Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fort Collins - Walden - Laramie loop  (Read 2150 times)

Online Jim

• Contributor
Fort Collins - Walden - Laramie loop
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:54:01 PM »
Populating past rides into the forum... Enjoy!

May 25, 2007
Walden-Laramie Loop

In search of... Some road that might connect the Red Feather Lakes area to the Jelm/Walden area. I wanted to do a counter-clockwise loop (Red Feather Lakes, Jelm, Walden) with the "dotted" area being the desired route. In the end the road, dirt, would be gated and I would end up turning back and taking CO-14 to Walden. This would then make the route into a clockwise one by doing Walden, Jelm and Laramie.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Road cut and shortly I'll be at the first turn - The Forks.

A dotted cloud day.

Well now I know - the road I want to see isn't to be asphalt.

Pickens Point - A nice stop to enjoy a snack. I had some company (three graves right on the point)

View from the point.

CO-14 Heading towards Walden.

Poudre (pron Pooh-Derr) Falls, Cache La Poudre River.

Cameron Pass
10,276 Ft

It's not a grand, spectacular pass. If it wasn't for the sign you might not pay much attention.

Just after the pass the road turns a corner and we're presented with this mountain. I'm looking at those horizontal lines on the mountainside - they must be roads - I'd like to ride'm (forest service roads perhaps). [edit: The horizontal cut is the "Upper Michigan Ditch". Photos from a bicycle ride on it in 2010 - here]

Halfway between Cameron Pass and Walden. We're in the North Park basin looking east at the mountains I just came from.

North of Walden. Still fairly flat though we'll roll through some low pass before long.

Nice bridge over a creek, surrounded by green trees. A couple additional angle photos exist in the full photo report on my website

US-287 heading back to Fort Collins.

262 Miles
6:19 total time (h:m)
41.5 MPH Overall average
5:05 moving time (h:m)
51.5 MPH Moving average

Full photo set
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:11:29 PM by Jim »
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: Fort Collins - Walden - Laramie loop
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 07:09:58 AM »
Nice

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 08:57:32 AM »
So Jim, what's the condition of Poudre Canyon Hwy now?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »
So Jim, what's the condition of Poudre Canyon Hwy now?

Roads recap:

CO-119 (Boulder to Nederland) - It opened a couple weeks ago. It reduced the detour commute by an hour for many folks.

US-36 (Lyons to Estes Park) - it opened about 10 days ago. It's asphalt the whole way, though a fair bit of the "new asphalt" is atop temporary roadway. It's there to get it open for the winter season. Next season will be more road repair.

US-34 (Loveland to Estes Park) - It opened two days ago (Thursday). I have not yet been on it, but I imagine a fair bit is temporary road with temp asphalt. There were several sections where you could not tell any sign of man had construction in the valley.

CO-14 (Fort Collins to Walden) - It opened some time back. There is only one work zone, about 300 feet in length, where it's "temp stop-light" one-way travel through the section. That was from several weeks ago / the last I was up there.

The Jamestown area / Left Hand Canyon - I don't know if those are open as yet. Those are lower traffic roads, though I'm sure the people living up there are awaiting opening.

Perhaps more for US-34, there is debate as to how the roads should be reconstructed. Should they be built inexpensively and easy to wash away but easy to rebuild or build expensively and hard to wash out. The lower section (just west of "the pipe" for a mile or two) was "hard to wash away / expensive to build" roadway - I'm curious to see how it fared.

I did a jeep trip near Estes Park and went up US-36. A fair bit of the "refuse" is still awaiting to be cleared. The first photos of this web page show US-36 just west of Lyons CO:
www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2013-11-10--pole-hill--tree-clearing/
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 07:52:29 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson