Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Oil fired furnace question  (Read 5341 times)

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Oil fired furnace question
« on: November 15, 2013, 05:13:45 AM »
Last year, we had a new furnace and central air distribution fan installed.  The furnace has been flawless until last night.

It was on, the house was toasty and then we noticed, TOO toasty.  So I went to check the thermostat.  12 degrees above the setting.  Turning off the heat at the thermostat did nothing.  Turning on the AC part of the thermostat did nothing.  The only way to turn off the furnace was to shut off the manual switch or kick the breaker.  Anytime there's power going to the furnace, it's on, regardless of what the thermostat is set at.

Any quick fix suggestions?  It's still under warranty so we're calling the furnace guy today, but if there was a quick reset thingy, we'd try that first...

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I AM A GOD!
  • Motorcycles: Custom Built '83 KZ440/'07 XL1200C (sold. Let's not do that again)/'17 T120 Black/'16 Moto Guzzi Audace
Re: Oil fired furnace question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:19:49 AM »
I work with an HVAC guy. I'll check with him at breaktime.
I am The Ban.

Online chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:29:26 AM »
Also, reach out to Craig Gibson aka SwingSet at Rant-Fu podcast. I'll pm you his email infoz.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I AM A GOD!
  • Motorcycles: Custom Built '83 KZ440/'07 XL1200C (sold. Let's not do that again)/'17 T120 Black/'16 Moto Guzzi Audace
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 06:20:53 AM »
He says to locate the check valve. It's on the outflow pipe from the furnace. Its probably just stuck. Its brass or painted green. Give it light taps with a hammer to loosen it. If this works, monitor and replace if necessary. 
I am The Ban.

Offline marc11

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 06:23:56 AM »
Could it be a bad thermostat?  If it isn't kickingbin the ac either then the problem may not be with the furnace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:02:44 AM »
Bad limit switch?

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:08:17 AM »
It's all still under warranty so the HVAC guy said he'll be out today.  When I find out, I'll post up.

Online Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • I AM A GOD!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 07:13:01 AM »
Did you check to see if you have any goats or cats gumming things up? You know how they can get into everything.
I am The Ban.

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 07:13:21 AM »
...and let me add,  all I know is how to set the thermostat, trip the breaker and turn the manual switch on and off. :redface:

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 07:14:06 AM »
Did you check to see if you have any goats or cats gumming things up? You know how they can get into everything.

All cats are accounted for. :shrug:

Goats? We ain't got no steenkin' goats.

Offline marc11

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 07:15:33 AM »

That YOU know of. Those things are sneaky.

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 07:24:09 AM »

That YOU know of. Those things are sneaky.

If it turns out to be goats,  we can all laugh about it over the open pit barbecue next week.   :firedevil:

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 07:44:19 AM »
...and let me add,  all I know is how to set the thermostat, trip the breaker and turn the manual switch on and off. :redface:

The pussification of America continues.... :rolf:

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 08:39:08 AM »

The pussification of America continues.... :rolf:

To be fair, I wired the entire kitchen, including the island outlets.  (passed inspection too).  Just no experience with HVAC.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 08:46:13 AM »

To be fair, I wired the entire kitchen, including the island outlets.  (passed inspection too).  Just no experience with HVAC.

Inspection?!?  See previous comment.

:couch:
 :bigsmile:

At least it's warming up this weekend.

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 08:53:30 AM »

:couch:
 :bigsmile:

At least it's warming up this weekend.

Had to.  It was part of the house renovation.  The builder wouldn't build with out permits.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 09:02:24 AM »
Not likely the thermostat (don't ask, you can figure it out) . . . . . .much more likely the control board of the furnace itself.

Hooray for warranties!
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 09:17:39 AM »
I'm willing to work on a number of things, but HVAC isn't one of them.  Lots of sensors, safeties etc that I don't really understand.  Some low voltage, some normal some high voltage.  Trial and error can get expensive there...

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 09:26:32 AM »
- A Man's Got to Know his Limitations  . . . . . .

I can check for the presence of electricty and fuel into the magic box, but, beyond that, the pros get called.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 08:31:03 PM »
Weird.  It was (and continues) to work fine now.  He thinks maybe some bugs or something were gumming it up.  We'll see how long it lasts

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 08:31:31 AM »
Im going to say thermostat. Try disconnecting the red wire from the stat. If heat shuts off when doing this, stat is the problem. If not, problem is in furnace

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 08:49:21 AM »

lol... true, unfortunately doing electrical work and not having the required inspection gives your insurance company a reason not to pay if your house burns down ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 02:17:48 PM »
UPDATE:

It took several move visits from the HVAC guy, but he finally was there when it did it.  Turns out it was a sticky relay.  He had to replace the entire control board-thingy to fix it.  He said he hadn't seen that before and it was pretty scary--could definitely cause a fire.  He was going to report it to the manufacturer as a potentially serious problem.  (Resolved in March 2014)

Online Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »
Not likely the thermostat (don't ask, you can figure it out) . . . . . .much more likely the control board of the furnace itself.

Hooray for warranties!

Prize awarded!

Offline Wesley

• Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 07:58:21 AM »
Ah, circuit boards....

Two years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night to a cold, thick smoke-filled house in January.  Electrical fire smell (didn't sound my fire alarms).  My bedroom is in the basement and our kids' bedrooms are upstairs.  My wife learned that I can scale a flight of stairs in 3 steps to check on our kids!  Scary feeling waking up disoriented thinking there's a fire.

The culprit was a fried circuit board.  They aren't cheap--$650.  Of course, ours was out of warranty by 10 months.  The HVAC guy said he was surprised there was no fire--only smoldering.  He had never seen that happen before.