Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Musicians! Anyone Here Play?!  (Read 12450 times)

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
Musicians! Anyone Here Play?!
« on: November 30, 2013, 08:59:34 PM »
Whilst not a paid musician (at least not yet), I have been playing for the past three years. I started off in the mid 90's getting a Fender Telecaster but never really was motivated enough to really learn. I was able to play a couple of riffs but when a coworker came over one night for some LAN party fun, he kicked the gain up and had some fun with it. Heck, I thought he broke the amp  :o

Three years ago I decided to take lessons. I met up with Zack at the local music shop and started learning how to play my tele. With some funds here and there, I was able to diversify a little getting different styles of guitars. Then I discovered Bass (through Rocksmith) and have a few instruments there as well.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The Telecaster is on the far right. Next is the Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute I picked up last August. Then the Ibanez Artcore because I wanted a semi-hollow bodied guitar. Bought Christmas 2011. Then the Fender Stratocaster. That's the second guitar I bought with a bonus I received at work instead of a raise ('retention bonus'). Finally the Peavey Ghost Rider themed guitar because it had Ghost Rider on it :D

With an award from work, I expanded my output by buying a Fender Amp:

Earlier this year, one of my coworkers said he was quitting and was selling his Marshall Half Stack so I went ahead and bought them.

Now I really like the Ibanez Artcore but the body is far too thick for my current level of playing. I'm getting better at playing without looking at the fretboard but still not quite there. While I was checking out gear at one of the local places, a thinline Ibanez Artcore called out to me. I plugged it in and it sounded and felt great.

Last year I also picked up a Bass. An Ibanez GSR200. Lower end 4 string bass but it did the job for me. Introducing me to bass playing and generally helping me with having fun. Recently (like a month ago), I decided it was time for an early Christmas present and picked up a new bass:

An Ibanez SDGR SR800. Sounds great, real thin neck so I'm comfortable, and I'm really having fun with it.

Add in the various pedals I've picked up, plus a PA system and I'm ready to jam at any time.

So, anyone else here play?

Carl
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:21:31 AM by dm_gsx1300r »
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline endo

• I EARNED my handle.
  • Motorcycles: 02 Kawasaki ZZR1200
Re: Musicians! Anyone Here Play?!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »
I used to play bass in a band back in my college days and was amazed at how much money people would pay to hear a garage band!  I sold my bass amp and couple of years ago and every time I think about it I regret it, so I watched Craigslist and bought a Fender amp with a single 12" speaker which sounds great.  I did keep the guitar - an SD Curlee series 1, circa 1980.  It needs some work but is still playable.

I wanted to get a 6-string back in my hands and had never played electric guitar so I bought a nice little Washburn Maverick BT-2 along with a Marshall practice amp.  I paid $140 for them and have gotten all kinds of enjoyment out of it.

Finally, I bought a beautiful Takamine acoustic/electric a year or so ago.  It REALLY needs some work since the previous owners girlfriend did an El Kabong with it and splintered some of the wood.  It still sounds fantastic and plays wonderfully, though.  I paid $50 for it.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:56:05 PM »
Not much of a musician any more, but I spent my early twenties playing bass with a small club house band for fun and profits (and wimmens) as my second job. That ended shortly after the birth of my daughter, and I sold off my gear about 10 years after that due to a need for funds and a neglect of using them.  Since then though, I've always had something cheap to plink on, and since the move to Longmont, I've become a Craigslist junkie and rebuilt a rig a bit at a time...

Over the first 6-8 months of being gainfully re-employed, I've was treating myself to a Craigslist binge of about $100 per month. Picked up this to start with (while I had a buddies amp to play through) for $80. Virtually unused, with a wang to the neck that spoke of years drying out unused. Easily fixed with a couple days readjusting and some new strinds... When did Rotosounds get cheap?

The next 6 months consisted of (about a month or so apart) the head unit pictured above (Behringer BX4500H), then the 210 Peavey bottom cab, then the Hartke 410.

Then, just to provide variability, I scored this for $50 from Guitar Center. Used of course.

That led to perusing Craigslist for a P-bass style axe, and that ended up with  me picked up these 2 cheapies for a C-note for both:

Since then, Nothing more than a replacement driver for the cabinet, and a new to me effects processor (that I'm still learning to use). Zoom B2.1U

For the record, nothing in this photo purchased for over $100, over half of it for $50 or under, purchases as low as $20.  Including the amplification components. The Mrs. shakes her head at me, but she's also encouraging me in my acquisitions. So it's her fault. Yeah.

Haven't done much seriously in a while, but I will say I'm getting tired of playing with myself kinda... Might have to pull together with some old friends or some new ones this winter to see whether I still remember how to keep time...

LT

Great googly-moogly!

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:59:32 PM »
Do I hear STOners garage band.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:03:07 AM »
From about 4th grade through college I worked my way through pretty much the entire brass section (my favorites were flugel and french horns), double bass, harmonica and a little percussion as well as singing (choral and jazz).

I still sing the jazz (mostly in the kitchen at work  :redface: ), and I'm still pretty good at it. And I noodle with my harmonicas. This one is my favorite, the knob on the end sharps the whole harp when it's pushed in. Big fun.

I can still rustily play the trumpet but the only tune I really remember is "The Stripper" and I don't have one anymore (I had to sell it for rent money about twenty years ago).
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 12:49:38 AM »
Do I hear STOners garage band.

I can sing.  Can't play an instrument to save my ass but I can sing...
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 06:57:12 AM »
Drummer, not a musician.  :P Playing at various churches for the past 25 years and in a small time band for the past 2 years.
I started this one a little bit too fast. It grooves better slightly slower.
Sean Campbell Band - Full Speed Ahead

And here's my almost vintage Rogers kit:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:00:03 PM by slayman »
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 07:22:12 AM »
From about 4th grade through college I worked my way through pretty much the entire brass section (my favorites were flugel and french horns), double bass, harmonica and a little percussion as well as singing (choral and jazz).

I still sing the jazz (mostly in the kitchen at work  :redface: ), and I'm still pretty good at it. And I noodle with my harmonicas. This one is my favorite, the knob on the end sharps the whole harp when it's pushed in. Big fun.

I can still rustily play the trumpet but the only tune I really remember is "The Stripper" and I don't have one anymore (I had to sell it for rent money about twenty years ago).

Can you teach me to play this?

i eats paste

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 07:27:29 AM »
Acoustic for about 13 years.  I too play in church, at school, and the occasional "other".  Saturday it's a wedding for a friend.  I also have an electric I play rarely and a bass I play at school quite frequently.  We have another acoustic player there, so I usually play the bass.

Fun stuff!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 07:30:26 AM »
I played guitar in local (Pittsburgh) rock bands in 80s and 90s doing a mix of mostly covers plus some originals. Found out I was a better recording engineer than guitarist, so I opened a home studio in the 80s that grew into a real commercial facility in the 90s, and then retired back to the home (computer based) studio but still did work for local bands. I stopped recording and playing in bands circa 2004 or so but still kept most of my gear.

Then a year ago, a guitarist I've know since the early days (and I recorded 3 albums for) calls me up and says he wants me to join his band. He wants me to fill out the sound (was a power trio) and take some of the load off him from having to play guitar, sing, and do all the leads. The material is almost 100% originals. We play 20 new originals plus 10 from previous albums and another dozen or so covers. Oh, and we're a bunch of old farts with everyone except the drummer in our 50s :-)

It's been a fun year of knocking the rust off my meager skills and gigging again. Since we couldn't find a cheap local studio to record those 20 originals in, I've re-equipped the home studio and we are in the middle of recording them as I type. We got drum tracks for 12 songs Friday and Saturday and hope to nail the last 8 today. Then months of overdubs and mixing to follow.

Here are a couple pics from this weekend: my garage turned drum booth and my control room You can see my Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus on the stand. I've got a G&L Legacy (blue strat style electric) in the corner next to my 1969 Martin D-18 (wonderful acoustic). I play through either a Vox Valvetronix AD60T (modeling amp) or a recently purchased Carvin V3M combo amp (50W three channel tube amp).

Here are links to some YouTube phone videos from a gig this summer:

KGB - The Disease

KGB - Full Moon

KGB - Dirty Mean and Nasty
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:55:15 AM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline satxbonneville

• Bailiff, whack his peepee!
  • Motorcycles: '04 Bonneville T100, '03 V-Strom 1000, '06 Ninja 500
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »
I have 2 electrics - an Epi Les Paul and an old Martin Stinger Strat copy and 2 acoustics - a mid-70's vintage Applause that I picked up at a pawn shop 30+ years ago and a tenor guitar that somehow ended up in my possession.

I used to play a couple of hours every day but I haven't touched any of them with any seriousness in about 2 years. It comes down to available time to dedicate to things that I want/need to do.

I have never taken any lessons and my self-taught technique is probably utterly wrong but it works for me and I played for the fun of it. Really like playing blues.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 08:03:15 AM »
Nope. Not me.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 08:06:44 AM »

Finally, I bought a beautiful Takamine acoustic/electric a year or so ago.  It REALLY needs some work since the previous owners girlfriend did an El Kabong with it and splintered some of the wood.  It still sounds fantastic and plays wonderfully, though.  I paid $50 for it.

Good job. I had one of the Fender acoustics but sold it to a friend who had an Esteban special. I talked her into taking lessons and the guys highly suggested replacing it with something that would hold a tune longer than one song :)

Carl

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 08:11:15 AM »
For the record, nothing in this photo purchased for over $100, over half of it for $50 or under, purchases as low as $20.  Including the amplification components. The Mrs. shakes her head at me, but she's also encouraging me in my acquisitions. So it's her fault. Yeah.

Haven't done much seriously in a while, but I will say I'm getting tired of playing with myself kinda... Might have to pull together with some old friends or some new ones this winter to see whether I still remember how to keep time...

LT

Cool. I remember you were looking at coming out here. If you like, maybe we can get together and jam? I've been mostly playing along with Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014 but need to break away from it and try some stuff without that, well "crutch" maybe.

Carl

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 09:01:02 AM »

[/quote]

I've been mostly playing along with Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014 but need to break away from it and try some stuff without that, well "crutch" maybe.

Carl
[/quote]

I just started playing guitar last spring. Fender squire strat standard. I took lessons for a couple months till summer hit. I really cant play anything yet but am able to make sounds that are pleasant to my ear. (wife would disagree but she is my groupie). Even though I am just learning, I get a big kick out of playing.

How is Rocksmith for teaching to play? It sounds like a great product and I'm thinking of trying it.

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 09:37:51 AM »
 Started playing guitar when I was about 8. Got more serious about it in my teens. Did the So Cal metal thing, and made a record back in the mid '80s. Took a break for a few years, played the local bar circuit, and made another record in the late '90s. Neither were very successful. Screwed around with audio engineering along the way, but started studying it seriously around 2000. Built a mediocre home studio. Helped a friend, and former bandmate with some recordings. Haven't been playing or recording much lately, but haven't sold any gear. Don't plan to.

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 10:29:49 AM »
I still play, just for fun.  I'm the singer and mostly rhythm guitarist for a rock band (although I probably play more leads than most lead guitarists simply due to the format of our music).  We don't tour because we all have normal jobs and lives but I did really like being on tour when I did that.

The real lead guitarist is my best friend.  We've been playing together for twenty years and are looking at buying adjoining properties, which should give some idea of how close we are.  Our first US tour was in a van I built myself our of two broken vans and a chrysler cordoba.  I was 18.

I mostly play an Ibanez AR300 from 82, or an early 90s Jackson.  I run it through a Marshall 9001 tube preamp and a 9200 tube power amp - it's 2 x 100 watt marshall power amps.  It's fairly obscene.  My amp head weighs about 120 pounds.  It's appropriate for playing stadiums.  I use it to play small, dingy bars.

The other guitarist plays an old mahogany SG through a Soldano rig.  We've never made any money - probably less than what we've spent on gear over the years.  But it's awesome to get up there and shred away.  We have a small local following.  Our shows can be a little wild at times.  It depends on the venue.

This is footage of one that was pretty calm but it's a good clear recording.

The Sixgun Confederacy "breed like rats" live
Support 12-5

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
I tried for years to learn to play the guitar. Took lessons. Have a Yamaha something guitar.
My father has a great tenor voice, my youngest has a amazing voice, plays the flute and piano, can learn and memorize a song in hours and render it without faults.
Musical talent just skipped a generation.  :shrug:
Ride safe!

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 11:17:50 AM »
I did a quick Rocksmith video this morning :)

Carl

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »

Can you teach me to play this?

I've been wheezing through harmonicas since I was nine or ten years old and still mostly suck at it. That doesn't make it less fun, but it does mean that maybe I'm not the guy for teaching style & method.

But if you've got a trombone in there somewhere I know a few tricks.  :lol:
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »
I don't totally suck (just mostly) at a blues harp either. The Chromonica was a gift.
i eats paste

Online coho

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »
So to recap:
1. We both 'mostly' suck at harmonica-ing.
2. A chromatic harp makes everything sound like klezmer.
3. It's time to get the band back together.

Introducing the Black's Brothers Rhythm and Blues Revue!

:snork:

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »
i eats paste

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 01:37:19 PM »
I did a quick Rocksmith video this morning :)

http://youtu.be/tqjLCB2pLpU

Carl

Sound removed.  Copyright crap.   :crazy:  I wanted to hear it too!
"Buckwheat is dead"

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »
Bah, I'll upload it to my host later.

Carl

Online Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 02:36:06 PM »
Bah, I'll upload it to my host later.

Right-o. I was click'n and thought it perhaps a joke - listen to me - not...

FWIW, as you mention your host, I have simply gone HTML5 video and skipped youtube and flash altogether. The FreeMake.com video converter (source vid to HTML5) does a nice, quick job.

For a sample on how it works... (three vids at the top of the page)
www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2013-11-10--pole-hill--tree-clearing/
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »

LT

Cool. I remember you were looking at coming out here. If you like, maybe we can get together and jam? I've been mostly playing along with Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014 but need to break away from it and try some stuff without that, well "crutch" maybe.

Carl

I'd be up for that Carl.  I'd also like to take a gander at your Rocksmith setup... wondered if something like that might help me make music on a 6string instead of isolated music-like noises. (Ok ok,  I want to ogle your new bass too)
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »
Frequently when I pick up my guitar and start to mess around with it, these lyrics from Rush's 2112 come to mind.

What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out it's pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently like rain

I can't wait to share this new wonder
The people will all see it's light
Let them all make their own music
The Priests praise my name on this night

:beerchug:

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 07:15:23 PM »

LT

Carl

I'd be up for that Carl.  I'd also like to take a gander at your Rocksmith setup... wondered if something like that might help me make music on a 6string instead of isolated music-like noises. (Ok ok,  I want to ogle your new bass too)
LT

Just let me know when. I'm on call next week so I'm somewhat teathered. I think I have a date next Saturday but that might be just to kibitz my light assembly prowess :D

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
I used to have...too many guitars around. I've seriously cut back and now just have a Takamine acoustic, my Fender American Standard Strat, and a cheap classical.

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »
I dabble.  I'm a Fender fan with a couple of Teles and Strats and Fender amps.  I also have a Seagull acoustic.

Offline Hodge Podge

• Hare Apparent
  • Motorcycles: Not right now
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 12:10:42 PM »
I've played drums on and off for the last ~30 years, including a stint in a blues/Southern rock band in the mid-90s. Good fun.

The kit:

My older daughter is a natural--here she is at 2 years old:

Online slayman

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »
Finally another drummer. And all those toms. Sweet.

I've played drums on and off for the last ~30 years, including a stint in a blues/Southern rock band in the mid-90s. Good fun.

The kit:

My older daughter is a natural--here she is at 2 years old:

"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 09:08:33 PM »
3 hours of guitar practice tonight.  My ringers are out of shape and gonna be sore tomorrow!
"Buckwheat is dead"

Offline M.Brane

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
3 hours of guitar practice tonight.  My ringers are out of shape and gonna be sore tomorrow!

The deep cut on the tip of my L index finger I got scraping the gasket residue off the clutch cover on my VFR is just about healed. Looking forward to rebuilding the callous.

Offline Hodge Podge

• Hare Apparent
  • Motorcycles: Not right now
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 07:49:34 AM »
Finally another drummer. And all those toms. Sweet.

I bought the kit in '95, and it came with the 12" and 13" rack toms, 14" and 15" concert toms, the 16" floor, and two 22" bass drums. Over the past couple years I  sold the concert toms and added the 14" rack tom and 18" floor tom (awesome depth). Next up is getting the second bass drum operational (missing 10 T-rods and claws). Then I'll start filling in the cymbal line-up. Good fun!

God bless living in the age of eBay and Craigslist--piecing a vintage kit together is so much easier now! 

Since you seem to be a Rogers guy, you might be interested to know that the snare in the pic is a 14"x5" mid-60s COB Dyna-Sonic. Such a sweet snare. My other snare is a late-90s Ludwig hammered bronze Supraphonic, and I usually prefer the Rogers snare. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:02:55 AM by Hodge Podge »

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
You gotta play until you bleed:

:D

Carl

Offline stromgal

• Contributor
  • Age Quod Agis
  • Motorcycles: FJ-09, Weeee Strom
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »
Singer, guitarist (rhythm or fingerstyle), basic rock n' roll keyboards, and congas/timbales/bongos/assorted percussion junk. Joined my first band at 15, played steadily (part-time, but as much as 4 x week) for the next 23 years. Then worked as a church musician for another 12 before returning to rock in two more bands. Currently unemployed. :gerg:

Got a basement full of keys, amps, p.a. systems, drums, lights... really ought to start selling some of this stuff!

Guitars are a '68 Gibson SG Junior, '88 Taylor 810, Ibanez somethin-or-other. The 3 year old Taylor Baby sitting next to my living room chair gets played every day. Music has been a huge blessing in my life.
The Lone Rangerette

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 07:48:06 AM »
How is Rocksmith for teaching to play? It sounds like a great product and I'm thinking of trying it.

From my perspective, you get to play along with a lot of actual songs. It's quite a bit better than putting in a CD and jamming along, since in Rocksmith you actually get to fill in the guitar parts rather than trying to play around what's already on the CD. I do wish it allowed for improvisation, but I'm not sure how they'd score that, so...oh well.

The arcade modes are good for building technique. One of the games, Scale Runner, covers a lost of modes and scales. It's not all inclusive, but still really solid. It will teach technique, but won't really teach music theory, which may not be a big deal to you.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
Rocksmith 2014

55 new songs from Aerosmith (Walk This Way) to The Who (My Generation) and lots of indie artists.

Rocksmith DLC transfers without a glitch (for me of course). You must own Rocksmith and you have to buy a $10 tool for the license transfer of the content from the original game.

Within the game:

1. There are three tracks; Lead Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, and Bass. You use the Ctrl key to change tracks which changes the available arrangements (PC of course).

2. Learn a song - Brings up the available songs on your track. Some will have an 'X' to show there's no arrangement for that track. The option lets you play the song and have it gradually improve the notes. You can hit 'Space' to drop right into Riff Repeater and make lots of lots of mods including (as I understand as I haven't tried it yet) slow down the entire song. As you improve, the notes will disappear (fade away) as you master sections. The notes will come back if you have problems with it.

3. Guitarcade - There are three sections here:

a. Technique Challenges - Several cheesy looking games that help you get better at the listed technique. Cheesy is excellent though. I've played the slider game on Bass where you have to slide from fret number to fret number which correspond to poles on a landscape. I also played the new ducks game. You hit a fret for the identified string to hit the duck like the old one, but there's a wall coming your way. You hit a rainbow duck flying across the top to change strings and reset the wall. I also played the Castle of the Chordead. You're walking through a graveyard and as zombies pop up, you are prompted to play a chord (Em for instance). You'll be prompted over and over again until you pass that section (it is all automated so you're not really 'exploring'). Eventually you'll have three chords you've been playing and you'll meet the end game monster which is killed by variations of the three chords.

b. Score Attack - This is the list of all the songs you saw on Learn A Song. The ones you received as part of the game or bought as DLC. Each song has four levels. Easy, Medium, Hard, Master. The levels are hard set to match the level. So they won't get better or worse as you play. This is a game and don't forget. You get points for correct timing. You can also get dinged for Missing a note. Too many dings and you get a big red X in the upper left corner. Three big red X's and the game ends with a fail. If you succeed, you get either a Bronze pick, a Silver one, a Gold one, or a Platinum one depending on how you did. As you succeed in hitting the notes, a counter increases on the right. After a certain number of points, the multiplier increases by one to a maximum of 99. There are checkpoints at 5 points, 10, 25, 50, and 99. When you 'Miss' a note, the multiplier drops down to the closest checkpoint and you start over at that checkpoint. Scores are kept track of on a 'Leaderboard' but there is no overall score.

c. Leaderboard Challenge - Basically Rocksmith 2014 lists several things for you to do to improve. For example, a leaderboard challenge might be to improve your score on a song or to play one of the games or any of several other options.

Session Mode - This is your Improvisational Mode. You are presented with four blank spots. These spots can be filled in with various types of instruments or you can load a preset 'band'. Next you have a selection of configuration options for the session. The mode (Minor Pentatonic for instance). Speed. The setting and other bits. When you're ready, hit space and the band sits there idle. You have the scale on the screen (upside down though :( ) and you just start playing. As you play, the band picks up and plays along with you increasing tone if you play louder and dropping away if you start getting quieter.

Continuous Play - Here you can select a series of songs to put in a set list. When you start, it goes from song to song with a short break between songs and you just play the song that you picked. You can play the set list over and over again and you can modify the list.

There are a couple of other bits like the tone designer that lets you create your own special settings. As you play songs, you unlock bits. Mostly things like customizable inlays for your virtual fret or songs or amp covers. There is a specific list of unlocks and they are unlocked in order. Towards the end, you actually get the Rocksmith tune as an unlockable song.

I think that's the main stuff. I have a wiki I'm working on to try and document some of this stuff but this will be the most complete info I have right now :)

Carl

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 09:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the write up Carl. The technique challenges sound like they would make it more fun to learn. Will ask the wife to get it for me for Christmas.  :)

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 07:07:05 AM »
You can pop over to the wiki too. I don't have a lot of stuff yet but I'm gradually adding bits. Once I get to a critical mass, I'll open it up to the guys on the forums to start populating it with their info as well.

http://rocksmith.schelin.org/wiki

Carl

Online slayman

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2013, 07:56:19 PM »
My perch for the evening. We'll see if this works?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2014, 10:06:19 PM »
Thread resurrection. 

So I've had pedals for a couple years for my electric, but only really started playing with them more last last few months.  I needed to do something (as it's a PIA to wire them all separately and such), and remembered my old briefcase.  I built a platform on hinges that raises up and locks in place for access to the pedals with the case open, then when it's time to close the platform folds down for storage and transport.  I set it all up with the pedals ziptied in to see how it worked for a few sets, and it was awesome, so in the last few days I removed the pedals, sanded it down, painted it, and put the pedals in with velcro.  It's a millions times better and easier than a tangled mess of pedals and cords...

Pedals up for playing:

Pedals down for storage:

There's little that is more rewarding than solving your own problem with something you made.  :thumbsup:
"Buckwheat is dead"

Offline M.Brane

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »
Thread resurrection. 

So I've had pedals for a couple years for my electric, but only really started playing with them more last last few months.  I needed to do something (as it's a PIA to wire them all separately and such), and remembered my old briefcase.  I built a platform on hinges that raises up and locks in place for access to the pedals with the case open, then when it's time to close the platform folds down for storage and transport.  I set it all up with the pedals ziptied in to see how it worked for a few sets, and it was awesome, so in the last few days I removed the pedals, sanded it down, painted it, and put the pedals in with velcro.  It's a millions times better and easier than a tangled mess of pedals and cords...

Pedals up for playing:

Pedals down for storage:

There's little that is more rewarding than solving your own problem with something you made.  :thumbsup:

Sweet. I had a dedicated board many years ago. Just quit using it at some point when I went through a pedal changing phase, and never went back to it.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2014, 10:25:14 AM »
Nice. I got one of the Gator ones a year or two back when I did the Band Camp thing.

Lots of great tunes for Rocksmith. Still, I feel like I need to somehow move on. Nothing wrong with having fun with it but I'd like to get better without having notes coming at me. :)

Carl

Offline M.Brane

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »
Nice. I got one of the Gator ones a year or two back when I did the Band Camp thing.

Lots of great tunes for Rocksmith. Still, I feel like I need to somehow move on. Nothing wrong with having fun with it but I'd like to get better without having notes coming at me. :)

Carl

I really miss playing in the bands with other real musicians. It seems it's just too hard to find the time & place to do that anymore.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »
I debated getting a bunch of pedals a couple years ago when I joined the band, but I'm not really into effects. I'm more of a "plug straight into a tube amp and go" kinda guy. A nice tube crunch with a hint of reverb is all I really *need*. I prefer delay to reverb and it's nice to be able to throw some chorus on once in a while, but my needs are simple.

I ended up buying a Zoom G3X that I hook into the effects loop to supply chorus, delay, reverb and any other weird effects (phasers, etc). The nice thing about the G3X is that you can create presets of six effects and turn three of them on/off using footswitch just like analog pedals. It's also a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of pedals that you have to manually tweak to change their sounds. I can quickly change presets and not fiddle with knobs on boxes.

That said, I just ordered a Dunlop wah to put ahead of the amp as I don't like the sound of the wah effect in the G3X because it's post-distortion. I might buy a nice analog compressor to put ahead of the amp too. It's a PITA when you use the amp for distortion because some effects sound better ahead of the amp and others sound best in the effects loop, so you end up running three cables from the pedal board to the amp instead of just one.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »
My brother has 10 or so guitars of various models and has decided to get rid of about half of them that he isn't using any more. He does live in Venice California (LA area behind Venice Beach) and is in a very small duplex. Anyway, I was checking out what he was divesting himself of and one of the guitars caught my eye. I asked for what he was selling them for and he quoted a pretty good price (brotherly discount :D ). One of my coworkers was interested in another one so last week my brother sent out two guitars. Mine arrived yesterday:

ESP Esquire II. It even has Rocksmith strings on it :)  (He did provide a second set of strings just in case :D ).

Carl

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
  • Motorcycles: SV650, C3, Sprint GT
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2015, 02:00:35 PM »
Nice! What else is he unloading?