Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My new Sport-touring Honda or I've lost my mind?  (Read 14600 times)

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
Re: My new Sport-touring Honda or I've lost my mind?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
You've lost your mind.
You might be right, I bought this bike to slow down, enjoy the ride, and smell the roses.  :facepalm:

Looks comfy. 
It is, but the ride is sport bike firm, almost harsh.
 (IMO to corner as good and FEEL as light as it does, it has to be)

Wow talk about a change!  Great looking bike, best of luck and yeah please post up some impressions.
Thanks Mark.
Yep, a big big change. It took me about a month deciding weather to purchase it. (and lots of research)

Interesting...what is the weight/HP/Tq?
It weighs 750lbs with full tank. (6.1gal.)
Rear wheel -  HP. is 105 and TQ. is 112.

Dude, the GL1800 frame is f'ing phenomenal. Enjoy it. It'll boogie just fine.
Thanks Chris.
Yep, it is and it does.
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 08:11:53 AM »
I like it. I've been waiting to see what people would do about luggage that wasn't the leather stuff Honda's offering for the Valk. So how's the handling?
Congratulations Sam as the Valkyrie looks sharp in person. Looking forward to riding impressions as you become more acquainted :).

I only have 400mi. on it.
Honda claims 42 mpg., and it's got a six gallon tank. I don't think I'll see that kind of mileage, mid 30's maybe, but still decent range.
I'll post impressions when I get more miles on her.

So far it handles better than a bike it's weight should, but I expected that it would, that's why I took the chance and bought it.
Riding on the street it handles and corners fast enough for me.

Yeah, the GL1800 platform carries all that weight down low.  My '01 and '09 Wings handled very well for their size.  I had the latter bike Traxxionized which improved the ride as well.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 09:52:22 AM »
Rear wheel -  HP. is 105 and TQ. is 112.

* fap *
* fap *
* fap *
* fap *
* fap *
this signature on hold pending review

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »
I like it. I've been waiting to see what people would do about luggage that wasn't the leather stuff Honda's offering for the Valk. So how's the handling?
Congratulations Sam as the Valkyrie looks sharp in person. Looking forward to riding impressions as you become more acquainted :).

Honda claims 42 mpg., and it's got a six gallon tank. I don't think I'll see that kind of mileage, mid 30's maybe, but still decent range.

So far it handles better than a bike it's weight should, but I expected that it would, that's why I took the chance and bought it.

Yeah, the GL1800 platform carries all that weight down low.  My '01 and '09 Wings handled very well for their size.  I had the latter bike Traxxionized which improved the ride as well.

It is a fine sporting bike, heavy, but fine.
Ride safe!

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 01:47:39 PM »

Sitting at a light the Goldwing is one heavy pig to hold up but once I let out the clutch all that weight Disappeared.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:55:05 PM by mxvet57 »
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »

Sitting at a light the Goldwing is one heavy pig to hold up but once I let out the clutch all that weight diapered.
Oh my.

I do like the looks if the bike.

Sent from my XT1058

Is he gone yet?

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 03:52:39 PM »

Sitting at a light the Goldwing is one heavy pig to hold up but once I let out the clutch all that weight diapered.

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (breathe) ha ha ha ha ha ha...  :rolf:
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

S-T.o -OH!

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 03:56:06 PM »

Disappeared 

I fixed it.  :twofinger:

Every day is my birthday

Online Cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 04:10:39 PM »
Two late.
Is he gone yet?

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 06:15:19 PM »

Every day is my birthday

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 06:57:10 PM »

Disappeared 

I fixed it.  :twofinger:

That's good. I was beginning to think it was a Brit or Harley bike. Did you use gum or bathtub sealer to fix it?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 07:30:04 AM »
That's a bit of a surprise with you getting a big cruiser.  And it's not a Diavel either.  Have fun with it, Sam!

I used to tour on my dad's Valkyrie back in 96-97 and it was plenty capable, with good pep.  I did find it to be pretty heavy when it came time to panic stop - maybe more a fault of my own than the brakes - but that's how we landed in a ditch and me with a broken hand. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Cookie

• Contributor
Is he gone yet?

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »
That's a bit of a surprise with you getting a big cruiser.  And it's not a Diavel either.  Have fun with it, Sam!
I used to tour on my dad's Valkyrie back in 96-97 and it was plenty capable, with good pep.  I did find it to be pretty heavy when it came time to panic stop - maybe more a fault of my own than the brakes - but that's how we landed in a ditch and me with a broken hand.

Thanks Alex I'll try.

The new Valkyrie is w a y different than the old. Yes it's heavy, but the brakes are as good (if not better) as the C14's were, very power full. The larger motor, runs on regular gas, single sided swing arm, aluminum frame, 19in. front, etc..

If it went on a diet and lost 250lb. it would be a great sport bike.  :lol:

She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider