Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sena 20S  (Read 8934 times)

Offline RBEmerson

• Motorcycles: "Habu", black '17 Yamaha FJR 1300ES, '03 BMW K1200RS (RIP)
Sena 20S
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »
Sena's announced the update to the SMH-10: the 20S.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with Sena Technologies save as a customer.
Are you part of the solution or part of the precipitate?

Offline marc11

Re: Sena 20S
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
Wow nice features.  Really like the ability to pair multiple phones.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »
I may as well be honest and accept that I'm going to end up buying one at some point…   ;D
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Offline marc11

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:17:07 AM »
I may as well be honest and accept that I'm going to end up buying one at some point…   ;D

You and I both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline three west

• Motorcycles: 07 K1200GT
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 05:38:10 PM »

me too. 
I didn't bother with the trade-in when they offered the upgrade to the micro-usb, but I love that little do-dad.
I'll be watching for pricing once its available.

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:09:02 PM »
I still have an original.  And an upgraded one.  I should see if they would still honor the upgrade?

Regardless, I still know I'm going to get a 20s.  Don't really NEED it…but damned if I don't want to support Sena for doing the whole communicator and service aspect right.
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »
You can get an updated unit, but it won't be free. IMHO, unless you need the 20S features, I'd stick with the SMH-10.

One very useful feature is in the pipeline: support for side tone. That means you can hear yourself talk on the phone or intercom (this is standard practice with any telephone). The real winner, if Sena listens to user comments, will be the ability to, for example, talk with a toll taker or gas station attendant without taking off you helmet to hear them. And all of this will be done with a firmware update for the SMH-10.

Offline Squareman357

• ZX-14 Warg rider...
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki ZX-14
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 09:26:15 AM »
Ooooooooh shiny!  I will probably end up with one myself...might sell my SMH10...or give it to a friend.  We'll see.

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 07:56:56 AM »
We went with the UClear 200.  I like the boomless design and it sounded by far the clearest.  We love it.  She'll take calls on the bike and they don't even know we are out riding, all the while I'm listening to my music. 
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline stray cat

• Motorcycles: Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »
....The real winner, if Sena listens to user comments, will be the ability to, for example, talk with a toll taker or gas station attendant without taking off you helmet to hear them.

What are these mythical creatures of which you speak?

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
Indeed. 

Solutions looking for a problem.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 05:24:22 PM »
....The real winner, if Sena listens to user comments, will be the ability to, for example, talk with a toll taker or gas station attendant without taking off you helmet to hear them.

Well, as an example, unless you use EZ-Pass on the PA Turnpike, you hand your ticket and money to a real live person. In Oregon and New Jersey, customers can't pump their own gas. Since I just happen to live in PA (but have EZ-Pass, but not on loaner bikes) and am fairly near New Jersey, this isn't quite a solution in search of problem.

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »

Well, as an example, unless you use EZ-Pass on the PA Turnpike, you hand your ticket and money to a real live person. In Oregon and New Jersey, customers can't pump their own gas. Since I just happen to live in PA (but have EZ-Pass, but not on loaner bikes) and am fairly near New Jersey, this isn't quite a solution in search of problem.

I hardly ever take my helmet off when I'm riding. I just flip it open! But you're probably referring to those that don't wear modular helmets!
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »
Afraid I don't understand.  How would the Sena hear the toll-taker?  How would the toll-taker hear you?
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »
Um, er... this is a joke, right? [/headscratch]

Think about this scenario: hot mic picks up voice(s) of person(s) not in the helmet. Person in the helmet speaks out loud. Person(s) out of helmet hear(s) person in helmet. Discussion ensues.

OK... maybe you don't know that, in fact, the mic does a very nice job of picking up sound outside of the helmet if the visor's up. I usually ride with a guy on a BMW R1200 RT. It's not uncommon to hear a bit of the noise of a vehicle, coming the opposite way, as it passes his bike. Even at speed, though, it's not a problem.

Offline radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 03:08:54 PM »
Um, er... this is a joke, right? [/headscratch]

Think about this scenario: hot mic picks up voice(s) of person(s) not in the helmet. Person in the helmet speaks out loud. Person(s) out of helmet hear(s) person in helmet. Discussion ensues.

OK... maybe you don't know that, in fact, the mic does a very nice job of picking up sound outside of the helmet if the visor's up. I usually ride with a guy on a BMW R1200 RT. It's not uncommon to hear a bit of the noise of a vehicle, coming the opposite way, as it passes his bike. Even at speed, though, it's not a problem.

That's how I listen to the Sirius Radio on my wife's RT....while I'm on my GS   :P

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 09:51:47 AM »
[/LOL]

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »
Are there any updates on ownership experience on the 20S? They have a 20S EVO coming soon as well with a few more upgrades.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-20s-evo-bluetooth-headset
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »
Interesting.  That's the first I've heard about the 20s EVO.   I've been wanting to update our old SMH10's and was following the 30K's but the release keeps getting pushed back and has gone from Late May, to Late August...to Fall??

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »
Just be aware that you will be a beta tester for any new Sena model.

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
Are there any updates on ownership experience on the 20S? They have a 20S EVO coming soon as well with a few more upgrades.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-20s-evo-bluetooth-headset
I've been using one for at least two years. Listening to music via bluetooth, GPS prompts via bluetooth and occasionally chatting with Smoker when he's within range. I use mostly in ear monitors, and occasionally the provided helmet speakers and ear plugs. The only issue I've had was during this year's spring meet when it would just shut off, while riding in the rain. Turned it back on and it would work just fine. I tried to seal up the gaps with electrical tape and during a slightly damp ride Father's day weekend had no issue. Could be a fluke. For whatever reason, the  in ears seem to provide a better balance than the speakers. Bluetooth connection has worked fine. I can get a full day of riding on a charge.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
Thank you slayman, I appreciate the real world feedback.
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Online kendenton

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 07:23:30 AM »
Been using 20S's for a couple years now.  For solo use, streaming BT audio/routing from the phone, it's terrific.  Paired with Dave's 20S it's terrific - much better range than our previous Scala Q2's.  Excellent sound quality, great battery life.  However add a 3rd Sena to the mix and the problems start.  Just being able to have a 3-way conversation is terrific, but the sound quality takes a huge hit.  Sounds like the 3rd person is popping bubble wrap the whole time.  Lots of discussion on this on Sena forums, no solution.
IBA #37902

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2017, 06:45:49 AM »
For some reason Firmware rev. 1.7.5 has had problems with consistent volume levels. I went back to 1.7.2 (hint: always save downloaded firmware revs) and the problem has faded some, but not entirely. Time to do a full factory reset with 1.7.2 loaded.

On several sites, notably AdvRider, there've been reports of near catastrophic failures. I can only assume these are real problems, but I've seen none of them with my 20S. I even offered to test one of these problem-prone units; the owner, understandably, declined.

Overall, writing Sena customer support (go for Martha, Agent #5!) is productive. After that, Sena Inc. doesn't say anything useful. I don't count announcing new releases (bicycle helmet, H-D beanie) as useful. It's the later that keeps me from being wildly enthusiastic about Sena. OTOH, TomTom proved to be almost equally "tits on a boar hog" when I asked about the video camera (one sale lost). [/ big shrug]

Videos about 20S installations with Alyssa (sp??) are useful. For example, she has some good tricks about mic mounting for open helmets.

Offline cyjo

• Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 09:48:10 PM »
Interesting to see this. This is news for me as well. Revzilla features specifically call out the bad weather improvement. Chances are these are improved hardware and the firmware is most likely the same. I will give it some time but I was thinking of moving from my smh10 to the 20 but was waiting for the release of the 30k in the hopes that prices would drop on the 20. Really I want it for the increased range when traveling with my cousin the couple of times a year we do it. I may still wait on the 30 though. With bluetooth 5.0 out now, it seems only a matter of time before Sena picks up on it.

Offline radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 11:44:46 AM »
I'm with you cyjo.

I really need to update my SMH10.   98% of my useage for the headsets is for music, GPS, and bike-to-bike comms with my wife.   Other times it might be nice to pair up with some other riding buddies...but we've managed so far.

With that said, I'm hit the "notify me when..." button on Revzilla for the 20S Eco.  It's probably a safer bet at the moment than being a hard beta tester for the 30K mesh-network deal.

Offline cyjo

• Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 11:04:09 PM »
Another thing I like about the 20 is the ability to listen to music with the intercom working.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2017, 06:09:10 AM »

With that said, I'm hit the "notify me when..." button on Revzilla for the 20S Eco.  It's probably a safer bet at the moment than being a hard beta tester for the 30K mesh-network deal.

Yup, it seems like the Eco will just be a freshening of the case to get rid of the silly flip-up antennae.

Reading up on the 30k it seems like it will be a bag of hurt for a few years until the end user gets it figured out.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 02:37:46 PM »
Like cyjo, I'm kinda hanging on until the 30k comes out, hoping to pick up a better deal on the 20S Evo. Does anyone know what the release date for the 30k is now? Is it still expected in September?

A man with no sig

Offline radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 02:40:07 PM »
I forgot to update that I did go ahead and get the 20S Evo's.  They're mounted but we haven't had any on road time with them yet.  It's looking like we going to be doing the one thing you  shouldn't.  Learn how to use them on a 4,000 mile trip?!?!?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 02:52:40 PM by radon222 »

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 04:47:16 PM »
I forgot to update that I did go ahead and get the 20S Evo's.  They're mounted but we haven't had any on road time with them yet.  It's looking like we going to be doing the one thing you  shouldn't.  Learn how to use them on a 4,000 mile trip?!?!?

:lol:  Laughing because even though we know we shouldn't do that, we all do.

Have a safe and kickass ride. Looking forward to hearing what you thought about the Evo.
A man with no sig

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 08:53:39 AM »
Just download the manual to your phone.  They are very easy to figure out.

Offline radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
I'm not worried. Just have to figure out the best pairing scenario between Sena, Nav5, and phone.

The goal is for GPS voice and be able to music from MP3 on the Nav5 or stream from my phone at will.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »
Best of luck. The BMW side of things is an effin' PITA. Sena includes an option that's supposed to help. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. My Garmin 660 (functional equivalent and plug compatible) screwed me over too many times during my Alps trip. Even in the States it's been amazingly brainless. I go with Waze 99% of the time.

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 08:54:01 PM »
I'm giving up on Sena. The 20S works as it has to date. Sena needs to update the firmware. Sena now focuses on later models and ignores earlier ones. Sena doesn't talk with their customers. Enough.

What's my Plan B?

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 06:45:39 AM »
Luddism

Offline RBEmerson

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »
I've looked, without much success, for looms to smash.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »
Like cyjo, I'm kinda hanging on until the 30k comes out, hoping to pick up a better deal on the 20S Evo. Does anyone know what the release date for the 30k is now? Is it still expected in September?

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 20s Evo last month at the Long Beach show. Works great with both my now ancient Garmin 550 and my phone -- for calls and music. I still want to play with earbuds for longer trips, but for the commute, the speakers through earplugs have been great. Happy so far.
A man with no sig

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2017, 06:27:47 PM »
Just to verify....you can install in helmet speakers but also use in ear monitors with the standard 20s Evo?

Offline radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »
Yes sir.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »
Yes sir.

:thumbsup:  Standard earphone jack on front of the unit. Did the 20S not have one?
A man with no sig

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2017, 06:50:53 PM »
Beats me.  I still have the SMH10.  However I did just break the charging jack off one of the two I have.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2017, 06:08:36 AM »
Yes sir.

:thumbsup:  Standard earphone jack on front of the unit. Did the 20S not have one?
I believe that is what I have, and i use the headphone jack with my eR-6i's. Great system.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?