Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OMG - Enough with the snow already!  (Read 76156 times)

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
Re: OMG - Enough with the snow already!
« Reply #500 on: February 14, 2021, 10:06:10 AM »
Absolutely frigid!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S, 1974 Suzuki TC100
« Reply #501 on: February 14, 2021, 10:22:40 AM »
My kid escaped Houston two days ago and headed for Fort Lauderdale to visit his gf.  He's gone for a week and it sounds like his timing was perfect.  Houston is under a freeze/deep wind chill warning today.  I can see his room mates going apeshit over this.  They're southern boys from Texas and Louisiana. 

The one from TX had me laughing while I was there.  It dropped to the mid-50s overnight and he was headed for the patio to have a smoke in his winter coat carrying a blanket.  I was wearing shorts because that's warm for me. 
--Tom

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #502 on: February 14, 2021, 12:22:21 PM »
More snow today followed by a week long cold snap.  But the 10 day forecast has a string of 6 days with highs above freezing after that.  So this too shall pass.

Went for a hike today in the woods. The usual path has been tramped well, so as long as you stay on it, you're fine. We decided to follow the frozen creek we usually just cross. Found some places where I was up to my hip in snow. Fun times!

It's nice that we have all four seasons, but mostly avoid the extremes. 
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #503 on: February 15, 2021, 05:31:22 AM »
 :bluduh: :baldy:

Metro Detroit could see up to 8 inches of snow by Tuesday.

A winter weather advisory is in effect from midnight Sunday until noon Tuesday for all of Southeast Michigan, except Midland and Bay counties, according to the National Weather Service. One to 2 inches of snow was predicted Sunday night into Monday morning and then 3 to 6 inches are expected Monday night into Tuesday morning, according to the service.But National Weather Service meteorologist Trent Frey warned that the second round of snow Monday evening into Tuesday could creep up to 7 inches, in and of itself, and the first round on Monday could make for a tough commute

:facepalm: :twofinger:
--Tom

Offline BuckeyeRider

• Not all who wander are lost.
  • Motorcycles: A Little 'Un
« Reply #504 on: February 15, 2021, 08:19:32 AM »
The one from TX had me laughing while I was there.  It dropped to the mid-50s overnight and he was headed for the patio to have a smoke in his winter coat carrying a blanket.  I was wearing shorts because that's warm for me.

I'm less than a mile from the border in the Mission, TX area. Folks down here are acting like the next ice age has started... They were giving away space heaters at the local community center the other day. Of course, a lot of people here barely have heating systems.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #505 on: February 15, 2021, 08:28:51 AM »
I am so looking forward to being miserable about riding on a hot summer day. :burnout:
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #506 on: February 15, 2021, 08:51:28 AM »
I am so looking forward to being miserable about riding on a hot summer day. :burnout:

:beerchug:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #507 on: February 15, 2021, 09:09:06 AM »
I'm offering my fellow Texans a one time opportunity on how to survive winter conditions. Just $1000 a day, hotel and food not included. Bring your sharpened axe to chop wood.  Snow shovels rented at $10/hour.  Snow blower training optional.

:lol:
--Tom

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #508 on: February 15, 2021, 09:39:29 AM »
Carrots and coal for snowmen are optional.  LOL :)
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #509 on: February 15, 2021, 04:11:45 PM »
Many unprepared people in RVs down in Texas. No generators. Running their tow vehicles to charge their batteries because shore power in the park is out. Propane, heaters, sold out. Others posting NOT to use ovens or burners to heat their RVs. Water lines freezing.

An RV is not a house. Oof.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #510 on: February 15, 2021, 04:19:05 PM »

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #511 on: February 15, 2021, 05:45:39 PM »
 :rolf:

I have to admit to be happy to FINALLY be getting winter.  Moving snow isn't a big deal with the loader and the tractor-mounted snowblower.  It's nice to be able to snowmobile!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #512 on: February 15, 2021, 06:00:59 PM »
We’re getting the rare Lake Effect snow here on the west side of Lake Michigan. Some places in the City are forecast to get a foot.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #513 on: February 15, 2021, 06:16:42 PM »
We’re getting the rare Lake Effect snow here on the west side of Lake Michigan. Some places in the City are forecast to get a foot.

Welcome to my world- although it has not been much this year!  I was in Chicago with the wife and kids Sat-Sunday and saw that in the weather.  That is unusual!
Let's do some science.

Offline BuckeyeRider

« Reply #514 on: February 15, 2021, 06:40:39 PM »
Many unprepared people in RVs down in Texas. No generators. Running their tow vehicles to charge their batteries because shore power in the park is out. Propane, heaters, sold out. Others posting NOT to use ovens or burners to heat their RVs. Water lines freezing.

But it is a home... I full-time in an RV and am currently in S Texas. I've been using an electric heater to keep the rig warm, to conserve propane. Filled the on-board water tank on Saturday and put the hose away. Backup is an on-board generator and if the gas ran out (it pulls from the main vehicle tank - Class C - and I always fill the gas tank before I park somewhere), then I'd switch to the propane furnace which runs off battery - that should all get me through until it warms back up - but it is supposed to get down to the low 20s again tonight with wind chill in the low teens. Not terrible by the NE Ohio standards I grew up in, but it is a tad chilly when you live in a house on wheels....

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
OMG - Enough with the snow already!
« Reply #515 on: February 16, 2021, 06:10:58 AM »
Can't you just move an RV/camper somewhere warmer to protect your investment during the cold snap? Can't you chill in some store's parking lots for free for a night or 2 or more?
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline BuckeyeRider

« Reply #516 on: February 16, 2021, 07:01:18 AM »
Can't you just move an RV/camper somewhere warmer to protect your investment during the cold snap? Can't you chill in some store's parking lots for free for a night or 2 or more?

Lol, why do you think I spend my winters on the Mexican border in deep south Texas???   (although the tacos and burritos are also a definite plus).

I suppose I could have driven for 2.5 days to go visit my folks in Florida, which is pretty much the only place in the country that didn't get the cold weather, but averaging 12mpg, that gets expensive.

I move throughout the year across the country (and up and down in elevation) trying to always be in moderate weather. A lot of us full-timers call it chasing 70 - always trying to be where the temp is in the 70s.

(last Wednesday I slept with all the vents and windows open - it was 86 during the day and only cooled off to 70 overnight).

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #517 on: February 16, 2021, 08:24:53 AM »
Just another day in the life of a northerner.   :o  Weather service says 5".  I say they need a new ruler.  Moved 8-9" of fresh powder this morning.  The plow service left an 18" wall at the base of the driveway.

--Tom

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #518 on: February 16, 2021, 09:04:36 AM »
The plow service left an 18" wall at the base of the driveway.

Dontcha just hate that :mad:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #519 on: February 16, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »

And you HAVE to get that before it sets up or it'll turn to concrete ice.  Hate. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #520 on: February 16, 2021, 10:07:50 AM »

And you HAVE to get that before it sets up or it'll turn to concrete ice.  Hate.

It hardens up so bad that even a powerful snowblower won't work and it's up to hacking with metal ice scrapers and shovels.   :fitz:

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #521 on: February 16, 2021, 10:09:49 AM »

But it is a home... I full-time in an RV and am currently in S Texas. I've been using an electric heater to keep the rig warm, to conserve propane. Filled the on-board water tank on Saturday and put the hose away. Backup is an on-board generator and if the gas ran out (it pulls from the main vehicle tank - Class C - and I always fill the gas tank before I park somewhere), then I'd switch to the propane furnace which runs off battery - that should all get me through until it warms back up - but it is supposed to get down to the low 20s again tonight with wind chill in the low teens. Not terrible by the NE Ohio standards I grew up in, but it is a tad chilly when you live in a house on wheels....

Oh I understand. My point is about preparation and having a Plan B... and a Plan C. Many people were not prepared. And didn't even think about it until it hit or about what they would do if they lost power. If you lose power, you can use your generator. And then propane, if needed. You have a plan B.... AND a plan C.  :bigok:
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #522 on: February 16, 2021, 11:46:52 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline BuckeyeRider

« Reply #523 on: February 16, 2021, 03:45:01 PM »

Oh I understand. My point is about preparation and having a Plan B... and a Plan C. Many people were not prepared. And didn't even think about it until it hit or about what they would do if they lost power. If you lose power, you can use your generator. And then propane, if needed. You have a plan B.... AND a plan C.  :bigok:

:thumbsup:  Plan D is I bust out the camping equipment and the kitteh and I ride it out until it warms up. 

(I'm assuming the hotels/motels would be full, but that's sometimes an option as well).

Plan E is cross the border and keep driving until it feels warm, but I need to renew my passport and I have toys they wouldn't like at the border, so that plan is out :-)

Offline DeansZG

• "too much power is just enough"
  • Motorcycles: just a couple
« Reply #524 on: February 17, 2021, 10:22:41 AM »
>>>SNIP<<<  The plow service left an 18" wall at the base of the driveway.

The city plows in my town do that (although not to that amount) & I've been fortunate enough the last couple of snow events, that their last pass coinsides with the time I'm getting home from work, so I can return SOME of that snow they've deposited back into the street where they got it from....On those rare occasions where I've cleaned out the drive approach BEFORE THEIR LAST PASS, I've parked my truck crossways in the drive with two wheels protruding a full tire width past the edge of the approach, just enough so any frozen plow remnants are IN the street, not in my drive blocking the snowmelt from returning TO the street.

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #525 on: February 17, 2021, 12:06:36 PM »
I live in a residential area where the plows come later, so when I fire up the tractor with blower I just blow the street on the "up-plow" side so by the time they hit my driveway they aren't pushing anything.

But I have a tractor with a loader and a front mount snowblower. 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ddBKPvsJvQuSsYRRA

Let's do some science.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #526 on: February 17, 2021, 05:48:00 PM »
Day 3 without power in a total electric home. At least another 3 days before restoration is their best guess.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #527 on: February 17, 2021, 07:39:28 PM »
Day 3 without power in a total electric home. At least another 3 days before restoration is their best guess.

Big backup generator, I hope?

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #528 on: February 17, 2021, 07:56:40 PM »
Yup.  Son just flew back into Houston.  No utilities in the house.  His old high school buddy lives 30 minutes away and has power/heat/water, but just flew into Chicago and told sonny boy to use his place.  Andrew re-packed, grabbed the muttdog and is already there. 
--Tom

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #529 on: February 18, 2021, 05:39:56 AM »
Hah!  30 minutes after he gets to his buddy's apartment, the power went out.  A few minutes later, his roommate calls him and says power's on at his house.  I told him to sit tight and the rolling blackout would be over in an hour.  It was.  Warmth is a wonderful thing.  Lights and a fridge are too.

Hope Bounce is getting some relief up in the DFW area.

We're getting a small storm thru today.  1-2" forecast.  I'll deal with that after it's all over.
--Tom

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #530 on: February 18, 2021, 07:05:48 AM »
We’ve got about an inch so far this morning with more to come.

Here in Pennsylvania, that’s a good thing.  It fills in the potholes.   :crazy:

Offline S391

• Motorcycles: '02 Vstom 1000, '08 Vstar 1100
« Reply #531 on: February 18, 2021, 10:59:41 AM »
My dog stands about 20" tall at the shoulders... we have so much snow my son took the snowblower around the backyard so he had somewhere to go.....

That said, my backyard is starting to look like a WWI battlefield.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #532 on: February 18, 2021, 01:09:04 PM »
My dog stands about 20" tall at the shoulders... we have so much snow my son took the snowblower around the backyard so he had somewhere to go.....

That said, my backyard is starting to look like a WWI battlefield.

:D Happy Doggo!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #533 on: February 18, 2021, 02:17:36 PM »
Izzat a dogsled track? 

:couch:
--Tom

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #534 on: February 19, 2021, 09:57:56 AM »

Big backup generator, I hope?

2000w Wen. Would have been okay for some light and the fridge but since I forgot to get kerosene, my 18,500 btu k heater was useless. The little electric space heater kept the sealed-off living room constant but would lose a degree or two while I had to exit (heat loss) to refill it every 6 hours.

Am considering a multi-fuel one of about 7500w now...

We were told to expect rolling blackouts of from 15-45 minutes. I went down and stayed down for 65 hours with only the occasion 3 minute respite (about 6 total during that time). Got power back yesterday and, after a flicker or two, has stayed on. About the same time they announce they were concluding the rolling blackout. Hmm...

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:08:03 AM by Bounce »

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #535 on: February 19, 2021, 06:05:06 PM »
It's REALLY deep powder over here right now, but that's gonna change next week with several days of above freezing temps next week.

Tomorrow should be some epic snowmobiling in deep powder, which is a blast.

For me, that's the trick here.  Ya gotta find something to do in the snow or you'd lose it.  As it is, I love all 4 seasons here.
Let's do some science.

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #536 on: February 19, 2021, 08:06:45 PM »
As a bonus, NO MOSQUITOS in the woods.    :bigok:

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #537 on: February 20, 2021, 07:37:09 AM »
Last weekend, Fourstring and I walked on the Des Plaines river. It’s never been frozen over before. There was a little open water in the middle, so we couldn’t cross it. We were hoping to try today, before the melt happens. However, he got LASIK yesterday and is not allowed to exercise for the next week. *sadtrombone*
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online miles

• Contributor
« Reply #538 on: February 20, 2021, 08:16:47 AM »
Last weekend, Fourstring and I walked on the Des Plaines river. It’s never been frozen over before. There was a little open water in the middle, so we couldn’t cross it. We were hoping to try today, before the melt happens. However, he got LASIK yesterday and is not allowed to exercise for the next week. *sadtrombone*

What, never?

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #539 on: February 20, 2021, 12:02:17 PM »
As a bonus, NO MOSQUITOS in the woods.    :bigok:

I'll send some over.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #540 on: February 20, 2021, 05:16:31 PM »

What, never?

Probably not never. We’ve only lived here for 8 years.

My Other Hobby

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #541 on: February 21, 2021, 09:29:27 AM »
And highs for the next 10 days range from the 50s to the 70s.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #542 on: February 21, 2021, 12:59:31 PM »
And highs for the next 10 days range from the 50s to the 70s.

Kid was trying to get a tee time for golf at the last minute yesterday.  Booked solid in Houston.
--Tom

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #543 on: February 22, 2021, 12:40:05 PM »
Nine of the next ten days are expected to get above freezing here.  At the risk of being overly optimistic, the end of winter in Milwaukee may be on its way.   :D

Of course, now that I wrote that, it'll blizzard.   :o

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #544 on: February 22, 2021, 09:32:29 PM »
Same here.  Long range forecast is for above average temps.
Let's do some science.

Offline S391

• Motorcycles: '02 Vstom 1000, '08 Vstar 1100
« Reply #545 on: February 23, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »
Nine of the next ten days are expected to get above freezing here.  At the risk of being overly optimistic, the end of winter in Milwaukee may be on its way.   :D

Thanks, you had to jinx us......  ;)

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #546 on: February 24, 2021, 08:27:34 AM »
Even the guy working on the fence was happy it reached 78º yesterday.

https://fjr-tips.org/misc/pics/memes/DancingFool.mp4

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #547 on: February 24, 2021, 01:45:25 PM »

Thanks, you had to jinx us......  ;)

;D