Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you do today Non moto  (Read 573550 times)

Skee and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
Re: What did you do today Non moto
« Reply #6350 on: Yesterday at 09:26:32 PM »
Slightly moto related, but 4wheels, not 2.

Wife's Xterra rear suspension was getting tired after 140k and 9 years. Sitting a good 1.5" low in the back from stock height. Every decent bump was into the rock hard bump stops with a noticable jolt.

So... time for a weekend wrenching. New spring packs, new bumpstops and new shocks because... hell, I was already going to be there.

Only real issues were the front spring mount bolts. Totally seized in the bushings, with very limited tool clearance (and 150 ft lbs of tight). After struggling with it for way longer than I should have, a quick call to a pro mech buddy came back with "new cutting wheel and cut that bolt between the spring and hanger. Get new bolts". Duh. 5 minutes with grinder and boom, all apart. Reassemble is reverse.

Done and tested for noises. Only one loose sway bar connection making noise. All better now. Big bumps no longer touch the stops, and the Mrs. stated the it 'felt stiffer'. Phrasing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #6351 on: Yesterday at 10:01:35 PM »
@ Leanintree,  Them stuck shackle bolts come out best with the "smoke wrench"

A well placed Act/Oxy cutting torch will slice off the heads of any bolt in seconds. Using a punch to push the remaining bolt through the hole.   

A plasma cutter is always your friend, quicker and less heat.

If you don't have the bottled fire kit or burning arch machine, a vibrating cutter with a metal cutting blade works as good but take a lot of time.

Minor note: do not tighten the shackle bolts until the weight of the vehicle is on them, no sense in twisting the bushings needlessly. Tightening them before putting the vehicle on them will also make it ride a bit stiffer. That is the bushings being twisted beyond their limit.

Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #6352 on: Yesterday at 11:00:30 PM »
Busy couple of weeks, and crazy busy today.

Sprayed every inch of one of my wife's car's front tires with soapy water trying to find a leak. Couldn't find one. Put a couple pounds of air in it to bring it up to matching the other three tires, then cursed the German engineers who set the tolerances so low on the TPS units for alerting when there's only 2lbs difference in one tire... which was probably just due to such crazy and rapid temperature changes the past couple of weeks.  :facepalm:

Spent much of the rest of the day working on a side project; my wife's company (as in, the one she owns) has hired me (as in, I'm not getting paid yet, but here's hoping the future goes well) to write her a mobile app and web service. Doing the app in Google's new(er) mobile language/platform, Flutter (aka Dart). This will be my third production app in Flutter, and I'm really kind of enjoying the language. Pretty cool stuff.

Also spent a little time working on the water control system for the WV property. Quick description: 2 water-collection roofs gather water into a total of 600-gallons of barrels, which are pump-fed through a filtration system into a 300-gallon main tank, which is pump fed through another filtration system into the living quarters. Building an automation system for it. Writing the code in Google Go on a Raspberry Pi, though I may switch it over to Node or Python for full production use because I think Go is a bucket of half-rendered ass. This system monitors the rain water level in the staging tanks, and the active tank's level, and pumps from the staging tanks into the active tank when necessary. It also monitors the pump/pressure between the main tank and the residence, and shuts it off if it runs for more than 30 minutes, and/or if the main tank's level drops too rapidly, likely indicating a leak. Manual controls and overrides via a small LCD panel on the Pi, mounted on the wall (once completed). This is pretty much the lowest-priority project I've got laying around, but since I was tied to my desk all day, I put in a couple hours on it. Mostly testing and safety-netting the code for no-crash error capturing and reporting.

Spent some time looking over the bank accounts (now dwindled to basically zero thanks to COBRA and the ACA), and desperately counting down the days until the rest of my support ends, while working very hard to get back onto a corporate pay model with proper health care. I need to lessen this monthly nut. There's just too much outstanding debt that's hanging over my head and really worrying me. Including the IRS.

My youngest daughter scored a full boat academic ride to college, which is awesome. She's crazy wicked smart, and I'm so proud of her. Some of you local folks know my daughter Sarah from the Knoebel's rides and such. Holy crap, she's 18 and graduating high school already. #timeflies Looks like she'll be following her sister Becca into nursing. There's a significant shortage of nurses and PAs across the board, so it's a good time to go into that. It's noble work. #respect

Had a heart to heart chat with my brother today; he's super bummed he has to quit riding, and he's probably going to be putting his camper up for sale, too. He's got a 2-year or 3-year old 30-some foot Vengeance that's nicer than my house. The back bedroom is also the garage, and back wall of that room pulls double duty as the ride up ramp, and the deck. Thing is saaweeeeet. Not sure what all this means for the WV property, yet. On the upside, his bike is going to one of our own here in the ST.N/ST.O family, so that's super cool. He keeps his stuff pristine, so that'll end up being a good long term bike for the new owner if he so chooses to keep it a while.

Had a job interview last week that I completely nailed, but I need more money than they can offer. Significantly so, and more of a cut than I'm willing to take from my current posting. (sigh) "This guy is amazing - perfect for the job, we just can't make his numbers, by about 40%." -- feedback forwarded to me from the company by the recruiter. If I could guarantee that I'd be ok working two (essentially full time) jobs and it wouldn't land me back in court for support, I'd try to find a way to keep working at the startup for less money, and take that job, but the hours would just kill me. Been there, done that. "I'm getting too old for this shit." -- Sgt. Murtaugh. And I just know I'd probably end up making a pinch more money and end up paying all the extra out in support, thus nullifying any gains. Maybe, I dunno. I haven't done any adjustments on support in years; it's just not worth the drama. I'm already paying support based on what I was making like 8 years ago, which is more a year than I'm making now. It sucks, and I could legitimately get it lowered, but holy crap, the drama that would bring. It wouldn't be enough of a change to make it worth it at all. :\

Spent a little time talking with another brother, even though we're kind of estranged from each other; he just had both knees replaced, so we had a short chat in that context. He's doing well after surgery, but as he lives alone and had both done at the same time, he opted to recoup a while in a phys-rehab center. He's got the money, so might as well enjoy some being taken care of, right?

Ah, the interesting things life brings.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:16:11 PM by chornbe »
this signature on hold pending review

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #6353 on: Today at 08:03:30 AM »
@ Leanintree,  Them stuck shackle bolts come out best with the "smoke wrench"

A well placed Act/Oxy cutting torch will slice off the heads of any bolt in seconds. Using a punch to push the remaining bolt through the hole.   

A plasma cutter is always your friend, quicker and less heat.

If you don't have the bottled fire kit or burning arch machine, a vibrating cutter with a metal cutting blade works as good but take a lot of time.

Minor note: do not tighten the shackle bolts until the weight of the vehicle is on them, no sense in twisting the bushings needlessly. Tightening them before putting the vehicle on them will also make it ride a bit stiffer. That is the bushings being twisted beyond their limit.

Yup, grinder made the problem poof go away (although, it was a little annoying to have to hit 2 different dealers for a 1 bolt each...)

Now that you tell me why, I may have to loosen and re-tighten the shackles. I preloaded them with the jack under differential, but it wasn't up off the jack stands, so likely didn't have full weight. Although, I did grease them per service manual. Makes much more sense when you say WHY not to crank them down in the air. Plus side though, those are accessible with tire in place, and only 78 ft-lbs. Just little buggers, and I can use either torque wrench on 'em.  :bigok: Thanks Andrew!

LT
Great googly-moogly!