Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do today Non moto  (Read 721145 times)

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
Re: What did you do today Non moto
« Reply #7150 on: October 08, 2020, 03:18:51 PM »
The program is of course "run to fail" which is fine (though repugnant) for easily replaceable and off the shelf items. Pretty f'n' stupid with high dollar long-lead items.

I have a few years worth of CYA reports and emails voicing my concern about plant specific equipment being WELL past it's expected service life and the cost ramifications of that machinery failing vs normal industry standard repair and replacement cycles, but all I get is "thanks Steve, we'll note that in the next planning session."

:shrug: :willy:

Another example of modern management CYA strategic planning.  I believe it is fairly common practice among publicly held companies with slower growth profiles.  I believe it happens because senior management is primarily focused on keeping their jobs, and all that could change if an earnings miss occurs in the next 2 - 3 quarters.  So their primary focus is meeting this quarter's numbers.  As a result, senior management is not focused on the long-term health of the organization over the next several years, and capital reinvestment suffers as a result.  Partly because there is not much they can do to keep a high-value long-term asset from failing.  They'll keep their fingers crossed and tell the board they asked for aan infusion of new capital (which is harder to find in a slow-growth business) when they warned of the potential failure in their planning notes.  Meanwhile, tactical leadership at the middle-management level is freaking out.  Saw it happen plenty enough during my own career.  And if you play it properly, it won't be your fault when the shan hits the fit.

The kicker is they replaced one of 4 boilers for $3.5 mil, and had prints done to the point of issuing a contract, AND had capitol budget allocated for the next boiler to be replaced. All that appears to have disappeared into thin air. Now one of the boilers that has suffered a number of tube failures is the one that was allocated to be replaced. The up shoot is they'll be sinking money into an asset slated for demo
You think that's bad....I worked  Nuke Plants, and they're doing the same thing. I can't get far enough away.  And when they F*%K up, it lasts longer than any of us will live and affects thousands of people.

Well now that gives me warm and fuzzies to go to bed with....

:o

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #7151 on: October 08, 2020, 06:05:14 PM »
Sounds like quite the project!

Like most of my projects, it didn't start that way. :D

2x4 frame with 2 2x4 slats across the back. The mat is horse stall mat (recycled car tires). It's as heavy (maybe heavier) as the frame. That's before the plywood or wheels (or fasteners for them).

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #7152 on: October 09, 2020, 06:10:28 AM »

2x4 frame with 2 2x4 slats across the back. The mat is horse stall mat (recycled car tires). It's as heavy (maybe heavier) as the frame. That's before the plywood or wheels (or fasteners for them).

Sounds like Scope of Work creep.  Did you use to work for the gubermint or sumptin?   :shrug:

:couch:

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #7153 on: October 09, 2020, 09:12:05 AM »

Sounds like Scope of Work creep.  Did you use to work for the gubermint or sumptin?   :shrug:

" cost plus 20%"
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7154 on: October 09, 2020, 11:31:50 AM »

Scope Creep isn't just at the range. :D

I always get into a "while I'm in here" mode when working on things. It's already apart and going back would be harder, so let's do this too.

BTW the gubmint started pushing their contracting officers hard back in the 2000s to end "time and materials" styles and move to firm fixed price contracts (we want this and will pay that. HOW you get there is your problem.)

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #7155 on: October 09, 2020, 12:16:49 PM »

Scope Creep isn't just at the range. :D

I always get into a "while I'm in here" mode when working on things. It's already apart and going back would be harder, so let's do this too.

BTW the gubmint started pushing their contracting officers hard back in the 2000s to end "time and materials" styles and move to firm fixed price contracts (we want this and will pay that. HOW you get there is your problem.)

I've worked for a A&E companies for almost thirty years and by far most of our FED work is through IDC contracts with fixed price task orders.  A lot of the State level work can still be T&M though.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #7156 on: October 12, 2020, 09:43:40 AM »
For a weekend without a single concrete plan, it sure seemed to turn into a neverending list of activities... But I'm not tired, and that weirds me out...

Firewood. Load #3, doesn't look like we are going to have to go in Feb this year. I love the place we found, I pay him $40/ trailer load (3/4-1 cord/load) for the scrap that falls out of his automated firewood operation. Pocket change for him, and winter heat for us. Win win.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Followed firewood up with beers and Polish food at a local brewery. GABF special early release of a damn awesome barrel aged Imperial Stout (appropriately named "Not a Speck Of Light" and 13.5%ABV  :eek:) and a tasty October Marzen. Sitting in the Colorado sun drinking beer with my honey on a fall afternoon is as close as it gets to nirvana.

Sunday found the wife at yoga in the park, where I busied myself by creeping and ogling. ok, and reading.  Afterwards, we trooped out to the local free range to test my functional alterations to my newest pistol/rifle. This $20 is TOTALLY the hot ticket for milsurp ammo! A 10 minute change of firing pin, and a heavier hammer spring resulted in NO light strikes, and I was able to run every bit of ammo that had misfired previously without a hiccup. New beauty shots resulted since now we're in love again. So sue me.

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online stevent

« Reply #7157 on: October 12, 2020, 09:53:06 AM »
Sounds like a near perfect weekend!
We went and looked at the mountain last weekend, that was fun. Poured down rain this weekend.

"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #7158 on: October 12, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »
Replaced the range hood above the stove which should have been a half-day job in a modern house, but took a day and a half in a house built in the '30s because we also replaced all the ducting from the hood to the roof cap. Eliminated a lot of 90 degree angles and now there is a straight shot to the outside.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #7159 on: October 12, 2020, 09:56:08 AM »
Recovering from a 2300 mile multi state vacation of hiking, riding the quad, and hanging with friends. Good times.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7160 on: October 14, 2020, 10:12:02 AM »

LT

Nice. With the right hand guard, you could slide a suppressor in there and not change the profile.

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #7161 on: October 15, 2020, 01:24:55 PM »
At school today:  Hung a couple TV's, ran a data cable down a long at hall, cleaned all the floors with the powered floor scrubber vacuum machine thing.

I have a student teacher who is in how three weeks of full-time teaching, and I can't just sit, so I'm helping the custodian.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #7162 on: October 15, 2020, 03:27:40 PM »
Chilly enough day for a mug of hot cider with cinnamon and nutmeg.

I should check the cages' spare tires for inflation.  It's good to do that twice a year or so.  Other than that, there's little to do to prep the condo for winter.  And it's possibly a couple of months away for winterizing the bike.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #7163 on: October 16, 2020, 02:31:34 PM »
We're having great riding weather, but circumstances are keeping me off the bike.  My wife has a shiny new health issue that might be nothing or it might be something, so lots of tests this week. And her sister is getting a bionic knee, and we've volunteered to help with the kids so their dad can work.  We're happy to do it, so I'm not complaining, but good riding weather will be getting scarce soon.

Oh well, who knew retirement would become a full time job?

Did a bit more Uncle duty as the sis-in-law had complications with her new knee and went in late last night. All is well, but she hurts.  My wife and a few of her other sisters also have pain in the same knee that was replaced, and their Mom also had that knee replaced.  Who knew knee issues could be passed down in such a specific manner?

My wife has one more test left, but they think her issue is a one-and-done arthroscopic procedure which they're assuring us is no big deal.  It's even done outpatient.  It certainly sounds promising in comparison to my Mom and her two brothers, who each had open heart bypass surgery.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #7164 on: October 16, 2020, 03:29:10 PM »
Last cpl days:  I repaired the steps for the back door of my gf's mobile home.
The white part is metal.  The wood that was on it was very soft.  One piece had a good size hole thru it.
I raised it up a step / level - eliminating the BIG first step out.  I added a railing.
Despite meticulous planning, I had to do 3 trips to the hardware store.   And I had to go to 2 lumber yards as the first didn't have treated 2x4 for the railing.
I sanded the railing (w/ belt sander) and it turned out quite nice.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #7165 on: October 16, 2020, 06:11:14 PM »
Despite meticulous planning, I had to do 3 trips to the hardware store.   And I had to go to 2 lumber yards as the first didn't have treated 2x4 for the railing.

Been there, done that.   :facepalm:

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #7166 on: October 16, 2020, 06:20:28 PM »

Been there, done that.   :facepalm:

It's not a project unless there's an extra trip or three.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #7167 on: October 16, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »
Had a runny nose last night and woke up with a sore throat from the drainage.  Filled out my COVID form and realized NOW I had a symptom.  Texted the boss, and since I have a good student teacher running the show the next couple weeks he told me to stay home and try to get a COVID test.  Since my wife works in a Peds office on Fridays, I went in and got one done.  15 minutes later, no COVID.

So, I sat home, cleaned up the B12 and changed the oil, put the Buell pegs from Shil on the SV, did some work in the barn, had a beer with my co-workers when they stopped by after school.
Let's do some science.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #7168 on: October 17, 2020, 05:02:25 AM »
Had a runny nose last night and woke up with a sore throat from the drainage.  Filled out my COVID form and realized NOW I had a symptom.  Texted the boss, and since I have a good student teacher running the show the next couple weeks he told me to stay home and try to get a COVID test.  Since my wife works in a Peds office on Fridays, I went in and got one done.  15 minutes later, no COVID.

So, I sat home, cleaned up the B12 and changed the oil, put the Buell pegs from Shil on the SV, did some work in the barn, had a beer with my co-workers when they stopped by after school.

good result
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7169 on: October 17, 2020, 10:32:39 AM »
I was pleased to see some (of the many) open projects start reaching completion.

The backstop for the pellet guns is nearly done. I want to add some "legs" to the frame so they can easily be deployed to give the stop a 30ยบ top-forward slope for ricochet control. Heavy enough that I put garden castors on the bottom.

I'll use a version of that solution to add a support "leg" under the bench seat in the large shower. Folded up underneath when not used but swing it down before sitting... just to be safe.

Also got half the shelves in the safe lined with anti-slip mat and (some kind of fuzzy clothe) on top of that. Ran out of the fuzzy cloth shelf liner so am waiting for more... but did figure out that carpet tape was the best choice.

Got confirmation from my Primary Care Phys that there's nothing to be concerned about. The medical people were very concerned when, earlier this week while I got some eye work touched up, checked my resting heart rate. They checked 4 times (2 with a machine and 2 manually) and were getting between 47-50 bpm. My primary called me back and we had a pretty long talk. That's my normal rate in her records.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:37:52 AM by Bounce »

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #7170 on: October 17, 2020, 01:14:54 PM »
Disassembled the Stihl BR600 backpack blower. There is wet around and I need to find it.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online stevent

« Reply #7171 on: October 18, 2020, 12:24:24 PM »
Sat in the garage watching it rain. Started the bike up and let it run for awhile so I could at least listen to some K bike whine. Drank a beer and felt sorry for myself, just the usual bullshit. (sigh)

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #7172 on: October 18, 2020, 07:20:33 PM »

Runny nose has transformed into sucky cold (spent most of today on the couch)- so now I'm home tomorrow as well.  If I even spread a cold to my students, they wind up staying home until they can get a test.  Not worth it.
Let's do some science.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #7173 on: October 19, 2020, 06:11:10 AM »
Disassembled the Stihl BR600 backpack blower. There is wet around and I need to find it.

Got a service kit and replaced the spark plug, 2 fuel filters and the air filter.  Also got a fuel line kit but I'm not going to replace anything till I can identify whether or not there's a leak.  I like being comfortable enough to tear it down now.  Probably a couple hundred dollars to have someone else do all this.  $$$

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #7174 on: October 19, 2020, 07:53:44 AM »
... and felt sorry for myself, just the usual bullshit. (sigh)

I feel you brother. There's times the blues just make no sense, but it doesn't keep them from being a real thing. In my head right now as well, and understanding =/= a solution for it. 
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7175 on: October 19, 2020, 08:47:36 AM »
Been working on new photos for the banner header at FJRForum.com. Lots of great submissions that are a nice change of pace from the factory stuff. If you're a member, you can select using the THEMES link at the bottom of each page.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:02:09 AM by Bounce »

Online stevent

« Reply #7176 on: October 19, 2020, 10:20:10 AM »

I feel you brother. There's times the blues just make no sense, but it doesn't keep them from being a real thing. In my head right now as well, and understanding =/= a solution for it. 
LT

Yeah, just a shit weekend. Judy was gone babysitting grandkids, pretty much rained all weekend, sciatica still bothering me so it's hard to get too energetic, bunch of crap in the garage that needs to be sorted through and disposed of before I can really do anything out there anyway, wound up sitting around watching TV.... pffffffft.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #7177 on: October 19, 2020, 04:29:20 PM »

LT
Yeah, just a shit weekend. Judy was gone babysitting grandkids, pretty much rained all weekend, sciatica still bothering me so it's hard to get too energetic, bunch of crap in the garage that needs to be sorted through and disposed of before I can really do anything out there anyway, wound up sitting around watching TV.... pffffffft.

Most everyone I know seems to get the blues, often with neither rhyme nor reason.  Mine seems to be the post-retirement realization that this is what it'll be until I go to the old folks home.  (Still better than working.)

Sometimes it helps me to find some small victory to celebrate when all seems gloomy.  I'll even make a victory by completing a task I've been putting off.  This helps me even if it's insignificant.  Not in order to pretend that the other problems aren't there, but to balance my mood.   

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #7178 on: October 19, 2020, 04:51:35 PM »
I don;t know if it's the beer, or the company, or just getting away from things but seems to me whenever I'm feeling down a trip to the local pub for a few beers with the old guys there results in me arriving back home with a "damn, my life is pretty good!" feeling??
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #7179 on: October 19, 2020, 08:09:43 PM »
I don;t know if it's the beer, or the company, or just getting away from things but seems to me whenever I'm feeling down a trip to the local pub for a few beers with the old guys there results in me arriving back home with a "damn, my life is pretty good!" feeling??

That happens to me when I go to Walmart...
Great googly-moogly!

Online stevent

« Reply #7180 on: October 20, 2020, 10:27:05 AM »

That happens to me when I go to Walmart...

Try Winco if there's one around, the Wal*Mart of grocery stores. There's definitely a correlation there though to be fair they have some killer fried chicken and joes in the deli. Even Grocery Outlet has a high brow clientele compared to them. I went there with my daughter and her family once and it was quite the eye-opener, from shitty diapers in the parking lot to five pound bags of generic fruit loops they have it all.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #7181 on: October 22, 2020, 02:13:58 PM »
My wife and I voted early. There was a steady stream of voters--no backlogs but no downtime for the poll workers.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #7182 on: October 22, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »
My wife and I voted early. There was a steady stream of voters--no backlogs but no downtime for the poll workers.

Me too! We also had a long line that moved quite steadily.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online stevent

« Reply #7183 on: October 22, 2020, 06:58:44 PM »
Washington has had vote by mail or dropbox for years, I don't have a problem with it. My wife and I dropped our ballots off yesterday along with my political give-a-shits. I figure I did my part, the chips will fall where they fall and we'll just have to deal with whomever wins. I'm not wasting any more mental energy on politics.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7184 on: October 23, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
Went to the ranges the past 2 days. Indoor yesterday and outdoor the day before.

Fun times!

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #7185 on: October 23, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »

Me too! We also had a long line that moved quite steadily.

Washington has had vote by mail or dropbox for years, I don't have a problem with it. My wife and I dropped our ballots off yesterday along with my political give-a-shits. I figure I did my part, the chips will fall where they fall and we'll just have to deal with whomever wins. I'm not wasting any more mental energy on politics.

Colorado also has vote by mail or dropbox so last week the wife and I took care of our part. As much as I loathe to admit it, there was evidence in our area of possible voter intimidation hovering around dropbox locations early on. Needless to say, the Mrs. and I weren't particularly unprepared for that possibility, nor believe that voters rights should be infringed...

(for the record, no issues were evident, and this photo op at the dropbox was mostly for giggles after that became apparent...)

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #7186 on: October 23, 2020, 03:38:20 PM »
You two look badass!
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7187 on: October 24, 2020, 09:55:15 AM »
You two look badass!

I thought they looked sleepy/high. :D

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #7188 on: October 24, 2020, 12:23:00 PM »

LT
I'll quote Mr. T
"I pity the fool who tries to car-jack this couple".
 :bigsmile:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #7189 on: October 25, 2020, 12:40:47 PM »
Filled my fall Turkey tag with the bow Friday.  A nice Tom.  Currently his breast, legs and thighs are on the smoker.
Let's do some science.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #7190 on: October 25, 2020, 08:21:51 PM »
I thought they looked sleepy/high. :D

Full confession, schlepping across town to submit our ballots did happen after my bed-time...  ut it was worth ice-cream afterwards, so I was fine suffering!

In other news, I got one more load of firewood Sat. morning. Even though I though we were already set,  a cool breeze up my neck said get more since there was room. And here it is a day later, its been snowing all day (4in~) and it hasn't gotten over 17deg all day. Worth it.

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #7191 on: Yesterday at 10:18:39 AM »
Hiked a 4 1/2 mile section of the Montour trail
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #7192 on: Yesterday at 10:31:23 AM »
shovelled snow and chipped an apparently non-working tank heater out of a horse tank. I'm ready for spring....
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:46:42 AM by Black Hills »
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #7193 on: Yesterday at 10:44:02 AM »
shovelled snow and chipped an apparently now-working tank heater out of a horse tank. I'm ready for spring....

Did you mean NOT working?  Elsewise, would it not require chipping?  :)

Online Black Hills

« Reply #7194 on: Yesterday at 10:47:12 AM »
haha, fixed   :-[

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #7195 on: Yesterday at 11:46:26 AM »
I took my bionic sister in law to physical therapy.  And she asked if I could pick up a few groceries while I was waiting.  I thought it'd be easy--but they hid the canned pumpkin on a bottom shelf in the Halloween candy aisle.  I looked all over the canned veggie aisle and the baking aisle before finding where it was hidden.  Who lays out their store!  Must not be a human who eats!

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7196 on: Today at 09:06:01 AM »
Cleaned another dirty bird after it spent time at the range.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #7197 on: Today at 01:05:17 PM »
I reviewed my online medical notes, and got a chuckle.  I've repeatedly joked about my allergies being limited to just two things:  the outdoors and the indoors.  My official records under ongoing conditions now read: "Allergies, indoors and outdoors."  These seem like a good bunch of docs.