Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Xbox One - Yea or Nay  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
Xbox One - Yea or Nay
« on: November 27, 2013, 06:55:59 AM »
The Xbox One console is now out.  Trust me, I know this because my 11-year old has been hounding me for months about it.  I have not gotten the chance to see it or try it yet.  Any preliminary reviews from STOners?  Is the new Kinect as invasive as it seems it would be?  New games and processing power worth the upgrade? 

As an avid Halo fan (level 130 but my K/D ration can be very pitiful at times!), the introduction of Halo 5 could seal the deal for me.

Online Stickman

Re: Xbox One - Yea or Nay
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »
My kid just got a PS4 and he has been an XBOX loyalist for years.  I asked why not XBOX and he didn't really have any particular reason.  Anyway, the rendering and motion and speed of the games on the new PS4 is spectacular.  I would imagine the XBOX is at least as good or better.  He said the multiplayer modes in COD Ghost and Killzone are really lame because they are built for casual gamers, so he stays in the Battlefield and Madden games, mostly.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:10:06 AM »
I have three 360s, two are less than a year old. The XBOX One is $500 because we have to buy the kinect. I have two kinects, they suck and the inventor should burn in hell (we never use them after the novelty wore off).

Every single moron that comes into a game using the kinect as a mic instantly gets muted by every headset user in the game. Why? Because the kinect sucks, did I say that once before?

But to answer your question, no there will be NO XBOX One in my house until my 360s die. Three of my online friends bought a One on launch. They are using their 360s still because of the limited availability of games (and players) for the One.  BTW The One cannot interact with the 360s so unless your pool of online friends buys one then you either make new friends on the One of go back to playing your 360.

In my opinion the XBOX One is a big FU from Microsoft.
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »
That's crazy - so Xbox 360 friends cannot be contacted if you go to the Xbox One?  I figured that Xbox Live was all one service.   :shrug:

It sucks that it's not backward compatible with games.  :angry:

Agreed on the Kinect - I keep ours unplugged from the power source for exactly those reasons.  I don't like that the new Kinect is always listening for commands and will recognize people in the room automatically when it's on. 

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »
xBox One is having some DVD Drive issues at the moment. Not all the consoles, just some. Apparently they are not reading discs or just not working at all. The owners are getting one free game.

I tend to stay away from any console when they first come out. They often have issues that don't show up right away. (Remember the red ring of death?) I had many issues with my first xBox 360. I bought it when they first came out. The subsequent ones have been problem free for me.

My advice is wait a year until they get the bugs worked out no matter which console you buy.

I did hear the Kinetic is much better on the xBox One.

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:37:27 AM »
Yeah I remember the red ring of death too well, having lost a console over it.   :angry:

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:42:44 AM »
Yeah I remember the red ring of death too well, having lost a console over it.   :angry:

Yeah and that was only one of the problems with the earlier units.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »

I tend to stay away from any console when they first come out. They often have issues that don't show up right away. (Remember the red ring of death?)

Two of my 360s Red Ringed. I sent them to MS in the white coffin, they sent me back a new unit for $100. Seemed like an OK deal, I got years of use from them before the blewup. I have one original release 360 left, its never red ringed but its very very loud. Poor old girl needs to be put out to pasture. I also have a 2nd gen 360 which works great. Been a live customer for 10+ years.  :o

Our damn kinect is always listening for commands. The miniute the wife and I start a conversation when a movie is playing it pauses. Or if the wife is watching a movie and I am using my turtlebeach headsets I start talking to my platoon members and it messes up her movie.  :bigsmile:  Its basically a pain in the ass.

-

Offline spinalator

• Motorcycles: XT1200Z
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
I have never done the XB thing, I had a colecovision, nintendo 64 and a PS3, my wife and her sister had a Wii when they lived together. I am holding off on the PS4 for a year to see what actually happens to the old games and how the interface is for netflix, etc. I like the PS3 but I do not get a chubby for it like some other gamers do. I don't do online gaming. I do the disc through once, possibly do expansion packs, and then watch netflix

Offline marc11

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »
I had a day one Xbox reserved for my kid for Christmas but canceled it. Why? A few reasons. First, the library is not that great yet, second I'd have to buy two of his most played games all over again adding $120 to the cost add it is not backwards compatible and third I felt it would be buggy and the price will come down. So I'm giving it did months to workout the bugs, improve the library and come down in price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »
So I'm giving it did months to workout the bugs, improve the library and come down in price.

Smart move, if I buy one next year these will be my reasons for waiting, well that and the kinect sucks. The One is the reason I have not purchased any games since Black Ops 2. I am playing the World of Tanks right now and love it. Best of all, its free.  :bigok:

-