Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do today Non moto  (Read 544827 times)

Eh2zed and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
Re: What did you do today Non moto
« Reply #5900 on: August 26, 2019, 07:51:56 AM »
You guys remind me WHY I keep resisting the pull of 'cheap' Beemers... thanks!  :bigok:
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #5901 on: August 26, 2019, 10:38:54 AM »
You guys remind me WHY I keep resisting the pull of 'cheap' Beemers... thanks!  :bigok:
LT

I'm afraid they're like cat nip for me. I've had 7 of them, when they're right they're perfect. When they act up you just have to accept the fact that Germans have their own way of thinking and doing things, I've come close to dropping a match in the gas tank more than once over the years but I always manage to figure their shit out.

It helps that my distant ancestors were Scandinavian and German and my parents always drove European cars. Try working on a mid-70's Saab if you want an perfect example of Nordic / Germanic assholery.

:baldy:
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online The Artist Formerly Known As Bubbles

• Contributor
  • Cookie's bitch
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #5902 on: August 26, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »
I don't understand how I could have gotten suckered TWICE and bought a BMW after my K12RS fiasco. Now I've got an R11S with a baffed ABS pump that costs $4280 Cdn plus installation and tax. My Blackbird never needed a thing in 6 years. And it's not like I ride 10,000 kms a year. I'm averaging 4000-6000kms per year.
I'm betting my CBF1000 could go 10 years without even changing the oil of adjusting the chain.

You're dumb. :D
this signature on hold pending review

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
« Reply #5903 on: August 26, 2019, 03:11:59 PM »
Sat around with my thumb firmly planted up my ass waiting for UPS.

UPS sucks goat balls.
i eats paste

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #5904 on: August 26, 2019, 05:23:42 PM »
I don't understand how I could have gotten suckered TWICE and bought a BMW after my K12RS fiasco. Now I've got an R11S with a baffed ABS pump that costs $4280 Cdn plus installation and tax. My Blackbird never needed a thing in 6 years. And it's not like I ride 10,000 kms a year. I'm averaging 4000-6000kms per year.
I'm betting my CBF1000 could go 10 years without even changing the oil of adjusting the chain.

I’m betting your BMW will go a lot further than that without a chain adjustment.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #5905 on: August 26, 2019, 07:53:45 PM »
First day of school, teaching year #26.  Still love it.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #5906 on: August 27, 2019, 02:17:40 AM »

And he still has the same damn mug he did when he started.
i eats paste

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #5907 on: August 27, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »
I went out to the barn to look for the chain. I can't find it. Where should I look? Is it in front of or behind the left handed reemerfrazer?
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #5908 on: August 27, 2019, 08:22:25 PM »
Look in the Last Place, first.
Works every time.
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison
"If you pour some music on whatever is wrong, it’ll sure help out” - Levon Helm
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• Contributor
  • Cookie's bitch
« Reply #5909 on: August 28, 2019, 06:55:07 AM »

UPS sucks goat balls.

I will still take UPS's worst service over FedEx's best, all day long.

Ordered a couple of Raspberry Pi kits for the step son's birthday, and after 2 delivery exceptions - WHILE WE WERE HOME - because they require signatures and they never knocked or rang the bell, and I have the Ring video doorbell clips showing it - EVEN AFTER TELLING CANAKIT TO NEVER AGAIN SHIP VIA FED EX - FINALLY got a human on the line only to be told - ON THE BOY'S BIRTHDAY - "meeeeesta creeeee, yoh pakaj ah truh delee todah".

I eventually figured out she was saying that my package was on the truck to be delivered today.

It didn't delee todah. It delee'd tomoah. (well, that day's tomoah, which was like a week ago now)

Fuck FedEx, Not a fan.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #5910 on: August 28, 2019, 09:12:11 AM »

UPS sucks goat balls.

Not as bad as FedEx who damaged a laptop I shipped and is dragging its feet on honoring the insurance I paid for... to the tune of going on 2 months.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #5911 on: August 28, 2019, 09:17:03 AM »
I have a similar situation but because I'm out where I am, it's really about the individual drivers.  My UPS guy is amazing.  We have a long steep driveway and regardless of the package, if it's valuable, he'll either call and say he doesn't feel comfortable leaving it (since there's a trailer park nearby not that there's anything wrong with that) or he'll huff whatever it is up around the first turn so it can't be seen from the road.  I'm talking big heavy packages.  Brian is a good dude.  That's also why he gets a card w/ cash in it around Christmas time. 

The Fed Ex douche bag on the other hand couldn't even be bothered to put the ramps we just ordered on the other side of the gate much less up near the "post box" we have sitting near the gate.  Apparently, he just dumped them in front of the gate.  By the looks of the packaging on the ends, dump might just be the right word.  Fortunately, my one awesome "neighbor" saw some activity as he was helping another neighbor and came over and picked them up and put them up around the first turn out of sight.  He's old and they were heavy.  Love that dude. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #5912 on: August 28, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »
I like both our Fed-Ex and UPS guys.  The express girl is smoking hot so that's a plus as well. The whole by the end of day thing though, a guy who I've never seen shows up all dorpdy dorpdy dorp.

Who was that guy?

If it's nothing I have to sign for it's here by 2:00. Always. The last two times I had to sign, "End of day".
i eats paste

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #5913 on: August 28, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »
What did I do today?  Set up a firm date when retirement travel will commence.  The three weeks on the road resparked my wanderlust.  So, in two weeks, the camper and van hits the road somewhere.  Pointing the nose south and just going.  No freeways, no rush.
--Tom

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette 400, farkled for long distances
« Reply #5914 on: August 28, 2019, 11:29:54 AM »
What did I do today?  Set up a firm date when retirement travel will commence.  The three weeks on the road resparked my wanderlust.  So, in two weeks, the camper and van hits the road somewhere.  Pointing the nose south and just going.  No freeways, no rush.

That sounds like a great plan!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #5915 on: August 28, 2019, 11:35:20 AM »
We're futzing around trying to choose a new health insurance policy to go along with moving to our new state.  It's just like with buying motorcycles--nobody seems to offer the exact combination that I want (the right provider networks, HSA compatibility, etc.) at any price, so just get the plan with the least annoying shortcomings at a reasonable price.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #5916 on: August 28, 2019, 01:43:04 PM »
No comment. ☺
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #5917 on: August 28, 2019, 07:59:34 PM »

And he still has the same damn mug he did when he started.

Because it tastes like coffee.  And I have had the mug longer than I have been teaching!
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online stevent

« Reply #5918 on: August 30, 2019, 09:27:34 AM »
I'm taking the Sonata in for an oil change after our Epic Road Trip of 2019. The dealership I go to is decent enough but they always try to put this Krex "oil conditioner" shit in the engine. I have to tell them not to specifically, and I write "No Krex" on the work order before I sign it.

I'd tell them to fuck off, but it cost the same for me to take the car there as it does to do it myself, plus if I ever have a warranty beef it'll show all the factory (not dealership) maintenance items have been performed and documented.

The snake oil crap still pisses me off though.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #5919 on: August 30, 2019, 01:26:41 PM »
I just spent 2 1/2 hours scraping the glass electric cooktop at our new place.  The previous owner was more tidy than most people.  But the cooktop had rings of baked on spillage around each burner.  So, after giving up on soft-scrub and plastic scrapers, I hit it with a razor. I dulled up one new blade, and mostly dulled another before I was done.  It looks good now.

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #5920 on: August 30, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »
We have a glass top stove and we hate it. It looks like crap even when it's "clean".
Next renovation will be for a gas line to the kitchen and then a gas stove.

Offline radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #5921 on: August 30, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »
Agree completely about glass top stove.  We've found that good old Arm & Hammer baking soda and a wet sponge work as good or better than any "designed for.." cleaning products.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #5922 on: August 30, 2019, 08:07:44 PM »
Took the quad to our friends place who also have 20 acres and rode around on their trails. Good times. I may never tap the full potential of this beast.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
« Reply #5923 on: August 30, 2019, 10:20:04 PM »
They are SOOO handy and fun.  I was out at our deer hunting land today clearing trails.  I have a box mounted on the rack up front that holds a chainsaw and several other things.  I got stuck once in swampy stuff (part of it is a peat bog)- I just pulled it out.  It's small (250cc) but has hauled two guys, two deer, and associated gear out of the woods.  The things is a HUGE asset for dealng with land tracts and the management thereof.

Plus they are just fun to rip around on.
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #5924 on: August 31, 2019, 07:16:05 AM »
Came home the other day and Kim had done 4 or 5 huge loads of brush that she'd gotten from the woods. She hooked up the 5x8 landscape trailer and went into the woods to pick up a bunch of old stuff along with the stuff we'd just recently cut to widen the trails. She had it all burned by the time I got home. She loves it.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #5925 on: August 31, 2019, 07:31:21 AM »
After it stopped raining and the temp dropped (from 92+º to 70º), I went to home despot. Then I used the twirly thing to spin the pointy things and poked holes in wooden things. After that I used the wiggly thing to move the jumpy thing to widen the holes in the wooden things.

I then compromised the faraday cage that is The Shop and in the next few hours hooked up the little portable A/C. That made it more comfortable than many 3rd world countries. Temps are stable now and I don't have to put off shop projects during the heat of the summer.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:56:51 AM by Bounce »

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #5926 on: August 31, 2019, 03:15:47 PM »
Agree completely about glass top stove.  We've found that good old Arm & Hammer baking soda and a wet sponge work as good or better than any "designed for.." cleaning products.

I agree that A & H or plain old Soft Scrub work as well or better than stovetop-specific cleaners that cost more due to the name (and they are probably the exact same product).  That usually works well if a spill is caught without being repeatedly baked on.  My problem was that this mess had lingered and been repeatedly baked onto each burner.  This put it beyond a simple scrubbing.

My next step with this stove will be an ordeal. Somehow gunk got in the inside of the double-pane oven window.  The only thing I can think of doing is removing the oven door and seeing if it can be disassembled.  I'll have time to spend looking for parts diagrams this coming winter. 

If and when the stove dies, we might look into installing a gas unit.  The stove is almost directly above the furnace, so the piping should be easy-peasy.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #5927 on: September 01, 2019, 06:51:44 AM »
Finally got some much needed fence work done. We had one section completely destroyed by a tree two weeks after install. Awesome. We had to cut another larger section to let the electric guys in when trees fell on power lines. We replaced that section with a gate which was a tad short so I added another post to close up the gap. Then took that good section we cut out and put it where the smaller section had been destroyed. Dremels are amazing tools. Better still is a fence stretcher. Good day. Also 23rd anniversary.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #5928 on: September 01, 2019, 10:55:28 AM »
Got the Pioneer PL-55DX turntable out of [storage], hooked it up and readjusted the arm and stylus. Figured out the poorly (for me) identified ports on the 60-year-old amp/pre-amp (Leak Varislope Stereo preamp and Leak Stereo 60 tube power amp).

First platter to test? Something that's I've not played since putting the turntable in storage in the mid-80s.

Now "the computer room" is "the music room".

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #5929 on: September 01, 2019, 06:34:15 PM »
Ooo.
RCA Red Seal.
 8)
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison
"If you pour some music on whatever is wrong, it’ll sure help out” - Levon Helm

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #5930 on: September 02, 2019, 08:38:35 AM »
Ooo.
RCA Red Seal.
 8)

I rolled heavy back in the day. ;)

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #5931 on: September 02, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »
Painted the kitchen ,now I will go down and see what damage last nights flooding did to my bottom yard. It never just rains any more , its always torrential downpours with insane wind and lightning.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #5932 on: September 02, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »
Someone asked for some picks of the finished The Shop. Here ya go.

http://www.fjr-tips.org/misc/pics/shop/shop.html

Offline thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #5933 on: September 02, 2019, 01:09:30 PM »
Laundry.  8)
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #5934 on: September 02, 2019, 01:18:44 PM »

Yeah but does a battleship like the FJR fit in there?
i eats paste

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #5935 on: September 02, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »
Went to the cottage for the weekend. Ate junk food and played Monopoly. I was the first loser. Then today we missed the ferry by 20 seconds as the car that pulled out of the last street was the last car to make it on board. We had to wait an hour for the next one. Then a 4 hour drive home.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #5936 on: September 03, 2019, 08:54:23 AM »

It could fit through the door with the bags off. It wasn't designed for that though since I have no intention of trying to ride the bike around the house on the soft ground and through a narrow gate.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #5937 on: September 03, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
Nice job.  That'll last you a lifetime & then some.  Better built than many new construction houses.
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #5938 on: September 03, 2019, 08:15:30 PM »

It could fit through the door with the bags off. It wasn't designed for that though since I have no intention of trying to ride the bike around the house on the soft ground and through a narrow gate.

Oh, ok. I thought it was like a workshop for the bike. Sorry.
i eats paste

• Contributor
  • Cookie's bitch
« Reply #5939 on: September 03, 2019, 09:01:03 PM »
Yesterday, watched a trailer go bye-bye.

And saw a literal road apple.

Today, watched this sign blink at me for 45 minutes, before arriving at work almost an hour late. I hate having a corporate job again.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
« Reply #5940 on: September 04, 2019, 04:09:02 AM »
Drove to Woburn to take advantage of a lot of police trade in Glocks. Glocks are a very dangerous and forbidden evil in the Commonwealth so we are limited to anything that has been in the state prior to the '98 law.

https://www.lexingtonma.gov/sites/lexingtonma/files/uploads/firearmslicenseapplicationprocedure.pdf

I picked up a G-17 for what may seem to pretty much anyone outside this Draconian territory as very expensive ($399.00)

It's a Gen 2 in excellent shape.

On the way home though, I did experience some Moto related content however....

Just looking I swear.
i eats paste

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #5941 on: September 06, 2019, 12:12:29 PM »
Damn you, cookie!  I'd been idly considering one of them, but need to talk with an owner or three first. 

My day has gone well so far.  One vacant bedroom now fully emptied and ready for repurposing or moving out.  Closet stuffed into contractor bags, mattress/box springs tossed in garage for pickup day.  Kid's desk dismantled un-gently and also ready for garbage collection.  Maybe tomorrow, I do another of the three due purging. 

:gdog:

All the kids were notified if they wanted anything left here to come get it a couple months ago.   ;D   Oh, well.
--Tom

Online stevent

« Reply #5942 on: September 08, 2019, 02:03:01 PM »
Spent the morning farting around trying to clear a "Microsoft Security Alert" virus from the computer. seems to work now.

A curse on fuckin' asshole computer hackers. I hope they choke on their own rancid vomit, pricks.

:pope:

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
« Reply #5943 on: September 08, 2019, 04:08:54 PM »
I spent 3 hours moving boulders around my daughter’s place. Kubota tractors rock.

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5944 on: September 09, 2019, 06:49:33 PM »
Went to our little towns last cruise night of the season. Saw two mint Nash Metropolitan. The two tone was completely stock. The black convertible was tubbed with a 327 under the hood. Amazing job.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #5945 on: September 09, 2019, 08:07:49 PM »
Unlike modern vehicles, it seems those older models all came with unique personalities.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #5946 on: September 10, 2019, 08:10:41 AM »
Went to our little towns last cruise night of the season. Saw two mint Nash Metropolitan.

The car driven by Lois Lane (Phyllis Coates and Noel Neill) in The Adventures of Superman!

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
« Reply #5947 on: September 10, 2019, 10:18:07 AM »
Growing up our neighbor had one- he had a two-stall garage with a pole between the two doors- he parked the Nash behind the pole between the other cars.
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #5948 on: September 11, 2019, 06:16:08 PM »
Rotated car tires, new wiper blades then did moto related,rode for about 90 min.
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5949 on: September 11, 2019, 08:49:44 PM »
Growing up our neighbor had one- he had a two-stall garage with a pole between the two doors- he parked the Nash behind the pole between the other cars.

I thought both cars were beautiful. What blew me away was the custom. We were walking into town and saw and heard the 327 pulling in. Looking at it the body lines are totally stock. Visually the only give away is the tires look a little bit larger from the side. Until you looked from behind. The whole rear view was all tire. Amazing workmanship to stuff that much motor, rearend and tire into that little package and keep the factory body lines.  :hail: