Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do today Non moto  (Read 392887 times)

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300
Re: What did you do today Non moto
« Reply #5130 on: October 01, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »
Already in place when we moved in.  The local nursery will provide as needed, but 3 ton minimum at $85/ton plus $50 delivery fee.  I need a ton, but 3 is overkill.
--Tom

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #5131 on: October 04, 2018, 11:54:27 AM »
Just got back last night from a surprise trip to Puerto Rico. The wife has been working down there (5 trips so far over the last 4 months), and this time they waited until the last second to want to retain her for a full 2 week stint. Her condition to agree was that they spring for a ticket for hubby to join her for a long weekend and they bit on it!

Flew out last Friday from Denver-Houston-San Juan, then jumped in her cutesy-wootsy red convertible rental and headed out for the West end of the island, an area called Rincon. Known for surf, sun and a 'slower pace'.

Pic of the little Mustang that could because I feel almost bad for this poor car... it was definitely not the best vehicle for the roads in Puerto Rico, and although it was fun, it's likely never to be the same after some of the places we took it. I foresee a short lifespan and an  ignoble end.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Rincon was very nice. Beautiful views, nice beaches, picturesque area. Did some minimal hiking through the jungle, hiked a few miles of beach coastline and in general melted in the humidity. I'll spare you pics of that and instead offer up some more cutesy stuff to include lighthouses, surf and my new buddy that we met. I'm not sure my cats would have adjusted if I'd brought him home in my luggage...

After a weekend of this kind of torture, the Mrs. and I headed back to San Juan via the southern island route. Good seafood, and the roads weren't horrible, just mildly third-worldish. The interstate equivalent had few shoulders, and the greenery was obviously encroaching right up to the driving surface, even in the best parts. But plus side was that in general drivers and gendarmes DGAF if you went motored along your merry way. Weirdest thing is that every cop always leaves their strobes on at all times, not just when actively on a call. Makes it tough to tell if your being ganked by the man until he passes you.

Monday my wife had to work as usual (keeping up pretenses that she's there for a reason, not just to goof off). So I rose early as usual and trotted off to Old San Juan for touristy sightseeing. Trooped through El Morrow, the Nat Park that was once the fortress built by Spain to protect the deep water bay that made Puerto Rico so important to maritime navigation. Lots to see there, and very minimal people underfoot! Turns out there's a reason... I got out at the crack of early while it was still marginally cool, but the whole touristy area doesn't come alive until 10-1030 (by which time I'm it's hot, I'm sweaty and I wanted to go find AC). But it was a nice hike down through the fortress, then up to the top, thendown to the seawall (on the outside) and back again. Definitely got my step counter revving. Other than tired feets, it's amazing what sea-level O2 will do for an altitude dweller. We generally hike around here at 8-14000ft, this was literally at zero, plus or minus... too much energy for my own good.

Tuesday was more of the same, but I spent more time wandering the streets of Old San Juan instead of just the Nat Park facilities. Place is still rolled up until it's too hot for me to think straight, so I was able to capture some good pics without crowd issues.

Needless to say, there was more pics, but this is pushing the bounds of good taste already...

MOTO CONTENT- There were SOME bikes in San Juan, but the by-far greatest presence was the motor cops. Harleys and metric cruisers (Honda Shadows). Saw some sport riders, but honestly, who the hell could ride a Hayabusa in that $#it-show? Talking to locals, it seems that bikes aren't widely used for transport, but are toys that most riders use for weekend poker-run type activities. I'm shocked. Other than some MINIMAL Mad Max commuting, I didn't see many bikes in use. I will say, if I spent time there, I could see running a small adventure bike, dual sport or maybe supermoto, but that's it. Something with suspension.

All told, a worthwhile getaway. Never any real issues with language barriers, and the folks were very friendly. Talking closer with a few of them, they were very clear that the best thing that US residents can do to help the hurricane recovery efforts is bypass the standard 'charity' channels that suck dollars into the government pockets and come, be tourists and SPEND. They were very honest with us that they knew recovery dollars weren't routing well, and the best way was for Americans to visit and open your wallet to have a good time. It puts those dollars where they do good, in the economy.  Big points for honesty in my book!

LT

Great googly-moogly!

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #5132 on: October 04, 2018, 03:52:21 PM »
Awesome LT, really enjoyed reading your mini-vacation report.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us.  :bigok:

Edit:
Thought about cutting the grass but it started to rain while I was thinking about it. 

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:53:02 PM by st2sam »
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #5133 on: October 05, 2018, 10:09:34 AM »
Accepted a part time position with Lowes right down the street.   :crazy:   Winter boredom potential eliminated.
--Tom

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #5134 on: October 06, 2018, 10:41:19 AM »
Prepping next eye.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #5135 on: October 06, 2018, 11:58:01 AM »
Tossed together some pierogi dough, got the sourkraut cooking on the stove while the dough rests in the fridge.  It's going to be Polish theme at the table tonight.  Also have some ring bologna and fresh onions to go with the fried heaven. 

:drif:
--Tom

Offline BuckeyeRider

• Not all who wander are lost.
  • Motorcycles: A Little 'Un
« Reply #5136 on: October 06, 2018, 04:52:58 PM »
Visited the Trinity Test site in New Mexico. I'm here in New Mexico through October and turns out the 1st Saturday in October is one of only two days a year you can visit the site of the first atomic bomb explosion.

Even held some Trinitite in my hand (midly radioactive glass formed from the blast melting the sand). The stuff is still lying around in little bits and pieces.

Not really much to see there, but I thought it was cool as hell....

Online CLAY

• How did I become a moderator?
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #5137 on: October 06, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »
Visited the Trinity Test site in New Mexico. I'm here in New Mexico through October and turns out the 1st Saturday in October is one of only two days a year you can visit the site of the first atomic bomb explosion.

Even held some Trinitite in my hand (midly radioactive glass formed from the blast melting the sand). The stuff is still lying around in little bits and pieces.

That sounds way cool.  I often envy your roaming lifestyle. 

LT- your mini-vaca looked like a blast!

In preparation for winter I removed the standard bucket on my loader and built a frame to hold two halves of a 55 gallon barrel.  I made something like this for my 425 but with a standard front blade- the beauty of using the barrel halves for clearing snow is that you get a wide, clean scrape down to the pavement without marking it up- and new blaes are cheap.  :bigok:  That said I get about 6 years out of a barrel- 3 on one side, then I flip it and use the other side.  On grass you just drag it backwards and it doesn't tear up the turf.  It will be interesting to use one on a loader.

"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho

Online I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #5138 on: October 06, 2018, 11:37:54 PM »
The house has a water softener. I haven't had any experience with water softeners and the last time I was in a house with one was in San Diego when I was a kid.

We originally had the smaller biscuit looking salt tablets about the size of a hard candy. Our last purchase we mistakenly grabbed rock salt. Sure it works too, no argument there. Three bags in like last time and we're on our way.

After a couple of weeks, we were getting mineral deposits on the shower walls and the silverware in the dishwasher had a film. I checked the device and it looked okay. Still though. So I put a piece of tape where the line was. It has a counter and shows about how long the salt should last at specific marked levels on the cylinder.

After a week, no movement.

So yesterday I got four bags of the biscuit looking salt tablets and today I snagged a couple of trash cans from the garage and with a scoop, started clearing out the rock salt.

Now this morning I told Jeanne that what I think happened is there was so much rock salt that it compressed and now there's a rock salt cave at the bottom of the device.

About 3/4's of the way down it started getting hard to scoop. I snagged a long screwdriver and started breaking up the hardened salt and sure enough, I broke through to the cave. I could hear water running down below in the opening so I carefully hacked the salt down off the walls and broken up the big chunks, all into the water.

Finally I scooped 3 or 4 big scoops back into the device. I'll keep an eye on it and as the rock salt is used, I'll add a few more scoops until it's all gone. Then back to the biscuits.

Note that there really isn't much of a difference between rock salt and the biscuits. I could probably put a bag of rock salt into the device without much trouble and certainly three bags of the biscuits which I've done in the past.

Friday I also stopped by and picked up another UPS for my servers. I had two lighter weight ones and the servers were not quite holding up to a short power interruption. Not healthy for the servers. I pulled my APC 1500 I had for my desktop and the second APC 1500 and put them on the servers and associated devices, then took the two lighter weight 750's and put the desktop on one and the main monitor on the second one.

Next year or the year after, we'll be investing in a power generator so the gear and house will stay up for about a week vs 30 minutes or so.

Carl
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #5139 on: October 07, 2018, 08:32:47 AM »

And there's strict restrictions on trying to take keepsakes.

We have a whole-house softener and have been running it and it's predecessor for years.

We use the Diamond Crystal pellets (Bright & Clear) from Home Depot. With a bag of "Red Out"  every other top off.

Also, on a 2-tank system, we replace the resin tank every 7 years. We back flush monthly.

https://www.diamondcrystalsalt.com/how-does-a-water-softener-work

https://www.diamondcrystalsalt.com/water-softener-salt

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #5140 on: October 08, 2018, 08:15:13 AM »
That. That is freaking awesome. Well done, man! I love that.

That sounds way cool.  I often envy your roaming lifestyle. 

LT- your mini-vaca looked like a blast!

In preparation for winter I removed the standard bucket on my loader and built a frame to hold two halves of a 55 gallon barrel.  I made something like this for my 425 but with a standard front blade- the beauty of using the barrel halves for clearing snow is that you get a wide, clean scrape down to the pavement without marking it up- and new blaes are cheap.  :bigok:  That said I get about 6 years out of a barrel- 3 on one side, then I flip it and use the other side.  On grass you just drag it backwards and it doesn't tear up the turf.  It will be interesting to use one on a loader.

this signature on hold pending review

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
« Reply #5141 on: October 08, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »
Forecast for today - Cloudy early with peeks of sunshine expected late. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 81F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

It's freaking pouring out.  Spent my first couple cups of coffee putting all my car camping gear away and removing the bag awning from the van for the winter. All the hand tools are back in their tool box slots, the shop rags are in the washer and I'm having another cuppa watching the rain cascade. I need to finish tearing this deck up and get the dumpster bag gone before the HOA starts screaming.
--Tom

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #5142 on: October 08, 2018, 11:27:28 AM »
3 day weekend glamping in WV at a lovely little National Forest campground w/ no signal.  There was a stream for the boy to play in.  He learned how to swim proper.  I read a book.  Kim read a book.  Good stuff. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.
« Reply #5143 on: October 08, 2018, 06:31:08 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving Day Canada.
Cooked TGD feast for twelve.
Served six, and two screamin' infants.
Consumed mass quantities of the difference.
Sleepy time now...
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

Offline BuckeyeRider

• Not all who wander are lost.
  • Motorcycles: A Little 'Un
« Reply #5144 on: October 09, 2018, 10:33:31 AM »
My parents flew into El Paso to spend some time with me in New Mexico. I already mentioned that we went to the Trinity Site on Saturday.

Sunday we went to Silver City. We took the mountain route there and my dad (69) insisted on driving. I was a nervous wreck the whole way. I've been noticing a definite decline in his reaction times and driving skills, but it was never more noticeable than winding through those mountains. Told him I wasn't going back that way unless he handed me the keys, he refused so I made him take the long (flat) way around to get back. Silver City has a cool, hippy sort of feel to it, but it definitely wasn't worth the drive over.... I also wanted to see the Gila Cave Dwellings, but I'd had enough of dad driving through the mountains.

Monday we went to White Sands National Monument. I had already stopped there on my way over, but they had never been and frankly I wanted to see it again anyway. If you haven't seen the white dunes there, go. It's amazing and almost impossible to capture in either words or pictures. If you're just driving by it doesn't look all that impressive, you have to drive all the way back in (past where the paved road ends) to see it in all its glory. Bonus, it was free to get in because of the holiday (but, see below).

We stopped at the White Sands Missile base on the way back to see if we could visit the museum, but it was closed for Columbus Day. Oh well, I got to glimpse the "Missile Garden" where they have a model of all the various rockets tested there. Didn't stop to take a picture of it though, the guards didn't look like they'd be too happy about that.