Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moving to Colorado?  (Read 52157 times)

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
Moving to Colorado?
« on: December 08, 2014, 01:24:26 PM »
Looking for recommendations.

Rue & I spent a couple days riding around in the Centennial State during our latest cross-country trip a couple months back.  We stopped in Pueblo, Denver, Steamboat Springs and Durango.  Thoroughly enjoyed it; so much in fact that week before last Tammy & I flew back out and spent four days exploring (by cage this time) around Denver, Grand Junction, Durango & Aurora. 

We've talked for years about moving somewhere out west - mainly for the riding.  Come next spring we'll all be retired and free to relocate.  We've lived in Maryland most of our lives and in the Annapolis area for decades.  It's a great town, OTOH the water sports period of our lives is over and we've kinda  fished out the regional riding 'pond'. 

Location-wise in Colorado, we'd like to wind up in or just outside a moderate-sized town (Annapolis for instance has a population of about 37K); one with a decent variety of restaurants (we're foodies), a brewpub or two; and some sort of music & arts scene.  We're not concerned about schools or churches; keen however on having a good hospital nearby, particularly one with an on-the-ball oncology department (should the need arise again). 

House-wise we'd be looking for something in the 3-4 bedroom, $350K or less range.  A non-HOA neighborhood (if any), with folks who tend to mind their own biz.  It'd be nice to have something with a little bit of acreage -  "little" being like 3 or so -- we're not looking to farm or ranch but if someone dropped some chickens on us to raise it'd be okay.  A garage, workshop, barn or other kind of outbuilding for our bikes (5 at last count) and related tools/equipment is a must.  We're mildly into the shooting sports so a range nearby (or plinking space) would be a plus as well.

Being kinda up there in years I don't expect any of us to develop an interest in physical winter sports like skiing or snowboarding.  Walking & hiking, yes; bicycling probably, and snowmobiling looks attractive though we haven't yet tried it.  A town with a decent wrench nearabouts who knows their way around BMW's would be a real plus.  By all means, wherever we wind up needs to be within an hour or so's ride to great twisty windy roads. 

Thus far, of all the places we've visited for any length of time Durango has interested us the most (particularly since one of us is a train fanatic). I'm sure though there are some other towns in CO around the same size, that offer similar amenities.   Any suggestions and advice from forum members who live there or have relocated there would be greatly appreciated.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Re: Moving to Colorado?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »
Wow, you'll be placed in the middle of riding heaven.  Good luck with the move and I hope we'll still see you here in the east!
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »
you'll need a bag of chips or two ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »
you'll need a bag of chips or two ;)

A new meaning to Mile High    ;)

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 05:53:10 PM »
Having grown up in Colorado, the really key thing you need to understand is your tolerance for snow.  Some parts of the state get a lot in the mountains (Durango is expensive and has a long winter as I recall)  while the front rage is far more moderate.

Cools places I'd check out are Golden/Idaho springs, Evergreen quite a bit outside Denver ( more Annapolis like), Salida, Montrose, Gunnison more centrally.

I was thinking Flagstaff AZ would be a good choice when I get there myself in 10 years or so as well.

Be interested to see where you land.  Keep us posted on the search.
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »
I relocated from Illinois to Fort Collins CO in 2007. Durango, Montrose, Longmont, Loveland Fort Collins were on my cities to check out list.

(I like real trains too - and have been on several in the state, Including the D&S - but I don't think it'd be enough to keep me living in Durango.)

I'll give more info later, but I'd summarize Durango as this: One must really like the outdoors to live in Durango as that's what's around - a whole lot of nature. There's scant little for "city stuff". If you're foodies, I'd question if Durango has much (I really don't know either way).
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »
Cools places I'd check out are Golden/Idaho springs, Evergreen quite a bit outside Denver ( more Annapolis like), Salida, Montrose, Gunnison more centrally.

I relocated from Illinois to Fort Collins CO in 2007. Durango, Montrose, Longmont, Loveland Fort Collins were on my cities to check out list.

Thanks guys - been looking at a couple of those places. 

I'd welcome more info on Fort Collins, Jim.  Lots of people have recommended it.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 12:45:28 AM »
Background: `lived in Rockford Illinois most of my life. Northern Illinois has a lot of GREEN in the summertime. Medium to perhaps medium-low for humidity in the summertime. Average temps & sun. Average bugs. A summertime rain would be horizon to horizon grey clouds for a day or two with the region getting wet. Wintertime could easily see many, consecutive, days of 100% grey sky. When it snowed, the area needed to be shoveled or the snow would pack and stay for most of the winter. In the winter, I typically/always wore a coat in the daily routine of walking from car to office visit / client site. Daily temp swing is typically 20F (as I recall, stats might prove it to be ~25F).

Back around 1992 I came close to moving to Colorado Springs. I visited the area for three days and decided against it for these reasons: I visited over the Christmas/New Year break and the amount of smog sitting in "the bowl" (as I saw it) that the city sat in made me shy away. Additionally, I wondered how stable the economy would be if the government would pull out / have severe cutbacks.

Move ahead to 2007: The decision to relocate to Colorado was set. I used CityData and reviewed town sizes (Rockford IL was about 150K and with surrounding (Loves Park, Machesney Park, Cherry Valley) area pushed the pop to about 200K). I looked for something not quite that large, but similar. Durango & Montrose were smaller but they were the largest areas on the western slope and I wished to give them/rural Colorado a look. Grand Junction didn't appeal to me so it was off the list. Colorado Springs was off the list due to the 1992 visit. Pueblo didn't appeal to me, much the same that GJ didn't (they just didn't catch my eye). Additionally, I did not wish a large area - metro Denver was out. I like to be able to get out of town in less than 15 minutes of driving (that can be had in parts of Denver).

There is not much for population of my interest "in the mountains" so all mountain locations were not considered. Still, I have little interest in living / working in a mountain town - though I could be swayed.

What was left was the front range area north of Denver. Boulder / Golden was rather "big city" / Denver sprawl and weren't of much interest. Longmont / Loveland / Fort Collins were the focus. I knew nothing of those three cities before visiting them (for a day each - mostly driving around to get a feel [not scientific or thorough - it was what it was].

Longmont has a nice downtown. It's alive and seemed to be a working downtown. Actually, the whole north-south  (US-287) strip is a decent business area with two or three blocks downtown to be "walkabout".

Loveland gave me a bit more of a small town feel. Where Longmont had a north-south strip of business, Loveland had a + / cross layout. The north-south (US-287) highway and the east-west (US-34) highway have it being more spread out. Where US-34 bumps around Lake Loveland (water owned by Greeley) gives traffic a nice waterside view. Longmont's stretch on US-287 wasn't of much eye candy (though it's no eye candy in Loveland either) - the US-34 lake area I come back to (this is a spot where I'll stop for lunch/dinner if I'm in town before/after a client visit).

A tad north on US-287 we hit Fort Collins (FoCo). It's downtown, one block wide on either side of 287 and 3 or 4 blocks long is vibrant. "Old Town" is a focal point for town (city planners know it and treat it as such). FoCo, like Loveland, is a bit of a cross / + layout with US-287 north-south and Harmony being east-west. Harmony is "the new strip" that heads east to I-25. I didn't know it at the time, but after choosing to live here, several have told me that FoCo was rated (a couple times) as a top / top ten city to live in. It's quite bicycle friendly with bike lanes on many roads. The bus system as bike racks for transporting bikes on the bus.

FoCo is a college town - Colorado State University (www.ColoState.edu) but the city's large enough to not notice much difference when school's in (folks do comment on higher traffic when school is in). There is current controversy over them relocating their stadium, which is currently out at the western edge of town, to on campus.

There is a decent (I can't speak for Loveland or Longmont) micro brew crowd in town - from pure personal (a neighbor of mine - and something not uncommon to see folks in their garage brewing) brewers to the major (Anheuser-Bush / Budweiser). New Belgium (Fat Tire), Fort Collins Brewery, ODell come to mind. Bottom line - it's the water. Yes, the water is good. It's "first use" snowmelt that needs very little conditioning. Not that you care, but it's all gravity fed - there are no pumps or water towers (I toured the facility on the CityWorks class).

http://fortcollinsbreweryguide.com/breweries.aspx
http://fortcollinsbreweryguide.com/default.aspx
http://www.visitftcollins.com/dining-nightlife/breweries-pubs

The town has grown south, and slightly to the north from downtown / Old Town. Housing is more costly than "home" in Illinois. City sales tax is high (in comparison to neighbors). Fort Collins is a home rule city.
State 2.9%
County: 0.6% (Larimer)
City: 3.85%

This past summer I was "accepted" into their CityWorks 101 class. Once a year the city puts on a class for 30 people, once a week for ?6? weeks and two optional weekends. Every ?Thursday? at about 5:30pm we'd meet in a different city department, enjoy dinner, and listen to speakers / slideshows / take a tour of the department. The city was opening their doors to the residents. After the first couple classes I came away with an odd question - are these people TRULY enthusiastic about their jobs and the city??? All of them were solid folk who LOVED their job. Perhaps they were told to "act positive" for the "students". I came away, after all of the sessions to believe that each of them is true to their word / actions - they love their jobs (or they did a REALLY good job pushing it out). Media department / City Council / Streets & Traffic / Power Distribution* are but a few I specifically recall. Two "Saturday" field trips were on the docket - Fresh Water Treatment, mentioned above, and Fire Department (rescheduled as not enough people were interested / could attend - goofy - who wouldn't want to play with a fire hose).

* Power distribution: A selling point of FoCo to big biz is that near 100% of the city enjoys buried power lines. The only above ground power lines are the high tension / transmission lines to the sub stations (I think there are 9). From the stations out to the end use, buried. This equates to them being top ?10? in the nation for power availability (not having outages). They also have a short outage rating / get outages fixed quickly. I have only experiended (2007 to 2014) one outage. A car backed into the transformer by my back door (apartment / condo complex). Crews were onsite in ~20 minutes with the repair complete in a couple hours - I watched them work through most of it).

The city of FoCo buys power from (the local coop??). The local power company has a coal plant north of town (which also gives free tours and is in the top five for cleanest in the country), wind turbines near the CO/WY border and has fractional ownership of the coal plant at Craig CO. They are putting / have nat gas turbines in place at the coal plant north of town. The power utility supplies power to Fort Collins / Loveland / Longmont / Estes Park. One tidbit noticed by another tour person at the power plant on a cool winter's day: The Rawhide power plant (north of town) was consuming more power than the city of Estes Park. It was due to the amount of water pumps needed to push water around. It was interesting to walk up to the turbine / generator and put your hand on it and feel it spinning.

OK, enough of stuff you might think - why did he even bother typing THAT?

Weather: Weather, or more specifically, moisture is the big difference between FoCo / the Front Range of Colorado (think the I-25 corridor / the western end of the Great Plains / where the mountains start) and Illinois. There is much less moisture here than in the Midwest.

In the summer, there is less humidity. There is less GREEN (green lawns are irrigated and are not natural) here. On the plains / out of the mountains - TREES are not as common. Trees are only found where there are people or near a river / stream. Trees are not common "out on the plains". There are fewer flying bugs - but mosquito's do exist (too much). FoCo has had one or two West Nile deaths or infections. It seems the city has a page for it: http://www.fcgov.com/westnile/ .

In the sky, there are fewer clouds. In the summertime, the weather forecast is often 10% chance of rain many days in a row. What that means is in the afternoon, a cumulonimbus type of cloud that often dot the sky, could drop rain. The cloud is two miles wide. If you're under it when it's dumping you will be soaked. Everywhere else will be dry. No horizon to horizon grey cloud with rain for hours. One full cloudy day, every so often. Two, back to back, cloudy days - huh. Three back to back - WHAT'S WRONG?!?!  In the wintertime this equates to SUN SUN SUN. Denver boats 300 sunny days a year. In the wintertime, at night, FoCo is often a degree or few COLDER than Rockford IL. The difference is in the daytime. With greater sun, and perhaps higher elevation (5000 ft vs. 980 ft for Rockford), snow MELTS. Last winter, I wore my winter coat, in my daily routine, only twice. Daytimes often get above freezing. Why shovel when it'll melt. Yes, we can get large snowfalls (and the city plows primary & secondary roads - but not tertiary roads - they let it melt). IMPORTANT POINT: If buying a house - get one with a sun facing driveway. DO NOT buy a north facing driveway house unless the price is right.

Temp swings, 25 to 40F per day. When the sun disappears, the temps DROP (winter and summer). In Illinois, an uncomfortable week would have the A/C running 100% with closed windows for the week. Here, while central A/C is appreciated, windows often open up at 7p and close up in the morning with A/C turning on from ~1 to 6pm. A 100F day could start out at 60F. It'd only be in the uncomfortable range for a few hours.

The sun thing: I'm not a weather person, but I'll play one on the Internet. This layman sees it this way: Pacific Coast moisture travels east and gets "pushed up" when it flows over the mountains. As it pushes up it is cooled, with clouds forming (mountain areas I'd think are more cloudy) - the more SUN aspect is a Front Range issue, which you'll see. That moisture precipitates in the mountains. When the air mass reaches the eastern end of the mountains, it starts to descent (and warm / which allows it to hold the moisture - what little it has left to hold). Thus, as the air mass comes over the front range area there are no clouds. The ??30 mile wide?? stretch at the western end of the Great Plains gets sun. East a ways we can see clouds start to form. It is common enough that one can look west, over the mountains, and see an angry cloud mass hanging out ALL DAY LONG. Knowing the winds are blowing west to east - but yet those clouds never show up over town. Not sure I'd want to live in Estes Park - but I'll happily live in FoCo, a 45 minute drive away.

That's Pacific Coast moisture. Now for Gulf moisture. When an low pressure zone (low's "spin left" / counterclockwise") sits over the Albuquerque NM area, it seems to grab moisture, kick it north, then spin it west to the front range. This is the reverse of the typical west to east Pacific airflow. This moisture, gets pushed up, cooled, and precipitates on and just to the west of the Front Range area. These are called "Albuquerque Low" or "Upslope" storms. You might recall that tidbit of "1000 year flood" from last September. An Albuquerque Low stalled in place for four days and SLAMMED us (Golden to FoCo).

Roads - different than the Midwest. In the Midwest there were roads "all over" - though the interest level was not stellar. Here, heading into the mountains, there are few roads, though the interest level is decently high. The two areas are different - higher quality though more repetitive / lower quality with less repetition / more variety. The five, paved, mountains roads near-ish me for an afternoon ride (US-287 to Red Feather Lakes, CO-14 northwest of FoCo, US-34 Loveland to Estes Park, US-36 Lyons to Estes Park, CO-7 / St. Vrain Canyon southwest from Lyons CO) get repetitive, though they are nice curvy roads. Here's a list of roads / comments I have compiled (with help from others):
http://www.jimwilliamson.net/temp/CO-What-To-Do-text.txt
http://www.jimwilliamson.net/temp/CO-What-To-Do-map.jpg
(both files are needed to make sense of things)

The flip side of the mountains is the Pawnee Grasslands 40 minutes east of town on CO-14. WIDE OPEN SPACES (due to no trees). That area is a nice contrast to the visually confining, tree filled canyons.

Oh, we have a Pine Bark Beetle issue. They're killing swaths of mountain pine trees. This equates to brown forests and those that are at risk for crazy forest fires. I don't expect to see some of these areas regenerate in my lifetime / they'll likely only get more brown and unsightly. Camping / hiking in dead tree areas is dangerous as a tree could fall over and kill-ya (setting up camp out of reach of "deadfall" is a fundamental).

That's all for tonight (and perhaps, that's all). Any question, fire away. If you come to visit - kick up a thread for the local's to meet for lunch or dinner. I'm bikeless these days though Carl or LT could enjoy a ride with ya. I can give Jeep trail rides if you're interested to see some of that stuff.

(Dang - that's longer than a "Carl Rant" (tm))
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:57:00 AM by Jim »
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 07:43:01 AM »
Wow,

Really getting serious on the move huh?  Awesome!! 

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
That's a lotta detail, Jim - thanks again.   We're figuring on taking another trip out in a couple months & do some more exploring, after we've narrowed the choices of likely areas/towns to a manageable number.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »

IIRC / Gunnison is one of the cold winter valleys.

You might get some info from this thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/1345359-coldest-warmest-areas-colorado.html

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »
Well, got an appraiser coming by in a day or so to check out our house here in Annapolis.  Get some idea of what it's worth, and what else would be worthwhile doing to it.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 11:22:47 AM »
Been steadily making progress on getting our house ready for market.  I've seen a lot of photos of other homes in CO on Zillow & the like that are, IMO, horrible - the worst so far was one someone took of their backyard, that prominently features a dog taking a dump.  :o

I've been taking photos of our efforts as we go along.  Appreciate any critiques from the peanut gallery:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37559878@N00/sets/72157650331267306/

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »
Are you going to list it FSBO?  If you're going to sell through a list agent, they will be probably have someone come through with advice for staging and have a Professional photographer come shoot the house.

The biggest thing is reducing clutter in the house.  Which means only having what you absolutely need to live!  I never thought my house was cluttered...until we filled up the storage units   :-[

P.S.  what's all that white shit on the street  :P

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »
Are you going to list it FSBO?  If you're going to sell through a list agent, they will be probably have someone come through with advice for staging and have a Professional photographer come shoot the house.

The biggest thing is reducing clutter in the house.  Which means only having what you absolutely need to live!  I never thought my house was cluttered...until we filled up the storage units   :-[

Probably not - been meeting/talking with a realtor who's a good friend of our mutual friend.  Haven't yet signed any agreement though. 

As for clutter, yeah.  :P

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »

Was kicking myself for not having any photos of the front & back during the height of the autumn colors.  When that flurry hit, I thought the scenery was nice enough to get some shots of.

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »

This. Our realtor brought in a professional stager, we rented a big storage unit, and stuff went out of the house. The house looked great, though it was a bit less functional for our life. Our realtor was a great photographer herself after 20+ years in the business and did a great job with the pics. We sold in four days in a slowing market.

Google bad real estate photos for hints on what not to do (and to get some good laughs).
A man with no sig

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 06:40:44 AM »
Been steadily making progress on getting our house ready for market.  I've seen a lot of photos of other homes in CO on Zillow & the like that are, IMO, horrible - the worst so far was one someone took of their backyard, that prominently features a dog taking a dump.  :o

I've been taking photos of our efforts as we go along.  Appreciate any critiques from the peanut gallery:

Looking good. Maybe you can buy me that beer when I'm Colorado in May. Oh wait... I don't drink beer. Never mind.   :o

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 09:00:04 AM »

Looking good. Maybe you can buy me that beer when I'm Colorado in May. Oh wait... I don't drink beer. Never mind.   :o

Easy fix - you buy me a beer!  ;D

Today we're painting Rue's bedroom.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 05:39:35 PM »
Dang.  House went on the market this afternoon; got our first showing tomorrow.  :o

Online radon222

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »
Found your listing.  You should have no problem selling at that price!!  ;D

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
Hope so.  We'd be quite pleased to see a bidding war erupt.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 07:07:36 AM »
Heading west for our house hunting trip this morning.  First stop Columbus, then St. Louis, Salina & Co.  Will be in Denver by Friday, then up to Fort Collins Saturday and we'll hang there for a couple days roaming the area.  If anyone wants to do dinner some night while we're in town post up.  :)

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 07:22:23 AM »
Jim, Justin and what's his name are all in that area.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 08:00:59 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »
Bummer on the schedule. Saturday, early AM, I process miles to Illinois for three or four days. If you're still around the weekend thereafter, ping me. Enjoy your trip!

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 04:18:27 PM »
Weekend thereafter will prolly find us in Durango or Montrose.

Offline DNA

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 04:45:09 PM »
we were just looking a bunch of listings in Evergreen - a bit south west of Denver.

Looks like a cool place and a great value compared to Bay area or WaDC.

Is it on your shopping list?

I rode through there a few years back - could easily live there if forced...
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 05:07:59 PM »
One of the members of the 4x4 group moved to Evergreen last summer. If there are specific q's that you'd want asked I could connect folks.

An Evergreen post (really, mountain CO post):
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?18689-The-Campfire&p=284219#post284219

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 06:07:54 PM »
Yeah, Evergreens on our list of FR burgs to check out.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 06:23:56 PM »
I'll never understand the appeal of the I25 corridor. Too many damn people and too much damn traffic.

Current STOners excepted of course.  :-*
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 07:58:22 PM »
Only reason we're here is for the work... otherwise I'd probably still be on the western slope.  ;)
That said, there's worse places and better places!
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:50 PM »
I understand. And if I could find a place there, I'd certainly be using it as a first step.  :bigok:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 09:32:55 PM »
You look'n to move too?

Offline DNA

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
Nothing specific yet - but we have a new CEO inbound so all the VP's are polishing up our resume's...

My wife was just looking at schools in that area - not a whole lot of selection - but I expect that to be the case most places I'd consider going.

I have a lot of family in CO - so that is both attractive and not so much...

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 06:06:21 PM »
Damn that was a hellacious T-storm this morning west of Columbus; nearly blew me off the road.

St. Charles MO appears to be a happening place.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 06:30:18 PM »
Damn that was a hellacious T-storm this morning west of Columbus; nearly blew me off the road.

You're in the lion's eye tonight. Monitor the weather closely for the next several hours.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 06:33:10 PM »
You look'n to move too?

Believe me. If the right scenario came along, Susan and I would be there in a New York minute. We've both lived there before and we visit on a regular basis.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 08:33:54 PM »
You look'n to move too?

Believe me. If the right scenario came along, Susan and I would be there in a New York minute. We've both lived there before and we visit on a regular basis.

:wave:

Same with me and Sheri.  Unfortunately, my employer keeps growing in Texas and now Philadelphia / New Jersey.  No offense, but no thanks to either.  Colorado?  PNW?  Maine?  Yes!

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 09:02:04 PM »
You look'n to move too?

:wave:

Same with me and Sheri.  Unfortunately, my employer keeps growing in Texas and now Philadelphia / New Jersey.  No offense, but no thanks to either.  Colorado?  PNW?  Maine?  Yes!

Oregon and Washington are on the list too.  ;)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline expatbrit

• Big Lad At the Back
    • ExpatBrit
  • Motorcycles: KTM RC8R, MTS1200S, WR250X, Daytona 675
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »
Count me as another. While I love NM, Albuquerque isn't it. Colorado and Oregon are high on the list.
https://www.expatbrit.org -- adventures in racing and cycling

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »
Denver at last.  People are so f'n friendly out here...  it's annoying... wait til Rue gets here-she'll pull a knife on 'em.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2015, 08:34:09 PM »
LOL - a buddy's in from Seattle - similar comment.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
Denver at last.  People are so f'n friendly mellow out here...  it's annoying... wait til Rue gets here-she'll pull a knife on 'em.

ftfy

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2015, 04:43:57 PM »

I was in Columbia, we could have had breakfast. Dang.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2015, 06:45:36 PM »

I was in Columbia, we could have had breakfast. Dang.

No kidding?  Dang indeed.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »
Rats. 

We found a beautiful house yesterday in Estes Park.  Up on a mountainside but not too far up; paved roads all the way to it from the highway; herds of elk and deer wandering around; fantastic views of snow-capped peaks in the distance; both a 2-car garage AND a 1-car garage for all our bikes & workshop; not too many renovations needed; and it has...

Asbestos.   :bluduh:

Previous buyer backed out last month after getting estimates of $30K for removal/abatement.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 09:46:06 AM »
Make the offer $35k less?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 09:50:09 AM »
1) Encapsulate and ignore it / don't touch it. You'll buy the place for a _low_ price due to it.

or

2) How old are you? How long does asbestos related cancer take to become debilitating? It might be nice to know how and when you'll die...

(said only half un-seriously)

Did you take a walk around Bear Lake (RMNP)?  It's doable. The lake's frozen (was last week) and the trail is only visible in spots (3-4 feet of hard packed snow on top). Pretty area though. Consider it if timing allows.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »

Can't encapsulate or ignore if we're going to renovate like we want.  And one family member's already had a go round with Big C.