Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kawasaki's Supercharged engine revealed  (Read 13052 times)

Offline bubba zanetti

• Motorcycles: 08 Moto Guzzi Norge
Kawasaki's Supercharged engine revealed
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/kawasakis-supercharged-four-cylinder-engine/24037.html

HERE’S Kawasaki’s new supercharged four-cylinder motorcycle engine – revealed today in Tokyo.

Details are scant. Even the capacity is currently unknown, although there’s something rather ZX-6R-ish about the motor’s castings. With Suzuki’s turbocharged 588cc twin-cylinder Recursion concept bike also on show, it looks like boost really could be coming back to motorcycles for the first time since the 1980s.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/kawasakis-supercharged-four-cylinder-engine/24037.html#ixzz2lCSzPNWN
Easy. I know what I am doing.

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
Re: Kawasaki's Supercharged engine revealed
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
Wow, this could be a game changer. No lightswitch powerband with a supercharger.
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:20:40 AM »
Shove, squeeze, bang and blow? Let the good times roll with the Kawasaki Kompressor.

Actually, it would be lightswitch like power. Right now, whenever you want it. No waiting.
Torque is cheap.

Offline bubba zanetti

• Motorcycles: 08 Moto Guzzi Norge
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 11:29:09 AM »
Never ridden or driven a supercharged machine but have read plenty about them. I look forward to see if this takes root or is just a notion.
Easy. I know what I am doing.

Offline Squareman357

• ZX-14 Warg rider...
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki ZX-14
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 02:30:51 PM »
Shove, squeeze, bang and blow? Let the good times roll with the Kawasaki Kompressor.

Actually, it would be lightswitch like power. Right now, whenever you want it. No waiting.

What's the difference between that and a ZX-14 engine, which is right there, whenever I want it, no waiting, bottomless well of power.  Is it that they can get more power out of a smaller engine?

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
Never ridden or driven a supercharged machine but have read plenty about them. I look forward to see if this takes root or is just a notion.

groan . .. . . . .
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »

What's the difference between that and a ZX-14 engine, which is right there, whenever I want it, no waiting, bottomless well of power.  Is it that they can get more power out of a smaller engine?

That's my thinking.  More grunt from a smaller mill. 

Like the ZX14 the C14 has torque everywhere. 

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »

As cable sez, more power from a smaller displacement engine . . . . . which allows less overall weight, smaller chassis, potentially better handling, less costly suspenders for the same amount of filthy lucre . . . .

Making engines larger has a lot to recommend it, but it does start a snowball affect . . . .
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »
CONCOURS 800!!!!

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
OH OH OH!!!  a blower on the 14R!!! oh yeah!!

oh wait, it's only on small engines... :'(   that blows!
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline Squareman357

• ZX-14 Warg rider...
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »
OH OH OH!!!  a blower on the 14R!!! oh yeah!!

oh wait, it's only on small engines... :'(   that blows!

LOL!   :bigok:

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 04:18:42 PM »
"Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown."
 :couch:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

”And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned and he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!”

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:40:36 PM »

About 100 lbs?   :bigok:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline 2RR2NV

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »

About 100 lbs?   :bigok:

but i doubt it'll put out as much HP or torque as the 14 and/or achieve equal or better Power/weight. nice thought tho. now if they put a blower on the 14,  i think i might have trade in my 14 cause it would be waaaaaaaaay too slow.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 06:21:16 PM »
2 -- yer likley right about lesser power/weight -- but, much like comparing small block and big block Cobras, under equal riders on an interesting road, I'd take the blown small bike, every time.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »
As cable sez, more power from a smaller displacement engine . . . . . which allows less overall weight, smaller chassis, potentially better handling, less costly suspenders for the same amount of filthy lucre . . . .
Making engines larger has a lot to recommend it, but it does start a snowball affect . . . .
But it's not quite that easy and simple.
I turbo'd a KZ 650 in the 80's...
To do it right, the engine needs to beefed up. virtually everywhere.
The tranny needs to be made to handle the power.  Ditto for the cooling, chassis, suspension and brakes.
I'm sure there have been improvements and probably break-throughs, but they can't defy physics.
My turbo-650 was an expensive lesson that it's cheaper and easier to buy a bigger bike.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »
I think the key here is YOU were jury-rigging a turbo onto the bike.  Properly done from the factory everything you bring up is not that big a deal. 

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 08:26:32 PM »
 I was very bummed to find out this kit has been discontinued now that I can afford it: http://www.aaperf.com/vfrkit-gen5.html

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 08:32:50 PM »

That's basically the question that spelled the doom of the Turbo era in the early '80s. The Kawaski GPz750 Turbo was the fiercest of the type, but for about the same price you could have the same performance with a GPz1100 and not have to deal with some of the Turbo's eccentricities, like paying slavish attention to oil quality and levels and letting the little blower slow to a stop before sutting the engine off.

The turbos were an answer to a question nobody was asking.

Torque is cheap.

Offline malbojah

• Motorcycles: FZ1, Burgman 400
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »

Weight difference between the 6R and the 10R is only 7 pounds. Unless the SC is made out of Titanium and Carbon Fiber....and Unicorn Tears ®

SC also takes up a lot of space were the airbox / fuel tank goes

Offline spinalator

• Motorcycles: XT1200Z
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 09:00:25 AM »
I think what we have learned from German/Italian auto makers is that Turbos don't work, and likely have no future.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:18:11 PM by spinalator »

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 09:08:42 AM »
A whole lot of hate on manufacturers trying new things.   :gerg:

I thought this forum was better than that.  :augie:

Online Prubert

• Contributor
  • I'm HUGE in Japan
  • Motorcycles: ‘13 KTM SM-T
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 09:10:08 AM »
I was very bummed to find out this kit has been discontinued now that I can afford it: http://www.aaperf.com/vfrkit-gen5.html

The Toro-charger!  That thing is a beast.   Expensive....but worth it.
Prubert
‘13 KTM SM-T
Waukesha, WI

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 09:11:31 AM »
More automotive motors are going turbo for emissions reasons.

Could the move to turbo'd motorcycle motors be coming from the same arena? This might be a "beginning of the curve" production.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Squareman357

• ZX-14 Warg rider...
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 09:15:32 AM »

Could the move to turbo'd motorcycle motors be coming from the same arena? This might be a "beginning of the curve" production.

Enlighten me.  I'm not that knowledgeable on motors and whatnot.  Why would a turbo be better for emissions?

Offline tyrroneous

• Motorcycles: Daytona 675, SV650 (wifes) and some dirt bikes.
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
I was a 6th gen owner back when Toro was developing his Toro-charger...that was a great thread to read.  I would love to ride a VFR with THAT much power.  Would probably be the perfect bike for my needs/wants.

Offline tyrroneous

• Motorcycles: Daytona 675, SV650 (wifes) and some dirt bikes.
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 09:19:56 AM »

Enlighten me.  I'm not that knowledgeable on motors and whatnot.  Why would a turbo be better for emissions?

My guess would be smaller tubo'd motors with torque/hp output equal to a larger displacement motor.  Generally, smaller motor = less emissions.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »

My guess would be smaller tubo'd motors with torque/hp output equal to a larger displacement motor.  Generally, smaller motor = less emissions.

As well, a turbo effectively recycles some of the exhaust into the system. Helps clean up some of those Nasty hydrocarbons. And that's how turbo units get gunked... by acting as a filter for the exhaust. Ever rebuilt a Caterpiller? That turbo is pretty nasty with soot and crap that gets shoved through it.

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 10:20:55 AM »

Kawasaki engines never struck me as weak little things to begin with, and depending on the amount of boost, this could add enormous power. I'm not sure which model or models it's intended for, but if you start with a ZX14, what you'll be able to do with that on the street is open to debate, but I imagine the marketing department will find a use for it.

http://thekneeslider.com/kawasaki-supercharger-patent-drawings/
Ride safe!

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »

This is my belief - wring out as much power from as little displacement as possible. Along with variable cylinder drop-out/disable (direct reduction of displacement that is processing fuel).

As well, a turbo effectively recycles some of the exhaust into the system. Helps clean up some of those Nasty hydrocarbons. And that's how turbo units get gunked... by acting as a filter for the exhaust. Ever rebuilt a Caterpiller? That turbo is pretty nasty with soot and crap that gets shoved through it.

I don't agree with this. Spent exhaust does not get recycled into the clean air intake stream (which is what I'm taking from your reply). The spent exhaust is used to spin the turbo and is then moved through the rest of the exhaust system and out. Because the turbo is a two vane device, the "other" vane is used to pressurize / pack-in more clean air into the intake system.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »
I don't agree with this. Spent exhaust does not get recycled into the clean air intake stream (which is what I'm taking from your reply). The spent exhaust is used to spin the turbo and is then moved through the rest of the exhaust system and out. Because the turbo is a two vane device, the "other" vane is used to pressurize / pack-in more clean air into the intake system.

The hot section gets hot enough to more than likely reduce emissions.  When I built my turbo car watching the EGT was always fun.  :bigok:
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline sscully

• Motorcycles: 2002 ZG-1000-A17 | 1994 Honda GL1500
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 06:48:52 PM »
A lot of questions on if it will work, mentioning turbos when it is a supercharger.
no spool up on a S/C, so no waiting...

I think engineers know the difference between a S/C ( also correctly called a blower from the other antique up the thread ) and a Turbo ( like the Suzi concept is doing ).  That looks like a mechanical driven unit not xhst gas driven.
"Behind you they're a threat, in front they're entertainment" --Yellow Wolf

Offline 2RR2NV

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2013, 09:44:54 PM »

you. guessed. correctly.

as MPGs get more important, companies are trying to give customers HP but with the possibility of pretty good MPGs if the customer wants it too. smaller engine = lower emissions. but add turbo, gain mostly HP and torque (if done right).

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 09:45:42 PM »
A lot of questions on if it will work, mentioning turbos when it is a supercharger.

Correct. Sorry about the continued thread slide WRT turbo's.

Offline Mac

• Just got out of prison
  • Motorcycles: none
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 11:41:23 PM »
Finally, power at high altitudes!!
May I mambo dogface to the banana patch?

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 12:50:39 AM »
Finally, power at high altitudes!!

LOL - I'm reading an article in PopSci where they're talking about finally having consistent power at the Pike's Peak race. IC engines, it appears, lose about 30% power from start to finish due to thinning air - but - one power mode is even the whole route - electrons packed into batteries...

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2013-09/colorado-racecourse-electric-cars-are-new-performance-vehicles

(sorry about the threadjack to a nice Kawi motor)