Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moving to Colorado?  (Read 52160 times)

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
Re: Moving to Colorado?
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »
Quote from: Jim
Did you take a walk around Bear Lake (RMNP)?  It's doable. The lake's frozen (was last week) and the trail is only visible in spots (3-4 feet of hard packed snow on top). Pretty area though. Consider it if timing allows.

Didnt see it yet.  We'll be back in the area though later this month.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »
Off to Durango tomorrow to look at homes there.   Today was productive - looked at one place outside Ft. Collins in a little kinda rednecky neighborhood with a huge garage/workshop, chock full of bikes.  One part of the workshop was done up weird, with reflective covering on the walls and hooks in the ceiling.  When I mentioned it, the kindly little grandma who still lived there just rolled her eyes and said "Oh, the people who lived here before used to grow pot."  :lol:

Second place west of Loveland near Carter Lake ticked all the boxes.  Like the one in Estes Park but w/o asbestos and in much better shape.   Beautiful mountain views, huge garage & workshop, a little more land too.  I think if we settle on the Front Range that'd be the one.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2015, 06:11:15 PM »
Second place west of Loveland near Carter Lake ticked all the boxes.  Like the one in Estes Park but w/o asbestos and in much better shape.   Beautiful mountain views, huge garage & workshop, a little more land too.  I think if we settle on the Front Range that'd be the one.

Sounds good.

If you might need a resource in that area (general Q's and such), two clients nearby - one up by Pinewood Reservoir and one south north of Carter.

Enjoy the trip to Durango (& Durango!). Will you two be taking the steam train out of Durango for a day trip?
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 07:12:50 PM »

Sounds good.

If you might need a resource in that area (general Q's and such), two clients nearby - one up by Pinewood Reservoir and one south north of Carter.

Enjoy the trip to Durango (& Durango!). Will you two be taking the steam train out of Durango for a day trip?

Thanks for the offer.  Not sure, is the train running yet? In any event our realtor there's got a pretty aggressive schedule--he initially wanted to show us seven houses in a day. :P

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »
Hit a rock on the hwy coming into Durango yesterday.  Bent rim; limping around on the iffy temp now.  No shops found in the area that'll mess with an aluminum rim.  Gotta wait til Saturday for a replacement to get here. :-\

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »
I can think of worse places to be stuck.  ;)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
Take the time to ride the train Silverton and back.   ;)
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2015, 05:16:24 PM »

That's something I've been wanting to do.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline expatbrit

• Big Lad At the Back
    • ExpatBrit
  • Motorcycles: KTM RC8R, MTS1200S, WR250X, Daytona 675
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »

I've still never done that! Keep meaning too...
https://www.expatbrit.org -- adventures in racing and cycling

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »

You have one closer to you in Chama. It's a good one too.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2015, 06:47:51 PM »
Making an offer tonight.  Trip might end sooner than expected.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2015, 12:43:08 PM »
Making an offer tonight.  Trip might end sooner than expected.

Expected counteroffer within parameters.   :wings:

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »
Durango? I would be highly jealous and a regular visitor. I'm out there at least twice a year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »
Durango? I would be highly jealous and a regular visitor. I'm out there at least twice a year.

Nope - the one west of Loveland.  Durango is nice; the realtor we worked with here is super.  Of the seven properties we looked at here two came close to ticking all the boxes.  But neither of them had the scenic views & are priced higher than the Loveland property.  The Loveland place is also nearly 2K feet lower in  elevation than the Durango ones, but still on a mountainside.  Also, Rue's got the most family connections back home, so being able to get to DIA in an hour or so is a plus.  And my experience of waiting days for a replacement wheel rim to get shipped here from Denver was... informative.

But if/when we settle and move (fingers crossed), regular visitors will be most welcome.   :bigok:

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »
What a great area!  I'm so envious.  Congrats!
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2015, 08:32:13 PM »
It sounds like things are working well for you - great news!

And my experience of waiting days for a replacement wheel rim to get shipped here from Denver was... informative.

This was my thought when you mentioned rim issues / having to wait. When I considered Durango I came to the conclusion "one must really love the outdoors (away from the "stuff" of civilization) to choose to live there as the "outdoors" is all that's there (though quite grand and tempting)."
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »

You have one closer to you in Chama. It's a good one too.

Unsolicited comment regarding the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad (Antonito - Chama): There are four different rides offered. My recommended ride is the "through" ride from Antonito CO to Chama NM as there's a nice build-up in scenery. The eastern end sets the wide open, un-tamed land of "old west" that increases in scenery value as the day progresses.

The four routes is only via one train line with a train starting from each end. You start at either end and meet in the middle at a remote, scenic area lunch building. If you're a through rider you continue the ride to the other end. If you're an out-n-back, you change trains and return to your origination station. The through riders get bussed back to the other end. The ?6 hour? train ride is about 1 hour via the bus.

Durango & Silverton is my "top ride" in the state while the Cumbres & Toltec - east to west - is second as it made me feel I was living in the rural / old west (a train robbery would have been curious!).

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2015, 06:18:04 PM »
Tammy & I are dropping our GSA's off to a shipper tomorrow - we'll pick them up in Denver when we fly out next week to close on the house outside Loveland.  I'll stay in CO for a few more days to putter around and get some furniture ordered & delivered.   We'll trailer Rue's F700GS and my Dorsoduro out with us when we do the big move.  Been steadily downsizing the household in MD; big yard sale this weekend.  We should have minimal stuff to ship out there.  Had to part ways today with our current realtor who just wasn't gettin' it done; got one more to interview tomorrow then we'll have it back on market.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2015, 06:43:02 PM »
Sweet!

If I can assist in any way, just holler. Fort Collins / Loveland are sister cities and I'm in Loveland a time or two per week (so I might be able to answer some Q's should they come up).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:22:02 PM by Jim »

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
Sweet!

If I can assist in any way, just holler. Fort Collins / Loveland are sister cities and I'm in Loveland a time or two per week (so I might be able to answer some Q's should they come up).

Thanks Jim.  We'll need to meet up for food & drink anyways if/when time permits.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2015, 07:25:53 PM »
Sweet!

Thanks Jim.  We'll need to meet up for food & drink anyways if/when time permits.

Jim's a good guy. It's Justin and Not Carl you have to worry about.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »
Sweet!

Jim's a good guy. It's Justin and Not Carl you have to worry about.

Writing that down... 8)

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2015, 11:25:50 AM »
WHEW, not on the list of reprobates. Don't listen to my PO or wife.

(if you need anything, let me know as well. Have pickup, can travel, and I'm only 15 min away from Loveland).

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »
Great news Scratch!!!  If you need a referral for a listing agent, let me know.  The one we used was a real pit bull.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2015, 04:26:18 PM »
WHEW, not on the list of reprobates. Don't listen to my PO or wife.

(if you need anything, let me know as well. Have pickup, can travel, and I'm only 15 min away from Loveland).

LT

Thanks! 

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »
Great news Scratch!!!  If you need a referral for a listing agent, let me know.  The one we used was a real pit bull.

Much appreciated.  We met & talked with 3 different realtors in the last week and think we've settled on the one we're going forward with.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2015, 06:00:04 PM »
>:( 

Lender fucked up and hasn't gotten the appraisal of the CO house done in time.  Pushed the closing date back a week; had to change all our flight & hotel reservations.  Won't be getting out there until 5/20 now.  Our GSA's arrived in Denver today - hopefully they'll start with no fuss.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2015, 06:20:31 PM »
Well, as a courtesy, I can trek down there and pull one bike out of storage and "keep it warmed up for'ya" for the week...

Honest, I won't put more than 20...  200...  999 miles on it!

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2015, 06:28:55 PM »
Well, as a courtesy, I can trek down there and pull one bike out of storage and "keep it warmed up for'ya" for the week...

I'll mail ya Tammy's key.  :)

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2015, 09:01:38 PM »

I'll mail ya Tammy's key.  :)

I know where Jim's headed.  :banana: :chili: :banana: :chili:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2015, 09:37:39 PM »
I'm not sure I know what destination you're talking about (in this next week) but I'll just say, I'm HAPPY to go ANYWHERE...   -on-a-bike-  ...ANY-BIKE!!!

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »
And now the listing agent's made my shit list. 

Last week they stated the roof was replaced within the last five years  This week, the roof somehow mysteriously aged to eleven years.  That makes a $light bit of difference to insurers...  >:(

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2015, 08:46:29 AM »
We'll be in the market for a decent used pickup truck when we get out to Loveland next week.  If youse local peeps know of any for sale and/or can recommend a reputable dealership in the area (or ones to avoid), we'd appreciate it.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2015, 08:56:36 AM »
And now the listing agent's made my shit list. 

Last week they stated the roof was replaced within the last five years  This week, the roof somehow mysteriously aged to eleven years.  That makes a $light bit of difference to insurers...  >:(

The agents are scrambling around trying to find a "sight unseen very rough guesstimate" for a replacement roof.  The one they just sent me from their FOAF roofer comes up a couple hundred $ less than I paid last year for my roof that's 700SF smaller.  What a deal!! :lol:

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2015, 10:25:09 AM »

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »
Just got an email from the mortgage company asking for additional information.  Among the things they wanted me to provide them is an explanation for recent credit inquiries -- the only recent credit inquiry listed is the one they themselves did. 

Still had to sign the form and send it back.   Kafka would be proud.  :clap:

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2015, 10:27:14 AM »

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2015, 10:32:41 AM »
`most welcome.

(easy to do, t'is the right thing to do, glad to help)

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2015, 11:16:19 AM »
Just got an email from the mortgage company asking for additional information.  Among the things they wanted me to provide them is an explanation for recent credit inquiries -- the only recent credit inquiry listed is the one they themselves did. 

Still had to sign the form and send it back.   Kafka would be proud.  :clap:

good luck, going through the same thing here >:(
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2015, 10:24:17 PM »
Patrolman, who finds some interesting things, asks...

Do they have a price range? Make preferences? Manual or automatic?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:43:01 PM by Jim »

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2015, 06:51:24 AM »
Patrolman, who finds some interesting things, asks...

Do they have a price range? Make preferences? Manual or automatic?

Price range $12K or less, 1999 or newer with preferably under 130K miles, AWD, no pref as to manual or auto. 

I lean towards F150's myself but this would be Tammy's truck. 

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2015, 07:22:55 AM »

Lender fucked up and hasn't gotten the appraisal of the CO house done in time.  Pushed the closing date back a week; had to change all our flight & hotel reservations.  Won't be getting out there until 5/20 now.  Our GSA's arrived in Denver today - hopefully they'll start with no fuss.

The plot thickens.  Depending on who I talk to at the lender it's not that the appraisal wasn't done on time, rather that the appraisers (plural) they've contacted are having problems because the house is manufactured (HUD code, built in the 90's), on a permanent foundation, with a basement, and they can't find comps.  And supposedly at this late stage it's a total surprise to the lender that it's a manufactured house and they don't even know whether they'll finance it.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2015, 08:27:10 AM »

The plot thickens.  Depending on who I talk to at the lender it's not that the appraisal wasn't done on time, rather that the appraisers (plural) they've contacted are having problems because the house is manufactured (HUD code, built in the 90's), on a permanent foundation, with a basement, and they can't find comps.  And supposedly at this late stage it's a total surprise to the lender that it's a manufactured house and they don't even know whether they'll finance it.

My sympathies. I felt your pain. I just sold my manufactured house. They comped it with mobile homes, and foreclosures. Manufactured just means it's built on a jig, offsite. It has no wheels, is 2X6 construction, had a full basement, an attic, etc.
It did surprise some, most people didn't know it wasn't stick built, but the banks  should know the difference.
Hang in there.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2015, 09:23:19 AM »

My sympathies. I felt your pain. I just sold my manufactured house. They comped it with mobile homes, and foreclosures. Manufactured just means it's built on a jig, offsite. It has no wheels, is 2X6 construction, had a full basement, an attic, etc.
It did surprise some, most people didn't know it wasn't stick built, but the banks  should know the difference.
Hang in there.

Official county records show it as having been built modular then the title was "purged" (I'm sure you're familiar with that term/process).  Seems up until an appraiser actually laid eyeballs on it, the lender didn't check any further than the info the listing agent provided them which describes it only as 'residential-detached'.

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:03 AM »
Good luck.  We ran into some issues w/ banks financing a construction loan for a modular.  Some banks just avoid that word because they are associated w/ doublewides.  We kept searching until we found a local lender that worked with local folks that knew exactly what was up.  Seemless after that.  :)
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2015, 09:38:55 AM »
Seems up until an appraiser actually laid eyeballs on it, the lender didn't check any further than the info the listing agent provided them which describes it only as 'residential-detached'.

My first appraiser never even laid eyes on it. He phoned it in. We had a fit. Within 1/4 mile of me, I had houses that sold for 35k and 1.5M. Things out there for lenders is pretty weird since the housing bust. Our buyers changes lenders to a local outfit just so the appraisal would come in correct.
Where am I?

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2015, 09:47:43 AM »
And I might very well wind up having to switch to a local lender, as opposed to the one here I've banked with for over 25 years and financed my current home through.  If it comes down to that I'll happily pull every red cent out of my accounts and tell them where to stick it. :fitz:

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2015, 09:55:59 AM »
It sounds like it will be more painful than it probably will be.  The local bank, while somewhat comical from a modern lender perspective, was an absolute dream to deal with.  They approved our mortgage in 24 hours, they had local contacts and knew the appraisers, knew the excavator and well guy we used, and because of the location, they were fully aware of the difference between a typical doublewide and a really well made modular.  Everything was easy, friendly and completely devoid of political or bureaucratic poo.  We cringed at the thought of a po dunk bank but it turned out to be the best part of the whole process. 

Good luck.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2015, 09:58:54 AM »
It sounds like it will be more painful than it probably will be.  The local bank, while somewhat comical from a modern lender perspective, was an absolute dream to deal with.  They approved our mortgage in 24 hours, they had local contacts and knew the appraisers, knew the excavator and well guy we used, and because of the location, they were fully aware of the difference between a typical doublewide and a really well made modular.  Everything was easy, friendly and completely devoid of political or bureaucratic poo.  We cringed at the thought of a po dunk bank but it turned out to be the best part of the whole process. 

Good luck.

My/our experience exactly.
Where am I?

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2015, 06:50:53 AM »
Not entirely unexpectedly, I got a call then an email from the loan wonk 5 minutes before her office closed for the weekend, informing me they couldn't/wouldn't finance "due property type and limited comparable sales".  I did fire off a terse-but-polite email back to her and others higher up the chain, inquiring about their procedures for identifying property type in order to catch obvious stuff like this before the process goes to the nth degree, which I suspect will never be responded to.

Already in contact with a couple local lenders though.