Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cat with struvite crystals, any advice?  (Read 5294 times)

Offline cultureslayer

• Motorcycles: 1989 ninja 250
Cat with struvite crystals, any advice?
« on: November 26, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
Had bladder stones chopped out of the cat and the lab determined they are struvite.  Anyone have a food they can suggest that's the best at preventing them?  The vet just suggests the brand they sell but will write a rx for any brand we want.  I refuse to buy science diet because it's an overhyped POS but anything else will be considered.

I told Kevin we will not be doing this surgery for the cat again, so you have one shot to help him save his cat.  :P
Lauren

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Re: Cat with struvite crystals, any advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »
Cats are gluten-free, correct? Have any hungry guests?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline hambonee

• Motorcycles: 2013 LC R1200GS
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »
Cats are gluten-free, correct? Have any hungry guests?

Turkitten?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Not quite a Turducken but...

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »
I tried to talk him out of the surgery and resulting BS, but he refused.  I'm special needs too, so I can't hate on him keeping the cat around too much.  ;D
Lauren

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
Put out the cat, go to bed.
i eats paste

Offline vfrrider

• Whoopee's the name, safety's the game.
  • Motorcycles: 1993 Honda VFR750F
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »
Most can foods have enough water to eliminate this. Make sure all foods are served wet. I wash down the dry food with water from the wet food can.

Best I can do.

Larry
VFRrider

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »
Most can foods have enough water to eliminate this. Make sure all foods are served wet. I wash down the dry food with water from the wet food can.

Best I can do.

Larry
VFRrider

This.  If you get it in bulk, so much the better.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
.22 and get a new cat. Sorry I'm a heartless bastard.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 10:59:42 PM »
Where is Clay???
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 06:17:17 AM »
Those hippie cats with their crystals....
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline three west

• Motorcycles: 07 K1200GT
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 06:21:19 AM »
What are struvite crystals?
Always had cats growing up, but never heard of that.

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »
It's the feline equivalent of kidney stones, except cats grow them in their bladders.  This cat was only a year and a half and had some huge stones, so that doesn't bode well for him.  He will have to be on a special low magnesium kibble for the rest of his life.  Right now the only gluten freeish options I can find are royal canin SO and science diet CD so it will have to be one of those two because he's too lazy to feed the cat a raw diet and I don't have time for it.
Lauren

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 12:15:54 PM »
It's the feline equivalent of kidney stones, except cats grow them in their bladders.  This cat was only a year and a half and had some huge stones, so that doesn't bode well for him.  He will have to be on a special low magnesium kibble for the rest of his life.  Right now the only gluten freeish options I can find are royal canin SO and science diet CD so it will have to be one of those two because he's too lazy to feed the cat a raw diet and I don't have time for it.

Post up on FB that you're fostering this cat with health problems along with a cute video.  Someone will adopt it.  :bigsmile:

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:42 PM »
Post up on FB that you're fostering this cat with health problems along with a cute video.  Someone will adopt it.  :bigsmile:
Perfect!  I like the way you think.
Lauren

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »

Certain flavors (not all) of PetSmart's Authority brand have no wheat gluten in them.  My one cat needs it along with Fortiflora Pro-biotic yadayadayada powder supplement; which you can't find on the shelf but can order through Amazon.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »
Where is Clay???

Watching with a huge smile on my face (not at the cat suffering- I'm not cool with anything suffering  :( ).   :bigok:  <oxymoron?  I'm pretty liquored up right now.   :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »
How do you know if a cat food is low in magnesium? How low is low? I ask because I just went out and looked at what I feed my goofball cat. I feed him Nature's Variety Instinct brand. It is grain and gluten-free and has a freeze-dried 'raw' coating. He gets the kibble and fresh water - no history (that we know of) of crystals. But there's nothing on the package or on their website to tell me how much magnesium is in the product. Only the 'ingredients' - the whole foods that they use. Would the 'ash' content be something to consider?

Yeah I got curious and of course it just leads to more questions.

BTW - the food is more expensive than other cat food ($18-$22 for 5.5 lbs) but not as expensive as full on 'raw'. And he loves it.

I am skeptical because pet food is marketed to pet owners not the cat of courseā€¦. but cats are more pure carnivores than dogs so I tend to go looking for grain and gluten free cat food. I used to buy Merrell's and that used to be a pretty good buy but then they re-formulated/re-packaged and I found the Instinct brand in the meantime.

Good luck on the cat food search.
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »
Magnesium should be on the guaranteed analysis section of the label.  Science diet CD is between .04 and .08% and Instinct chicken raw boost is .14%  Low magnesium can cause other problems long term, so it's only needed for cats prone to crystals.  I agree that a grain free high protein and fat kibble is best for most cats and it's unfortunate that I can't find a low magnesium urine acidifying food that has decent ingredients.

FYI, When they checked the cat's urine it had a pH of 8.0 on Earthborn seafood formula.  I thought it was a great kibble until I saw that.  Wellness is also notorious for causing crystals from what I have read so that might be one to avoid.  If you are concerned you can always have a urinalysis done to check for crystals and pH.  That's not very expensive and if you see any urinary issues it could save you a lot of money having stones removed.  They normally happen later in life so I wasn't expecting it with this guy.
Lauren

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »
Struvite crystals are very common with male cats. Try a "low ash" formula food usually marked on the bag. Getting the cat to drink enough water is key but difficult as some just wont drink any more than needed to survive. The problem is more prevalent in males as the urine is stronger and loaded with minerals and the urethra in a male is shaped in a way that makes passing any solids near impossible. The U shaped hook of the urethra traps any solids and makes a proper complete flushing out of the urinary tract difficult.

Once they develop blockages, very hard to reverse and the cat will be prone to more. Older males are often afflicted by this. Not much you can do.

This is one reason why I choose females only for pets.

Good luck, but sadly it's he beginning of a long downhill road for male cats. Surgery helps short term, but it will happen again.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 09:18:18 PM »
I told him it was a waste of money and the stones would come back, but he thinks he knows better than I do even though I worked for a vet and saw it happen all the time.   >:(   Only consolation is that he agreed the cat would only get the surgery once and he'd stick with female cats from now on.
Lauren

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 12:28:17 AM »
Interesting. I've only had male cats and had never heard of this problem (in cats) until this thread.

My current cat sticks his whole chin in the water bowl and sucks it up - you can even hear him! He'll slurp up standing water on the concrete patio and go ass up to get to water in empty flower pots.
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 12:59:42 AM »
I think it has a lot to do with the water in the area and it's mineral content as well.  The head tech at the vet's office said used to work the next county over and saw a much smaller number of stones over there.  The water in our county seems to be full of minerals and more likely to cause stones.  I'm not buying bottled water for the cats, so I think I'm going to start taking empty water bottles to work with me and filling them up at the lab with the water from the other county.
Lauren

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 01:07:11 AM »
There's 5 billion cats out there that need a home (Clay's been slackin'). I wouldn't worry too much about this one.
FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Led Rider LED Motorcycle Aux Lights - Use discount code "STO15"

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 07:00:43 PM »
Interesting. I've only had male cats and had never heard of this problem (in cats) until this thread.

You have just been lucky. Every male I've had has had UT blockages related to deposits/crystals and is usually the precursor to slow renal failure.

It may habe something to do with mineral content in water also that makes sense, but that would be a new one to me.
Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Offline Moto Morphin Power Ranger

• Ottenere una moto vera
  • Motorcycles: 2009 Moto-Guzzi Griso 8V, 1978 Yamaha XS1100
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 07:23:23 AM »
If the cat is already prone to crystals you might want to go with a Rx (we went through two rounds of crystals). I use the Royal Cannon Urinary SO and the cat has not had then since. Also get a drinking fountain for your cat. the amount of water my cat drinks compared before and after fountain is amazing.

The humiliation I suffered that day will not go unpunished. My pain is the bubbling cauldron of molten steel that will forge the saber of your demise. I shall not be denied my vengeance Haa Ha Ha HaaHa Ha Ha Ha