Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do today Non moto  (Read 541082 times)

miles and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette 400, farkled for long distances
Re: What did you do today Non moto
« Reply #6050 on: October 11, 2019, 06:20:00 PM »
We decided to go back to cable after trying YouTubeTV.  There's just too many channels on YouTubeTV that require us to watch commercials even though we recorded the program.  So I picked up two cable boxes and discovered that one of the cable outlets doesn't work.  I switched components, including cables, so it must be the outlet.  And I checked the signal booster, all connections, etc., so I'm now at a loss.  They're sending a tech.   :-\

In lighter news, I picked up the waterline kit to hook up my beer fridge icemaker. 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6051 on: October 13, 2019, 09:04:19 PM »
Cable tech came and discovered that someone had cut the coax going to the outlet where we couldn't get the dvr working--a new metal connector and hooking it up and our tv was good to go.  Another mystery from the new home.  Who would have done this and why?

Brother in law came and helped me trim the protruding counter to fit the beer fridge in our basement bar.  The icemaker worked perfectly after hooking up the water line. We also shaved down some doors that were rubbing on the carpet and adjusted the sliding patio door. 

A productive day.  :beerchug:

Later, probably this winter, I'll be helping him put a copper panel ceiling in his bar.  A couple of years ago, I helped him with their bar floor, some cabinets, and countertops.  He also wants to put in a tap--that'll be fun!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #6052 on: October 14, 2019, 08:49:02 AM »
The harvest is officially over. Now I see why commercial growers are constantly looking for professional bud-tenders. It’s definitely skilled labor, and a digitally demanding profession. I’m sure there’s a bunch of turnover as well from young kids thinking it’s a great way to be near the substance they love, but in reality it’s a sticky and dirty and time intensive process. As well, I read that kids that folks not using appropriate PPE are developing allergies and rashes from the product (and if that won’t spoil your weekend, I don’t know what will).

All told, we spent 2 weeks or so on the harvest process, last bits coming down just before the first mild freeze. I’m fairly gratified however. I see why commercial grow operations are literally a cash cow… even with overhead, those operations are harvesting constantly, by spacing out the forced growing cycle and renewing it with new plants in various stages of development. Very much the definition of commercial agriculture. And as long as the market is there for the new production, it’s making money hand over fist.

But enough of the idle speculation… All told, for the investment of some seeds, and garden space (that was being watered anyway), we spent the summer growing 3 trees. The final production numbers were approximately 23 ounces of Wacky-Tobaccy, and 3-4 grams of seeds for next year (1.5-2.5oz/large jar).

True value is wildly variable due to retail cost variences, but I would say this would be worth (in a Colorado retail setting) somewhere between $2300-$5500. Rounded DOWN for non-professional knowledge or packaging. Now I see why back in the days of a strictly black market economy people were still willing to start grow operations out in the woods… as well why some folks were willing to go to such lengths to clandestinely grow their own stash.  Very instructive actually.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And a final harvest of all green tomatoes before the freeze… No man can exist on MJ alone.

Great googly-moogly!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6053 on: October 14, 2019, 05:11:56 PM »
I'll try to make this the last posting about the basement bar fridge.  No promises!   :D

The water line comes into the fridge's space from the side cabinet.  There's plenty of room, but it's about 2 1/2 inches out from the wall, and the fridge could get shoved in further.  If that were to happen, the water line might get sheared off, and that would not be a happy thing.  So, a 2 1/2 inch piece of scrap wood could make a nice bumper.  But having recently moved here, I have no scrap wood.  I wandered the big box store and found their $1 scraps, and there was a 2" by 3" by 4 foot board.  In real measurements it was 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 so it was the right dimension.  Brought it home and cut it to fit with my father's good old circular saw (possibly older than I am).  I dropped it in and a person would have to be tilting the beer fridge backward to shear the water line. 

I honestly can't see us having that rowdy of a party.     :chili: :beerchug: :banana:  :facepalm: :mad:

There's also a couple of very small paint chips where the handle had been before I reversed the door openings.  A tiny bottle of appliance paint and the beer fridge will look brand new instead of 18 years old.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #6054 on: October 14, 2019, 05:45:11 PM »
Dug out my main family tent for a monthlong road trip down south.  The van is ok for good weather, but inclement?  Nah!  As I was retrieving it from cold storage, my mind flashed back that one of the big poles needed new elastic.  It broke the last time I used the tent and I just put it away with good intentions and waiting on a round tuit to arrive. 

Where to find bulk elastic cord?  JoAnn's Fabrics is the place!  Six yards, six bucks.  Ka-ching! 

Got some good old safety wire from the shop tool box, threaded the elastic on and crimped the wire tight around it.  It held for four sections before pulling off.  Rethreaded and finished the job.  And now we're good to go. 

--Tom

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6055 on: October 16, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »
Last night we turned on a seldom used lamp, only to notice it flickering.  I replaced the socket today and all is good.

I also added a light above the sink in our basement bar.  I probably shouldn't be allowed to browse the big box stores without adult supervision, too many things I didn't know that I needed are lurking there.

Since I drank the last Guinness in my inventory last night, the fridges needed stocking.  More Guinness, Lakefront Brewery's IPA:  https://untappd.com/b/lakefront-brewery-ipa/5226, and Lagunitas' Little Sumpin':  https://lagunitas.com/beer/a-little-sumpin-sumpin.

Online Bubbles

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #6056 on: October 16, 2019, 05:15:14 PM »
Excellent choices.

I had a Guiness Black & Black yesterday; Guiness beer and black currant juice. That was lovely.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #6057 on: October 20, 2019, 07:00:36 AM »
Shoe shopping yesterday. Whee. Good score tho. Merrill makes a waterproof mid height black (which of course means tactical) boot. Way squishier than my backpackers or even my Keen light hikers.  Should be good for all day on the go. Definitely more subtle than the highlighter yellow trail runners I would prefer to wear.

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-2-mid-tactical-waterproof-boot/29993M.html
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #6058 on: October 20, 2019, 09:25:02 AM »
Hiked trails in Graham park,did a little ove 9 miles of varied terrain.Fall colors were pretty.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
« Reply #6059 on: October 20, 2019, 03:03:08 PM »
Put the rest of the wood in the shed (mostly), cleaned up the tractor shed and set everything up to put the roof in the extension tomorrow.
i eats paste

Offline Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #6060 on: October 20, 2019, 04:26:57 PM »
Excellent choices.

I had a Guiness Black & Black yesterday; Guiness beer and black currant juice. That was lovely.
This thread is making me thirsty.
 8)
Cleaned the pond.
I don't get paid enough around here...
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison
"If you pour some music on whatever is wrong, it’ll sure help out” - Levon Helm

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #6061 on: October 20, 2019, 05:25:53 PM »
Cut up 5 sheets of MDF to make wainscoting for my daughter. Now I have to sand 420 edges. Cough. Cough. Dust masks work...sort of.
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6062 on: October 20, 2019, 07:52:00 PM »
My wife and I helped her sister to pick out new window treatments for a few rooms in their house.  My job was primarily to measure accurately and discuss the options in terms of functionality and durability (teenagers and all that).  But my thoughts on colors were also sought after.

Online Bubbles

• Contributor
« Reply #6063 on: October 21, 2019, 07:29:44 AM »
Cut up 5 sheets of MDF to make wainscoting for my daughter. Now I have to sand 420 edges. Cough. Cough. Dust masks work...sort of.

I'm working on that in small dribs and drabs in our family room. Sweet jesus, what a complete waste of time. But my wife really likes the look. And the wall behind the old stuff is for shit, so I guess it's easier than fixing a bunch of old drywall. (sigh)

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #6064 on: October 21, 2019, 08:22:44 AM »
Chain saw and pole pruner day.  Lots of tree canopy and low growing shrubbery to be moved up/out for spring.  Sometime next week will be rent-a-big-chipper day.
--Tom

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #6065 on: October 21, 2019, 09:13:59 AM »
 crappy weather so washed the 300 from the ride saturday, replaced rear brake pads and gave it a good look over for other issues. Then cleaned up the garage, watched the motoGP race and went out for supper with my wife.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #6066 on: October 21, 2019, 04:24:35 PM »
Yesterday I sewed up a hat for Sprout's Link (Twilight Princess version) costume.  Today we'll work on the Master Sword!

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #6067 on: October 22, 2019, 12:08:51 PM »
Still coordinating work requests with the buyers agent and our agent for the sale of our house. I had the gutter repairs done, septic tank pumped and inspected, in the process of filing the report with the county, I have the furnace guys coming out on Monday for an inspection and a crew coming out Thursday for some minor pick up work. The appraiser was out yesterday so we're still waiting on her report. And I sent the specs in to Milgard for a couple of blown window seals, since I'm the original owner the window repairs are free at least. What a pain in the butt, The house is in excellent shape but there's always going to be little issues with a 20 year old house.

We watched 3 of our grandkids over the weekend so my wife had them helping pack. At least that's going well, though we have accumulated a ton of stuff over the years most of which will wind up in Goodwill I'm sure.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online Bubbles

• Contributor
« Reply #6068 on: October 22, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »
Today, finally got to see the surgeon for Liz's broken arm. He's convinced it'll heal ok, and the bigger issue is the severe spraining of the soft tissues, and her elbow dis- and relocating several times a day. He's got her in a sling and doing some very minor exercises while her ligaments tighten back up. Her arm had over-extended by about 40*, so all the tendons, etc., are a sloppy, floppy mess in that arm. The swelling and pain are insane, but the fracture (radial head fracture) and resulting bone fragments seem to be a much smaller issue.

Three docs, four different imaging sessions, and a shit ton of out-of-pocket cash because third party health insurance administrators are terrible.

Funny what happens when you say "uhm... you cashed the check like a week ago, why am I showing as not enrolled any more?" And they ask for the check as proof and you provide it within like 3 minutes.

(sigh)

I swear, I exist just to be a cautionary tale to anyone thinking of living outside the normal 9-5 corporate norm. :(

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #6069 on: October 22, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »
Finally got a roundtuit for my old Craftsman commercial string trimmer/brushcutter repairs.  It's needed before the snow flies to clear some undergrowth in the back yard.  Several *cough* (20) years ago, I pulled the cord out and just put it aside because I had a small one that would get the easy job done.  Well, the carb gummed up, the fuel lines failed and it obviously won't start. 

Spent 15 minutes finding model and part numbers for a carb rebuild kit and a manual (for accessory part numbers).  $7 later on eBay, the rebuild kit with fuel lines are ordered and will be here Monday.  It'll get pulled apart and boiled out on the stove with a solution of Pinesol and water, 25/75%.  A good rinse with carb cleaner and put it all back proper like.

Now to find the brush blade kit! 
--Tom

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #6070 on: October 22, 2019, 02:28:10 PM »
Finished making some trim for my daughter. I’ll have to install it since she’s still recovering from shoulder surgery. She goes to physio and chiro every day and they started acupuncture last week also. She’s finally showing improvement. She’s lucky everything is covered although OHIP won’t pay for the coffee and doughnuts 🍩
😎
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #6071 on: October 22, 2019, 04:48:58 PM »

I swear, I exist just to be a cautionary tale to anyone thinking of living outside the normal 9-5 corporate norm. :(

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0535/6917/products/mistakesdemotivator.jpeg?v=1554328460
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #6072 on: October 22, 2019, 05:37:01 PM »
Her arm had over-extended by about 40*

:eek:
I was trying to picture that, then decided my life was better if I didn't.
Give her our best. And make her rest. That soft tissue stuff is such a bear to get to heal properly.
A man with no sig

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6073 on: October 22, 2019, 07:53:09 PM »
Today, finally got to see the surgeon for Liz's broken arm. He's convinced it'll heal ok, and the bigger issue is the severe spraining of the soft tissues, and her elbow dis- and relocating several times a day. He's got her in a sling and doing some very minor exercises while her ligaments tighten back up. Her arm had over-extended by about 40*, so all the tendons, etc., are a sloppy, floppy mess in that arm. The swelling and pain are insane, but the fracture (radial head fracture) and resulting bone fragments seem to be a much smaller issue.

Three docs, four different imaging sessions, and a shit ton of out-of-pocket cash because third party health insurance administrators are terrible.

Funny what happens when you say "uhm... you cashed the check like a week ago, why am I showing as not enrolled any more?" And they ask for the check as proof and you provide it within like 3 minutes.

(sigh)

Wow, Liz' injury sounds a lot worse than I thought from your earlier posts.  I hope she mends quickly.

And your last comment, it's sure getting more difficult to find career security with good benefits and a pension.  Even with some theoretically unbreakable employers.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #6074 on: October 22, 2019, 08:54:19 PM »
Sunday.  We had GORGEOUS October weather.  Up to about 70 with full sun, so I took what is probably my last chance to sit, read, and enjoy a cigar and double old-fashioned by the pool.

The slide ladder was my side-table- most of the furniture is put away.  Both books are interesting, but Sapiens is amazing.  We'll see how long it takes me to finish it though.  This is the busy season after all...

Probably the last poolside cigar of 2019, (even though the pool is closed).  Long live Arturo Fuente's Chateau series!

Today it's 40 something , blowing like CRAZY and raining.  Lake Michigan is at it's highest in decades, so I'd imagine you'll shortly be hearing about cottages washing in as the dunes erode with the massive waves and high water.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online Bubbles

• Contributor
« Reply #6075 on: October 23, 2019, 07:57:55 AM »
Wow, Liz' injury sounds a lot worse than I thought from your earlier posts.  I hope she mends quickly.

And your last comment, it's sure getting more difficult to find career security with good benefits and a pension.  Even with some theoretically unbreakable employers.

Yeah, it's gone from fracture and 4-8 weeks of heal and therapy to some major soft tissue stretching and "shredding", and 3-6 months of healing, therapy and SLOWLY getting back into activities like motorcycling and equestrian work. This turned out to be a much bigger mess than initially thought :(

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #6076 on: October 23, 2019, 08:04:20 AM »

Is there no evidence of soft tissue separation?

Online Bubbles

• Contributor
« Reply #6077 on: October 23, 2019, 08:07:55 AM »

Is there no evidence of soft tissue separation?

Nothing seems to be torn, and having read enough CT and MRIs with my own issues, it looks to my untrained but familiar eyes like I concur; I think she's just a tendon wet noodle in there, and in a few weeks they're going to be rubber-banded back, tight, and ready for PT and re-limbering work. Her arm overflexed by about 40* and dislocated her elbow (hence the stretching), but she's super fortunate that she's strong (she does weight work to keep strong for her various activities). Pulled muscles, stretched tendons, but nothing separated. Super fortunate.

And thanks, man. I'll let her know folks are asking after her.   :inlove:

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6078 on: October 23, 2019, 02:50:27 PM »
Well … I've come to the conclusion that I caught a cold today.  Or more accurately, I caught it some time ago and the symptoms arrived today.   :cry:

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #6079 on: October 23, 2019, 04:00:34 PM »
Sounds promising for a full recovery.👍

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #6080 on: October 23, 2019, 10:04:00 PM »
Nice day. AFTER dropping off my car to be fixed after hitting something on a dark highway at night. If a standard lane width is 12', then this was 6-8' in diameter and about 2 to 3" thick. I first thought it might be the base to a traffic construction barrel but I saw one of those today and what I hit wasn't that. It was massive and happened too quickly to swerve. I scrubbed off some speed before getting back off the brakes right before the strike.

So far: 2 bent rims being sent off to be straightened, a 4-wheel alignment, and closer inspection of the other bits of front and rear suspension.

Other things also being done while there (tires, detail, 3m clear "bra"). I waited a while to do the clear film "bra" on my last car. It stopped addition stone chips. Getting this done sooner on this car was always a plan so in for a penny, in for a pound.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6081 on: October 26, 2019, 11:57:11 AM »
Stupid cold.  I thought it would be mild as it came on slowly.  Like I'd be able to ignore it and go about my business.  But I woke with a clogged head.

I'd like to have a pressure relief valve installed on my sinuses.  Or maybe a miniature pipe snake?

My day likely won't involve leaving the comfy chair in my study.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #6082 on: October 26, 2019, 01:03:06 PM »
Spent the morning trimming up trees, clearing dead wood out of the wild areas of the yard and prepping a section for tilling and seeding come spring.  12 lawn bags ready for pickup on Tuesday.  It'll probably go up to 20 on Monday when I clean up leaves again.
--Tom

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #6083 on: October 26, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »
Pruned a tree,leaf pickup and started packing away my summer yard art pcs for the year.Took down the rain barrels ( they split from ice otherwise ) and returned to standard downspouts  .Will have big leaf cleanup in a couple weeks. Also put the Penguins statue out for my hockey team ( tradition for me ) . I'll miss yard work during the long dark grey months.😑
VIVA EL STINKO

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6084 on: October 26, 2019, 04:48:04 PM »
Pruned a tree,leaf pickup and started packing away my summer yard art pcs for the year.Took down the rain barrels ( they split from ice otherwise ) and returned to standard downspouts  .Will have big leaf cleanup in a couple weeks. Also put the Penguins statue out for my hockey team ( tradition for me ) . I'll miss yard work during the long dark grey months.😑

Pic of said Penguin statue? 

Signed paperwork on new zero turn mower. Will be delivered next week sometime. Pics when it gets here. Should be able to use it one time before the big chill. Going to be a long winter waiting to use it.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6085 on: October 26, 2019, 10:02:02 PM »
I possibly prevented my neighbors from having a housefire.  We share a common wall, so a win for everyone!

Their doorbell unit was buzzing, not ringing, and emitting a smell like it was overheating. It had possibly been doing this for several hours while everyone was away.  I quickly disconnected the low voltage lines going to the button, and the buzzing stopped and the unit eventually cooled down and the smell dissipated.  Upon investigation, the plastic on their button was broken in and likely was keeping the circuit in a continuously live condition.

I offered to disconnect the unit from the power and cap the ends.  But we tried numerous circuits and the power to the unit didn't go off, and we couldn't find where the transformer was hidden.  I suggested we quit guessing and turn all the power off for the moment it would take me to do the disconnection, but they didn't want to do that.  (Maybe the stepped down voltage would have been safe to disconnect with the power still on, but I wasn't certain and didn't want to take the chance and get shocked.)  Still, the unit was cool to the touch and not smelling, so it's probably safe for the time being.

I also recommended replacing both the button and the entire unit; they're not expensive units and there's no reason to take a risk that there wasn't permanent damage that would maybe be dangerous.

I don't have any illusions of being the Handyman Supreme (I have an Air Force bro-in-law who possibly holds that title).  But one thing I found interesting was that my motorcycle travel toolbag is more comprehensive than all the tools in their entire household. These things must be relative as I have the least number of tools of anyone in my extended family and think of myself as a novice, but the neighbors seem to think that I'm Tim Allen.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:11:32 AM by Baxter »

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #6086 on: October 27, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »

Signed paperwork on new zero turn mower. Will be delivered next week sometime. Pics when it gets here. Should be able to use it one time before the big chill. Going to be a long winter waiting to use it.
When i get around to it , ( someday when I turn my phone on (not often) or have one of my cameras out). Ps are you one of those...ahem Red Wing people?  :blbl:
VIVA EL STINKO

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #6087 on: October 27, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »
Not today but last week before the cold front that also brought all the Halloween Eve Week rains.

Flushed all the gutters.
Washed the outside screens and windows.
Washed the siding.
Trimmed the NEIGHBOR'S trees where they hang over the fence in the back and make me have to duck when walking in my front yard.
Changed all the vents in the house for winter configuration.
Brrr.... it's in the 40s and 50s in the mornings.

Also found this quote from Chornberger that I bet he's forgotten:

Wonder Twin Powers Activate: Form of: a douche bag Shape of: a short bus - CH

(Maybe the stepped down voltage would have been safe to disconnect with the power still on, but I wasn't certain and didn't want to take the chance and get shocked.)

Usually 24v. It can nip you but using insulated needle nose to handle the wires will work. The transformer can be anywhere. When I was a helper, we put then in the attic above the chime. In my current house there's the HVAC blower and condenser so that would be a cluttered mess. I found they'd put it in a box in the wall behind the chime. Makes for an easy swap without attic work. That doesn't address the wires if the circuit got warm enough to put them into question.

Is that an entubar-rolled cigar I see?

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #6088 on: October 27, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »
Watched 2 episodes of Inside Bill’s Brain.
And also a Netflix movie about the White Helmets.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #6089 on: October 27, 2019, 04:29:59 PM »

(Maybe the stepped down voltage would have been safe to disconnect with the power still on, but I wasn't certain and didn't want to take the chance and get shocked.)

Usually 24v. It can nip you but using insulated needle nose to handle the wires will work. The transformer can be anywhere. When I was a helper, we put then in the attic above the chime. In my current house there's the HVAC blower and condenser so that would be a cluttered mess. I found they'd put it in a box in the wall behind the chime. Makes for an easy swap without attic work. That doesn't address the wires if the circuit got warm enough to put them into question.

Thanks.  I'll check if the neighbors still want help--they're starting a kitchen remodel and were thinking of asking the electrician to just add the doorbell to the project, but my time is free.   I looked around my unit at leisure and also cannot find the transformer.  Likely in the attic as you said.

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #6090 on: October 27, 2019, 05:15:35 PM »
Watched 2 episodes of Inside Bill’s Brain.
And also a Netflix movie about the White Helmets.

I have watched the first two episodes of Bill's Brain. Waiting on the Mrs to catch up so we can watch the last episode together. Extremely interesting man. Not at all what i thought he would be like.

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #6091 on: October 27, 2019, 05:21:33 PM »

When i get around to it , ( someday when I turn my phone on (not often) or have one of my cameras out). Ps are you one of those...ahem Red Wing people?  :blbl:

I used to be a "wing nut", lived and breathed all that was the winged wheel. I have since given up on all professional sports.

With the high winds today, all the leaves are down on my trees.  Cleaned out the gutters on the barn and swapped out a couple decaying bird houses. Late in the afternoon the winds died down and the sun came out. Enjoyed what will probably be my last beer outside for the year.   :) :-[

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #6092 on: October 27, 2019, 05:46:41 PM »
26 deg.  And windy so hung out in the garage and washed/waxed my pickup
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #6093 on: October 27, 2019, 06:03:32 PM »
Welding scrap metal trophies to used rotors and clear-coating them.
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #6094 on: October 27, 2019, 06:47:43 PM »

Show and tell please
i eats paste

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
« Reply #6095 on: October 28, 2019, 09:42:57 AM »
Sounds cool, I have been making lamps out of old trumpets, horns ect that are not functional as musical instruments anymore, also a few car parts lamps and clocks thrown in ( pistons, flywheels).
VIVA EL STINKO

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #6096 on: October 28, 2019, 11:02:57 AM »

Show and tell please

Stay tuned.

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #6097 on: October 28, 2019, 07:13:21 PM »
Went to the doctor’s office to ask for a referral for a stress test. He spent 20 minutes asking me questions and doing a few tests then told me I’m too healthy. I can insist but I’m not going against his advice.
I celebrated with carrot cake for dessert.
😎🎂

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #6098 on: October 28, 2019, 08:13:28 PM »

Show and tell please

So here are all the trophies we have to weld up for a race weekend. Usually two races a weekend, three podiums and four class winners per race, 14 trophies total. The 8 class tropies are welded to 4×6 steel plates. The six podium trophies are welded to an appropriate used up rotor.

My small army.

Here are the class trophies after being welded and sprayed with clear-coat.

And here are some finished podium trophies for a 24 hour race at VIR. Water bottle for scale. Note: we did not do these particular trophies, but M.Brane does the welding and I get the steel plates and rotors and clear coat the trophies.

I have another race in December, so I'll try to get some action shots.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #6099 on: October 29, 2019, 04:00:49 AM »
That's cool.
i eats paste