Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do today Non moto  (Read 699000 times)

KLRchickie and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
Re: What did you do today Non moto
« Reply #7100 on: September 09, 2020, 09:29:53 AM »
Made a test loaf of bread for this weekend's dinner.  This is the reason to run a test. Tastes fine, looks odd. Stays home with me.

Honey White: visitors can't see pics , please register or login

On the list to have done by Sat:
Honey White, Honey wheat, sour dough, cheddar white, and jalapeno cheddar white.

Should be enough for 14 (5 kids included). Right?

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #7101 on: September 09, 2020, 10:36:57 AM »
The Mrs. and I traveled this long weekend. OK, technically travel, but still close to home. Spent a couple of days in Steamboat CO, one of the only places in CO that I haven't been (or don't remember being...) in my 50 years here. Nice town, surrounded by some of the same sub-alpine desolation I fled from my home town.

Fun weekend. Drank some margaritas, had some beers, hiked around town, rode the gondola to the top of the ski area, spent time shopping with the wife, raced on the alpine slide. Met my buddy Gunslinger (short-timer on ST.N) who's been holding half of my birthday pistol and we spent an afternoon assembling it. My first AR platform gun, I see why they have a reputation as Lego guns. Functional now, needs sighted and farkled (slightly).

Actually circled the Cameron Peak Fire. Currently largest fire currently in Colorado on the way there an back. Went through Rocky Mtn National Park headed west on Friday, which was closed on Saturday due to expanding fire. Came back via Laramie WY, around the north side while heading east on Monday. Winds on Monday expanded it 300% of it's size, from 48K acres to 148K (roughly). The smoke we came through on the way home made 1:30pm as dark as late twilight. The street lights automatically came on. Once we got out from under the direct cloud and got home, we found ashes all over the home and cars. Kinda creepy. OK, REAL creepy.

Pics for fun:

Cheezeburger mask, cheezeburger lunch! With fruity beers, natch.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Beautiful views on the gondola ride...  Passed right over the Mrs. hiking party!  ;D

What's this do?

Oh, I get it!

Happiness is a cold western platform for shooting eastern bloc ammo...

LT

Great googly-moogly!

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #7102 on: September 09, 2020, 02:24:19 PM »
On Monday I hosted nerds at my house for the first time since the Before Times.  We played all three incarnations of the Star Trek Customizable Card Game, drank a lot and shot the shit.  It almost felt normal, except for having the tables spread all over the house, windows (and window wells) open and the AC fan running to keep air circulating.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #7103 on: September 10, 2020, 11:35:37 AM »
On Monday I hosted nerds at my house for the first time since the Before Times.  We played all three incarnations of the Star Trek Customizable Card Game, drank a lot and shot the shit.  It almost felt normal, except for having the tables spread all over the house, windows (and window wells) open and the AC fan running to keep air circulating.

Don't you hate that? you just can't have a normal life right now. Everybody freaking out over every sniffle. We had my daughter and some of the grand kids down on Saturday for a visit and to check out the house. We had a great visit, sat outside the kids running around having fun, just a nice day. Fast forward to Monday when all the thick yellow smoke blew in from Yakima and blanketed the area, then our own horrendous wildfires Monday night and Tuesday blanketing the area and by Wednesday my throat and sinus are done for.

Of course the first thing you think of is "Oh Shit, I got the 'Rona" … Then you think, wait a minute, Alison is a nurse and has been tested almost every day for corvid, Leah was a walking petri dish of nasal excretions from day care, and the other two were probably just better at blowing their noses so you didn't notice. Add that to recent air quality on par with China, India and a fekking  active volcano combined and the sinus issue is pretty easily explained. Still there's that momentary panic where you're running down the list of potential covid exposure symptoms and discounting them one by one.

It shouldn't be this dark umbrella hanging over everyone, driven by wild claims from the media and opportunistic politicians..     
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
« Reply #7104 on: September 11, 2020, 05:05:35 PM »
Looks like fun! Did you install your hand stop backwards intentionally?
My hovercraft is full of eels

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #7105 on: September 11, 2020, 05:45:28 PM »
Looks like fun! Did you install your hand stop backwards intentionally?

Seemed to fit better that way with index finger around the front. That said, it was a gun show find, so no instructions or nothin.  ;D
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7106 on: September 12, 2020, 08:11:50 AM »
I mount mine with the "flat" forward as a stop for barricades.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #7107 on: September 14, 2020, 10:57:28 AM »
School starts next Tuesday.

Good luck, everybody!

Busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest with the start- but it's going well.  in the middle school all teachers and students wear masks, all day.

It's very clear that parents have a much tougher time with this than kids.  It's really not a big deal now.  However this is the busiset start we've had for many reasons.  Good, bust crazy busy these days.

For a second, I thought I was reading a post-op report from CLAY.

:lol:   But still no action!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #7108 on: September 14, 2020, 01:19:52 PM »
So, short story long, my maternal grandfather was a depression era no-waste kinda guy, and a handy sort of dude as well. He was a carpenter by trade, before power tools were a thing, so whenever he would break a file or rasp, he'd re-forge it into a knife. This is one of the 3-4 that I have that he made. It was my kitchen knife before I got married, I'm betting its 65 or so years old (since I've had it for close to 40 years myself).  When I got it, the wood was in better shape, but use and storage has taken it’s toll. For quite a few years now, it has existed in my ‘Box of Treasures’ (ask your husbands, every guy has one), with intentions to fix ‘someday’. That day finally arrived after I ran across it a few weeks ago.

After taking it apart, I realized that pretty much the entire thing was made of various kinds of scrap. The file obviously, but the brass all-thread that he used for the tang extension (notched around the file tang and brazed solid) was also worn out in the center. Looks like there was something spinning on it until the threads wore down. The spacers I found between tang and pommel nut weren't round washers, I think he wrapped brass wire around a shaft, cut it and pounded flat as spacer washers. Pommel nut was brass, and had been notched to tighten inside wooden handle. That handle was hand formed, and after 65yrs, totally dry rotted. When I took it apart, it totally cracked and fell apart.

I've been planning to fix it for going on 10 years now, finally did it. I caged a guy at work for a new brass pommel nut, and aluminum  plate for pommel as well.  Dug up wood for new grip, totally screwed up one piece of teak by getting gin a hurry then got a prettily colored grip carved from cherry.  Which then cracked when I assembled. Dammit!!!

Got a  new teak blank this weekend, spent  a while shaping. This shit is hard stuff man. Had to shape for 3+ hours with a benchgrinder to square and round before any sanding and finishing. And it still wasn’t exactly svelt.  Pinned the aluminum pommel plate to the grip, brass pommel nut holds it together nicely (I disappointed my lathe operator since I had to facet the pretty piece he made me…couldn’t tighten it without a wrench). The new handle is WAY heavier than the blade deserves given it’s thinness and flexibility, but it’ll last until I give it to my grandkid someday. Maybe.

Honestly, I liked the cherry wood better, and a slimmer grip felt better. But the thin, light wood broke, so I’m leery of trying it again. Although a guy I work with hooked me up with a bottle of wood hardener, so I may give it a whirl anyway. The teak is super strong, so if I pull it apart, I know it’ll be ready to go back on if needed... I have a couple blanks of something lighter to waste a little time on if I’m so inclined.

Not truly a woodworker, although I dabble and I have a tendency to use the wrong tool for the job, but I do enjoy it somewhat. But moreso, I feel like my time messing with this knife, and the results I got were in the spirit of my Grandpa Eric. Maybe someday I’ll be able to tell this story to a snotnosed little Me when I hand it off to another generation. Although I kind of doubt he/she will listen.

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7109 on: September 15, 2020, 09:06:13 AM »
Nice bit of family history in that one object. Nice to save it from the dustbin. IIWM (and it's not) I'd grind the back spacer (below the pommel) to follow the curves of whatever scales you finally decide on.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #7110 on: September 15, 2020, 02:52:59 PM »
...Although I kind of doubt he/she will listen.
You can learn a lot from an “old guy”.
 :gerg:
Great backstory, and monumental sticktoitivness.
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned as he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!” -Angus Young

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #7111 on: September 15, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »
I'd grind the back spacer (below the pommel) to follow the curves of whatever scales you finally decide on.

That was kind of already in my plan... if i can slim it down some, it'll feel better in the hand. If i can do enough without cracking it, i may just forego the spacer entirely since its not that marvelous after all...
Great googly-moogly!

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7112 on: September 16, 2020, 11:06:28 AM »
LIKE!

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #7113 on: September 17, 2020, 02:29:39 PM »
I did my pirate impression
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #7114 on: September 17, 2020, 02:46:44 PM »
replaced the hail damaged pickup with a new dent free version..
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #7115 on: September 17, 2020, 03:09:53 PM »
Cold proofing sourdough bread to bake tomorrow morning. Among other things.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #7116 on: September 17, 2020, 03:12:49 PM »
Ow!!! holy frikken OW!!!
Great googly-moogly!

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #7117 on: September 17, 2020, 03:31:35 PM »

Did you have it coming?
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7118 on: September 18, 2020, 09:15:18 AM »

Nice. Got a link to a starter? I've been doing some box mixes and, while okay, I like a stronger flavor. The best I ever has was in the 60s from a bakery in Eagles Nest, NM.

I mopped and did routing house cleaning. Today, I clean firearms that have been to the range recently. Got my Tikka (6.5 Creedmore) out to the range with the new Swarovki DS scope. Got it zeroed and got a couple of different factory loads run past the chrono to have a baseline to enter into the scope.  Very very happy so far but a 100 yard zero with the 6.5cm feels like cheating. The large StdDv for the Hornady surprised me since their current marketing is all about accuracy (which requires consistency).

Got to the range yesterday to zero my new scope. The Tikka remains a tack driver. The LabRadar works a treat with the optional "air rifle" external mic. Picked up all suppressed shots and rejected other shooters when it picked them up but didn't "see" a round in its field of view.

Mostly there to chrono the rounds once the scope was zeroed. The Swarovski DS needs a baseline to do its magic. You have to enter the bullet data as accurately as possible for each type of round used.

It was a great day with nearly calm winds (1-2 mph) from nearly 180º behind the shooter. RH 67%. Temp 82º.

I'm scratching my head about the Std Dev of the Hornady. I had been shooting for a while before doing the chrono runs but allowed the bbl to cool between strings.

6.5cm (24" bbl, Supressed)

Hornady ELD Match 140Gr

High 2674 fps, Low 2123 fps, Avg 2591 fps, Ext Spread 500 fps, Std Dev 165.2 fps, 10 shot string.

Deleting the low shot (which only picked up the muzzle vel and nothing else (when set for 25, 50, 75, & 100 yards), The numbers change to:

High 2674 fps, Low 2618 fps, Avg 2643 fps, Ext Spread 56 fps, Std Dev 17.9 fps, 9 shot string.

Which seems more reasonable.

Sellier & Bellot FMJ BT 140Gr

High 2509 fps, Low 2480 fps, Avg 2492 fps, Extr Spread 29, Std Dev 10.7, 10 shot string

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #7119 on: September 18, 2020, 11:20:31 AM »

Nice. Got a link to a starter? I've been doing some box mixes and, while okay, I like a stronger flavor. The best I ever has was in the 60s from a bakery in Eagles Nest, NM.

I made my starter the old-fashioned way (with guidance from America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated)....

Made a 1:1 mix of organic all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour (1.5 cups each; King Arthur). Organic flour tends to have yeast spores hanging around.

Mix 4 tsp flour mix with 2.5 tsp filtered water or drinking water with no chlorine in a small glass jar or glass until no dry flour remains.

Cover and incubate in a warmish spot - ~80F - for 1-3 days until starter is bubbly, wet-looking, and fragrant.

Stir the starter and transfer 2 tsp to a clean jar or glass and add 4 tsp flour mix and 2.5 tsp water. Stir until no dry flour remains. Incubate for 24 hours. Save the original starter until next feeding.

Split and feed as above every 24 hours until starter is bubbly and fragrant less than 12 hours after previous refreshment. Keep leftover starter from previous day in the fridge until you split and feed again in case things go sideways. It will take about 5-7 days to get to the 12 hour mark.

When you start splitting and feeding every 12 hours you can save the discard in one big glass jar in the fridge and use the discard in recipes like pancakes or biscuits (for flavor, not leavening).

Your starter is ready for use in recipes as a leavening agent when it doubles or triples in volume within 12 hours of being refreshed and smells, yeasty/bready/yogurt-y.

I then make a levain that doubles in 3-5 hours and use it to make no-knead sourdough bread baked in a dutch oven.

Here's the recipe for the bread: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/9076-almost-no-knead-sourdough-bread

The recipes for the starter and other articles on sourdough starter require a subscription to Cook's Illustrated. Alternatively, visit the King Arthur Baking website for starter and recipes. They also sell their own starter too. https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/

Good luck!
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #7120 on: September 18, 2020, 11:50:54 AM »
One last thought: If you liked that bread from that bakery, contact them and see if they will sell you some starter. Yeasts are regional and unique, but they are only part of the equation. Rye flour can increase the flavor as well.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #7121 on: September 18, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »
A story, once started, should be finished.  I went cold turkey on my blood pressure meds last week, and just came home from having it checked.  I'm on the high range of normal, and can continue not taking any meds.

I have to keep up the effort, both to improve and to keep off the meds.  Also, 15 lbs. weight lost, better stamina, better sleeping, overall better health and longevity.

Now I'm fit enough for another Iron Butt ride.   :D  But it was the Pedal Ninja that brought me here.

Here's a pic of the Pedal Ninja on her Field of Victory. She's a Bridgestone XO-3, yes, that Bridgestone, which I bought almost 30 years ago at Grand Performance in St. Paul, MN.  The only mods have been an anatomically correct seat, new tires and tubes, new rear brake pads, and a carry pouch.  She gets the job done!  We ride the Interurban/Oak Leaf trails in Milwaukee and its northern suburbs.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 01:55:45 PM by Baxter »
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7122 on: September 19, 2020, 09:56:24 AM »
One last thought: If you liked that bread from that bakery, contact them and see if they will sell you some starter. Yeasts are regional and unique, but they are only part of the equation. Rye flour can increase the flavor as well.

Thanks for the tips. Saved. Since I was in grade school when I went there, they may not be open any more.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7123 on: September 19, 2020, 09:56:56 AM »

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #7124 on: September 19, 2020, 08:38:27 PM »
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #7125 on: September 19, 2020, 10:01:43 PM »
Today I learned that Buc-Wheats cereal hasn't been made since 1982.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #7126 on: September 20, 2020, 08:51:38 AM »
Today I learned that Buc-Wheats cereal hasn't been made since 1982.

No wonder I haven’t seen any on the the store shelves.  Thought there was a shortage. 
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #7127 on: September 22, 2020, 05:03:46 PM »
I don’t have a scale so I’m having to guess but there must be an expert on rust in this bunch. So here’s the question: how much does a full Home Depot orange bucket full of rust weigh? It’s from a Canadian built GMC Sierra so clearly it has to be weighed in kilograms.😎
I’m guessing 35kg.
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #7128 on: September 22, 2020, 06:02:46 PM »
I don’t have a scale so I’m having to guess but there must be an expert on rust in this bunch. So here’s the question: how much does a full Home Depot orange bucket full of rust weigh? It’s from a Canadian built GMC Sierra so clearly it has to be weighed in kilograms.😎
I’m guessing 35kg.

Sounds like there should be a story to go with this question.   :headscratch:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #7129 on: September 22, 2020, 06:03:55 PM »
I deposited a check at the corner bank.  Took Ninjette.  Also took the long way home--about 80 miles.   ;)

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #7130 on: September 22, 2020, 06:50:52 PM »
Firewood over the weekend. 2 trailer loads on Saturday morning, total of almost 2 cords. If we get another before the snow flies, likely won't have to go again in Feb. Not bad for $80, a couple pizzas and a decent 12pack.
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online stevent

« Reply #7131 on: September 22, 2020, 10:42:22 PM »
Renewed my Steam Engineer License for another year. They used to just send you an invoice, you sent the City of Seattle a check and a week or so later you're new license showed up in the mail. Now you have to chase around the City web site and try to find the right page, then drill down through half a dozen options, then enter a credit card and then nothing. I assume it'll show up in the mail at some point. At least I have a receipt.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7132 on: Yesterday at 10:55:07 AM »
It's because people who work are a bad example in Seattle now so they have to slow that sheyte down.

Online stevent

« Reply #7133 on: Yesterday at 12:49:17 PM »
It's because people who work are a bad example in Seattle now so they have to slow that sheyte down.

I'm way behind on my fire-bombing police cars and looting small business quota for the month, maybe that's it.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #7134 on: Today at 12:59:07 PM »
Just had Sonny's redneck egg rolls. I am complete.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"