Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do today Non moto  (Read 694889 times)

Eh2zed, Knobnose, Sock Muppet and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
Re: What did you do today Non moto
« Reply #6350 on: January 26, 2020, 09:26:32 PM »
Slightly moto related, but 4wheels, not 2.

Wife's Xterra rear suspension was getting tired after 140k and 9 years. Sitting a good 1.5" low in the back from stock height. Every decent bump was into the rock hard bump stops with a noticable jolt.

So... time for a weekend wrenching. New spring packs, new bumpstops and new shocks because... hell, I was already going to be there.

Only real issues were the front spring mount bolts. Totally seized in the bushings, with very limited tool clearance (and 150 ft lbs of tight). After struggling with it for way longer than I should have, a quick call to a pro mech buddy came back with "new cutting wheel and cut that bolt between the spring and hanger. Get new bolts". Duh. 5 minutes with grinder and boom, all apart. Reassemble is reverse.

Done and tested for noises. Only one loose sway bar connection making noise. All better now. Big bumps no longer touch the stops, and the Mrs. stated the it 'felt stiffer'. Phrasing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #6351 on: January 26, 2020, 10:01:35 PM »
@ Leanintree,  Them stuck shackle bolts come out best with the "smoke wrench"

A well placed Act/Oxy cutting torch will slice off the heads of any bolt in seconds. Using a punch to push the remaining bolt through the hole.   

A plasma cutter is always your friend, quicker and less heat.

If you don't have the bottled fire kit or burning arch machine, a vibrating cutter with a metal cutting blade works as good but take a lot of time.

Minor note: do not tighten the shackle bolts until the weight of the vehicle is on them, no sense in twisting the bushings needlessly. Tightening them before putting the vehicle on them will also make it ride a bit stiffer. That is the bushings being twisted beyond their limit.

Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #6352 on: January 26, 2020, 11:00:30 PM »
Busy couple of weeks, and crazy busy today.

Sprayed every inch of one of my wife's car's front tires with soapy water trying to find a leak. Couldn't find one. Put a couple pounds of air in it to bring it up to matching the other three tires, then cursed the German engineers who set the tolerances so low on the TPS units for alerting when there's only 2lbs difference in one tire... which was probably just due to such crazy and rapid temperature changes the past couple of weeks.  :facepalm:

Spent much of the rest of the day working on a side project; my wife's company (as in, the one she owns) has hired me (as in, I'm not getting paid yet, but here's hoping the future goes well) to write her a mobile app and web service. Doing the app in Google's new(er) mobile language/platform, Flutter (aka Dart). This will be my third production app in Flutter, and I'm really kind of enjoying the language. Pretty cool stuff.

Also spent a little time working on the water control system for the WV property. Quick description: 2 water-collection roofs gather water into a total of 600-gallons of barrels, which are pump-fed through a filtration system into a 300-gallon main tank, which is pump fed through another filtration system into the living quarters. Building an automation system for it. Writing the code in Google Go on a Raspberry Pi, though I may switch it over to Node or Python for full production use because I think Go is a bucket of half-rendered ass. This system monitors the rain water level in the staging tanks, and the active tank's level, and pumps from the staging tanks into the active tank when necessary. It also monitors the pump/pressure between the main tank and the residence, and shuts it off if it runs for more than 30 minutes, and/or if the main tank's level drops too rapidly, likely indicating a leak. Manual controls and overrides via a small LCD panel on the Pi, mounted on the wall (once completed). This is pretty much the lowest-priority project I've got laying around, but since I was tied to my desk all day, I put in a couple hours on it. Mostly testing and safety-netting the code for no-crash error capturing and reporting.

Spent some time looking over the bank accounts (now dwindled to basically zero thanks to COBRA and the ACA), and desperately counting down the days until the rest of my support ends, while working very hard to get back onto a corporate pay model with proper health care. I need to lessen this monthly nut. There's just too much outstanding debt that's hanging over my head and really worrying me. Including the IRS.

My youngest daughter scored a full boat academic ride to college, which is awesome. She's crazy wicked smart, and I'm so proud of her. Some of you local folks know my daughter Sarah from the Knoebel's rides and such. Holy crap, she's 18 and graduating high school already. #timeflies Looks like she'll be following her sister Becca into nursing. There's a significant shortage of nurses and PAs across the board, so it's a good time to go into that. It's noble work. #respect

Had a heart to heart chat with my brother today; he's super bummed he has to quit riding, and he's probably going to be putting his camper up for sale, too. He's got a 2-year or 3-year old 30-some foot Vengeance that's nicer than my house. The back bedroom is also the garage, and back wall of that room pulls double duty as the ride up ramp, and the deck. Thing is saaweeeeet. Not sure what all this means for the WV property, yet. On the upside, his bike is going to one of our own here in the ST.N/ST.O family, so that's super cool. He keeps his stuff pristine, so that'll end up being a good long term bike for the new owner if he so chooses to keep it a while.

Had a job interview last week that I completely nailed, but I need more money than they can offer. Significantly so, and more of a cut than I'm willing to take from my current posting. (sigh) "This guy is amazing - perfect for the job, we just can't make his numbers, by about 40%." -- feedback forwarded to me from the company by the recruiter. If I could guarantee that I'd be ok working two (essentially full time) jobs and it wouldn't land me back in court for support, I'd try to find a way to keep working at the startup for less money, and take that job, but the hours would just kill me. Been there, done that. "I'm getting too old for this shit." -- Sgt. Murtaugh. And I just know I'd probably end up making a pinch more money and end up paying all the extra out in support, thus nullifying any gains. Maybe, I dunno. I haven't done any adjustments on support in years; it's just not worth the drama. I'm already paying support based on what I was making like 8 years ago, which is more a year than I'm making now. It sucks, and I could legitimately get it lowered, but holy crap, the drama that would bring. It wouldn't be enough of a change to make it worth it at all. :\

Spent a little time talking with another brother, even though we're kind of estranged from each other; he just had both knees replaced, so we had a short chat in that context. He's doing well after surgery, but as he lives alone and had both done at the same time, he opted to recoup a while in a phys-rehab center. He's got the money, so might as well enjoy some being taken care of, right?

Ah, the interesting things life brings.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:16:11 PM by chornbe »
this signature on hold pending review

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #6353 on: January 27, 2020, 08:03:30 AM »
@ Leanintree,  Them stuck shackle bolts come out best with the "smoke wrench"

A well placed Act/Oxy cutting torch will slice off the heads of any bolt in seconds. Using a punch to push the remaining bolt through the hole.   

A plasma cutter is always your friend, quicker and less heat.

If you don't have the bottled fire kit or burning arch machine, a vibrating cutter with a metal cutting blade works as good but take a lot of time.

Minor note: do not tighten the shackle bolts until the weight of the vehicle is on them, no sense in twisting the bushings needlessly. Tightening them before putting the vehicle on them will also make it ride a bit stiffer. That is the bushings being twisted beyond their limit.

Yup, grinder made the problem poof go away (although, it was a little annoying to have to hit 2 different dealers for a 1 bolt each...)

Now that you tell me why, I may have to loosen and re-tighten the shackles. I preloaded them with the jack under differential, but it wasn't up off the jack stands, so likely didn't have full weight. Although, I did grease them per service manual. Makes much more sense when you say WHY not to crank them down in the air. Plus side though, those are accessible with tire in place, and only 78 ft-lbs. Just little buggers, and I can use either torque wrench on 'em.  :bigok: Thanks Andrew!

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #6354 on: January 28, 2020, 11:02:09 AM »
Moving the furniture in the master br so I can clean the carpet. My slothful wife has let drops and spills just remain (historical reconstruction of what she has eaten and drunk since that recliner was placed in that corner?).

Ugh. Moved more stuff. Found more stuff. Vacuumed 3 times, broomed the base boards and also used the broom to "roll up" tumbleweeds of dust and cat hair, vacuumed again, got down with a lint roller for the rest.

It's not even noon yet.

Now to use the carpet shampooer...

Yesterday was more fun because it was warm enough to head to the outdoor range and zero my 6.5 Creedmoor. 20 rounds to get on paper at 50 yards (yeah, my scope was way off at first). 10 rounds to zero at 100. 10 for fun. The 6.5 CM is tons easier at distance than the .308.

Yesterday:

More MBR done and (once dried), loaded the room back.

Another BR unloaded, and all the above done (multiple vacuumings, broom baseboards, fingertip digging in carpet/baseboard crevices, wash, dry, vacuum again, load back in/

This morning:

Unloaded another BR as soon as I got up (before feeding the cat). Vacuumed, broomed, fingertiped, washed, now waiting to dry.

Have 1 more to unload and do.
Now for some coffee.

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #6355 on: January 28, 2020, 01:27:11 PM »
Moving the furniture in the master br so I can clean the carpet. My slothful wife has let drops and spills just remain (historical reconstruction of what she has eaten and drunk since that recliner was placed in that corner?).

Ugh. Moved more stuff. Found more stuff. Vacuumed 3 times, broomed the base boards and also used the broom to "roll up" tumbleweeds of dust and cat hair, vacuumed again, got down with a lint roller for the rest.

It's not even noon yet.

Yesterday was more fun because it was warm enough to head to the outdoor range and zero my 6.5 Creedmoor. 20 rounds to get on paper at 50 yards (yeah, my scope was way off at first). 10 rounds to zero at 100. 10 for fun. The 6.5 CM is tons easier at distance than the .308.

Yesterday:

Another BR unloaded, and all the above done (multiple vacuumings, broom baseboards, fingertip digging in carpet/baseboard crevices, wash, dry, vacuum again, load back in/

This morning:

Unloaded another BR as soon as I got up (before feeding the cat). Vacuumed, broomed, fingertiped, washed, now waiting to dry.

Now for some coffee.

Might I recommend some Bailey's in the coffee? 
--Tom

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #6356 on: January 30, 2020, 09:41:06 AM »

It's not even noon yet.

Yesterday:

This morning:

Now for some coffee.

Might I recommend some Bailey's in the coffee?

LOL

Yesterday was the last room with carpet. Then the slow-down as I realized that now is the time to critically review all the crap unloaded from each room with an eye toward getting rid of it or putting it somewhere other than a box in the closet. So I have all the rooms loaded back and some crap on the extra bed that needs to find a home of one kind or another. Also rearranged stuff in most rooms when doing the load ins.

That was done by 10am yesterday (2x vacuuming, broom baseboards, hand-dig crevices, shampoo/steam, dry, vacuum again, load room back in).

Also fixed #2 and #3 UPSs with replacement batteries. Did #1 last week.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #6357 on: January 30, 2020, 09:44:48 AM »
Dentist appointment to have a tooth capped. Can't talk right now.  :P
Ride safe!

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #6358 on: January 30, 2020, 12:28:49 PM »
For the last 10 years Bell Canada, our largest phone provider has sponsored “ Bell-Lets talk” day. Yesterday was the annual event and a record breaking $7.5 million was raised bringing the total to well over $100 million dollars.
Yesterday was also the day I attended a family funeral. The irony was not lost on anyone. He had struggled for most of his life. He was 32. It was one of the hardest days of my life.
Please talk. Please listen. Help in any way you can. Remember Robin Williams. Remember.
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #6359 on: January 30, 2020, 01:21:07 PM »
Reported to the Cook County Criminal Courthouse for jury duty. I sat around for three hours and was released. That’s cool.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #6360 on: January 30, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
Started the basement purge.  If it hasn't moved in the past six months, it's tossed.  My garbage men are gonna hate me tomorrow and next week.   :o
--Tom

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #6361 on: January 31, 2020, 12:05:43 PM »
Reported to the Cook County Criminal Courthouse for jury duty. I sat around for three hours and was released. That’s cool.

I always bring a book.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #6362 on: January 31, 2020, 09:05:58 PM »

I always bring a book.

I brought that, a stack of papers to grade and my laptop.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #6363 on: February 03, 2020, 09:16:30 AM »

I always bring a book.

Who do you think your kidding.  We all know you were running around the room repeating loudly..."He's F%##ing Guilty"    ;D

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #6364 on: February 03, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
Bought a mini fridge/freezer for the garage.

Now to fill the freezer with chipwiches.

Not bad for 25 bucks.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #6365 on: February 03, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
Who do you think your kidding.  We all know you were running around the room repeating loudly..."He's F%##ing Guilty"    ;D

"Get that guilty sumabitch in here so we can hurry him on through his fair and speedy trial and get on to the business of a hangin'!"

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #6366 on: February 03, 2020, 02:23:03 PM »

I always bring a book.

:rolf:

My Other Hobby

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #6367 on: February 03, 2020, 10:13:55 PM »

"Get that guilty sumabitch in here so we can hurry him on through his fair and speedy trial and get on to the business of a hangin'!"

Be careful,, you might get on the jury with talk like that 
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #6368 on: February 04, 2020, 07:34:31 AM »
I'll get off that jury. I'll get cleeeeeeeaaaaannnn off.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #6369 on: February 04, 2020, 05:50:13 PM »

I always wanted to tell the judge, “Yes your Honor, I believe I can be fair and impartial juror, after all, we all know the cops would never have arrested him if he hadn’t done something wrong in the first place.”
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #6370 on: February 04, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #6371 on: February 05, 2020, 03:09:35 PM »

shaWEET!

In keeping with last week, I mopped the hard floor in the living room and the other rooms are on m short list. Got some of the "load out" things into a good, permanent home, and spent most of the past 3 days either going around getting documents or entering their data into summary spreadsheets, then filing them (tax prep).

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #6372 on: February 14, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »
Today I hung the first picture in the master bedroom at the new house.  Yep, we moved last summer, so this seems a bit lazy.  But there are some extenuating circumstances.

The room needed painting. We decided to switch from a queen sized bed to a king; the mattress arrived promptly but the bed was delayed until November, meaning that the furniture wasn't in it's final position until then.  The holidays arrived.  We had decorating fatigue from getting the rest of the house in order.  And we used pics that one or both of us liked in the public rooms in the house, so we're now down to pics we're less enthused about.

Once this room is done, the finished basement gets it's pics hung.  Then when windows can be opened we'll (I'll) finish painting. Or not.  After all, the place doesn't really need to be pretty everywhere until we sell.  And with luck that won't be until we have to move into an old folks home in 35 or 40 years.   :D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #6373 on: February 15, 2020, 03:51:25 AM »
new speakers.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #6374 on: February 15, 2020, 03:54:48 AM »
Quit my job in my mind at least 20 times (yesterday)

― Frank Zappa

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #6375 on: February 15, 2020, 05:23:16 PM »
Sort of Moto related. Spent the day cleaning up the trails, making new ones, and creating obstacles for a possible dual sport skills day in the very near future.  Quality time with the blower and chainsaw.  More work to do tomorrow.  If it comes together, it will be a blast.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #6376 on: February 15, 2020, 05:34:12 PM »
Worked in the garage on the van stuff for about 30 minutes until the cold hit bone.  Back into the house for hot tea and let the back muscles unclench.  Didn't get much done, but it was needed stuff to proceed.
--Tom

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6377 on: February 16, 2020, 05:11:40 PM »
We finished hanging up the bedroom pictures this afternoon.  The solution to the indecision dilemma was to bring in some pics we had been thinking of hanging in the basement.  It turns out that this wasn't a case where less is more.  We were able to balance the room with a few more pics to stack two high due to the cathedral ceiling.

Part of the challenge in the new home is that we have cathedral ceilings in several rooms.  We need to factor in the height, which is a new-to-us situation.  All the homes in the association are variations on the same design, and some of the neighbors hung their pics like there's a pretend line at 8 feet high that they dare not cross.  It kinda looks a bit off when the ceiling above the fireplace is 14 feet high and the top of a picture above the mantle is only at 7 1/2 feet.

It usually works out well for us when we take our time.  My wife has a good eye for color and design. I have good spatial sense and enough OCD to get the measurements just right.  The skills are complementary.

Next job is the finished basement!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #6378 on: February 17, 2020, 07:21:43 PM »
Drove to Virginia with my wife and had supper with some guy from Virginia and his wife.

― Frank Zappa

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #6379 on: February 17, 2020, 07:41:14 PM »
Was the pizza the appetizer or dessert?
old enough to know better

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #6380 on: February 18, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »
Cut down a big ole tree.  Cut up a big ole tree.  Split the rounds w/ an axe.  Burned the brush.  Cut up a bunch of downed pine trees in the woods.  Hauled them back to the fire w/ the quad and trailer.  Burned 'em.  I have pics but they're just too big.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #6381 on: February 18, 2020, 01:40:29 PM »
I really gotta stay off eBay when I get bored.  We needed laser printer cartridges for wifey's work laser printer.  They're ordered, then the fun began. 

The home computer server has two 1.8Ghz Opteron processors in it and they're just ok.  Cruising eBay's marketplace, I found two matched replacement 3.2Ghz processors that will swap right in for $15 shipped.  I love non-state of the art tech.  They'll be here Monday. 

With some tech reading, I've also figured out that Windows 10 is going away.  Windows 7 Pro will support my stuff and I don't care it's EOL.  IMO, it just works so much better than 10.
--Tom

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #6382 on: February 18, 2020, 03:32:37 PM »
Prostate biopsy.

I would not do well in prison.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6383 on: February 18, 2020, 04:51:16 PM »
Prostate biopsy.

You have my sympathy.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #6384 on: February 18, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »
Prostate biopsy.

You have my sympathy.

Ditto
Ride safe!

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #6385 on: February 18, 2020, 06:58:04 PM »
Prostate biopsy.

Pitching or catching, you're still in the game.

― Frank Zappa

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #6386 on: February 18, 2020, 07:17:40 PM »
Prostate biopsy.

Think less like a proctologist and more like a dentist. You'd be fine.

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #6387 on: February 18, 2020, 09:05:43 PM »
Prostate biopsy.

Ugh. So sorry. But, uh, don't leave us hanging on results now.
A man with no sig

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #6388 on: February 19, 2020, 08:57:04 PM »
Prostate biopsy.

You have my sympathy.

Ditto
Also my sympathy & hope the worst is over

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #6389 on: February 20, 2020, 03:36:41 PM »
I'm not too worried, I'll find results next week Tuesday.

I'm cool with it, whatever "it" is.  Just had a couple high PSA tests.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6390 on: February 20, 2020, 03:41:32 PM »
I'm not too worried, I'll find results next week Tuesday.

I'm cool with it, whatever "it" is.  Just had a couple high PSA tests.

Odds are in your favor that it won't be a big deal, please proceed cautiously if your doc is eager to recommend surgery. 

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #6391 on: February 20, 2020, 09:55:03 PM »
Did my last bit of stuff to become a Lyft driver.

Daddy needs some extra cash. When I'll find the time is a whole other matter. :(

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #6392 on: February 20, 2020, 09:57:47 PM »
I really gotta stay off eBay when I get bored.  We needed laser printer cartridges for wifey's work laser printer.  They're ordered, then the fun began. 

The home computer server has two 1.8Ghz Opteron processors in it and they're just ok.  Cruising eBay's marketplace, I found two matched replacement 3.2Ghz processors that will swap right in for $15 shipped.  I love non-state of the art tech.  They'll be here Monday. 

With some tech reading, I've also figured out that Windows 10 is going away.  Windows 7 Pro will support my stuff and I don't care it's EOL.  IMO, it just works so much better than 10.

Might I suggest, if you don't need first-line Win32 legacy mode, hold out for Windows 10X. It swaps priority on Win64 and Win32, and strips out the Win32 thunking layer for a whole new containerized mode of running Win32 apps. The resource requirements are WAY down, the speed is WAY up, and the 100% reliance on full time bull shit virus protection is removed thanks to the better process sandboxing. It's the first version of Windows I've cared about since NT4 ver3.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10x

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #6393 on: February 21, 2020, 10:32:51 AM »
Tis done already.  Win7 Ultimate (personal copy) up and running, still dealing with updates on an as remember to walk into my office and check progress basis.  No great rush.  I'll keep an eye on 10x down the road.  Is it in beta yet?  If so, I have access and might throw it on a spare drive to check it out.

ETA: well, crap!  It's already in preview version.  Guess I'll download a copy.
--Tom

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #6394 on: February 21, 2020, 12:58:36 PM »
Tis done already.  Win7 Ultimate (personal copy) up and running, still dealing with updates on an as remember to walk into my office and check progress basis.  No great rush.  I'll keep an eye on 10x down the road.  Is it in beta yet?  If so, I have access and might throw it on a spare drive to check it out.

ETA: well, crap!  It's already in preview version.  Guess I'll download a copy.

hehehe Sorry. :D

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #6395 on: February 21, 2020, 01:04:15 PM »
nearly half way through cleaning old records. forgot I have so many first presses.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #6396 on: February 21, 2020, 01:06:35 PM »
:thumb:  Clean install ongoing.
--Tom

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #6397 on: February 22, 2020, 08:57:35 AM »
Still dealing with all the stuff unlimbered from the bedrooms when I cleaned the carpets. Stuff scattered on the couch and on one of the beds. Thankfully the "piles" are getting smaller as I toss, give away, or sell.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #6398 on: February 22, 2020, 09:19:06 AM »
Sat in the passenger seat while K drove north from coastal SC.

Scary stuff.

― Frank Zappa

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #6399 on: February 22, 2020, 09:57:07 AM »
Job shopping.

Damn, this is depressing. I think my time of maximum earnings is over, the bubble bursting, the glut of 20-somethings working for $9/day.... whatever... whoofah.