Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dear Moto Manufacturers -- I would REALLY like . . . .  (Read 13028 times)

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
Dear Moto Manufacturers -- I would REALLY like . . . .
« on: November 15, 2013, 08:58:53 AM »
What feature (or capability) is missing form your favorite bike?

Me, I'd LOVE day night mirrors, like those found on cars and light trucks since at least the 1950s . . . . . . .

You?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:07:08 PM by bomber »
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: Dear Moto Manbufacturers -- I would REALLY like . . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »
I wouldn't mind lighted switch gear. 

Oh and a high beam indicator lamp that wasn't brighter than the high beams themselves.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 09:05:08 AM »
Boy, I dunno. My Viffer is pretty much perfect for me. That's probably one reason I haven't bothered upgrading to another bike.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:06:18 AM »
Color display with integrated GPS like the new MV Agusta.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »
Oh and a high beam indicator lamp that wasn't brighter than the high beams themselves.

Dimable instrument panel lights is on my list too, but here's a hack for this particular problem.

Automotive window tint.

I was damn near blinded the first time I rode my Tiger at night . . . . little circles of the darkest window tint I could find cut down the glare to a dull roar . . . . .

It only lasts for a year and a helf or so, but it's cheap . . . . .I'm still using the small roll I bought 5 years ago.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:37:03 AM by bomber »
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 09:20:14 AM »
Standard driving lights.

Hydraulic lifters.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 09:24:02 AM »

Dimable instrument panel lights is on my list too, but here's a hack for this particular problem.

Automotive window tint.

I was damn near blinded the first time I rode my Tiger at night . . . . little circles of the darkest window tint I could find cut down the glare to a dull road . . . . .

It only lasts for a year and a helf or so, but it's cheap . . . . .I'm still using the small roll I bought 5 years ago.

Probably looks a lot better than a piece of electrical tape too.

My issue with the switches is that there are getting to be some many of them now that the ones you don't use all the time are all but useless at night.

Offline BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 09:37:41 AM »
Standard driving lights.

Hydraulic lifters.

Buy a Harley?
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:40:15 AM »
Standard driving lights.

Hydraulic lifters.

Buy a Harley?

There are upsides and downsides to everything...

Offline RedCBRRider

• Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200GSA
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »
How about some factory engineered places to mount things, like a GPS for example.

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 09:45:13 AM »
Accessory wiring ports and ABS.  It seems to me ABS should be more prevalent within motorcyles.

Offline BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 09:47:30 AM »
Dimable dash lights:  my Monster has a dimable lcd dash.  It's nice...but needs to dim even more.  I agree - stop blinding me at night!

Fully customizable lcd dash's with skins:  seriously:  just start putting up a 4x6 dash that a flat, touch screen lcd.  Let me PICK what I want to see.  Highway cruise?  How about a HUGE MPH number and smaller temp, fuel range, etc. skin.  Or if I'm on the track:  HUGE RPM and Coolant Temps...It's not like I give a rats poop about RPMs when I'm droning along at 65 on the freeway...

REAL Throttle by wire settings:  Hey, just because YOU think a rain mode is needed and that neutering my bike means something doesn't mean it does.  What I want is to control the aggressiveness of the throttle - not the powerband, not amount of throttle.  In the rain I want simply a soft delivery in the first 75% of the throttle...but full power if I need it.  I want to tailor that throttle myself.  I don't want to mess with fueling or anything like that - I do want to control the way the throttle works.

Cruise Control:  with throttle by wire here, please just make Cruise a standard feature. 

Real maintenance intervals:  how about figuring out a way to indicate what really needs to be adjusted for maintenance?  Like, don't go tell me to check my valves if none are out of spec?  Surely there's a way to know when the valves are out of spec?  And come on, why should riderse have to go out and buy a GSG9 computer to figure out default codes?  If you've got a full custom LCD display, just have a "maintenance" screen and post the issue there.

I'm sure there's more...

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • Freezing worms makes them easier to sharpen
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 09:50:44 AM »
bikes to have kick starts again. And cut down on all the electronic junk.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »
Dimable dash lights:  my Monster has a dimable lcd dash.  It's nice...but needs to dim even more.  I agree - stop blinding me at night!

Fully customizable lcd dash's with skins:  seriously:  just start putting up a 4x6 dash that a flat, touch screen lcd.  Let me PICK what I want to see.  Highway cruise?  How about a HUGE MPH number and smaller temp, fuel range, etc. skin.  Or if I'm on the track:  HUGE RPM and Coolant Temps...It's not like I give a rats poop about RPMs when I'm droning along at 65 on the freeway...

REAL Throttle by wire settings:  Hey, just because YOU think a rain mode is needed and that neutering my bike means something doesn't mean it does.  What I want is to control the aggressiveness of the throttle - not the powerband, not amount of throttle.  In the rain I want simply a soft delivery in the first 75% of the throttle...but full power if I need it.  I want to tailor that throttle myself.  I don't want to mess with fueling or anything like that - I do want to control the way the throttle works.

Cruise Control:  with throttle by wire here, please just make Cruise a standard feature. 

Real maintenance intervals:  how about figuring out a way to indicate what really needs to be adjusted for maintenance?  Like, don't go tell me to check my valves if none are out of spec?  Surely there's a way to know when the valves are out of spec?  And come on, why should riderse have to go out and buy a GSG9 computer to figure out default codes?  If you've got a full custom LCD display, just have a "maintenance" screen and post the issue there.

I'm sure there's more...

This is what discourages me about newer bikes, and vehicles in general. Too many electronic "features" that can't be altered or even repaired by the home mechanic.

The big trucks at work are especially bad in the TBW dept. I freakin' hate it when the ECU overrides my foot.

Offline BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »
The ECU doesn't have eyes...and therein is the fault:  the ecu can only see the feedback from the machine:  it cannot see the road...yet.

SKYNET IS COMING!   8)

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 10:32:43 AM »
I wouldn't mind lighted switch gear. 

I like both these options.

ABS standard on everything (that's happening organically anyway), with an option to disengage for those power riders who can do everything better.

Front pannier options for some bikes; balancing the weight of soft luggage off the tank seems to make a lot of sense.

Fully adjustable suspension on everything. They don't need to be race-spec Ohlins on everything, but for instance, what the FJR comes with is a good base minimum.

A few more spare amps across the board.

$.02
this signature on hold pending review

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »

Hydraulic lifters.

As long as engines rev as high as many do, this is a self-defeating design. But for all the lower revving, lower-power engines, HELL YES!!!!

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »

Hydraulic lifters.

As long as engines rev as high as many do, this is a self-defeating design. But for all the lower revving, lower-power engines, HELL YES!!!!

I read this, but I don't understand why that's the case.  What is it about hydraulic lifters that don't allow high rpms?  Just the rate of fill?

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 10:37:21 AM »

Hydraulic lifters.

I read this, but I don't understand why that's the case.  What is it about hydraulic lifters that don't allow high rpms?  Just the rate of fill?

Pretty much, yeah. Most oiling systems tend to cavitate (get air pockets) at higher rates. Increasing the sump to about double the current volume and increasing feed galley size is a good way around it, but no one wants to build an engine that big, and remote sumps also have volume issues at high rates.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »
the rate of fill couple with the pumping down (loosing fluid -- linked but not quite the same) . . ..

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »
the rate of fill couple with the pumping down (loosing fluid -- linked but not quite the same) . . ..

also, hydraulic lifters are hefty -- adding weight where it it least needed.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »

good point; hydraulic lifters work by controlled pressure loss. It's a fairly complicated system.

In any case, you'll (likely) never see it on higher-revving systems. :(

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »

About 50hp.  :lol:

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 12:21:47 PM »
A stock saddle that doesn't feel like I'm sitting on a 2x4 which forces me to spend another few hundred bucks on an after-market model. (I know...not gonna happen)
Self-cancelling turn signals.
Find a way to shave 75-100lbs off the FJR. Or I could just go get some liposuction....
Throttle-by-wire.
Standard cruise control. Real cruise control...not a throttle locky thing.
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »
Yes a much better seat is probably the one thing that most bikes could use. I like the day night mirror idea. My ST had dim-able instrument lights. Self canceling turn signals and ABS is probably something that should come std on most bikes. Larger gas tanks please and mount them under the seat where they belong (or at least mount part of them under the seat). Belt drives on high HP sport bikes would be cool.
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline Justin

• Hi, I'm Phteven
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 01:15:28 PM »

Doesn't matter what bike you have, I'll always take another 50 HP.
FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Led Rider LED Motorcycle Aux Lights - Use discount code "STO15"

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »
A stock saddle that doesn't feel like I'm sitting on a 2x4 which forces me to spend another few hundred bucks on an after-market model.

:withstupid:

Offline Doug Just Doug

• Will Ride For Food
    • Tilted Horizons (on hiatus)
  • Motorcycles: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
Re: Dear Moto Manufacturers -- I would REALLY like . . . .
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »
Who wouldn't want a loud horn, self-cancelling turn signals, heated grips and enough electrical output to power a reasonable number of gadgets? 

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
Every KLR rider on the planet, it would seem.

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »

not ova here.  :LOL:

i haven't rode my bike enough to really decide on anything it needs... hmm.. guess ABS would be nice but you can get it on the newer models. 

guess I'm happy..
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline phoenix

• Motorcycles: CBR600RR, KX250F
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 07:30:21 PM »

+1

light weight and stripped of as much as possible for a day-ride toy.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: Indian Scout (69), F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R)
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 07:49:33 PM »
If you buy a new bike, the dealer should set the suspension for you or how you want it, including different springs as needed.

Every ST or touring bike should have a spare switched power fuse and a spare switch on the handlebars that the owner can change from momentary to on-off (or a way to use the starter button for something else when the bike is running?).

Sensor that measures the ambient light and changes the brightness of the dash, tail and brake lights.

Optional high output stator.

Bluetooth for low fuel, oil, high temp, etc...  to start.

+ 1 on the ecu error code read out.  So easily done w/ any digital guage.

Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 07:55:32 PM »
If you buy a new bike, the dealer should set the suspension for you or how you want it, including different springs as needed.

You're a funny guy. NSFW

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Moto Morphin Power Ranger

• Ottenere una moto vera
  • Motorcycles: 2009 Moto-Guzzi Griso 8V, 1978 Yamaha XS1100
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 06:46:52 AM »

I think this should be mandatory for selling a bike. I feel they can charge on the spring but I believe a set up should be free
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The humiliation I suffered that day will not go unpunished. My pain is the bubbling cauldron of molten steel that will forge the saber of your demise. I shall not be denied my vengeance Haa Ha Ha HaaHa Ha Ha Ha

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »

That would add another $1500 to $2000 to the price.

The problem is space.

+ 1 on the ecu error code read out.  So easily done w/ any digital guage.

Buy an FJR. Takes me 10 minutes to check the whole system.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2013, 08:14:40 AM »
Decent sticking tires that last 10,000 miles.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 08:23:22 AM »
I would really like to see a Japanese competitor to the KTM 500 EXC. Surely someone can take a modern 450 enduro bike and make it street legal. The DRZ400S, DR650, XR650L are all quite long in the tooth and in need of an update.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 09:11:11 AM »
The problem is space.
I know.  I'm saying I would REALLY like the mfgs to include that (little bit of) space in the design.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
I would really like to see a Japanese competitor to the KTM 500 EXC. Surely someone can take a modern 450 enduro bike and make it street legal. The DRZ400S, DR650, XR650L are all quite long in the tooth and in need of an update.

I'd be all over a WR400-450R

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 09:16:03 AM »
You mean like the CB500X?

Offline FJRider

• Banned at ST.n!
    • Zombo
  • Motorcycles: 2009 FJR1300AE, 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ABS
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »

+1

light weight and stripped of as much as possible for a day-ride toy.

They should leak oil too. And whatever happened to leather strap clutches and spark advance levers.  >:(
A man is only as old as the woman he feels - Groucho Marx

Offline FJRider

• Banned at ST.n!
    • Zombo
  • Motorcycles: 2009 FJR1300AE, 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ABS
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
I would like to see a daylight readable color display panel that would give speed, revs, vitals, and GPS data in an all-in-one Add to that a built-in High Definition Camera mounted in the headlight assembly, Wi-Fi, Spot GPS capability, etc.
A man is only as old as the woman he feels - Groucho Marx

Offline vfrrider

• Whoopee's the name, safety's the game.
  • Motorcycles: 1993 Honda VFR750F
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »
Bring back the mid size shaft drive bike, ala the XS750G and GS750G.

Larry
VFRrider

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
Bring back the mid size shaft drive bike, ala the XS750G and GS750G.

Larry
VFRrider

without the firing problems when it was wet.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »

No, that's a street bike. I want a modern street-legal Japanese dirt bike. Like Yamaha making a street legal version of the WR450. It already has a headlight and tail light. Just add turn signals and horn and the DOT paperwork crap. Most dirt bike titles say "Not for Highway Use" or something like that which makes it hard to get a plate for them in PA. Not impossible, just hard.

Or Suzuki freshening the DRZ400S by giving it a sixth gear and maybe 50cc more displacement.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »

... and the DOT paperwork crap. Most dirt bike titles say "Not for Highway Use" or something like that which makes it hard to get a plate for them in PA. Not impossible, just hard.

Therein lies the problem. On top of that is the local state anvil.

It's almost like they don't want you to ride a motorized vehicle off the pavement.

Unless you're hunting of course.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline malbojah

• Motorcycles: FZ1, Burgman 400
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
Self leveling headlights. Nothing like going riding at night and going from 80+ feet of visibility to 15 feet as soon as leaned over for an off ramp

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2013, 06:41:02 PM »
Accurate speedometers, odometers and fuel gauges.
They're instruments of measurement, not nannied video games... :fitz:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison
"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow: any deviation has ramifications". - Internal Combustion, explained.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
Accurate speedometers, odometers and fuel gauges.
They're instruments of measurement, not nannied video games... :fitz:

They're no more or less accurate than the ones in your 4 wheeled vehicles.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2013, 08:34:36 PM »
They're no more or less accurate than the ones in your 4 wheeled vehicles.
"Two wrongs don't make a right". - My Mom
 :razz:
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison
"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow: any deviation has ramifications". - Internal Combustion, explained.