Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's the bar serving tonight?  (Read 291385 times)

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Re: What's the bar serving tonight?
« Reply #2150 on: March 30, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »
My lovely wonderful bestest wife in the world got me the following for my Birthday.  I'm now home from running errands and enjoying Moto2 qualifying so I thought I'd pour a sample of it.  It's a very traditional Bourbon (fruit, oak, leather).   It's very smooth.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:11:52 PM by R Doug »
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #2151 on: March 30, 2019, 05:01:47 PM »
Happy Birthday Doug!
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #2152 on: April 26, 2019, 10:11:31 PM »
Slaughterhouse AMerican WHiskey.  California made- er blended.  One of my fellwo teachers is friends with the controller and gets it cheap.  I'm pretty sure it's not made by them, but a blend made by someone else then aged int heir barrels.  Decent enough.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #2153 on: April 26, 2019, 10:47:32 PM »
Slaughterhouse AMerican WHiskey.  California made- er blended.  One of my fellwo teachers is friends with the controller and gets it cheap.  I'm pretty sure it's not made by them, but a blend made by someone else then aged int heir barrels.  Decent enough.

Yes. Very decent enough.
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #2154 on: May 04, 2019, 11:41:09 AM »
 ???
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2155 on: May 04, 2019, 02:02:22 PM »
???

A bit of an identity crisis? Is it a Bock or a Stout? Either way, it looks tasty!

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #2156 on: June 15, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »
South African coffee liquor.  Better with a splash of Pinnacle Whipped vodka to take the edge off.
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #2157 on: June 16, 2019, 08:49:15 PM »
Diet coke and Fireball
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #2158 on: June 16, 2019, 09:53:41 PM »
Crown Royal - Salted Caramel
Heck it's fathers day, but Just a small glass as it is Sunday
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #2159 on: June 17, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »
I tried a bottle of Plungerhead Zinfandel from Napa Valley. Pretty tasty, I'll add it to my usual rotation of 7 Deadly Zin's and Zin-phomaniac.

"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #2160 on: June 20, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »
I've been experimenting with the odd bottle or two because some were low enough that I may as well drink them rather than move them to the new place.

So, I've been working on two aquavit recipes.  Both work well in rocks glasses, but could be better up in a cocktail glass.

This one might be a great winter or fall drink:

2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz aquavit
1/2 oz dry vermouth
angostura or whisky barrel bitters
olives for garnish

The bourbon adds just enough sweetness to balance the aquavit.  I think that rye, scotch and Irish would be too dry and Canadian too mild.  Sweet vermouth may also work well in this drink instead of dry.

And this drink could be an alternative to a martini in summer:

2 oz gin
3/4 oz aquavit
1/2 oz dry vermouth
orange bitters
orange slice squeezed into the drink and the peel dropped in for garnish

This drink needs the orange for balance, but one could use Cointreau or triple sec instead or in addition to the orange.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #2161 on: June 20, 2019, 11:56:07 AM »
I've been experimenting with the odd bottle or two

As a scientist, I approve of this!  Is it double blind?  What's your control group?
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #2162 on: June 20, 2019, 04:14:27 PM »
I've been experimenting with the odd bottle or two

As a scientist, I approve of this!  Is it double blind?  What's your control group?

The initial control group is my wife, who was a bartender in her misspent youth. She can usually figure out the ingredients without any hints whatsoever.  Once a drink has been worked out over many nights of trial and error, we will spread it around with friends and family. But our methodology is far from scientific as we frequently describe the drink for people who we know like similar drinks.  And some seem not to have forgiven me for trying to introduce them to Campari and Fernet Branca (mind you, not in the same drink!). But I have converted many to the simple joys of bourbon.

We have, however, done blind tastings of wines, gins, vodkas, or bourbons at get togethers.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #2163 on: June 20, 2019, 08:26:47 PM »
I've been experimenting with the odd bottle or two because some were low enough that I may as well drink them rather than move them to the new place.

So, I've been working on two aquavit recipes.  Both work well in rocks glasses, but could be better up in a cocktail glass.

This one might be a great winter or fall drink:

2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz aquavit
1/2 oz dry vermouth
angostura or whisky barrel bitters
olives for garnish

The bourbon adds just enough sweetness to balance the aquavit.  I think that rye, scotch and Irish would be too dry and Canadian too mild.  Sweet vermouth may also work well in this drink instead of dry.

And this drink could be an alternative to a martini in summer:

2 oz gin
3/4 oz aquavit
1/2 oz dry vermouth
orange bitters
orange slice squeezed into the drink and the peel dropped in for garnish

This drink needs the orange for balance, but one could use Cointreau or triple sec instead or in addition to the orange.

Tonight, I remade the bourbon version up in a cocktail glass instead of on the rocks.  Shaken, the color is a bit muddy with air bubbles at first, but it settles into a pleasant light golden amber tone.  However it's a bit more dry than I think most people would prefer.  So I made it again with sweet vermouth instead of dry.  I think that substituting sweet vermouth for the dry would be more pleasing to the palate of anyone who enjoys a Perfect Bourbon Manhattan.

Since we have drinking engagements both Friday and Saturday, I'll work on the gin version on Sunday.  Perhaps sweet vermouth would be a good choice instead of dry vermouth as well.  But perhaps Cointreau would be an even better substitution for the dry vermouth. Gin just seems to work with the flavor of oranges.

I suppose I should mention that my palate is more dry and bitter than average.  I like Campari, and I like dry martinis.  So my initial take on a new recipe is typically in that direction.

Once the recipes are finalized, I'll have to work on some names.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:38:28 PM by Baxter »

Offline stevent

« Reply #2164 on: June 21, 2019, 09:05:06 AM »
The best summertime go-to I've found is Bombay Sapphire, 100% organic cranberry juice and Perrier over ice. It's a little tart but the Perrier gives it effervescence without the HFCS in tonic water.

Rinse and repeat as needed.....
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #2165 on: June 21, 2019, 09:26:12 PM »
I gotta try that.  I like tart.

For me:  Several beers of various styles, a gin and tonic, and a negroni.  It was a busy afternoon. 
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline stevent

« Reply #2166 on: June 22, 2019, 06:40:55 PM »
A couple of tinnies of Guinness for now after mowing the grass

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #2167 on: June 22, 2019, 09:59:28 PM »
I try to support the MI beer market but went out of state for tonight. Victory Golden Monkey belgian tripple.  :drool:

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #2168 on: June 23, 2019, 08:09:33 AM »
We were out last night, and my wife had a lemon drop, which got me in a creative mood with Limoncello.  My first try had too much limoncello, but my second was well balanced:

Shake and serve in a chilled cocktail glass:

2 oz gin
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/4 oz limoncello
Lemon peel for garnish.

This would make a good summer choice when you're in the mood for something with more flavor than a martini, but don't want to go to a heavily flavored fall or winter drink.

The owner of this particular restaurant once brought in Campari just for us, so I'm returning the favor by helping drink down some bottles that just aren't selling, like Benedictine.  I've substituted Benedictine for sweet vermouth in a Perfect Bourbon Manhattan, for example.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:19:57 AM by Baxter »

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #2169 on: June 23, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »
It's a beautiful windless morning, but both my Little Red Ninja and Little Red Bicycle are 800 miles away at the new condo.  I could be doing some yardwork for whoever the new owner of the old house will be, but the wind is so light that the skeeters are out.  So I'll sit inside with the computer instead.

Getting back on topic, I thought I'd explain the bar setup at the new condo.  There's a hallway between the kitchen and front entry hall with a wet bar on one side and the laundry machines on the other. We call it the Laundry Bar, and have stocked it with a variety of glassware, the most frequently used bottles, and will put an ice bucket and mixers on the counter for parties. We'll also have room for pitchers of margs, mojitos, etc., on the W & D. This space is positioned for circulation between the kitchen & great room, so it'll work out well.

The finished basement has a wet bar that's almost a small kitchen.  It's stocked with a lot of glassware, the infrequently used bottles, and backups for all the staples in the Laundry Bar.  There's room for our full sized Beer Fridge, and I can run a water line for the icemaker easy peasy.  With two full sized fridges making ice--this and the kitchen--we will probably have enough for most parties.  We'll keep a variety of beers, mixers,  and also some pops for the kiddos in the Beer Fridge (it's fun to have sugary caffeinated pops available without supervision and then send the kids home with their parents at the end of a long evening).  There's also a wall where our wine rack can easily fit.  A big TV and loungey furniture will make this football central.

We also have somehow accumulated two dorm sized fridges, each has two shelves that will accommodate beer & pop bottles.  One will become the Backup Beer Fridge, and hold a variety of beers and mixers in the garage--it's just a few steps from the Laundry Bar, so this will work well.  The other will be the Emergency Beer Stash in the storage room.  This will require some thought as we will stock it with a few each of our most frequent visitors' favorites in case we run out elsewhere, and we will have to remember to rotate the stock so nothing goes skunky.  I already know that it will be holding a few Miller Lites, some Crispins, and Leinenkugel Grapefruit Shandys for the outlaws.  And I think some of our new friends like Killian's Red.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #2170 on: June 26, 2019, 03:42:57 PM »
We tried rejiggering (couldn't help myself) the aquavit and gin drink above by using Cointreau instead of sweet vermouth.  Nah, not so good.  Maybe triple sec?

So instead, I went simple, but it's more of a fall or winter drink:

2 oz aquavit
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
dash angostura bitters
olives

Tasty, but definitely tasting like a fall drink.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #2171 on: June 27, 2019, 05:29:12 AM »
Some Gold Medal local stuff:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison
"If you pour some music on whatever is wrong, it’ll sure help out” - Levon Helm

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #2172 on: June 27, 2019, 10:38:22 PM »
tonight is home whiskey

Light hint of corn, but f-ing strong☠☠☠
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline stevent

« Reply #2173 on: June 28, 2019, 06:52:14 PM »
tonight is home whiskey

Light hint of corn, but f-ing strong☠☠☠

That stuff'll make you grow tits gadammit

:gerg:

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #2174 on: June 28, 2019, 07:29:56 PM »
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #2175 on: July 18, 2019, 11:39:54 AM »
Large beer

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #2176 on: July 18, 2019, 01:38:15 PM »
Large beer

Is it just a large beer or a large lager beer?

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #2177 on: July 18, 2019, 03:06:47 PM »
It was one Liter of King König Hell (or bright) lager.  Wasn’t what you would call a “Lite” beer.  Like the guy sitting at the next table - he had one too - said, “It’s  a lot of work”, but I was up to the task.

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #2178 on: July 18, 2019, 03:55:16 PM »
I just got a chuckle out of the Large / Lager reference. Back in my boating day's, Labatt Blue was my go to beer. After having several too many my buddy has a confused look on his face looking at the can. "why do they say it is a Larger beer from Cananda when it is no bigger than the other beers".  Thats "A Lager beer from Canada you idiot"  :facepalm:   I bought some recently and it no longer says that, it now says pilsner.  :shrug:

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #2179 on: July 18, 2019, 04:33:08 PM »
Pilsner is a lager.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #2180 on: July 18, 2019, 06:43:39 PM »
Pilsner is a lager.

I am aware of that. I was just questioning the labeling change.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #2181 on: July 19, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
We've been drinking down our bar over the past couple of weeks pending the move.  Killed the aquavit a while back, so no new experiments with it until we're at the new place.  We only have 4 bottles of wine left, I'm out of sweet vermouth, and have about 1 drink's worth of bourbon.  A beer every lunch should clear us out of that commodity before we evacuate the Olde Heap.  But I don't think that hitting the gin and dry vermouth to clear up those bottles (and the last of the olives) will be good for my liver, at least not given the amount of gin left in the bottle and the time remaining before the move.

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #2182 on: July 19, 2019, 02:30:34 PM »
Fat Tire Amber ale for this nice toasty day
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Offline stevent

« Reply #2183 on: August 06, 2019, 12:14:18 PM »
I prefer Stouts or Porters myself, though a decent amber ale is nice now and then. I'm more of a wino now since I swore off hard alcohol.

Tonight and last night I'm enjoying a crisp fresh gallon of GAVILYTE-C a delicious blend of PEG 3350 and electrolytes, chilled and served over ice. Invigorating and sure to get you up and moving....

:willy:

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #2184 on: August 07, 2019, 01:47:01 AM »
I’ve been drinking all the Aperol Spritzes in Austria.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #2185 on: August 07, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »
After that afternoon in the car, and driving almost 2 hours to go 24 miles, and much of that in a foot of water thanks to so much flash flooding, I treated myself to a couple of margaritas at the nice little mexican place right up the street from the house.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #2186 on: August 07, 2019, 07:51:27 PM »
Took the day off to go for a ride with my bride.  160 miles of mostly forest service/gravel roads. Stopped at lost cabin beer co.  For a juicy Bruce or two.   
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #2187 on: October 17, 2019, 09:18:06 PM »
One of my bro-in-laws works for Miller, and he also knows that I like Negronis.  So he sent me this link to the Hobo Negroni, which is a Miller High Life with about an ounce of Campari.  It's really good.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/drink/sc-food-spaghett-beer-campari-drink-0913-20190917-zddfvdtdcnf5lmtrmezvhflwue-story.html

Edit:  I think the following comment was from Clay (something about "last edit by Clay" was written underneath), but it somehow wound up in this box:

I should try that.  I had a negroni tonight.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:03:08 AM by Baxter »

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #2188 on: November 22, 2019, 07:54:14 PM »
Green tea with honey and St. Elder.  I think the honey could have been left out completely, honestly.  I'd try another without it, but I ran out of St. Elder with the first mug. :'(

My Other Hobby

Offline mr.awesome

« Reply #2189 on: December 14, 2019, 03:04:22 PM »
Bells pays homage to Nigel Tufnel.  8)  "This one goes to 11". Imperial red IPA. Mighty tasty. At 11%, after a couple of these I may have to watch spinal tap again for a good laugh.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #2190 on: December 14, 2019, 09:34:31 PM »
Barely anything, any more. I've been on something of a cleanse of late; very little alcohol, cleaner eating, way more veggies and water... ** shrug ** Just kind of fell into it. Nothing conscious. I had a 1/2 an IPA with dinner this afternoon, and it was plenty. Had a work outing the other night, and they had Mad Elf on tap, and again, snagged a glass, put down about 1/2 of it. I can't remember the last time before that I had anything heavy or particularly volumous to drink, though I do enjoy a light, crisp gin martini from time to time. Goodness, I've gone soft. :D

Looking like I have another surgery coming up in the near-enough future (ankle fusion), so not having to give the doc anything to worry about with pain pills and drinking interacting is nice, I guess.
this signature on hold pending review

Online M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #2191 on: December 14, 2019, 10:03:36 PM »
Dogfish Head Liquid Truth Serum IPA

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #2192 on: December 15, 2019, 02:48:25 PM »
Deschutes Obsidian Stout.  I like it as much as Guinness.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #2193 on: December 20, 2019, 09:15:08 PM »
I opened a bottle of Seven Deadly Zins to celebrate the end of cookie baking. Mrs. Baxter made cookies all day, so I cooked up some Italian sausages, mac-n-cheese with some Cajun seasoning, and some corn. Dinner with wine by the fireplace.

We now have chocolate brownie/chocolate chip ooy-gooy cookies, lemon frosted sugar cookies, chocolate wafer sandwich cookies (homemade Oreos), and almond-butter-sugar frosted cookies.  We're ready for the onslaught!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #2194 on: January 13, 2020, 01:05:21 AM »
Newfallen snow called for icy-cold Martinis by the fireplace for the humans, and Greenie treats for the doggo.

Bombay Sapphire in a 6-1 ratio with dry vermouth, shaken and served up with olives. I prefer to use a midcentury Boston shaker set that was a wedding gift to my parents, but we recently replaced the original Hawthorn strainer with a new OXO brand Hawthorn due to rust.  If the new lasts as long as the old, here's to another 62 years of cocktails!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:16:51 AM by Baxter »

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #2195 on: January 13, 2020, 10:37:14 AM »
A couple PBR's at the local ski hill.. high class stuff I tell ya...
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Somebody changed my profile!!!!!!
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
« Reply #2196 on: January 13, 2020, 11:03:06 AM »
I have Alka Seltzer cold.
Tacos are life.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #2197 on: January 13, 2020, 01:09:32 PM »
I have Alka Seltzer cold.

What do you mix that with?