Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Handguns.  (Read 7564 times)

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
Handguns.
« on: November 29, 2013, 02:14:43 PM »
I thought I'd start the obligatory handgun show-off thread with a gun I used in a course last weekend.

Then another gun showed up via courier and I started detail stripping it to get the packing grease off, and was basically chucking parts down on the floor and liked the way it looked, so I cleaned it up a bit, chucked the old gun in the frame and snapped a picture.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Support 12-5

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Re: Handguns.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »
An artiste! :razz:

I usually have ammunition put away when I'm cleaning guns.visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline misanthropist

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »
Sometimes I worry about that and I don't think it's a bad policy but I'm not totally strict about it.  I'd have to screw up the reassembly process pretty badly to accidentally put a round in the chamber while I'm working.

In this case I had one gun apart, and was carrying some brand new mags that had been left loaded for a few days to calm the springs down.  I was moving them from one room to another when I suddenly thought I could toss them down next to the guns and I was emptying them anyway to relax the springs.

In general I agree with you but depending on the situation I don't get too wrapped around the axle about it.  I'm treating them like they're loaded anyway.
Support 12-5

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »
I'll play.

My Ruger Blackhawk.

Ruger SRC9 Compact

Uberti 1860 Army

Ruger Single-Six

Springfield 1911
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
Ruger Sr9C, Remington 1911-R1, S+W 442 .38+P Airweight, S+W Bodyguard .380

i eats paste

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »
Sometimes I worry about that and I don't think it's a bad policy but I'm not totally strict about it.  I'd have to screw up the reassembly process pretty badly to accidentally put a round in the chamber while I'm working.

In this case I had one gun apart, and was carrying some brand new mags that had been left loaded for a few days to calm the springs down.  I was moving them from one room to another when I suddenly thought I could toss them down next to the guns and I was emptying them anyway to relax the springs.

In general I agree with you but depending on the situation I don't get too wrapped around the axle about it.  I'm treating them like they're loaded anyway.

I've always adhered to that rule not because I worry about a disassembled gun going off, but the cleaning solvents on the primers.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »

This one has been stripped and dura-coated a much darker tan/brown
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Online Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 03:28:15 PM »

"22sight"  What is this one?

(I get a kick out of your "wind chimes" in your image folder)
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »

"22sight"  What is this one?

(I get a kick out of your "wind chimes" in your image folder)

Ramline Ram-Tec 22 from the 80s.

-

Offline misanthropist

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »

I've always adhered to that rule not because I worry about a disassembled gun going off, but the cleaning solvents on the primers.

That's definitely wise.  If I'd been handling solvents I probably wouldn't have screwed around with the ammo...although that is just plinking stuff so I have to admit I might not be totally inflexible on that.

Coming up on the end of break-in on that Baer.  One failure to return completely to battery around round 60, fixed with a little tap on the rear of the slide.  Nothing since.  Gun is still absurdly (overly IMO) tight but approaching functionally tight rather than show tight.

I may have to take a break from all the 1911 work I've been doing to fit a new barrel on a 5946 for a local LE guy.  That should be an interesting project and I'll take pics.  He's a demanding individual so it has to be absolutely perfect and I have never worked on a 5946 before so we'll see how that affects my blood pressure...he's on a VIP close protection detail for his agency but I believe this is a personally owned gun, not a work gun.  On the other hand, I know his agency has issued a mind-boggling number of 5946s over the years, so I'm not really certain if he's stepping outside the armoury to get a particular gun improved, or if he's duplicating one of his issue guns for training purposes, or what.  He's a hell of a switched on shooter though.  I'm looking forward to getting my hands on that S&W.
Support 12-5

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »

That's definitely wise.  If I'd been handling solvents I probably wouldn't have screwed around with the ammo...although that is just plinking stuff so I have to admit I might not be totally inflexible on that.

Coming up on the end of break-in on that Baer.  One failure to return completely to battery around round 60, fixed with a little tap on the rear of the slide.  Nothing since.  Gun is still absurdly (overly IMO) tight but approaching functionally tight rather than show tight.

I may have to take a break from all the 1911 work I've been doing to fit a new barrel on a 5946 for a local LE guy.  That should be an interesting project and I'll take pics.  He's a demanding individual so it has to be absolutely perfect and I have never worked on a 5946 before so we'll see how that affects my blood pressure...he's on a VIP close protection detail for his agency but I believe this is a personally owned gun, not a work gun.  On the other hand, I know his agency has issued a mind-boggling number of 5946s over the years, so I'm not really certain if he's stepping outside the armoury to get a particular gun improved, or if he's duplicating one of his issue guns for training purposes, or what.  He's a hell of a switched on shooter though.  I'm looking forward to getting my hands on that S&W.

I like S&W revolvers, but I've never been a big fan of their semi autos.  We carry SIG/Sauer P229 .40S&W DAK's at my department.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline misanthropist

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 04:07:01 PM »
There's a very large agency here that issues .40 226s with the DAK trigger.

I like the 226 with the SRT, a lot.  I can't handle the DAK although the guy who beat me last week by one (incredibly annoying) point in the BC CQB Service Rifle competition does some of his best shooting with the DAK.

He's a flip and press guy though.  I'm a reset rider.  For that reason alone, S&W autos (and particularly those with a "4" where there should be a "0") completely mess with my head and I shoot them very slowly.
Support 12-5

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »

Is that the 1911 you were filing on and cutting up on the other site?

-

Offline misanthropist

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »
No, that one is out for refinishing...this is a run-of-the-mill Les Baer Ultimate Tactical Carry.

But if I can get a barrel fitted half as tight as the UTC's on that one I sent out, I'll be pretty happy.  I'll post pics of it when it comes back, whenever that is.  It should actually be pretty similar...making me question why I have this one as well, plus the disassembled one above which is now also being built in a virtually identical configuration.

Although this one will have Heinies, not Novaks.  And a Kart barrel, not a Baer...which is a Kart with Baer stamped on it instead of Kart.  And the Heinies are Novak cut.  But this one will have a mag well.  Although I have a mag well on order for the Baer as well.

Never mind...

One day I'll do something really adventurous with a 1911...like fit a stainless barrel, or put sights on it that aren't Novak, Heinie or Warren.  Or maybe go really crazy and build something other than a government model.

But honestly...that will never happen.
Support 12-5

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 07:58:34 PM »
Ruger Mark III

My Glock 17

Wife's Glock 19

Kimber Super Carry Ultra (.45 w/ 3" barrel) 

Kimber's sights.

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »
No guns here...nope. :augie:

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
don't have pics currently and they aren't really special...  i have an SW99 in .40 and a GP100 in 357 6"

but, i shall be adding more over the next few years... at least 2-3 ARs and 1 9mm pistol for the Honey. If the lil ones get into guns too, well, that's gonna make for some more gun runs.  oh darn the luck.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline khuffy

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
Only handgun I own is a Sig 229 that I retrofitted with the short reset trigger and a set of the Sig ergo grips.  I liked it before the upgrades and now it feels and shoots like a whole new gun in a good way.

Currently more focused on long guns and shotguns at the moment but there will definitely be more room for adding a couple more handguns to the safe.

Offline Scottzilla

• Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, Tuono, 600 pound dirt bike
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »
1911 with powder ring looks like a hot broad in them garter stockings.  :-*

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »
At the moment I only have 3 handguns in the house: (sorry for not having pics)

A SIG/Sauer P229 DAK .40S&W (departments gun)
A SIG/Sauer P239 conventional .40S&W
A Taurus .357Magnum revolver (her's)
~Dan

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
1911 with powder ring looks like a hot broad in them garter stockings.  :-*

:thumbsup:  far more natural looking than one in a case ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 12:37:07 PM »
My newest member to the family.

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 12:48:15 PM »
^ Nice FJR.  I was looking at the Beretta Pico.  I think the front runner for her is still the Ruger LCP with the integrated green laser.
~Dan

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »
I sold my LCP for the Beretta. Both shoot really well, so either will be a good gun.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
That new Beretta is cute. I have the LCP. It's the perfect tank bag gun.

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »
That new Beretta is cute. I have the LCP. It's the perfect tank bag gun.

Did you have it at breakfast?  I wish I had known.  I want her to hold one and see how it fits.  She had trouble with my SIG/Sauer P239.
~Dan

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »
No. However a little kid handle it. It easily fits in the palm of my hand and I don't have big hands.

Offline Royal Tiger

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »
No. However a little kid handle it. It easily fits in the palm of my hand and I don't have big hands.

Cool.  Thanks.  Her gun purchase got pushed back with some things that came up.  I hope to still get her one for when she's working at night.
~Dan