Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Americade 30th Anniversary (2012)  (Read 1769 times)

Online kendenton

• Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
Americade 30th Anniversary (2012)
« on: November 17, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
Americade 2012

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

NJ 519 - while there are some twists and turns on this route I enjoyed them too much to stop and take pictures during them

I went to Americade back in 2007 and 2008 when I first got back into motorcycling. I enjoyed both trips very much, but took a break for  three years to make time for trips to the Alps in 2009, the Dragon in 2010, and a return to the Alps in 2011. With no big trips on the books for this summer Americade seemed like a good choice.

Tuesday - The Ride Up

My plan was to meet up with Dave and Peter in Lake George on Tuesday, spend a few days doing demos and riding the area, and returning home on Saturday after a quick detour visit to my alma mater, SUNY Albany. As the event get nearer the weather forecast got worse, but Tuesday dawned warm and sunny. With raingear packed away I pulled out of my driveway around 7am to begin my 400+ mile route of mostly back roads north. I needed to put in around an hour on the highway to get me to Trenton, then it was all two-lane for the rest of the day.

Some construction on the Hawk's Nest made for periods of empty roads

97 west of Port Jervis is a pleasant, if lonely, stretch of road

Somewhere between 97 and 30 my GPS routed me onto this oddball little road. I'm sure I didn't plot this detour...

Pepactin Reservoir is always a highlight

I had borrowed a friend's Airhawk seat pad for the trip, and while it was terrific on the highway (once I finally got the air pressure dialed in - let out more than you think, then let out more. Then more.) it was very disconcerting once the road got twisty. I packed it away near Frenchtown. Rolled in to Lake George just before 5pm, right on schedule. Check-in at the Holiday Inn took all of 5 minutes, then I hopped onto the Northway for the 10 minute ride to our hotel to meet with the guys.

My bubble-wrapped bottle of La Trappe Quadrupel survived the ride

Dave and Peter had just arrived at the hotel themselves when I got there. We all got our rooms squared away and headed back into Lake George for dinner and bike-watching. Dinner was a decent Italian meal at Mama Riso's where we met up with a friend of Dave's who represents LS2 helmets. We had some good conversation and laughs, then made the short trip up Canada Street to park up with the rest of the bikes and walk around - one of my favorite activities at Americade.

Tuesday being early in the week Canada Street wasn't too crazy

Sidecar Sally
IBA #37902

Online kendenton

Re: Americade 30th Anniversary (2012)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:00:34 AM »
Wednesday - Let the Demo Rides begin!

All the demo rides comments/photos will be in a post at the end.

My #1 hope for demo rides was the new Ducati Multistrada. We got up to the Fort William Henry Resort around 7:45 and there were only about 6 or 7 people already in line. Seeing that they had 3 Multistradas and 12 or so Diavels I figured we'd be good. Got to the front of the line and told the guy we were flexible about a timeslot but the three of us would like to go together on the Multis. "Oh, we're just demoing the Diavels - the Multis are just for the ride leaders." Seriously? Sigh.

We wandered over to Honda to see about VFR1200 rides, but all their bikes rides were full for the day. Turns out they start handing out deli tickets at 7am, then call those numbers starting at 8. By 8:10 it's all over. From past experience I figured BMW would be full so we didn't even bother trying them. As we would find out the next day they had openings all day long, just not for some of the more interesting bikes (K1600GT, S1000RR).

Kawasaki was the only other motorcycle vendor in the lot so we signed up for a ride with them for later. I had also signed us up online for Can-Am Spyder demos, but as it turned out the times just wouldn't work out that day.

After securing at least one ride for the day (Kawi), we wandered down the hill to find Yamaha and Harley. Surprisingly Yamaha still had plenty of openings this late in the morning, so we signed up for some after-lunch demos and walked back over to Harley.

H-D was doing things differently than they had the other 2 years I'd been here. As before, you stood in line once to fill out a form, and that form was good for the rest of the week. Where in years past all the bikes were first-come, first-serve in lines assigned to families (the Dyna line, the Sportster line, etc) this year they were doing reservations for bikes just like everyone else. This would turn out to be a very loose system since all the rides were self-guided and you could pretty much take your time on them. So if you had a 1:15 time on a Road Glide Ultra, that could turn into 1:30, 2:00, or even later as people before you were late getting back. There were some bikes on Wednesday that were walk-ups, but on Thursday and Friday that would no longer be the case.

We had lunch at the all-too-convenient Adirondack Brewery right across the street. Decent selection of beer (limit of one for lunch for us) and lots of mediocre food. Friendly wait staff though.

After demo rides wrapped up for the day we walked back to the heart of Canada Street for more bike watching. Grabbed a couple slices of pizza for dinner since we were still pretty much stuffed from our big Brewery lunch.

Caught some of the trials demo at the Fort, then got back to the hotel at a decent time and put the La Trappe in ice for a while before cracking it open to share. Mmmm.

Parked near me

Glass at Adirondack Brewery

The world's most uncomfortable back rest? (Yes, I know it's an aux fuel cell)

FZ1 demo ride

Wow, that's...interesting

Drop-dead gorgeous 3-wheeler with a Guzzi motor

Cool Vette
IBA #37902

Online kendenton

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »
Thursday - Let the Demo Rides Continue!

We were kickstands up at 6:30 so we could make sure to get a spot on Honda and BMW's rides, and that tactic paid off. Having ridden most of BMW's offerings in the past I picked the new K1600GT. For some reason Peter was interested in riding the S1000RR, which he was able to get in the same timeslot as my ride (and Dave's ride on the lowered R1200GS). Peter and I picked the new Honda VFR1200 to demo while Dave tried the CB1000R.

We figured we'd give Victory a try today as well. They didn't do reservations, you just got a wristband good for the week and then lined up for "Touring/Baggers" or "Cruisers". Their system left a lot to be desired, as people wandering the parking area would hop onto bikes as those in line were making their way through the line to their bikes. Dave got beaten to the bike he wanted by one of these sharpshooters. To add insult to injury one of the Victory demo team kicked Dave off the bike he ended up on (Kingpin Tour) because they were one short. Dave was not amused.

Lunch was again at the Adirondack Brewery where we met up with some more friends of Dave and just dodged some afternoon rain.

We did some last-minute rides on BMW and Kawasaki before checking out the outdoor vendor expo. Peter and I were kinda helmet shopping, and there were a fair selection of decent lids available. Prices varied pretty widely from one booth to another, even some that were right across from each other. I was hoping to try out an AGV Revolver Evo, as it was priced well and got good reviews. Found one vendor that had them, and was disappointed that the fit was very uncomfortable. Didn't like the Nolan N104 much either, but did really like the HJC SyMax III. Prices were still much better online so I held off from buying one onsite.

After the expo we headed into town for dinner.  Had a decent Italian dinner at a place right in the heart of Canada Street, which was a surprise. The noise from the bikes made it very hard to hear anyone talk, but that's the price you pay for location, location location. After dinner we went back to the bikes at the Fort William Henry and caught a little of the Balloon Glow. 5 minutes is about all you need.

Fancy bike cover at our hotel

The Multi seems to attract patriotic bikes

Check out the rig for his aft GoPro. There's also 2 additional GoPro's on the sides of the bike.

Very very blue VFR1200

A Motus MST on display at the TourExpo

And an MST-R

Cool (but scary) artwork on a bike dedicated to lost K-9's of the Vietnam War

Pizza was decent - not spectacular, but decent enough

Oldies

I got a demo of a Victory Highball earlier. Some part of me really likes this thing.

Sweet

Caught a few minutes of the balloon glow. Once you've seen a few minutes...
IBA #37902

Online kendenton

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
Friday - Yet More Demos, and The Great Escape

Lazy start to the day as we didn't "need" to be in town at any certain time to secure demo rides. Got to the Fort around 9 and spent the day grabbing rides where we could while the weather held out. Lunch was - you guess it - at the Brewery yet again. On-again, off-again rain plagued as a bit, and my last demo of the day got cancelled because of "rain out on the route" even though the sun was shining where we were (and everywhere I could see). Harley packed up early as well because of the weather.

One of the major highlights of my first Americade visit was getting to ride my motorcycle into The Great Escape amusement park, and park right next to The Comet roller coaster. I'm a huge roller coaster fan, and The Comet is on my Top 10 list, so this was quite a cool thing for me. You have to be in a certain parking lot before the gates open and they take the first 1,000 bikes to go into the park. We figured to arrive at 5:30, an hour before the gates open.

Stopped on the way down to The Great Escape to do some more gear/helmet shopping, then sat in some serious traffic inching along 9. Passed a police checkpoint where they were pulling over bikes heading north on 9. Got to the parking lot in plenty of time, and passed the hour wandering around and talking to the other early arrivals waiting in the lines to get in.

Unfortunately this year the parking was much different - you got to ride into the park for a little bit, perhaps half the distance we used to, then they had us split up in different directions and park all over the place. We were nowhere near The Comet, which was very disappointing for me. If I do another Americade I'll skip this part for sure.

It was neat to be back at The Great Escape again with Dave. I ran into him on The Comet five years ago, and was surprised to find another motorcycling roller coaster enthusiast. We've become good friends over the past 5 years, and he's been part of many trips I've taken. We did get some rides in on The Comet, until my ribs (still sore from the drop during the Ride to the Rides) could take no more. One ride in the back seat pretty much sealed the deal. Did the buffet dinner and dessert (surprisingly good), and tried to go back to get more Comet rides but were disappointed to find that it was already closed. With a threat of a "major thunderstorm" on the way we watched the fireworks as we headed back to the bikes.

Or at least tried to head back to the bikes. In our excitement of rushing off to The Comet we never really took note of where we were parked. Now it was very dark, and bikes were parked down every pathway as far as you could see. Fortunately I had taken a picture of the bikes, so I enlisted a nearby park employee to help us track down our bikes. Took him a couple seconds, and then he sent us to exactly the right spot. Thanks!

Never got a drop of rain on the way back to the hotel.

Waiting to get into The Great Escape

Cool trailer!

Gorgeous CX650 Turbo. Best Classic Bike winner (or something like that).

Waiting to head into the park

And we're in!

Very glad I took this picture!

"Now everyone remember where we parked..."

Front seat of an empty train

What do you mean "it's closed"?

Lots of time went into making these light displays
IBA #37902

Online kendenton

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »
Americade 2012 Demo Rides

Please keep in mind these opinions and comments are really just meant for me, to remind me of what it was like to ride these bikes on those days. These are not in-depth reviews by any stretch.

Wednesday

Harley Davidson Softail Slim

Yup, it's a Harley. I do enjoy the self-guided demo way of doing things, shame the route is so boring. Up 9, then back on the Northway.

Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra

That's not me on the Road Glide of course, that's my buddy Dave. I thought the Road Glide was OK for a big HD tourer, but the windscreen produced a lot of buffeting. Dave did not care for the bike at all, and was expressing his dislike to a friend only to find out that was the bike his friend rode. Oh, we had some laughs over that one.

Harley Davidson Street Glide

No picture, sorry. The Street Glide is absolutely ruined (IMHO) by that shorty screen. Anything over 45mph and the turbulence is beating you senseless, above 60mph and for me it's double-vision.

Yamaha FZ1

Yamaha's route took us up the east side of Lake George on the bumpiest road in the area. The firm suspension of the FZ1 had me practically bouncing out of my seat a dozen times as we headed north. Good top-half ergonomics for me, legs a little more cramped than I prefer. Motor had a lot of midrange, couldn't safely wind it out in the group ride setting.

Kawasaki Concours 14

No picture on this one either. I'd ridden the C14 a few times already, and always enjoyed it. I did not notice any issues with engine heat that featured so strongly on my first C14 ride back in 2008. Kawasaki's route was pretty much the same as it had been in the past - up the Northway for 1 exit, return back down the Northway for 2 exits, then some windy roads back to 9. It's a nice route on a bike with good legs and wind protection - like the C14.

Dave and Peter did some demos of their own:

I think the HD Wide Glide put Dave to sleep

But he really enjoyed the XR1200X

Peter had a blast on the Kawasaki Z1000

Peter and the VRod

Thursday

BMW K1600GT

Obviously a big heavy bike, but still handles very well. I was surpised at how tall it was at stoplights, had the feeling you wouldn't want to get it stopped at any kind of angle if you don't want to drop it. Very comfortable, very quick in any gear. Couldn't really figure out the electronic settings during the ride, but that ring dial-thing seemed like a good way to control things. Definitely more bike than I need - the K1300GT had the right power/tour balance for me I think.

BMW used to have the best demo route by far. A unique route of 45 minutes riding winding back roads really gave you a good feel for the bikes. I guess they went for quantity over quality this year, as the route was barely 20 minutes long and the same as some of the other manufacturers. Down the Northway for a bit, then one section of backroads with 5-6 sweepers, then back up 9 to the Fort.

Victory Judge

Standard Victory cruiser with (for me) terrible ergonomics. The drag bars that are distinct to The Judge are just too far away to be comfortable - I'm always leaning forward to grab them. Stock exhaust was very quiet, and... I really don't have much more to say about that bike.

Victory's route was different than all the others. Quick ride down 9 and on to 9N which is just a pleasant 2-lane for several miles. The road bends a bit, but nothing that could really be called a "turn". Then you do a mile or 2 on a tight country lane with blind corners, and back onto 9N for a return trip the way you came. Not challenging in any way.

BMW F800ST

After Dave got booted from his Victory demo we went over to BMW to pick up some scraps. I'd ridden the F800ST years ago at Americade and liked it, so I though I would give it another go. I like the idea of a smaller sport-touring bike, and much of the F800ST fits that bill. It is a bit buzzy through the bars, and the pegs are really too high for high-mileage days, but otherwise it's a very nice place to be.

Honda VFR1200

After the Multistrada (sigh), the VFR1200 was my most-anticipated bike to ride - partly because I like non-inline-4 motors, and partly because it's nearly impossibe to get a demo ride from a Honda dealer. Getting on the bike it was immediately obvious that the VFR's seating is much too sport-oriented for me (which I was not surprised about). The clutch pull was really heavy, something Peter on his DCT version didn't have to contend with.

What a motor! This was the most enjoyable engine of the week, by far. Really enjoyed the power characteristics compared to the K1600 or C14 and the sound was downright intoxicating. At a certain RPM there's an exhaust valve that opens and the sound changes from just excellent to spine-tingling. Fit and finish was absolutely first-rate, you really felt you were riding a quality product.

Honda's route was very different than everyone else's, no highway and a long loop southeast of the Fort. Parts of the twisties were diminished by being in a residental area and peppered with driveways, but it was still a nice long ride.

Talked to the Honda rep after we got back, and he talked up the forthcoming Honda 1200 Crosstourer. Hmm, that engine in a bike with great ergonomics would be a very, very interesting thing.

Kawasaki Ninja 650

Always fun to ride a smaller bike (a little) quickly than a bigger bike slowly. Loved the torquey twin, bike felt very confident in the twisties. Sections on the demo where you could really open up the throttle on this guy - on the C14 you could do that for perhaps 1/2 second before warping past the bike in front of you. Riding position was a little tight, nothing switching to the Versys couldn't take care of. Got some rain on this ride.

Some of Dave and Peter's demos from Thursday:

Peter had a hoot on the S1000RR

Dave and his R1200GS Low. If only they offered cruise control...

Dave on the Victory Highball. I'd ride this tomorrow - and love it.

Peter on a Victory Hardball

Peter took a turn on the Harley XR1200X. We had left our gear with our bikes, but Harley was happy to provide skid lid.

Best picture of Dave ever. Taking a turn on the Harley Super Glide, looking quite the badass.

Peter enjoyed the Kawasaki Concours 14

Friday

BMW R1200GS Rallye

This color scheme, especially with the red subframe, is almost enough to make we want a GS. I've demo'd a couple GS's in the past, both the standard and Adventure versions. I think this ride was my last-ditch attempt to connect with the BMW boxer motor - and it failed. I liked pretty much everything else about the GS, but the motor just doesn't do it for me. I've sampled the boxer on many platforms (R1100R, R1150R, R1105RT, R1200R, R1200RT, R1200GS and R1200GSA) but only in the R1200R does it come close to working for me. Time to cross it off the list for good.

Kawasaki Versys

I had done a little bit of slab on Jim's Versys and liked it so I was very interested to get a better ride on one. There was really nothing I didn't like about this bike - if it existed when I bought the Multi I might have gone down this road instead. Great comfy riding position, eager and good-sounding v-twin. Got a little bit of rain on this ride so the twisty portion was a little more relaxed than before. Definitely a great little bike.

HD Super Glide

Took a Super Glide for a ride in between scheduled demos, and found it to be a much nicer ride for me than the Road or Street Glides I had ridden earlier. I modified the self-guided route slightly by coming back on 9 instead of doing the Northway. Much better for this bike. I can certainly see the appeal of one on a lazy back-road rambling kind of day. I'd prefer floorboards over the pegs on this one, and maybe a quick-detach windshield, and some bags - wait, that's the Dyna Switchback. Tried to get a ride on one 3 times during the week, never worked out as the wait was just too long.

Victory Highball

Without a doubt the most "fun" ride I had during Americade. My first ever ride on a bike with ape-hangers, and it had a stupidly loud exhaust as well. Some part of me found a lot of joy in revving that motor up as we trundled down Canada Street, exhaust echoing off the buildings. Not something I would do solo, but I felt less guilty being at an event where it seems 50% of the bikes had loud pipes. If, as they say, "loud pipes save lives", I was determing to do my part to save as many lives a I could. For cruising around I find the apes not too bad, certainly better than the drag bars on the Judge (in orange, behind me). Loved the whitewalls and white tank accent as well. With an unlimited budget I'd probably add one of these to the stable for those days when I wanted to pretend I was tough. Probably have to lose the hiviz though.

Yamaha Super Tenere

Cancelled due to "rain on the route". Wimps.

Some of Dave and Peter's demos from Friday:

After Peter declared the BMW F800GS "the perfect Europe bike" Dave was eager to give it a try. Not sure what's going on in this pic though...

Peter had tried every other engine combination from BMW, so I steered him to a G650 thumper.

IBA #37902