Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do today Non moto  (Read 404679 times)

CLAY, rgbeard and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR
Re: What did you do today Non moto
« Reply #5160 on: October 13, 2018, 08:46:21 PM »
Did my good deed for the day and cleaned a couple furnaces. Our company for the last ten years has done what we call project heats on. Every fall we volunteer our time and go out clean and check furnaces for people who are less fortunate. If we find any problems and parts are needed or we find the furnace needs replacing, they are done at no cost to the homeowner. Most people are very appreciative of this.

When I got home it was sport tractoring time to get my heat on. I moved 3 face cords of wood from the side of the barn down to my winter racks on the patio of my walkout. Wood stove is in the basement so this is very convenient for bringing in wood. I set up a portable shed that I can walk right into that keeps it dry and the snow off. This is my second year of this method and it worked fantastic last winter.

Offline oilhed

• Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #5161 on: October 13, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
Picked up 12 gal. of fresh pressed cider from the orchard. It will be my first two batches of hard cider started this fall. Half will be aged in an oak bourbon barrel for some time. 
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #5162 on: October 14, 2018, 05:46:06 AM »
Heard it rain yet again all day long. Water is literally flowing out of well-grassed lawns and over the curbs; backing up in the gutters as the storm drains do their job. Glad we only got the peripheral affects of the east coast storm.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300
« Reply #5163 on: October 14, 2018, 07:01:06 AM »
Ordered a new upper handle for my snow blower.  The old one finally gave out late last season and cracked at one of the mounting bolt holes.  I was going to weld it up, but for $40 shipped, a new one will work just fine.  It's getting near that time.   :o   When it shows up, I'll do all the annual maintenance on it and point it at the garage door.
--Tom

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #5164 on: October 14, 2018, 09:47:58 AM »
Did my good deed for the day and cleaned a couple furnaces. Our company for the last ten years has done what we call project heats on. Every fall we volunteer our time and go out clean and check furnaces for people who are less fortunate. If we find any problems and parts are needed or we find the furnace needs replacing, they are done at no cost to the homeowner. Most people are very appreciative of this.

When I got home it was sport tractoring time to get my heat on. I moved 3 face cords of wood from the side of the barn down to my winter racks on the patio of my walkout. Wood stove is in the basement so this is very convenient for bringing in wood. I set up a portable shed that I can walk right into that keeps it dry and the snow off. This is my second year of this method and it worked fantastic last winter.
Well Mr Awesome its , awesome your company does that. The world needs more of that type of thing.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #5165 on: October 15, 2018, 03:10:16 PM »

Agreed, that's a very, very cool thing to do to help your fellow man! Helping with skills means more than just helping with cash.

We were doing the same. First round of #coloradocardio this weekend. Still another load to go before filling up the available space. Next up, a weekly round of splitting. Plus side, I picked up a new 8lb splitting maul. Makes light work of those little buggers. If I can get the Mrs. to stack, I could conceivably bash out a cord of split in an afternoon. I will say though that this first round has my shoulders and forearms complaining. That must mean it's good for me?

LT

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Great googly-moogly!

Online CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #5166 on: October 15, 2018, 04:15:04 PM »

That's not only way cool (the work thing), but a brilliant solution for your seasonal wood storage. 
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #5167 on: October 16, 2018, 09:25:30 PM »
I processed the current chili peppers from the garden.  Sunday I made the Harry and David pepper jam clone recipe I found online.  Tonight it was a spicy pear chutney and hot pepper jelly.  The latter required a pound of hot peppers, which the garden supplied just fine.   :o
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #5168 on: October 17, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »
Late last winter, I broke the upper handle on the vintage 2 stage snowblower. Zip tied a chunk of steel and made do until spring.

I ordered the new handle Monday and it arrived today. 10 minutes to swap, so I plugged the electric start engine in and tried to start it. A shot of starting fluid and it fires right up, but dies just as quick. Pulled the carb and blew everything out, but something broke inside. I've got gas coming out everywhere! lol Ebay says $12 for a new one. We haz a winnah! It'll be here Tuesday.   :bigok:

The rebuild kit costs more than that!
--Tom

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
« Reply #5169 on: October 17, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »
The rebuild kit costs more than that!
It's the same with auto brake calipers - so much so that most auto parts stores don't even sell the rebuild kits.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2016 Yamaha Super Tenny
« Reply #5170 on: October 18, 2018, 06:14:57 PM »
Cleaned up a bunch of spilled diesel. We had been burning diesel for a few days because of that natural gas pipeline explosion, one of the pressure regulators had a bad O ring so it leaked all over. What a pain, stinks too..
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #5171 on: October 19, 2018, 08:24:32 AM »
Chauffeured mom to the dentist. More work scheduled after this. We are learning that her dental hygiene is another aspect of self-care she glossed over when living alone before we moved her to assisted living. I suspect it's cost upwards to $8k to get everything done.

Learned that my post-op recommended 2.5x reading glasses no longer work for the computer screen. I have to get inches off the screen to get it in focus. Removing them lets the screen be readable at about 2' or more. That's a good thing.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #5172 on: October 19, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »
Today I had to take someone to task over reporting a bug that doesn't seem to exist, isn't repeatable, was tested by many on the team, and the guy admittedly only "think so, pretty sure" he saw (or didn't see), and can't repeat it, yet reported it as a high-priority bug and wasted a bunch o' my time. Also, closed the loop on an issue of user friction, and reduced user effort on getting on the new system, and I simply can't understand some folks' desire to increase the amount of work a user must do to sign up, and "see how the market reacts."

Getting a little tired of pushing these boulders up this damned hill. :\

And it's only 9:55am. It is SOOOOO Friday.
this signature on hold pending review

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #5173 on: October 19, 2018, 02:01:11 PM »
Cleaned up an acre of leaves, moved 5 yards of fill dirt of the 10 delivered, moved the summer lawn equipment into the walkout basement for storage and drained/stored the garden hoses and sprinkler heads too.  Cleaned up/out the garage and put all my tools back where they belong.  And it's not even 3PM yet!  My back is killing me.

Next week, I'll order the first facecord of firewood and rack it.  My oldest is coming over to help move the other 5 yards of fill into the two craters in my yard.

I've fallen in lust with the Red Max backpack blower my landscape guy let me borrow.  I've got a Husqvarna 250 backpack and the Red Max is twice as powerful. 
--Tom

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR
« Reply #5174 on: October 19, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »
I'm tired just reading that Tom!