Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just anther ride...  (Read 2477 times)

Offline BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
Just anther ride...
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »
Vern and I decided to do a bit of scouting…scouting of some of our favorite roads!

The morning was cool and I was surprised that I had my e-vest on for most of the day.  My aged BMW Vest does a darn good job keeping the bitterness of the day at bay…and yet some day soon I know I'll be springing for a full e-jacket.

After the obligatory initial Starbucks ride we set out to find the following roads:  ACH, Big T, Spunky, Bouquet, Lake Hodges, Pine Valley, Cerro Noreste, Cerro in reverse, Mount Pinion and home…about 350 miles…of absolutely heavenly goodness.

I laughed as we pulled out from the Starbucks - the Arrow exhaust booming it's nasty rap melody and we found ourselves in roads nearly abandoned by the cold.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I love this time of the year.  The roads are mostly clear…LEO activity is at a minimum…traffic is light…the shadows cast by the low light make wonderful contrast and the colors just pop.

Condors - seriously cool birds that are ugly as sin.  I remember one Monterey ride where we found ourselves pulling into a turnout with SIX of the buggers sitting on a piece of road surfacing machinery.  Massive 8' wingspans…all I could think of was "damn, that's a helluva Bird".  Pity there are so few.  More pity that the greenies have used this creature to ban lead bullets for hunting in California…especially when the real culprit was leaded gas in cars back in the day. 

Cerro is just one of those roads.  The rhythm, the feel of good asphalt.  A thought kept creeping into my head:  "So, Rossi shows up at your house with a trailer full of spec bikes and asks 'So-a, where-a do-a youse and your freends wants to ride today?"

Yeah, Cerro Noreste.  The Fast 400 roads.  And I can just hear him in the background at the end of it all…  "Itsa like…Faaaaaaaak"

What a great day to be out!
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Offline Hovmaven

Re: Just anther ride...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:10:41 PM »
neat.  I like the absence of insects on my faceshield. . ..

just because i'm curious, what constitutes "cold" below the Orange Curtain?   :bigok:

Offline BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »
just because i'm curious, what constitutes "cold" below the Orange Curtain?   :bigok:

Anything in the 50's… 

Or, where even the toughest hotties resort to 1 piece bathing suits…   ;D
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Offline MisterSmooth

• Motorcycles: Stealth Gray BMW K1300S, Glittering Yellow Aprilia RSV4
Just anther ride...
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 05:13:55 PM »
ACH, that makes sense.  But "Spunky"??         :headscratch:   You and Vern enjoyed the twisty goodness of a road called "Spunky"???    :lol:
I hear that running is good for you, but the ice cubes keep falling out of my glass.

Offline miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »
Spunky Canyon Rd is the one that ate Rogue's pretty red VFR when Jake rode with us on his way back from Mexico
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »
Spunky is a short, but very technical little road between Bouquet, and San Francisquito. From the Bouquet end it starts with some straights, and sweepers with views of the reservoir then quickly throws a series of decreasers at you with lots of elevation change, and few off-camber thrown in for good measure. Not for newbies on litre bikes.

Offline Hovmaven

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 12:37:25 AM »

Anything in the 50's… 

Or, where even the toughest hotties resort to 1 piece bathing suits…   ;D

You have it rough. . ..   :bigok: