Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pinlock  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Hovmaven

Pinlock
« on: November 27, 2013, 03:28:07 PM »
I went for a 2 hour shakedown ride yesterday afternoon.  Steady rain, 34-35 degree temps, fun times.  Good news was that the bike, the bike's electrical system and farkles had zero issues.

The new Shoei Neotech with pinlock shield, though, fogged.  I admit to a harsh test, as I had the visor closed or just whatever oem adjustment allows a slight crack, and I was wearing a balaclava with heated gerbings jacket.  I was variously sitting in traffic or moving at surface roads speeds.  Very little highway to speak of.

Needless to say, I was slightly disappointed -- any and all experiences thoughts and/or ideas about the pinlock system are welcome. . ..   :headscratch:

Offline marc11

Re: Pinlock
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »
I've never had a pinlock fog under any condition and I've ridden in server cold and rain.  Check the pins make sure there is enough tension. The only time in many years mine fogged was when I removed the pinlock to clean it and didn't set the pins tight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Hovmaven

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »
Will reset and see.   :beerchug:

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »
I don't have any issue with my Neotech and pinlock. The shield remains clear.
However, my glasses tend to fog up in town.
Ride safe!

Offline Hovmaven

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »
The interior dark shield iced over the other morning, figured it wasn't pinlock. . ..   :facepalm:

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 06:40:39 PM »
Will reset and see.   :beerchug:
The pins are eccentric, try rotating them.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Offline Hovmaven

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 12:02:30 PM »
One was slightly off, so removed shield, rotated the pin and reset the shield.  Hopefully, this was the fix!   :banana:

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 06:57:41 PM »
 The seal between the pinlock, and the shield must be airtight or it won't work. Never use anything other than water (preferably distilled) to clean the shield side of the pinlock, and make sure it's completely dry before reinstalling.

Offline SWriverstone

• The Road Cubist
  • Motorcycles: DL650 Wee-Strom
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »
I've wondered about a pinlock for years but never tried one. The best solution I've found to date is the Respro Foggy mask—which I just leave in my helmet all winter (sticks on with velcro).
Scott

Edit: like maybe the pinlock, you have to tweak the Foggy mask for a good fit—but once the fit is right, it's bombproof—no fogging even in cold pouring rain.
Riding a rashed-up bike is strangely liberating.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »
The Pinlock works great.  I just need to remember to go with the contacts instead of spectacles once the weather gets cold otherwise I still can't see anything.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 10:08:08 AM »
My issue with the Pinlock is it scratches easily no matter how careful I am when cleaning it and no matter what quality of a micro fiber cloth I use.  I find that over a short period of time, the Pinlock visor insert distorts the quality of my vision (especially when the Sun is in my eyes).

Another issue I’ve had is even when the visor is sealed, I’ve had water run down and get between the Pinlock and visor. 

As for fogging, the system has never fogged on me and I’ve had it in all kinds of weather conditions. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »
I've wondered about a pinlock for years but never tried one. The best solution I've found to date is the Respro Foggy mask—which I just leave in my helmet all winter (sticks on with velcro).
Scott

Edit: like maybe the pinlock, you have to tweak the Foggy mask for a good fit—but once the fit is right, it's bombproof—no fogging even in cold pouring rain.

^This. I haven't tried the pin-lock, but the idea of looking through one more piece of plastic doesn't thrill me. Between glasses, possible clip ons, and then the pinlock and then the faceshield and sometimes through a windscreen....meh.

The Respro works for glasses, however.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?