Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Strom...impressions?  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Projects, parts, and a cheap Nighthawk.
New Strom...impressions?
« on: November 28, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »
Thepacepodcast has posted up some new pix of the new V-Strom.
So...what do you think?

http://thepacepodcast.com

Offline spinalator

• Motorcycles: XT1200Z
Re: New Strom...impressions?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 07:20:13 AM »
People all tease about the beak but I like it more than the old one.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 07:29:47 AM »
I can't see the new pics but I assume they are the same as the other pics out there.

I also like the beak. Who wouldn't love a beak?

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 08:53:11 AM »
It reminds me of a tiger who slept a beemer who had a quick affair with a ktm! i never thought I would say it but I kinda like the old style better  :o
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
Interesting. I kinda like it.
Ride safe!

Offline Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »
Meet the new Strom; Same as the old Strom ... da de da de dada

Looks a bit narrower at the tank; that's a plus.
The beak is a plus; loss of the dual headlamps is a minus.
Powerport in the dash, New bags, inverted forks are all +'s.
Won't be my next bike.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline satxbonneville

• Bailiff, whack his peepee!
  • Motorcycles: '04 Bonneville T100, '03 V-Strom 1000, '06 Ninja 500
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »
All of the cladding...it's like popping the hood on a modern car and hoping to catch a glimpse of an actual engine. Then there's that beak that makes the thing look like a refugee from a Mad Max rip-off C-movie. Fugly.

The USD forks are a plus unless they just took the badly undersprung previous gen forks and flipped 'em.

New bags are certainly less bulbous than the old bags but did they lose capacity in the process?

Ugly as it is, I still prefer the looks of my Big Yeller Strom.  :shrug:

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
One of my local dealers has one of the new Stroms.  The first time I saw it I ran into Slayman there and we both agreed it was really pretty ugly.  I stopped in again tonight because this dealer is along my commute.  I got talking with the sales guy and had a seat on it.  It was surprisingly light when lifting it off the sidestand.   I like the adjustable suspension, standard TCS/ABS, and I'm even warming up to the looks a bit.  He invited me to stop back sometime and give it a test ride. 

I was looking at the BMW's as well, and for the price, the Strom seems to have the edge over the F800/700GS models.  According to the sales guy it's also quite a bit more fun to ride.  He said he likes it more than the previous gen R1200GS - one of which is for sale, low miles, 2012, for about $1800 more than the new Strom - but that the new water-cooled GS is king in terms of having a fun engine.  The new R1200GS is quite a bit more money, like over $7000 more, and I'm not sure that premium would be worth it to me.

Then again, the Wee-Strom Adventure is something like $2500 less than the new Strom and comes with those nice metal bags, engine guards, etc.

I'm certainly having Big Strom kind of thoughts tonight.  I am still a bit smitten with the Stelvio but it's quite a bit heavier and the dealer is something like an hour away.

Offline Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 05:25:30 PM »
Montgomeryville has one in tan. Saw it Saturday when I picked up an oil filter.  Really quite attractive.  Never thought I'd say that about a Strom.  I'd seriously consider it if I were looking.   It's got some great features for the price.   I worry that it still has no soul. 
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 06:57:27 AM »
Its what I am going to buy, I want the tan.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 08:36:48 AM »
Its what I am going to buy, I want the tan.

will you have it in time for us to drool over at the national Jack?

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »
Had a 4 mile test ride on one yesterday.
Pros:
Soooo much lighter than the Concours.
Loved the motor, although the power dropped off pretty quickly in the upper RPM range. Great torque. It is quicker than I expected.
Suspension was tight but very compliant. Not sure how it would be with Mrs. Smoker and all her crap on it. Plan on testing it with her.
Has ABS + switchable TC.
Comfy riding position for me at 5'9" with a 32" inseam. Can't flat foot, but that doesn't bother me.
Dealer is 5 minutes from my house, but with Suzuki's reliability reputation that probably doesn't matter.
Cons:
It's a bit top heavy.
Seat is too firm. (I'm a wuss)
Needs premium fuel, range is not great.

The dealer is setting up a black one with bags, hand guards, heated grips, engine guards, bash plate and probably some other stuff next week for me to try out. Hopefully they'll let me take it more than 4 miles this time so I can get a really good impression.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
I had a test ride on a red one the other week over at Trans Am.  It left me with a pretty favorable impression.  The TC is like a wheelie control.  Good power and handling.  It seemed a bit more sporty than the previous generation.  I dislike the need for premium fuel and the possibility of idle hammer that is discussed over at stromtrooper.  I'm not crazy about the small bags on the adventure model myself.

I was cross shopping it against a leftover Super Tenere 2013, but the extra incentive had expired right when I went to look at it on July 1.  I do not like the Yamaha's engine as much, as I recall from a previous test ride.  The Strom engine is smoother and more likeable to me.  I like that the Yamaha has shaft drive and that they are still giving out $1200 in accessories for 2013 models, which would cover the cost of the nice Yamaha adventure sidecases.

As it seems most of my riding is commuting or errands anymore, both options seem a bit overkill though I do like to keep my 2-up and touring options open. 

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 09:00:23 AM »
  I'm not crazy about the small bags on the adventure model myself.

Yeah, the size concerns me but with a larger topcase and a tankbag I think I could make it work. I don't like the squared off top loading adv style bags like Jesse's. If anything it'll teach us to pack lighter.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association