Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: F1 thread  (Read 26242 times)

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
Re: F1 thread
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2016, 04:01:01 PM »
Watching the replays, I thought Kyvat's move was okay too. The onboard shots in the link you provided make it even more clear. Now, I think Kvyat would have been a madman to NOT make that move.

Totally fun race to watch.  :'( for Ricciardo. I wonder where he would have ended up? As fun as it was to watch him fight his way back through the field, I think it would have been more fun to watch him defend.
A man with no sig

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »
Don't try to publicly humiliate a Russian before his home GP.

:lol:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2016, 11:50:37 PM »
 :lol:   He definitely Pastored him.

I was watching it without the commentary and replayed those corners a few times to try and figure out what happened. When I realized that Kvyat hit him twice...   Wow.
A man with no sig

Offline Acadian Rider

• Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2016, 07:12:43 AM »

I think he simply fell under the pressure of his home GP.  He will now have to face the added pressure of having Verstappen wanting his seat next year. 

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2016, 08:48:32 AM »

I think he simply fell under the pressure of his home GP.  He will now have to face the added pressure of having Verstappen wanting his seat next year.

I agree.  I was being facetious. 

Kvyat's initial punch of the Ferrari was him being too aggressive in the first corner.  The second hit appeared to be Seb's fault as much as Danii's as Seb checked-up very quickly leaving the Russian with nowhere to go other than Seb's gearbox.

Did you hear Seb's radio after he was knocked out?  I've never heard him that upset. 

here's a nice video of the two hits.

! No longer available

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2016, 06:15:27 PM »

Did you hear Seb's radio after he was knocked out?  I've never heard him that upset. 

That was awesome.   :lol:

I'll admit, though, that I was surprised they played it, especially with the race being in Russia. Surely the production crew had to work pretty hard to get all those beeps in and air it that fast.

And I wonder who will get Verstappen's Toro Rosso seat?     ;)
A man with no sig

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »

On the 2nd hit, Seb may have had some problems because of the 1st hit such as a puncture or maybe he wanted to be sure that there was no suspension damage or damage to the rear before going all out again.     

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2016, 08:27:10 AM »
Well, that happened fast.

Starting with the Spanish GP, Verstappen will be driving for Red Bull. Kvyat's been demoted to Toro Rosso.
A man with no sig

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2016, 10:35:55 AM »
Well, that happened fast.

Starting with the Spanish GP, Verstappen will be driving for Red Bull. Kvyat's been demoted to Toro Rosso.

:o

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2016, 07:08:59 PM »
I actually did not know until yesterday that Verstappen had been promoted.  He surely delivered.  I kept waiting for him to make a mistake when under pressure from Kimi but it never happened. I think we will now have to call him the Ice Man II.   

It was good to see teams other than Mercedes fighting for the win.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2016, 08:55:46 PM »
Wow moment with the AMG boys taking each other out. 

Is Max the next big thing?  The kid is proving to be the real deal.

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »
So who got the blame for crashing Rosberg?

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »
IMO Rosberg took himself out by not leaving an ounce of room on his aggressive block.  Hamilton had one heck of a momentum going for a pass.  I never did follow up to see what race control decided on the incident.  I'm off to crash.net and planetf1 to see.   

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2016, 07:32:16 PM »
The stewards ruled Hamilton-Rosberg crash was racing incident.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/05/15/hamilton-rosberg-stewards/

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2016, 09:01:26 PM »
I call racing incident too. Two guys going for the same space and not enough time for either to react.

Rosberg's mistake started it, though. He had selected the wrong engine mode and was way down on power. That's why Lewis closed so fast.

Lauda blasted Hamilton right after it happened since he was the following driver. I don't know if he changed his mind after watching the replay.
A man with no sig

Offline Loki

• Motorcycles: Hondas
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2016, 10:20:08 PM »
The following driver has to maintain control of his vehicle.

Hamilton went for an aggressive inside pass, typical baby move from him.

Rossberg, well he went a bit harsh on his defense of the corner, plus had the wrong mode selected. But had the position.

Hamiltons attempt shows his cocky attitude and careless attempts to take things way to quick and aggressive. I guess every one should just move over and let him by, after all, he is the $50 million dollar man......blah

L;
I'm lucky that in my life, I've mostly gotten away with stupid.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2016, 05:46:57 AM »
I saw a great analysis on SkySports on this.  Nico was in the wrong engine map mode and his car started to enter the regenerative stage when exiting the corner which Lewis caught up with him so quickly.  Nico could be seen playing with his controls during that corner and on the straight where Lewis went for the pass. 

Lewis, on the other hand, saw Nico's rain light flash knowing that means he was slowing due to being in regenerate mode so he quickly kept his momentum and went for the pass.

Back on he onboard with Nico and you see him overreact by an aggressive angle to cut Hamilton's attempt. 

I don't care for either driver on this team.  Nico is a poor loser and Lewis has some growing up to do.  But, I more firmly believe Nico was at fault after seeing SkySports 5 min. break down.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2016, 02:53:38 PM »
I feel bad for Riccardo, but I've lost a little respect for him after he publicly tossed his team under the bus.  When a driver screws up, team members don't get a mic and camera shoved in their face tying to get them to squeal of their driver.  I believe racers shouldn't air their dirty laundry publicly. 

http://en.f1i.com/news/57455-i-dont-know-go-ricciardo.html

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »
The team had to crawl from under the bus for him to toss 'em under it. Facts are facts. He had it in hand and they fucked up. Period. There's no excuse for that type of screw up and the team needs to own it as much as the driver does when they eat it.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Offline Loki

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2016, 10:02:18 PM »
Still think the "issues" with Hamilton's fuel system, was a load of crap to build his ego....." came from back there to dominate the race".....blah.

The Red Bull team did screw up, they will live with it for a while...but, Ricardo shouldn't have aired it out in public.

When Hamilton went inside at the chicane, then cut Ricardo almost into the wall....yea Hamilton didn't do anything wrong there....he truly is the 'chosen' one..

Nice to see Honda do decent..Force India, wow....The Haas team sure is looking well for a first year team.

But, this is just my opinion...

L;

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2016, 10:29:53 PM »
...and I like most of it.

I'm willing to give Ricciardo a bit of a pass given the emotion of the moment. He didn't burn any bridges, just expressed his frustration.  And, really, he was less surly than Hamilton was a year ago. And to his credit, he was smart enough to know he shouldn't say too much when he was that pissed off. I think I was older than him when I learned that.

Red Bull is owning it. I was listening to the BBC review of the race and one of them, I think McNish, said Marko apologized to Riccardo's parents after the race "... and he doesn't apologize often."

We'll see how they work together in Canada.

Force India: Wow is about right. Fun fact: the team has four podiums in their entire existence. Perez has three of them.

Ferrari: Trouble in paradise.

Williams: Where'd they go?

Sauber: :facepalm:
A man with no sig

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2016, 06:20:36 AM »

Force India: Wow is about right. Fun fact: the team has four podiums in their entire existence. Perez has three of them.

And to think McLaren kept JB over Perez.   ???

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2016, 08:21:19 PM »
Just in case you want to watch even more racing: the NBC Sports Live Extra app -- on Android and Roku and, I assume, every other platform -- carries the GP2 races.

The coverage is great. You don't need a subscription to watch them (you do for F1). They're in the"Replays" section, so it's on demand. Not sure how many days they keep them.

A man with no sig

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2016, 08:18:50 AM »
Electronic turn limit detection? Or some such nonsense. So you can get penalized for running a bit wide 4 times ? What's the reasoning behind this? To keep overly optomisitc drivers in check? Just a safety thing?
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2016, 08:39:21 AM »
I'm a fan of the electronic system because race direction has been too inconsistent calling track limit violations this year using their own eyes.  At least this will provide a more accurate detection if all four are off or not. 

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2016, 08:40:02 AM »
Now, what needs to change is a relaxing of the strict pit to car communications this year. 

Online slayman

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2016, 08:50:26 AM »
Yeah that's' pretty subjective as well. Code words perhaps?
That four wheels off thing though....sooner or later that's going to bite you. Except, I guess, in instances where the track is defined by paint only.
In the mean time, since the Merc's had it sown up, I found the leak in my rear tire.....plug and replace as soon as convenient or plug and ride on, rhetorically speaking.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2016, 06:11:34 PM »
Electronic turn limit detection? Or some such nonsense. So you can get penalized for running a bit wide 4 times ? What's the reasoning behind this? To keep overly optomisitc drivers in check? Just a safety thing?

It's more about trying to keep drivers from getting an unfair advantage than about safety. They only put the detectors in the two corners where the stewards thought going over the curbs might improve lap time.

In a lot of the other corners, they raised the curbs which some drivers argue makes them less safe.

Skipped the Hungary race because I was busy, but I often do blow this one off because it's dull. Stuff I read said it lived up to the billing. But the championship race got a little more interesting.

A man with no sig

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2016, 01:13:02 AM »
I think this is good news. The radio ban is gone, effective immediately. Starting this weekend, the pits can tell the driver anything they want with one exception. There is radio silence from the start of the formation lap to the start of the race so teams can't coach the driver through the start procedure. They're on their own there. Comments about Ecclestone's mom are also a bad idea but they didn't make it official.

With Rosberg penalized 3 points for a radio call at Silverstone, it would be interesting if he lost the championship by 1 or 2.

They also ditched the halo and other head protection ideas for 2017.
A man with no sig

Online thatguy

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2016, 05:29:25 AM »
WTF is wrong with F1? Ditching the halo? Fuel for the Bianchi lawsuit that F1 doesn't care for the driver's safety. Clowns one and all.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2016, 05:48:35 AM »
:facepalm: 

I really like the aspect of the radio ban on coaching on items like, "you can go faster in this corner."  I just don't like the communication ban's effect on not being able to tell the driver there's something wrong w/ the car and how to fix it.  That's a safety issue to me.

Regarding the halo, I don't get it.  Nico and Seb both say most drivers are in favor of it.  WTF1!?

And, I haven't read the latest on Bernie's M-I-L situation.  Is she still held hostage?  Off to the google machine for me.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
Oh, man. I forgot she was kidnapped. That was on the insensitive side.

Rosberg is speaking up about the halo delay and I think a lot of the other drivers will jump on that train too. You know every reporter in the paddock is going to ask about it -- low hanging fruit for them -- so we should see quote-a-rama.

The Strategy Group said it hadn't been tested enough. Rosberg just went Captain Obvious and said why aren't we testing it this weekend then? And at Spa? There's as much time to test it now as there will be later.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:46:19 PM by squeezer »
A man with no sig

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2016, 11:18:14 PM »
The FIA has now decided that every driver on the grid should try the halo before the end of the season. Four drivers from four teams will run it tomorrow,  though maybe for only a lap. It'll be Rosberg, Sainz, Hulkenberg, and Ricciardo.

Sainz said the run to Earth Rouge was perfect for finding out if it blocks your vision. :eek:
A man with no sig

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2016, 08:54:36 AM »
Didn't see this coming:  Rosberg just announced his retirement. Having reached his goal, he said he's decided to spend more time with his family. I like Rosberg and hate to see him go.

It should be fun, though, to watch people jockey for that seat.
A man with no sig

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2016, 09:14:23 AM »
Wow, I thought your post was an early April Fool's joke.  Heck, I was even compelled to fact check because I read nothing of the sort up through last night on the various sites I typically visit.

I suppose any penalty to Lewis for not following team orders will not likely involve letting him go (like that was going to be on the table).

:popcorn:

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2016, 09:19:02 AM »
Wouldn't it be fun to see Max as Lewis' teammate?  I appreciate the dominance of Mercedes but have found it difficult to like either driver.  Both were sore losers and Lewis always appeared to carry a pretty big chip on his shoulder.

So, let's get some more drama on that team and put Max in the seat!  :lol:

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2016, 02:25:14 PM »
This way Nico will be an undefeated champion.  Get while the getting is good.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2016, 10:45:54 PM »
You know, I think that's actually part of it. He sounds convinced that this year was the best he could ever do.

Max going there would be a gas. If only...

I was wondering, if Hulkenberg hadn't signed with Renault, if they'd have just scooped him up for a 1 year try out while waiting for Alonso or Vettel to come free for 2018. You know -- German driver with great promise, already in the Mercedes family -- it makes sense. I'm willing to bet decent cash that Hulkenberg is sitting at home wondering the same thing. That guy has some special super power for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A man with no sig

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2016, 05:35:47 AM »
I feel for the Hulkster and would love to see him in a decent car.  The perk would be the crew would be used to the first name.

Meanwhile, here are some of the better Memes on the net about Nico's replacement. 

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »
:lol:  Another go round with a Lewis/Alonso team would be interesting too.
A man with no sig

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2016, 11:38:31 AM »
The Silver Arrows may not be the team to beat next year. It will depend on who gets it right quicker under the 2017 regulations for cars. Right now, nobody knows because nobody has been able to compare what they have with what the other teams have. 

If Red Bull gets it right from the very get go, it will be interesting to see Max fight it out with Daniel.     

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2016, 12:44:12 PM »
True. Red Bull still seem like the aero kings and that's probably key to next year. It's still got to be seen as the plum seat, though.

Loved this 2017 grid summary from pitpass.com.

Who Goes Where 2017 Amended

02/12/2016

Today's shock news gives the 'Who Goes Where' grid outlook for 2017 a slightly different look.

Driver   Nat   Team   Comment

Hamilton   GBR   Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team   Confirmed
TBC      Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team   
Ricciardo   AUS   Red Bull Racing   Talking to lawyer
Verstappen   NED   Red Bull Racing   Confirmed & Watertight
Bottas   FIN   Williams Martini Racing   Talking to lawyer
Stroll   CAN   Williams Martini Racing   Talking to Dad
Vettel   GER   Scuderia Ferrari   Talking to lawyer
Raikkonen   FIN   Scuderia Ferrari   Talking to lawyer
Alonso   ESP   McLaren Honda   Talking to lawyer
Vandoorne   BEL   McLaren Honda   Confirmed
Perez   ME   Sahara Force India F1 Team   Talking to lawyer
Ocon   FRA   Sahara Force India F1 Team   Confirmed
Sainz   ESP   Scuderia Toro Rosso   Talking to lawyer & Dad
Kvyat   RUS   Scuderia Toro Rosso   Talking to Putin
Hulkenberg   GER   Renault Sport Formula One Team   Talking to lawyer
Palmer   GBR   Renault Sport Formula One Team   Talking to lawyer & Dad
Wehrlein   GER   Manor Racing Team   Praying to God
Manor Racing Team   
Ericsson   SWE   Sauber F1 Team   Confirmed
Nasr   BRZ   Sauber F1 Team   Registered with Kickstarter
Grosjean   FRA   Haas F1 Team   Talking to lawyer
Magnussen   DEN   Haas F1 Team   Confirmed
A man with no sig

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2016, 03:49:44 PM »
Agreed that having a seat in a Silver Arrow will still be a plum seat next year. No matter who gets it right from the very get go, they are a big budget team that will be competitive sooner or later. 

On another note, when it was announced that Stroll would be driving for Williams next year, it made the National news here in Canada. It will be interesting to see if the boy with money can race with the big boys.   

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »
  Talking to lawyer

:lol:

I'm looking forward to next season.  The cars will be sexy again and the cars will have way more mechanical grip due to the super wide new tires.

Online slayman

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2016, 06:24:21 PM »
MotoGP racer Valentino Rossi has surprisingly put his name forward to replace Nico Rosberg at Mercedes, saying "how could I say no?".(Autoweek)
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38219470

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online thatguy

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2016, 08:40:24 PM »
Valentino has tested for The Prancing Pony and put up some very respectable laps in the car. Would be interesting......

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2016, 09:13:52 PM »
He's been teasing us for years.

I think he still believes he has 1 more 2 wheeled championship. I'm not sure, but I'll root for him regardless of the endeavors he perseveres.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2016, 08:37:27 AM »
VR will be 38 at the start of next F1 season. I highly doubt that he will race for the F1 Mercedes team next season. 

Maybe Mercedes will consider someone like Wehrlein who is already in the Mercedes system and who gained some F1 racing experience with Manor this year.   

Offline Loki

« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2016, 09:47:18 AM »
Keep Wehrlein where he is for another year, good seat time there...

Get Alonzo for a single year contract, sit back and smile..... 8)

Hamilton with continue to be a whimpering bitch, until someone with some weight, like Alonzo, puts him in his place.

Vettel and Raikkonen make a good team with the Scuderia.

The rest can scramble which ever way they want, it will still be the top 3, then the rest.

But, JMHO.

L;