Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Triumph 800 tiger, thinking of buying, have some questions  (Read 4249 times)

Offline goldylocks303

• Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger 800
Triumph 800 tiger, thinking of buying, have some questions
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
I'm seriously considering buying a new or used triumph tiger 800.  I test road a 2014 street version over the weekend and it's quite nice.  It's a screaming deal since it's a year old but still new which means no miles and 2-year factory warranty.   

I have a few questions I'm hoping you all have some insight on:
Do the spoked rims really matter?  the difference between the offroad and the street version is bolt on farckles and spoked rims vs. cast rims.   I want to start riding on the dirt in addition to street but I know nothing about it. Why are spoked rims better for dirt riding???  Everything else that makes it an "offroad" bike is something I can buy and bolt on later. 

Speaking of bolt on farckles...  I don't need everything that comes on the XC/offroad model, can you save a lot of money by buying just the items you want and installing them yourself?  Or is the package deal from the dealer pretty good?  My assumption is that factory installed stuff is low quality and overpriced. 

(for anyone who is intimately familiar with these bikes) The 2015 models come with four different options packages: street, upgraded street, XC (cross country offroad), and upgraded XC.  The "upgraded" is a lot of bolt on stuff (see above) BUT it's a also some some computer stuff I can't simply bolt on.  Like a third traction control option, 4 throttle maps, cruise control, and a third ABS setting.  And maybe some suspension upgrades that I'm not willing to install myself.  Is all that stuff worth it?  The 2014 I test rode  had on/off ABS and on/off traction control so it's not a totally stripped down version.  I'm trying to decide if I should wait for a 2015 that I would like alot ($$$) or take the bird in hand (the 2014 which I also like)?  Dealer says there are a lot less 2015's coming than there were 2014's, so I might be waiting a while. Keep in my mind my current bike is a 2002 yami YZF 600R that isn't even fuel injected so anything I buy will feel like a huge upgrade. 

aaaaaand go!

eD

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:27:38 PM by goldylocks303 »

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
Re: Triumph 800 tiger, thinking of buying, have some questions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:24:49 PM »
Spoke wheels flex instead of crack/break when hitting sharp edges, so they hold up better to off-road abuse. Also note that the XC version has a 21" front wheel which handles much better in the dirt than the 19" on the XR (which is an improvement over a 17"). The 21" isn't going to feel as good on the street.

For me, the big change for 2015 is the fully adjustable WP suspension on the XC models. I would prefer a 19/17 tubeless spoke wheel setup like the Tiger Explorer has, but that's not an option on the little Tiger.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 06:30:30 AM »
I guess you have to ask yourself where the majority of its miles will be. On the street over long distances? Cruise would be nice. Mostly backroads and two-tracks? The 21" wheel would be great. Big duallies are compromises, not the best at anything, but able to do most everything. Bias it towards your most likely use.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:55 AM »
I had a 2012 Tiger 800 (road version).  The XC version with the 21" front wheel would definitely be better in the dirt. 

If you are new to riding dirt and want to really explore, it would be an expensive and somewhat top-heavy bike for learning the ropes, falling, etc. 

I doubt you can save a whole lot of money on aftermarket items versus buying as a package - especially if you price high quality stuff like Touratech.  Personally I don't know that traction control is needed on this bike and I wouldn't wait for a bunch of computer upgrades.  Buying new means you will be eating a lot of depreciation - Triumph resale values are not great.

I eventually sold my Tiger for a BMW F700GS.  I was tired of the engine & frame heat in the summer.  Major services are in the $800-$1000 range if done by a dealer.  The BMW doesn't have quite the punch of the Tiger, but it gets about 10-15mpg better fuel economy when commuting and has a noticeably lower COG.

Offline goldylocks303

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 01:00:51 PM »
All of this is good information, keep it coming. 

Still on the fence about spoked rims vs. cast.  It will probably see more asphalt than dirt but I don't want to run into problems when it does see dirt.  But I'm also not talking about serious adventure touring.  Just average dirt roads that go off into the hills that I can't take on my current sport bike.  No rock crawling, no mud bogs, no jumps, no rallies, no high speed.  I may ride it to the mountains specifically to get on dirt roads but that's 150 miles of asphalt, romp around the hills for 50+ miles, and then 150 miles back on asphalt. 

I'm not too worried about depreciation, I tend to keep vehicles for over a decade.  I'm worried about buying something and then spending a ton of money and time turning into what I want.  As opposed to just buying what I want. 

eD

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 01:36:06 PM »
Personally-spoke versus cast-will I be using my 504lb (unladen) dirt bike hard enough to bend a cast wheel? Probably not. Will I be pissed if I do bend a cast wheel? Yup. Do the spoke wheels on a GS look leagues better than the cast? Yup. Spokes win.

Spokes when purchased originally on the bike - $500
Original OEM spokes purchased after - $2000+
Where am I?

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »
Personally-spoke versus cast-will I be using my 504lb (unladen) dirt bike hard enough to bend a cast wheel? Probably not. Will I be pissed if I do bend a cast wheel? Yup. Do the spoke wheels on a GS look leagues better than the cast? Yup. Spokes win.

Note: hitting a pothole on a (badly) paved road can break/ding a cast wheel, so it isn't just insurance for dirt roads. While I want tubeless spoke wheels on my next bike, I haven't had a flat on my street bike (or dirt bike) in a bunch of years, so the "easy flat repair" of cast vs tubed spoke isn't probably that big an issue. It wouldn't stop me from buying the Tiger 800 XCx.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 07:06:38 PM »

Note: hitting a pothole on a (badly) paved road can break/ding a cast wheel, so it isn't just insurance for dirt roads. While I want tubeless spoke wheels on my next bike, I haven't had a flat on my street bike (or dirt bike) in a bunch of years, so the "easy flat repair" of cast vs tubed spoke isn't probably that big an issue. It wouldn't stop me from buying the Tiger 800 XCx.

That is true-especially the Michigan roads are worse than two-tracks. Seriously. But I do have tubeless spoked wheels, and I believe the Yamaha Tenere are tubeless spoked wheels. I just figured the Trump was the same.
Where am I?

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:06:38 PM »
I currently have a '13 roadie that I enjoy but have thought very hard about getting rid of. Nothing against the bike, just want different. The bike is great on the pavement but don't know if I would take it on dirt. Gravel roads, yeah, but probably not real fast. I have the triumph side cases but if I was planning on doing dirt roads, I don't think I would trust them on surviving a fall.

Again, I really enjoy the comfort of my roadie but it's nicknamed a roadie for a reason.  So I'm looking at going back to a more sport-touring oriented bike.
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline goldylocks303

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 10:33:41 AM »
Yes I saw your bike in the for sale section and am pondering it.  Still not sure which direction I want to go.  Spoked or cast rims?  New or used?  Thanks for mentioning it, I might be shooting you a message next week to see it. 

eD

Offline FJRider

• Banned at ST.n!
    • Zombo
  • Motorcycles: 2009 FJR1300AE, 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ABS
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »
I have a 2014 XC and love it. It is very easy to work on and rides great. So supple. Handles great. Nice and fast with a great growl song from the triple. I've added Moose Racing rear and top cases, Clearwater Krista driving lights, Kaoko cruise control, Pivot Pegz and Heidenau K60 Scout tires. Saturday mornings are now spent planning day trips around Wisconsin's dirt roads and trails while waiting for spring temperatures.
A man is only as old as the woman he feels - Groucho Marx

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 12:29:01 PM »
If you plan on much dirt at all definitely go with spokes and the 21" front. It makes a huge difference. The 21 isn't really "bad" on the street either, I only really notice the effort if you go through a nice S curve. But it's not bad any means just a little slower getting from one side to the other. Off road it is great!
Not sure what the stock tires are but the conti TA2's on my 1190 were very thin and punctured easily so I replaced them  with K60's. not a perfect tire but pretty decent in all but rain.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.