Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What did you learn today?  (Read 299766 times)

Flyer and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
Re: What did you learn today?
« Reply #1750 on: December 27, 2020, 08:24:19 AM »
Today I learned that some people think adding "stipulations" to a tire thread will make any difference at all.

https://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=6889.msg207920;topicseen#new

Offline Sock Muppet

« Reply #1751 on: December 27, 2020, 02:24:39 PM »
He's an old man. Cut him some slack.

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #1752 on: December 27, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
Flyer and Clay, I am glad I can help out.

Offline sodapop6620

« Reply #1753 on: December 27, 2020, 03:23:59 PM »
The 100 folds in a chef’s toque are said to represent 100 ways to cook an egg.

Offline sodapop6620

« Reply #1754 on: December 27, 2020, 03:25:45 PM »
Reduviidae, AKA Assassin Bugs
Thousands of species of the aptly named assassin bug crawl the Earth. Most prey on other insects, using a segmented beak to suck out victims' body fluids, and some species even kill bedbugs and roaches. Still, not all are beneficial. There are species that drink blood and prey on vertebrates, and one is even known to bite the eyes of sleeping humans. Another defends itself by spitting toxic saliva that causes blindness. Some produce pain-inducing venom, and others carry what often-fatal disease? More... Discuss

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #1755 on: December 27, 2020, 09:00:32 PM »
Today I learned that some people think adding "stipulations" to a tire thread will make any difference at all.

https://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=6889.msg207920;topicseen#new

:rolf:

He's an old man. Cut him some slack.

Thank you.   :bigok:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #1756 on: December 28, 2020, 08:55:32 PM »
Reduviidae, AKA Assassin Bugs
Thousands of species of the aptly named assassin bug crawl the Earth. Most prey on other insects, using a segmented beak to suck out victims' body fluids, and some species even kill bedbugs and roaches. Still, not all are beneficial. There are species that drink blood and prey on vertebrates, and one is even known to bite the eyes of sleeping humans. Another defends itself by spitting toxic saliva that causes blindness. Some produce pain-inducing venom, and others carry what often-fatal disease? More... Discuss

A subspecies is the carrier for Chagas Disease, which is a real scourge in large parts of South America, and can be found in parts of the US as well:

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/chagas/gen_info/detailed.html#intro
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline sodapop6620

« Reply #1757 on: December 30, 2020, 05:03:58 AM »

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #1758 on: December 30, 2020, 06:31:58 AM »
Today is National Bacon Day.

https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/

That's certainly something to celebrate!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650
« Reply #1759 on: December 30, 2020, 06:53:53 AM »
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1760 on: December 30, 2020, 09:48:27 AM »
I learned that I got a 24 hour FB suspension for talking about how the guards who claimed they were just doing their jobs found out otherwise at Nuremberg. They say it was because it was promoting dangerous individuals or groups. Since the content was about punishment of those people, it must be because their Faux Checkers are scared that a modern Nuremberg will rule likewise against them.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #1761 on: December 30, 2020, 09:54:07 AM »
I learned that I got a 24 hour FB suspension for talking about how the guards who claimed they were just doing their jobs found out otherwise at Nuremberg. They say it was because it was promoting dangerous individuals or groups. Since the content was about punishment of those people, it must be because their Faux Checkers are scared that a modern Nuremberg will rule likewise against them.

Took longer than I care to admit to realize that this wasn't about a racetrack.  :(
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #1762 on: December 30, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »
Wireless charging for elec. vehicles is coming
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130055_wireless-ev-charging-gets-a-boost-single-standard-will-harmonize-systems-up-to-11-kw
SWEET!!

That is excellent! I don't think my Clarity will do wireless charging, but maybe a little upgrade can happen in the future.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1763 on: December 31, 2020, 10:16:32 AM »
I relearned that FB Faux Checkers can't read and will suspend an account about NOT being like Nazis simply because of the photo and not the content.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1764 on: December 31, 2020, 08:38:19 PM »
For some, 'drinking problem' is an oxymoron.

I'm one of the lucky ones!!
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #1765 on: December 31, 2020, 08:44:38 PM »
I used to have a drinking problem but with much practice I became really good at it.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1766 on: January 01, 2021, 09:35:12 AM »
My Brother-Cousin stopped by for a NYE visit yesterday evening.

Ron was a good friend before I met my future wife. They were cousins.

An evening of catching up, music, guitar picking, and BBQ.

What'd I learn? My ones threes and fives.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #1767 on: January 01, 2021, 01:00:38 PM »
Threes?
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1768 on: January 02, 2021, 08:16:12 AM »
Threes?

We were playing and Ron said, "Key of G... now 1, 3, 5". I looked blankly at him and he explained.

If they key is G, that would be 1. Now... if G is 1 what is 2? (A). 3? (B). 5? (E).

Simple really and in common use but my instructor was all about learning to read sheet music so he wanted to avoid teaching that until later.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #1769 on: January 02, 2021, 08:27:05 AM »
Threes?

We were playing and Ron said, "Key of G... now 1, 3, 5". I looked blankly at him and he explained.

If they key is G, that would be 1. Now... if G is 1 what is 2? (A). 3? (B). 5? (E).

Simple really and in common use but my instructor was all about learning to read sheet music so he wanted to avoid teaching that until later.

That's known as the Nashville Number System. It's a nice shorthand way to describe the structure of a song. All you need is the key and everything else is relative to it. It's the way I think about the notes in scales/chords. I don't memorize note names all over the fingerboard. I memorize patterns and what the notes in the pattern are relative to the root. You do need to know all the notes on the low E and A strings as that is typically where the roots are for barre chords.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #1770 on: January 02, 2021, 02:07:43 PM »
Threes?

Appropriate that this is a learning thread. Never heard it referred to that way. Blues as 1,4,5 I use all the time.  But as an oaf that doesn't read music, I'm pretty lacking in the fundamentals. I thought 5 would have been D.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #1771 on: January 03, 2021, 11:00:55 AM »
Today is a Sunday.
Never would have guessed it...
 :-[
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1772 on: January 05, 2021, 06:49:15 PM »
Tonya Roberts - Midge Pinciotti on 'That 70's Show', was a Bond girl. "A View to a Kill,"  1985.

Offline sodapop6620

« Reply #1773 on: January 06, 2021, 04:00:28 AM »
Tonya Roberts - Midge Pinciotti on 'That 70's Show', was a Bond girl. "A View to a Kill,"  1985.

Passed away.

She was also on Charlie's Angles and she played Sheena.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #1774 on: January 06, 2021, 08:19:49 AM »

If you were a bond fan, you knew that the moment she appeared on screen.  ;)  How about Famke Janssen, Michelle Yeoh, Terri Hatcher, and Denise Richards (as a nuclear scientist... really)?

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #1775 on: January 06, 2021, 09:11:17 AM »
Technically yesterday, but I learned that I'm Covid Negative.  My (and the wifes) massage therapist notified us over the weekend that she was sick and had tested positive. The wife and I both had seen her the prior week, so were solidly in the 'exposed' time period. Although asymptomatic, the wife and I thought it responsible to test.

I'll tell you what though, I'll have the sensation of having my brain tickled stamped in my psyche forever.

Having taken a couple days extra off over New Years, we had time to schedule for testing and I only missed one extra day of work. Oh darn... hate having an extra day for oil changes and dismantling of Xmas lights. Darn, I say again, Darn.

I'm writing this one off to the efficacy of masks. In my daily work, I can't tell you how many in a building of 60 people are solidly refusing to wear masks at work (Easily 80%). I wear mine, my people wear theirs, my massage lady wears hers, I wear mine for all interactions. Dunno where she picked it up, but it wasn't passed along to us because of those annoying little pieces of fabric. Wish I could make some of the fools I work with see this as a teaching moment, but sadly, they won't listen.

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline sodapop6620

« Reply #1776 on: January 07, 2021, 04:11:07 AM »
Hey LT, can you send them home without pay for not wearing a mask?  That should get their attention.

Offline sodapop6620

« Reply #1777 on: January 07, 2021, 04:11:37 AM »
I may have posted this before.

Bela Lugosi was buried in full Dracula costume—cape and all

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #1778 on: January 07, 2021, 07:51:29 AM »
Hey LT, can you send them home without pay for not wearing a mask?  That should get their attention.

I wish the owner of the company was behind that. Unfortunately, he's also the guy running around without mask, sanitizing spray bottle in hand and nothing else. OK, to be faaaaaiiiiiiirrr, he has put in all non-contact water and soap access plant wide, and offered sanitizer as well, but in a big confined building, he's banking on 6ft distancing.  *MY* personal employees have been provided with kick-ass masks, but the only time I can actually order usage is when on deliveries at customers sites. That said, my people use them in plant as well, and my recent experience seems to have made even more of an impression on them that the barrier helps.

Ya can't change some peoples minds. You can only watch while they shoot themselves.
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #1779 on: January 07, 2021, 09:22:06 AM »
I learned that the lids for Parmesan cheese containers also fit on Mason jars.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1781 on: January 17, 2021, 12:31:20 PM »
I learned our little town will be having bike nights every Friday evening throughout the summer  :chili:. They do car cruises on Monday nights. Which are nice to just get out and walk around town. They block off main street downtown and it is just foot traffic.  Will probably be more of a HD crowd, but that is fine. I still like to look at them to.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1782 on: January 17, 2021, 03:25:48 PM »
M-DISC (Millennial Disc) is a write-once optical disc technology     
introduced in 2009
available as DVD and Blu-ray discs
data  stored on M-DISC recordings will (are suppose to) last 1,000 years!
You need compatible writer, but they are readable by most (regular) disc drives

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #1783 on: January 17, 2021, 08:50:07 PM »

data  stored on M-DISC recordings will (are suppose to) last 1,000 years!

So long as you have the proper tech to read it.  I worked with the State Archivist, and migrating computer data or maintaining "historic" technology was an ongoing issue.

Case in point, some Vietnam Vets were suing the DoD for Agent Orange exposure.  The computer records of flights applying Agent Orange were still in existence, but were stored on old punch cards.  The machine to read them had been destroyed as part of decommissioning outdated tech, and the courts ruled that the DoD didn't have the duty to reconstruct the machine.  So if the ill Vets wanted to read the punch cards, they bore the financial cost of reconstructing the machine.  It would have been appx. $1 million, with no assurance of winning the case.  The case was dropped.

Oddly, an old tech like microfiche is a good choice as all you need to read it is a light and a magnifying glass.   Otherwise, a book on acid-free paper can last a long time.  I remember that 80 year old books on linen based paper were still good while 20 year old books from wood pulp paper were falling apart at my college library.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline sodapop6620

« Reply #1784 on: January 18, 2021, 08:12:38 AM »
Jan 17th is the birthday for Ben Franklin and Betty White.

I wonder if they dated?

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #1785 on: January 18, 2021, 08:20:24 AM »
Jan 17th is the birthday for Ben Franklin and Betty White.

I wonder if they dated?

Pshaw. I'm betting Betty made Ben a man. MEMORABLY. 

:shahthread:

Great googly-moogly!

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #1786 on: January 18, 2021, 10:01:03 AM »
Out.   :rolf:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #1787 on: Yesterday at 02:27:56 AM »
working 6p to 6a is pretty freakin boring.

Online Flyer

« Reply #1788 on: Yesterday at 06:55:42 PM »
Some people get paid to be bored!
Luxury!!
 ;D

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #1789 on: Yesterday at 08:49:21 PM »
Some people get paid to be bored!
Luxury!!
 ;D

Concur.  I can be bored and not get paid anytime.