Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bills - paper vs Email  (Read 3857 times)

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: Indian Scout (69), F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R)
Bills - paper vs Email
« on: November 16, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »
It seems all my billers are wanting me to go paperless.
But... I get so fricken much junk-e-mail that I'm afraid I'll miss one, or some...

I'm older, but I work in IT (hardware background) so I'm not a luddite (but definitely a slow adapter - I don't want to 'work' on PC at home).
I've resisted paperless so far, but I see it's inevitable. 

What's a good way / strategy to do paperless billing?
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
Re: Bills - paper vs Email
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:46:49 AM »
I've got a separate email addy just for bills & business.  Less chance of accidentally deleting or losing it in the spam folder.

For some reason I keep getting paper bills from a couple accounts even though I've gone online and selected paperless.

Offline marc11

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:47:25 AM »
I switched to almost all paperless. When I switch I usually set a reminder near the normal bill due date and check to see if the email came for the first couple of cycles. 99 percent of the time it worked fine. For bills where the amount is always the same I just set up repeating payments on my account and never think about it. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
I've been paperless for years. Like Scratch said, separate email for bills.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 11:53:11 AM »
 Paper bills payed online. Printed copy of payment gets stapled to the paper bill, and filed for 1 year. Never had a filing cabinet crash yet.

Offline three west

• Motorcycles: 07 K1200GT
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »
Anybody that has an ebill available from my bank (which is quite a few) I pay that way, if they don't then I still get paper but pay online.  This way I use one site for everything.  I'm not making a damn login for every damn vendor that wants me to go paperless.

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 06:44:58 PM »
We use electronic banking through our Credit Union. I can't remember the last time we actually wrote a check. Most bills with a set amount are paid automatically on a certain day each month. This includes the mortgage, most utilities, cell phones, etc.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: Indian Scout (69), F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 08:44:24 PM »
Anybody that has an ebill available from my bank (which is quite a few) I pay that way,
What does that mean and how does it work?
BTW, I do pay my bills on-line.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 11:56:40 PM »
Anybody that has an ebill available from my bank (which is quite a few) I pay that way,
What does that mean and how does it work?
BTW, I do pay my bills on-line.

With an e-bill your bill shows up at your online bill-pay site with an e-mail notification instead of your mailbox.

I have online banking through my bank, but still get paper statements. I pay all the bills I can through the bank's online bill pay. Not all the bills are available through that service or offer e-bills, but most. The e-bill thing doesn't matter to me since I want an official paper record of my history.

The bills that can't be paid through my bank's online bill-pay are payed at the biller's site unless they require another account. Then they get payed with a paper check. I'm not going to create a separate account for every damn thing I want to pay for online. That's silly.

Offline three west

• Motorcycles: 07 K1200GT
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »
Yeah, what he said (about the ebills).
I pay ALL my bills through my bank's bill pay system, and have done so for a few years now.  Even if the bank doesn't have them set up as a payee I set them up manually.  This means the vendor doesn't get an EFT, but an actual paper check is printed and mailed to them.  I haven't written a check in a year or two.  My wife writes a check to her hairdresser, but that's about it.

I haven't gotten any paper statements for a year or two either.  They are archived online if I ever need one.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »
Other than the mortgage the only bills we have are Cable and Electric.  They both still send a paper bill but are paid online.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »
Other than the mortgage the only bills we have are Cable and Electric.  They both still send a paper bill but are paid online.

You pay for cable? :headscratch:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
Shocking I know.  I don't pay much though.   ;D

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 09:04:47 PM »

No mortgage or cable but how do I get away without paying for electric or gas (no fart jokes please).  I have auto pay to my cc for most reoccurring charges (it gives me points and I pay everything off at months end). 

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 07:38:28 AM »
Just don't pay.  Your house will be dark several hours a day, and probably cold for a few months.  That's the only way to get around the electric bill.

Do you live on a river you could harness?  There's no sun here 6 months out of the year so that's out too.  The only real option is a backyard nuclear power system but the gov't doesn't want you to have one of them even though they are safe and consume their own waste.