Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Type II Diabetes - My Story  (Read 938 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Type II Diabetes - My Story
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:45:40 PM »
As alluded to in this thread - http://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=6236.0, I asked for a reason. 

June 28th I had a Dr. appt that I'd been avoiding for a long time.  Bloodwork was done and a few days later, I got a text from CVS saying a prescription was ready.  When we went to pick it up, it was Metformin.  No uncomfortable conversation, no phone call, just a script.  Eventually, a printout came in the mail saying my A1C was 8.4 and that is obviously full on Diabetes.  Can't say I was truly surprised.  I was 235 lbs at 5'7".  Given how I came to this knowledge, I realized a cardiologists office is not where I need to be going for assistance.  I quickly found a local general practitioner who specialized in Diabetes and scheduled an appointment for a few days later.  In the meantime, I began consuming every bit of information I could find about reversing T2D and immediately altered my diet, exercise and awareness.

When I met with the new Doc, I told him I wasn't going to take the meds and would be pursuing a lifestyle solution.  Since I was technically asymptomatic other than the blood numbers, he agreed it was safe for me to try.  Over the next few weeks, I learned about many options and began intermittent fasting and eating a modified Ketogenic diet.  Just more fat and less protein.  I began walking around the property (more on that later) and quickly began to drop weight.  Novel concept.  Within a few weeks, I was doing One Meal A Day or OMAD as my version of intermittent fasting.  Basically, one hour of eating and 23 hours of not.  In general, I only eat dinner.  Luckily, and with the support of my incredibly disciplined wife, I was able to stick with this program 100% without having any cheat days or cheat meals that many people claim help to get them through.  I've been checking my blood nearly every day and learning what foods do what.  My 90 day average blood sugar was 100. 

Long story short, fast forward 90 days and I was able to get an A1C test done at a minute clinic on my last day at the old job.  Result: A1C of 5.5.  I'm down over 43 lbs and I feel like a million bucks.  I still have probably another 40 to go to get to fighting weight (very skinny) at which point I'll start cutting and probably gain back 10 or 20 lbs of lean muscle.  It feels really good.  I'm able to do things I haven't done for decades with ease and I'm largely disgusted by the fact that it took this long and a stupid number on a piece of paper to convince me to make it so.  Kim is happy.  I'm happy.  Hemi is happy.  We go for walks around the property which given the change in elevation over distance is more like a forced death march.  I've even spent some time running up said hills.  It's a whole new world.  If I can do it, anyone can do it. 

So, yeah...  I no longer have Diabetes and I plan to keep it that way.  Don't let them tell you it's a chronic and continuing "disease".  It's a lifestyle condition that you CAN fix. 

Oh, and the XT is way faster than it was.  Perhaps someone can do that math on the power to weight ratio change on a 19hp bike.  :)

Be well! 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
Re: Type II Diabetes - My Story
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 09:08:20 PM »
 :smiley_thumb: I believe I read somewhere that every 10 lb lost is equivalent to 1 HP gain so you've increased the "HP" of your bike by 25%????
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I am bored.
  • Motorcycles: '16 Moto Guzzi Audace, '10 Ural T
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 04:52:36 AM »
Attaboy
Bubbles is my bitch.

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 05:07:56 AM »
That's great news! My BIL has T2D and is quite heavy but not taking it seriously like you did with the lifestyle change. WELL DONE!
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 07:35:58 AM »
Great!  Stick with it.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 07:38:18 AM »
Good on ya!
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 08:06:43 AM »
that is awesome!!
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »
That's a good result!  Glad to hear you're handling it with glee and a big FU to the D.
--Tom

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 09:20:41 AM »
Congrats

Not unlike here. I take the metformin but also adjusted lifestyle choices. I started back up using MyFitnessPal using the "heart healthy" option to track eating habits (also teaches and reinforces if you enter something before choosing to eat it).

-60+ lbs. -10+ inches in the waist. Blood work looking great (in the 4s).

Keep it up!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:07:35 PM by Bounce »

Offline smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 09:51:03 AM »
Awesome. Being fit makes EVERYTHING better.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Offline BuckeyeRider

• Not all who wander are lost.
  • Motorcycles: A Little 'Un
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 09:56:47 AM »
So, yeah...  I no longer have Diabetes and I plan to keep it that way.  Don't let them tell you it's a chronic and continuing "disease".  It's a lifestyle condition that you CAN fix. 

Congratulations, great job. One cautionary tale in regards to your quote above...

When I was first diagnosed, my A1C was right at 10.  I lost a ton of weight and started running and got my A1C down to 5.3 at one point. Cut out most if not all carbs (based on meter readings). I eventually got off all meds (for diabetes and blood pressure). I too, was "Cured".

Fast forward a couple years and I ended up quitting my job, starting a business and got divorced. I injured my leg and had to stop running for awhile, and then just as I was getting back into it, I broke a toe and had to stop for awhile again.

Anyway, long story short, I stopped running, was single for the first time in 23 years and started enjoying myself a little too much. Put on a little weight, let a few carbs back into my life, and before I knew it, the BP starting creeping back up and the A1c went to shit again. Now I'm back on meds and trying to get it all under control again.

Sooo, you may be "cured" but the nasty little bastard is still sitting there watching, waiting for you to drop your guard and the minute you do, it will be back.

I realize that probably proves your point about it being a lifestyle thing, but plenty of people are fat and lazy and don't have diabetes. You and I don't have that luxury.

Online Virginian

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401, '14 Vespa 946 Bellissma, '14 HD Wide Glide
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 11:41:27 AM »
Awesome news Bill! And what has happened to our medical system to not even take the time to inform you of a possible game changing prognosis? I mean wtf?
Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 12:02:07 PM »
Dude, that is awesome. Way to take your life back. And, yeah, it's inspirational.  :bigok:
A man with no sig

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 07:52:15 PM »
That's great news, Bill! It's tough to lose the weight and keep it off, so kudos on the first part. :bigok:

I watched my grandma struggle with the Type II diabetes for the last 20 years of her life.  She was never able to be disciplined enough to keep the weight off, so eventually ended up on insulin.  I swore I would never allow myself to be that unhealthy in later life.  On June 25th, 2011 I weighed 239.2 lb and my knees ached like crazy.  I should not have had arthritis at 31.  I was tired and couldn't keep up with Sprout, who was a year old at the time.  I've now been at 150 lbs +/- 2 lbs since September of 2012 (barring that brief foray into a 2nd pregnancy in 2015...).  I'm right there with you that if I can do it, anyone can.

My secret has been religious tracking with WeightWatchers and long bicycle rides for all these years, for those of you who are curious. The bicycle has mostly replaced the moto as my 2-wheel hobby, but I can do it with the kids and it burns more calories.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Otay!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
That's fantastic.  Great work man!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
"Buckwheat is dead"

Online sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 03:24:52 AM »
Glad you caught it in time Vulcanbill. When you fast do you only drink water or do you offset it with broth?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 09:02:30 AM »
Glad you caught it in time Vulcanbill. When you fast do you only drink water or do you offset it with broth?

Black coffee and tea and water. For longer fasts, a salty elixir to keep electrolytes up. Carbonated water with ACV, low sugar coconut water, maybe some olive juice. I did a 96 hour fast and frankly just got bored with it tho. It was more an exercise in testing mental discipline than anything. Once I knew I could do it, the mystique was gone.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »

Sooo, you may be "cured" but the nasty little bastard is still sitting there watching, waiting for you to drop your guard and the minute you do, it will be back.

Ditto, I lost 60 lbs, went from 200ml insulin and Glimpride a day and an A1C over 8, to no meds at all and an A1C in the low 5's by cutting out carbs and sugars. I couldn't take Metformin because it made me fart like a buffalo, which can be tedious at best with only half a colon.

A year later I've slacked off and gained 18 lbs back and the average daily blood sugar reading is creeping back up. So yes, it's out there waiting for you. 
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 12:15:30 PM »
Yeah, I get that. Thus the lifestyle thing. It's like anything that you don't keep in check. While a divorce may have resulted in a slip for one, I would have a reverse outcome. Kim put up with this crap for twenty years one time. I'm pretty sure she won't do it again. Especially since I have proven I can do it with relative ease. If I were to start to revert back, let's just say I would have plenty of help getting back on track or lots of free time and very little money to to support my fat. I have extremely significant motivation to stay the course.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 12:24:02 PM »
And technically I never actually used the word cured since I don't think of it as a disease. I have simply taken control back. I suppose that clinically, I no longer meet the criteria for having the condition of T2D.  And based on what certain foods are or are not doing to my blood sugar, it would appear that my level of insulin resistance isn't anything to be alarmed about either.  It seems that when fed the right stuff, my body still does what it's supposed to do. I say again...novel concept.

Offline thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 01:32:54 PM »
Peruse a dictionary if you don't see it as a disease Doc.  :rolleyes:
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Offline BuckeyeRider

• Not all who wander are lost.
  • Motorcycles: A Little 'Un
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »
Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, sorry.

Again, great job. Keep it up. Whether it's a disease, or a predisposition to to reacting badly to modern American life, its something I know I have to stay on top of. I got cocky when I got rid of it the first time, and I'm paying the price for it again, but slowly chipping away at it. Scheduled for another A1c here shortly and I'm expecting much better results.

Nice that you have a support system. Give her a hug.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 02:00:03 PM »
Peruse a dictionary if you don't see it as a disease Doc.  :rolleyes:

I don’t think of it as such.  Just like obesity, opioid addiction and anything else that is totally avoidable.  Some people think adhd is a disease and anxiety. I’ll stop there.

Cancer is a disease.  Alzheimer’s is a disease.  The dictionary does not define me.  See what I did there. 🖖

Offline thatguy

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 05:26:52 PM »
Thoughts have little affect on reality.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 09:21:03 AM »
Can we not give the shit-stirring a rest? This adversarial shit seems to be acceptable in the political forums of NET, but picking nits in more "cooperative" sections of forums here on ORG are tedious.

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »
Good to see the management is working for you.  My guess your wife will keep you on the straight and narrow. 

Was a little concerned this May watching you eat brownies...Like a competition.

Again good on ya!
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Offline thatguy

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 07:53:59 PM »
Can we not give the shit-stirring a rest? This adversarial shit seems to be acceptable in the political forums of NET, but picking nits in more "cooperative" sections of forums here on ORG are tedious.

I had something to say. No attack,no cursing,no aggression. Relax.

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2019, 08:56:17 PM »
 Hey Bill - congrats on a major first step!.

I read this post a few days ago and have come back to re-read it several times. 

My quiet inner voice is yelling.

At 6'0" and 235 I have also become slow - lazy and not in a great place. 

My chemistry is "Borderline" but I sense a change for the worse if I choose to do nothing and continue as I have been doing.  So far, the 50's so far have not been very kind to me.

Your post has inspired me to do something as yet undefined.

Thanks a lot A$$hole....

;)
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2019, 10:37:35 AM »

I had something to say. No attack,no cursing,no aggression. Relax.

Just came back from a 2-week road trip. Those things tend to lower my tolerance of things BS-ish. If it wasn't meant to be, then I apologize. In context, I think I see that it was a response to someone saying their thoughts about whether or not something was a disease had no connection to the science.

With that in mind, I would point out that leprosy is a disease yet it's avoidable. Don't cuddle with armadillos or those who already have it. Just because it's avoidable doesn't change it's classification.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2019, 03:30:39 PM »
Hey Bill - congrats on a major first step!.

I read this post a few days ago and have come back to re-read it several times. 

My quiet inner voice is yelling.

At 6'0" and 235 I have also become slow - lazy and not in a great place. 

My chemistry is "Borderline" but I sense a change for the worse if I choose to do nothing and continue as I have been doing.  So far, the 50's so far have not been very kind to me.

Your post has inspired me to do something as yet undefined.

Thanks a lot A$$hole....

;)

My pleasure.  Glad to be of service.  :)  Perhaps I can help you define a something...  Here are the videos I send folks asking for details.  This is a basic explanation of cutting sugar and starting a fat burning process.  Try to keep up.  It's pretty deep.   :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVPcfJlM7Ao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGkoeqGmUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSj4MFXfur0

Offline Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »
👍. Good for you. Life is short. Stretch it out when you can.
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Offline DNA

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 07:57:23 PM »
Thx cartoon Science is fun.

Low carb diets worked pretty well for me in the ‘90s - it is interesting they are popular again.

How well can you exercise - I usually got pretty exhausted after 20 min of any good exercise when I was in ketosis.
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2019, 02:25:51 PM »

Low carb diets worked pretty well for me in the ‘90s - it is interesting they are popular again.

How well can you exercise - I usually got pretty exhausted after 20 min of any good exercise when I was in ketosis.

I still have plenty of fat to pull from so I have a good deal of fuel.  Though truth be told, after about 45 minutes of running around that property, I'm about done regardless.  I'm gaining strength back and only beginning to tap into any semblance of fitness...as defined by a 50 y/o dude who is still 30 to 45 lbs overweight depending on who you ask.

Offline tankhead

• Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2019, 03:21:50 PM »

Just saying there was a couple who rowed a boat to Hawaii from CALI doing all keto. Your tolerance for exercise might have been low and/or electrolyte balance out.  Have used this method quite a few times and am currently doing it again.  Then I fall back on the old ways and always feel like shit.  Knees, fat, breathing, but when I go back to Keto, I piss like a race horse for a few days, my breathing returns, my knees stop hurting, and my energy levels never crash throughout the day.  Carbs tend to keep me super bloated as with most people, they store water, cause inflammation and are not good for the heart and CV system at all. Keeping all that residual fluid interstitially puts a greater demand on the heart and kidneys over the years.  A great recipe for left ventricular hypertrophy and then ultimately congestive heart failure. I used to work in Physical therapy as an exercise physiologist for cardiac and pulmonary patients in the 90's and was a personal trainer for 8 years.  The shit that we where fed in the 90's is the biggest lie to the consumer EVER. Lobbyists and the FDA/RDA can suck a few dicks for the shit they put out with that food guide pyramid.  What a disaster.  BTW:  My brother has been doing this without fail for 10 years since I taught him this method, and he just ran a half marathon on a treadmill (crazy town) without any supplemental sugars/gatorade/or any nutrition at all during the whole run and he is 54.  And I rode the mountain bike today and yesterday completely fasted for 40 minutes and 30 minutes and never felt better.  GOOGLE: Dr Jason Fung, a nephrologist (kidney doc), about intermittent fasting and Type 2 diabetes and or weight loss.  Extremely relevant research.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:16:05 PM by tankhead »

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2019, 08:02:01 PM »
I did a 5K on the treadmill today at lunch and energy was a nonissue Hardest part was trying not to increase speed knowing I would just be killing my feet. Plenty of energy and was at about 14 hours fasting with only celery nuts and cheese for dinner last night.  Did some light lifting after and felt strong.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2019, 09:06:57 AM »
Not a keto kinda guy but reducing my fat, sugar, and cabs has made a world of difference for me. I am toward the end of my 2nd year and have lost more than 60# and 10+" around the waist. When on longer rides, I would lose up to 15# just because of avoiding those things for the short term and drinking lots of water. I should have seen that as a hint and started doing it sooner.

I don't cut them out (other than sugar) but try really hard to keep those numbers very low each day. Say 1/2 or less of the daily target of MyFitnessPal's "heart healthy" goals.

Cheese is something I also try to avoid because of the high fat and sodium. Dad had been diagnosed with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease and reacted to a medication he was prescribed that caused the plaque in his veins to break loose and clog his heart chambers by up to 90%. That makes me wary of many "fad" diets like keto.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:59:59 AM by Bounce »

Offline stevent

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 09:28:57 AM »
I love cheese, that and red wine are my biggest carbs these days. Being snotty west coast liberals we keep a good selection of cheeses and reds on hand, though the missus prefers whites. I still manage to keep my A1c in the 5's by avoiding almost all other carbs and sugars.

I've walked a lot all my life but old injuries and arthritis have made that a none-starter I'm afraid. I get some funny looks when I unstrap my cane from the luggage rack on the bike and hobble away.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2019, 01:02:04 PM »
I'm not sure if this is motivating or frustrating...  I got home yesterday and got on the scale.  It read 189.  I was stoked.  Went to get the phone as I planned to send Kim a pic.  Breaking out of the 190s has been a chore.  When I got back on the scale, it said 190.  Gah!!!  So I got off and let it reset since it's digital.  Got back on and it said 191.  I saw 189 so that's what I'm calling it.  That's significant because I've gone from the BMI category of grossly obese, to obese, and now into the "just" overweight category.  It's the little things.

Yesterday I did 2.5 miles at 6.0 mph on the treadmill with the last half lap at 8 mph.  For my little legs, that's about 80% of what I got.  Felt pretty good.  Today was just weights to give my dogs a break. 

I see you, skinny Bill and I'm comin' to get ya. 

Offline smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2019, 02:56:49 PM »
You're a rock star Bill.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2019, 09:30:20 AM »
Getting down to a reasonable weight and staying there is laudable. Don't get caught up in the whole BMI thing though. The guy who created it in 1840 was full of shit; a mathematician trying to explain health.

https://www.sho.com/video/9167/body-mass-index

Offline DNA

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2019, 12:41:18 PM »
Hey guys - thanks to this thread and few other outside motivators - I am now 2 weeks into Ketosis and have been completely carb free and am working with a personal trainer 2X per week at the gym!

So far I have lost 5 lbs and pee a lot - but the test strips are purple every AM.

Hoping to lose 25 lbs in 90 days then get back into martial arts with my 9 yo son.

Step 1: Start - Check!

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »
I once lost 60# in 90 days back in the 70s. It wasn't natural and wasn't sustainable. Now I go with lifestyle modifications that can be maintained a lifetime (not a "diet" as in fad that are seen in POS magazine stands). It's taken me nearly 2 years to lose more than 60# but the process continues in the right direction in a manner that won't have adverse repercussions.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2019, 01:06:49 PM »
Hey guys - thanks to this thread and few other outside motivators - I am now 2 weeks into Ketosis and have been completely carb free and am working with a personal trainer 2X per week at the gym!

So far I have lost 5 lbs and pee a lot - but the test strips are purple every AM.

Hoping to lose 25 lbs in 90 days then get back into martial arts with my 9 yo son.

Step 1: Start - Check!

Awesome. Glad to hear it.

It's 5K Friday.  Went from 38:14 to 33.42. Still fat and slow but slightly less so.

Ow

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »
Look at you, skinny man! Well done!
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline stevent

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2019, 09:50:23 AM »
After a week of indulging my blood sugar was 191 this morning.. Time to get back on track fer' sure...

:'(

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2019, 10:00:53 AM »
After a week of indulging my blood sugar was 191 this morning.. Time to get back on track fer' sure...

Ooof.  That's a good one.  I saw a couple in the 120s and 130s recently after a bad food day.  Yeah, bad is relative.  Speaking of relatives, I was talking to my BIL on Saturday and he said his A1C was over 14 when he was diagnosed.  I didn't know that was a thing.  I figured they'd admit you with that level of sugar in your blood.   :o  He was super happy that his recent readings were in the 7s.  Not sure anyone explained to him the Hemi range.  <5.7 = normal, 5.7 to 6.4 = borderline or prediabetic, and >6.4 being full on T2D.  He also doesn't check his blood ever and was plowing sweets all weekend so not terribly surprised. 

Also, see this for morning sugar readings:  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317351.php

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2019, 09:29:25 AM »
The NP was asking me what my BSL was tracking since my last visit. I looked at the Dr. quizzically and explained I had never been told I needed to test it. I was told (again) that it wasn't needed (so I don't).

Offline stevent

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2019, 03:12:50 PM »

Ooof.  That's a good one.  I saw a couple in the 120s and 130s recently after a bad food day.  Yeah, bad is relative.  Speaking of relatives, I was talking to my BIL on Saturday and he said his A1C was over 14 when he was diagnosed.  I didn't know that was a thing.  I figured they'd admit you with that level of sugar in your blood.   :o  He was super happy that his recent readings were in the 7s.  Not sure anyone explained to him the Hemi range.  <5.7 = normal, 5.7 to 6.4 = borderline or prediabetic, and >6.4 being full on T2D.  He also doesn't check his blood ever and was plowing sweets all weekend so not terribly surprised. 

Also, see this for morning sugar readings:  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317351.php

Interesting article, my sugars are always higher in the morning but usually around 125-130. I check again in the afternoon and they're usually around 100 to 115.

As long as I can keep those ranges through carb cutting and so forth I'm happy. I really don't want to go back on insulin or deal with unnecessary medical issues. It's already dropping back down so just a Thanksgiving bump and lesson learned.