Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moving to Colorado?  (Read 52158 times)

Offline Jim

• Contributor
Re: Moving to Colorado?
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »
Hmmm...  First ride...

Head west up US-34 / Big Thompson Canyon to Estes (Park). Perhaps down to Lyons from Estes on 36, then back up from Lyons on CO-7 / St. Vrain Canyon (my most desired canyon road in the area), then south on the Peak to Peak to almost I-70 then back up on CO-72, north on the P2P to the top of the St. Vrain canyon then head down it.

A long day. Easily shortened as desires fit.

The two "loops" would be CCW (my pref - head up the nice canyons)

Google Map

Or, going for something else.  CW or CCW does not matter much. CW a bit preferred for some stunning impact of Horsetooth Reservoir. Once on CO-14 (the east / west at the top of the loop), "the Mish"-awaka is an on the river (outside deck is nice) sammich stop. You can also extend the trip west up the Poudre Canyon (CO-14) to make the trip longer. If you extend west about 5 miles you'll run through the upper/larger "narrows".

Google Map
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:20:03 PM by Jim »
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2015, 07:25:29 PM »
Thanks Jim!  We drove by Horsetooth Reservoir a couple days ago; want to see more of it definitely. 

Our first ride's probably gonna be short & easy.   Haven't ridden in quite a while, and all this moving's done a number on our bods. 

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2015, 07:47:18 PM »
You'll eventually do CO 14. I highly recommend it.

I also highly recommend y'all hook up with Jim. He's the bomb-diggity when it comes to northern Colorado roads and he's a genuinely nice guy.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2015, 08:11:36 PM »
You'll eventually do CO 14. I highly recommend it.

I also highly recommend y'all hook up with Jim. He's the bomb-diggity when it comes to northern Colorado roads and he's a genuinely nice guy.

Well riding or not we all need to get together for dinner some day soon.

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2015, 08:13:45 PM »
WHOA youz guyz done good!  :thumbsup:

So when's the First ST.O Barb-B-Q?  :bigsmile:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »

Soon as I catch that mouse.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »

I hear Clay has some extra cats.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »

I hear Clay has some extra cats.

I'd love to have my cat here.  She'd make short work of the mice, then start on the rabbits, then sit and size up the deer.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2015, 09:44:06 PM »
Nature cam of the next door neighbor of a jeep'r living in Evergreen CO

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty

While you're not in the mountains, you are rather close.

What's that low growl from under the spacious deck?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2015, 11:00:32 PM »
Never mind my cat - I want that one!

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2015, 06:28:52 AM »
Never mind my cat - I want that one!

Do you realize how big the litter box would have to be?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2015, 07:23:01 AM »

Is the garage big enough...? You'll probably need to add-on to it in order to get all the bike in safely.   ;D

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2015, 07:23:19 AM »
Oh... and congrats again...

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2015, 09:46:02 AM »
Is the garage big enough...? You'll probably need to add-on to it in order to get all the bike in safely.   ;D

Cavernous.  Haven't gotten to unpacking tools 'n stuff yet in favor of getting the house set up, will post up more pics when we do.  The lift works; gotta rig up some kind of MC platform for it.  One of the garage door openers is wonky - a minor inconvenience IMO.   

House has some quirks.  Both the garage exterior lights and an obnoxiously bright & powerful security light at the end of the house are hard-wired, activated by photo cells; no way to switch them off at night.  I contacted the former owner about that and he confirmed, w/o explanation (our interactions weren't exactly cozy during the buying process).  :shrug:  Prolly have to get an electrician in here to do some modding.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2015, 12:28:31 PM »
.22 should do it.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Acadian Rider

• Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2015, 06:31:57 PM »
Hey Scratch, it must be nice to be able to pack up and move just like that. I'm jealous.   

Even though I was not technically in Loveland last year, I was pretty close (Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park).  Did I mention that I was jealous? 

I'll be fully retired by this time next year (April 11, 2016) but I'm afraid that packing up and moving out west would not get Sue's approval with the kids and grandkids all living within 5 munutes of us.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »
Hey Scratch, it must be nice to be able to pack up and move just like that. I'm jealous.   

Even though I was not technically in Loveland last year, I was pretty close (Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park).  Did I mention that I was jealous? 

I'll be fully retired by this time next year (April 11, 2016) but I'm afraid that packing up and moving out west would not get Sue's approval with the kids and grandkids all living within 5 munutes of us.

Well if you ever get tired of family, head down my way for a spell.  :bigok:

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2015, 06:40:54 PM »
Well, our 'short & easy' inaugural putt yesterday on the GSA's turned out to be 9 hours and 270 miles.  Just kinda got caught up in the ride and found ourselves in Estes Park, then RMNP, then Grand Lake for a forgettable lunch and a brief downpour, then we slabbed home via 40/70 'cuz it was getting late in the day.  Road were pretty crowded it being a Saturday; our next ride will prolly be on a weekday instead. 

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »
WOW - a pretty stunning day, eh? Yeah - you're retired, right? Week days open up a lot of possibilities.  :bigok:
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2015, 07:19:26 PM »
Yeah - you're retired, right? Week days open up a lot of possibilities.  :bigok:

And no pets to feed (other than a ghost cat).  Makes overnighters easy peasy.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »
Well, our 'short & easy' inaugural putt yesterday on the GSA's turned out to be 9 hours and 270 miles.  Just kinda got caught up in the ride and found ourselves in Estes Park, then RMNP, then Grand Lake for a forgettable lunch and a brief downpour, then we slabbed home via 40/70 'cuz it was getting late in the day.  Road were pretty crowded it being a Saturday; our next ride will prolly be on a weekday instead.

SWEET!  Nice pix too!

(note: please don't take the below as any sort of lecture. I simply am not a fan of a "pleasure ride" on a freeway around Denver and I enjoy thinking of this stuff / routing / more enjoyable options)

Everything sounded good until the "slabbed home on 70" (and probably I-25 North) (ugh, sorry).

So, next time, you'll think - what are my options?

Not too many roads cross the Continental Divide in our area (heck - I can't think of a single motorized single-track / two-track trail that crosses it). I-70, US-34 through RMNP (when it's open), CO-14 (rarely closes), and via Laramie WY. The easy answer would be to backtrack through the park. Darned scenic and hopefully not choked with traffic. You also could have taken 70 east to the Peak To Peak and headed north and dropped down any canyon and taken US-36 or 287 home.

The "other" way would be to stay north and stay rural!

Via north, you'd continue from Grand Lake south to 40 and jog west a couple miles and then turn north up CO-125 to Walden (fine twisty riding the first 1/2 of that segment on 125!). From Walden you'd have a decision - the scenic CO-14 eastward over Cameron Pass but on a weekend it could have RV traffic with few passing spots - OR - if you're looking for "easy" continue up to Laramie WY. Heading up to Laramie vs. taking I-70 might seem crazy, but once you turn up CO-125, the roads are free flowing with scant traffic (CO-14 the wild card).

If considering an CO-125 to CO-14 route via Walden, if you have thicker dual-sport tires (some lose, sharp rocks in the "gravel"), there is County road 27 at Rand that cuts over to CO-14 just north of Gould. It's slower than the asphalt route via Walden but does shave some miles (Walden has two gas stations, likely 24 hour fuel). County road 27 is easy to follow as it's the "big road" through the area. There is one nice vista point / look out (westerly) that is a decent stop if you take 27. Time, maybe about the same time as going up to Walden and back down to Gould.

Google says - Grand Lake to Loveland is...
via RMNP: 74m / 2h (toll for most, free for you!)
via I-70: 151m / 3h
via CO-14: 171m / 4h
via Laramie WY: 210m / 4h

Ah, well, rant over. Enjoy getting to know the area!

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2015, 10:15:47 PM »
Thanks for the tips Jim.   We did consider 125 to 14 but decided to ride that another day, when we had more time; traffic back through RMNP and Estes was also pretty gnarly.  We needed to get back home and have enough energy left to make dinner.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2015, 07:20:33 PM »
Or, going for something else.  CW or CCW does not matter much. CW a bit preferred for some stunning impact of Horsetooth Reservoir. Once on CO-14 (the east / west at the top of the loop), "the Mish"-awaka is an on the river (outside deck is nice) sammich stop. You can also extend the trip west up the Poudre Canyon (CO-14) to make the trip longer. If you extend west about 5 miles you'll run through the upper/larger "narrows".

Google Map

Did this loop today.  I rode the Dorso and Tammy rode Rue's F700GS.  Nice ride - we want to go back and explore Rist Canyon Road.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2015, 09:47:45 PM »
Nice ride - we want to go back and explore Rist Canyon Road.

It's an easy one to enjoy!

If you encountered Rist Canyon while you were "in the hills" at the 4-way intersection where Rist Canyon calls you on the straight that goes UP into the hills to the east, then that's a nice place to be. If you go west from the intersection, you'll have about 3 to 5 miles of reasonable county road (Old Flowers Road) and then it turns into a forest service road (Old Flowers Road). The first three to five miles is decently scenic and worth a down-n-back if you've yet to run it (doable in the family sedan). The "trail" is currently closed due to flooding / reconstruction work. TrailDamage.com is a go-to site for trail info:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=187

If you're at the intersection and wish some of the interesting parts of Rist Canyon - head east and up the long haul and hop down the eastern side - you'll have 2 or 4 harpins before is straightens out. You could process the steep up and hairpins then turn around - that'd be a nice "shortie" for Rist. Of note, if you're at the peak/pass of Rist (between the western straight up and hairpins down on the eastern slope), head south on the county gravel for about 2 or 3 miles - you'll end at a mountaintop that's filled with radio/tv towers (open to drive up and turn around). There are decent views to the east just below the tower site.

Intersection - western end of Rist Canyon to Old Flowers Road trail (3.3 miles of county road)

Also recommended is 44H to Pingree Park...
www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2015-05-17--afternoon-ride--44h/

Lots to enjoy!  Have fun!

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »
Today Tammy & I had a nice 150 mile ride on the GSA's, up to Red Feather Lakes for lunch; then back down to Rist Canyon Road; then we stopped in at Moto Italia in Fort Collins to order some parts & schedule some service.  Weather was perfect, the dirt roads we found were easy and pretty much dried out.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:46:31 PM by Scratch »

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2015, 07:35:05 PM »
Y'all appear to be settling in nicely. Good for you.  :bigok:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2015, 01:24:01 AM »
Good times!

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2015, 05:48:51 PM »
Tammy got her GSA back from a 36k service at Moto Italia today.  Tomorrow we're riding out to Meeker via the Flat Tops Trail Scenic Byway; then mebbe down to Durango on Thursday.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2015, 06:59:34 PM »
Flat Tops Trail - that's a new name - thanks!

If you consider Durango, a WONDERFUL diversion route is via Gateway to Naturita CO (my top motorcycle road in the state) instead of US-550 through Montrose. The car museum at Gateway is good (and a solid consideration for an overnight/weekend is the resort in Gateway, though $$$).

http://www.gatewaycanyons.com/gateway-auto-museum.aspx

http://www.gatewaycanyons.com/

You'll have plenty to see out there... trip report?

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2015, 07:53:54 PM »
It looks like you're fitting in well to your new surroundings.
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »
Flat Tops Trail - that's a new name - thanks!

If you consider Durango, a WONDERFUL diversion route is via Gateway to Naturita CO (my top motorcycle road in the state) instead of US-550 through Montrose.

141 is an excellent road, thanks Jim!  Lots of great scenery through the canyons.  Last night in Meeker we ate at a restaurant seated next to a table of ADV'ers.  Good conversation.  From Meeker this a.m. we rode west on 64 to Rangely, then south down 139 to GJ, then 141 south to Naturita.  We chose to save Durango for another trip in favor of stopping for the day at Montrose. 

While gassing up in Naturita, looking at the map County Road 90 through Uncompahgre NF caught my interest as a route east to Montrose, so we decided to ride it.   In hindsight I'll just say a GSA wouldn't be my first choice of bike for that road, but we made it dammit.  :P

Pics forthcoming - right now dinner and margaritas.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2015, 07:54:27 PM »
Love me some 141!!!!

Did you stop at the one overlook into the canyon and see the crashed cars down on the floor?    :o

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2015, 08:12:25 PM »
Did you stop at the one overlook into the canyon and see the crashed cars down on the floor?    :o

Missed that.   You should come out here and show us.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2015, 08:44:50 PM »
Oh BTW, got a contract on the house back in MD.  Wish me luck.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
Love me some 141!!!!

Huh - I'll have to check that out next time through.

I did get water at the artesian well water box about here on the map (no illness):
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4651396,-108.87343,116m/data=!3m1!1e3

141 is an excellent road, thanks Jim!  Lots of great scenery through the canyons.  Last night in Meeker we ate at a restaurant seated next to a table of ADV'ers.  Good conversation.  From Meeker this a.m. we rode west on 64 to Rangely, then south down 139 to GJ, then 141 south to Naturita.  We chose to save Durango for another trip in favor of stopping for the day at Montrose. 

While gassing up in Naturita, looking at the map County Road 90 through Uncompahgre NF caught my interest as a route east to Montrose, so we decided to ride it.   In hindsight I'll just say a GSA wouldn't be my first choice of bike for that road, but we made it dammit.  :P

Pics forthcoming - right now dinner and margaritas.

I like Douglas Pass when you ride south on 139 from Rangely... nice green valley wall riding then BAM stellar, pass drop-off scenery as the views open!  The south side of the pass, on the canyon floor can be a fun 2-lane twisty (but it's been a few years). Thx for the info on going up-n-over the Uncompahgre. I'll be riding up there early Aug (never been - now I might expect a rougher road from the comment).

Look'n forward to pix!

What's next for this trip?

GLW MD Sale!!

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2015, 09:09:28 PM »
So what you're saying is you haven't done 92 or 149.  :nuts:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #186 on: July 23, 2015, 10:17:25 PM »

KS: Don't know if you're pointing the crazy at me, though it's totally fine if you are. To each our own... I've done both (though 149 only in the car). 141's tops in my book for a nice MC road. Few driveways. Wiley-Coyote / Road Runner scenery. Lowish traffic (somewhat remote).

92 and 149 are on my BAM-CO list... Scratch, if you've not downloaded the two files, you might find them of interest.
www.JimWilliamson.net/motorcycle/CO-What-To-Do-map.jpg
www.JimWilliamson.net/motorcycle/CO-What-To-Do-text.txt

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2015, 05:08:03 AM »
Love me some 141!!!!

Huh - I'll have to check that out next time through.

I'm trying to find my pictures of it.  This site references them and I saw this episode on TV and they showed them.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/gateway-colorado-042315

I believe the cars are near this scenic overlook area.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »

KS: Don't know if you're pointing the crazy at me, though it's totally fine if you are.

92 and 149 are on my BAM-CO list... Scratch, if you've not downloaded the two files, you might find them of interest.
www.JimWilliamson.net/motorcycle/CO-What-To-Do-map.jpg
www.JimWilliamson.net/motorcycle/CO-What-To-Do-text.txt

Not at you Jim. You are the go to for traveling Colorado.  :hail:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2015, 10:17:05 AM »

If you choose to put it that way.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2015, 10:17:45 AM »

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »
Pics. 

Flat Tops Trail (aka County Road 8) from Yampas to Meeker is a wide, unpaved hardpacked road.  The eastern half of the trail has an unwelcome layer of gravel that made slow going for us two street riders.  But the scenery was beautiful.  That's Vaughn Lake in the 3rd photo.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2015, 02:42:29 PM »
2nd day's ride, from Meeker west to Rangely; then south to Naturita; then east to Montrose.

Offline Redfox

• Location: Beneath the sacred mountains or Beside the legendary fountain
  • Whiney girly GSA rider
  • Motorcycles: 08 GSA and maybe soon an airhead
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »
The third picture from the end has a view through the windshield of geological formations. What is the geological name for these? Bluff? Butte? These were quite spectacular.
The cheap thrills always seem to fade away...

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
Thanks for the nice scenery!

Any thoughts as to where this was? I see a road on the hillside...

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »

Tuscany.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2015, 03:54:02 PM »

Jim - I want to say that was on 139, about 34 miles south of Rangely.  Douglas Pass?

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2015, 04:13:49 PM »
Tuscany.

Then, I guess, when the Bearing Strait freezes over again, I'll ride a bike to Tuscany!

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »

Jim - I want to say that was on 139, about 34 miles south of Rangely.  Douglas Pass?

Huh - I guess I'll have to visit again (only been there once). Thx!

Where's your next trip to be? (are you back yet or still rambling about?)

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2015, 04:18:27 PM »
Here's another bigger pic w/o the foreground shrubbery.