceptually" and brainstormed in front of the world on Smodcast through the whole "get it green lit" process.

As for Afleck, he disappeared behind the character as I watched the show. I didn't find myself looking at him and thinking "Ben" like I do in most of his movies. No over-the-top affectations like Bale and others have done to "push the darkness". I've heard actors talk about how they are doing well when they don't "look like they're acting". That was this.

I liked the tech solution to disguising Wayne's voice since that makes sense. Irons as Alfred also worked. His more active roll as an assistant was also a nice touch. Not simply dusting tchotchkes back in the mansion like the 60s TV show.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:30:23 PM by Bounce »

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #264 on: March 29, 2016, 12:28:42 PM »
Bridge Of Spies

It's amazing how many good movies Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks have made together. This is another. I saw it on Netflix and plan to buy it. The portrail of the Russian spie was so different and calm, it had a very different impact.

+1 Loved it too!
Ride safe!

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #265 on: March 30, 2016, 08:52:32 AM »
I think that JG was better than Tusk except for Tusk being so "out there conceptually" and brainstormed in front of the world on Smodcast through the whole "get it green lit" process.

As for Afleck, he disappeared behind the character as I watched the show. I didn't find myself looking at him and thinking "Ben" like I do in most of his movies. No over-the-top affectations like Bale and others have done to "push the darkness". I've heard actors talk about how they are doing well when they don't "look like they're acting". That was this.

I liked the tech solution to disguising Wayne's voice since that makes sense. Irons as Alfred also worked. His more active roll as an assistant was also a nice touch. Not simply dusting tchotchkes back in the mansion like the 60s TV show.

I figure, pretty much, every actor or actress has a look, sound and feel. Tatiana Maslany is the exception. That girl is just a flat out chameleon. Anyway, when dealing with a "flavor", like Olive Garden and Outback, you can always tell where the food came from. So it is with most actors. You can always "feel" the actor in the role, so on the rare occasions they do actually disappear into it, it's a nice treat.

But even the most wooden, boring, one-role, typecast actors (*cough*De Niro*cough*) may find a role or series of roles and can rock that role. I like Afleck in an actiony role. I think, honestly, Daredevil was a decent action flick with him in the role. * shrug * I'm not saying it's a great movie, but he wasn't the problem with it. I think lots of people confuse shitty writing, bad choices in roles, and horrible directing as the actor being the bad spot in a film.

Offline Jet-A-Pumper

• Motorcycles: '06 Connie
« Reply #266 on: March 31, 2016, 07:23:24 AM »
Finally got a chance to see Deadpool. What a hoot! Been a long time since I laughed out loud at a theater. Best line was when he was talking about how his life at the moment was a "crapshow".

"It was Yakov Smirnoff opening for The Spin Doctors at the Iowa State Fair crap show!" I was howling!
Qapla'!

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #267 on: March 31, 2016, 10:03:02 AM »
It is officially the highest earning R-rated movie on record.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #268 on: April 18, 2016, 09:48:42 AM »
The Enforcer (1951): Humphrey Bogart plays an Assistant District Attorney who is trying to get a witness against a mobster to the stand before the witness is killed by the mobster's enforcers. Even though Bogart wears a Pee Wee Herman suit, he's still the toughest guy in the room.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2016, 04:08:28 PM »
"Spacebabes Meet the Monsters"
(or what to do during a writers strike when Joss Whedon is busy making "Dr. Horrible" and even Kevin Smith won't return you calls)

45 minute student movie with questionable babes and a queen that might actually be one. Inconsistent micing with no budget for ADR. A mystical (bowling) ball. A monster named Gary. A primary cast of unknowns with a secondary cast fallen from the pinnacle of their careers and willing to work for scale (and craft services) that includes John Steed, J. F. Sebastian, and 2 or 3 others.

If you're expecting a gem like, "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra", keep looking.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #270 on: May 24, 2016, 06:02:01 PM »
Farewell Burt Kwouk.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline JonS

• Contributor
« Reply #271 on: May 24, 2016, 07:27:46 PM »
Yesterday, I bought The Martian in Blue Ray and decided that it,s the best Movie I have seen all year. I saw it when it came out, but forgot.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #272 on: May 24, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »
Yesterday, I bought The Martian in Blue Ray and decided that it,s the best Movie I have seen all year. I saw it when it came out, but forgot.

Read the book.
Listened to the audio book.
Saw the movie. While really good, the movie left out some excellent chunks from the book for time reasons.

Offline JonS

• Contributor
« Reply #273 on: May 25, 2016, 07:08:16 AM »

Read the book.
Listened to the audio book.
Saw the movie. While really good, the movie left out some excellent chunks from the book for time reasons.

I have the book. :thumbsup:

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #274 on: July 27, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »

I have had it with these mf'n gorillas on this mf'n island!

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #275 on: July 27, 2016, 08:32:49 PM »
Star Trek: Beyond: Good movie. Getting the character interactions down. Simon Pegg being one of the writers helps a lot. AND IT'S A NEW STORY instead of being a rehashed story from the delta quadrant.

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #276 on: August 08, 2016, 01:46:58 PM »
Sausage Party -  8)

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #277 on: August 08, 2016, 01:52:23 PM »
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #278 on: August 08, 2016, 02:31:26 PM »
Jason Bourne - We went to see it this weekend since we didn't have much to do and needed to get out of the house. Pretty much the same old stuff for this series. The movie had the typical way too long fight scenes and overdone car chases with they typical plot.

It was a tad bit boring IMHO.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2016, 04:08:37 PM »
Saw Star Trek Beyond last weekend.  I dunno.  Seems there's always going to be a supervillain who's searching for some McGuffin he needs to destroy the whatever and then the Enterprise gets blown up and rebuilt.  I give it 3 Meh's out of 5.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #280 on: August 08, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »
Dunkirk

Offline JonS

• Contributor
« Reply #281 on: August 09, 2016, 01:06:02 PM »

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
« Reply #282 on: August 09, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »
Saw Star Trek Beyond last weekend.  I dunno.  Seems there's always going to be a supervillain who's searching for some McGuffin he needs to destroy the whatever and then the Enterprise gets blown up and rebuilt.  I give it 3 Meh's out of 5.
agree. It was more like an episode than a movie. Not bad, but some really stupid plot points.
My hovercraft is full of eels

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #283 on: August 09, 2016, 02:17:26 PM »
The Christmas movie season is looking promising this year..... or not  ???

Bad Santa 2 Red Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRrddku5xRk

*Note did not direct embed due NSFW or kids content

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #284 on: August 09, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »
Dunkirk

Watch the original. It's a masterpiece.

! No longer available
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #285 on: August 09, 2016, 02:37:56 PM »
agree. It was more like an episode than a movie. Not bad, but some really stupid plot points.

At least this time it was a good Star Trek entry, and not a fun Generic Space Action Movie. Both the previous ones were beautiful, fun, epic Generic Space Action Movies, but were very far afield a solid Roddenberry-esque ST piece.

$.02

Online MrsCablebandit

• Purveyor of Cookies.org
    • Pineapple Ponderings
  • Motorcycles: '10 C14 Passenger
« Reply #286 on: August 09, 2016, 06:30:04 PM »
Saw Jason Bourne this afternoon... I'm a sucker for the franchise, so I enjoyed it. I would have loved to be in Vegas when that chase scene was filmed! Tommy Lee Jones looks OLD. I mean, I know he's old...but damn, Daniel.
I used to make a bigger impression.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Ride reports and other musings.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #287 on: August 09, 2016, 06:41:03 PM »
At least this time it was a good Star Trek entry, and not a fun Generic Space Action Movie. Both the previous ones were beautiful, fun, epic Generic Space Action Movies, but were very far afield a solid Roddenberry-esque ST piece.

$.02

Yup

In The Heart Of The Sea: I didn't want to watch this as much as my wife did. Once I understood it was about the actual story informing "Moby Dick", I got more interested but was still easily distracted by my mobile device.

Bridge of Spies: Very good! I agree with all the recognition it got.

Forsaken: Not the same story at all but it felt to me like "Unforgiven". Perhaps because it was of that level of (good) production quality and the actors were on their game with a good script.

Burnt:  Meh

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: Not the comedy I was expecting. A little gallows humor as is common in combat zones but a drama I liked.

Hacking Democracy: I personal think this should be mandatory viewing for all high school civics classes (even though I know they dropped that from the standard curriculum because an educated voter is dangerous.

Welcome to the Jungle: The goofball comedy I expected WTF to be. Don't go in expecting Shakespeare and you should enjoy it.

Hail Caesar: A pretty good comedy with George Clooney getting at least one chance to do his "Mah Haier" look from OBWAT. If you're a movie buff there will be lots of inside references to characters (with names just slightly off) and movie genre/types that you'll want to elbow someone and do a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge".

Deadpool: Saw it in the theater and watched it twice more on DVD before sending it back. Winner winner!

As a group, in descending order.

Hacking Democracy
Bridge of Spies
Forsaken
Deadpool
WTF
Hail Caesar
Welcome to the Jungle

and give Burnt a pass

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #288 on: August 20, 2016, 06:44:59 PM »
Ben Hur.

:facepalm:

Didn't know George Clinton was back doing movies. Thought PCU was his swan song.

Chariot race was kinda cool, but the rest was a disjointed mess of an After School Special. At least Jesus didn't have blue eyes.
Torque is cheap.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #289 on: August 20, 2016, 08:19:05 PM »
Ben Hur.

Didn't know George Clinton was back doing movies. Thought PCU was his swan song.

Chariot race was kinda cool, but the rest was a disjointed mess of an After School Special. At least Jesus didn't have blue eyes.

The front man for The Parliament Funkadelics does movies?

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #290 on: August 20, 2016, 09:10:44 PM »
Ben Hur.

I was thinking the same thing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #291 on: August 21, 2016, 12:02:41 PM »
Ben Hur.

I was thinking the same thing.

:beerchug:

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #292 on: August 21, 2016, 03:08:27 PM »
For fcks sake, if ya gotta explain it........ :nuts:

Torque is cheap.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #293 on: August 21, 2016, 03:45:53 PM »

Like a Twinkie... like a Twinkie...

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #294 on: August 21, 2016, 03:55:51 PM »

Guess what. Not everyone outside of California follows Hollywood's useless ways.

And yes, I now get it. One of my most favoritest actors.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #295 on: August 29, 2016, 06:10:35 PM »
Went to see Hell Or High Water today.  Pretty decent for a matinee; Jeff Bridges carried the film IMO.   

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #296 on: August 29, 2016, 07:43:45 PM »
I thoroughly - completely and wholly - enjoyed Suicide Squad. The bad guy was meh... but it wasn't a bad guy vs. good guy story anyway, so that's fine.

Thoroughly. Enjoyed.

Also, cheap-ass Sunday matinee for the win.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #297 on: August 29, 2016, 08:47:38 PM »
^ this

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #298 on: August 29, 2016, 10:01:27 PM »
"In the Heart of the Sea"

Loved it.  It's the "true-as-Hollywood-can-make-it" real story of The Essex, a ship that was attacked by a whale in the south Pacific.  The story inspired Herman Mellville to write Moby Dick, one of my favs.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #299 on: August 30, 2016, 09:41:04 AM »
"In the Heart of the Sea"

Loved it.  It's the "true-as-Hollywood-can-make-it" real story of The Essex, a ship that was attacked by a whale in the south Pacific.  The story inspired Herman Mellville to write Moby Dick, one of my favs.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Saw a history bit about the story some months back. They now suspect that it was sounds, transmitted through the water, by the work on the ship (hammering, etc.) that might have been misinterpreted by the bull whale as challenges. So the whale attacked for misunderstanding; not due to evil malice.