Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: F1 thread  (Read 26246 times)

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
Re: F1 thread
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
Finally looked up this year's television schedule. Only two grands prix -- U.S. and Mexico -- will be on broadcast TV (ABC). Everything else is on ESPN and ESPN2. Bummer for me. I won't get to see much again this year unless some live streaming option pops up.

It feels like return to '80s, when F1 was on ESPN & ESPN2 while those networks were on the way up and they realized rabid F1 fans would be willing to pay for cable subscriptions just to get it. Now that they're shrinking again, it's baaaaaack. And it did get me to subscribe the first time around. This time, though, I don't feel like uncutting the cable.

Bummer, is there streaming service available for F1 as there is in MotoGP?

They announced they were working on one in October -- an in-house project like MotoGP's, rather than hooking up with a streaming service like Amazon/Netflix/Hulu. I think they're going to roll it out in some countries for 2018 season, but last I heard, the U.S. wasn't one of them.
A man with no sig

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2018, 02:33:20 PM »
They announced they were working on one in October -- an in-house project like MotoGP's, rather than hooking up with a streaming service like Amazon/Netflix/Hulu. I think they're going to roll it out in some countries for 2018 season, but last I heard, the U.S. wasn't one of them.

I hope it becomes one for your sake and the sake of everyone who has cut the cord. 

I did a quick google to see what I could find on Disney's coverage of F1 this season and couldn't find info regarding the broadcast team, practice and qualifying coverage, pre-race show, etc...

I did read that F1 will be moving Euro races back an hour to make it easier for North American audiences to view races live.  I'm up at 5:30 most mornings and don't have an issue with the current start times.  But, I get that not everyone is an early bird. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2018, 02:12:14 PM »
Well, if they get around to a VideoPass type app for us, I'll probably buy it. I really like the way that works. I'm a little leery of how much blood they'll want for it because, you know, F1.

When I was a kid, and we got only one GP a year on Wide World of Sports, I followed F1 by pouring over magazines. I'd wait for my copy of Sports Car Graphic each month, or ride my bike to the newsstand, run through the summaries of races that were happened weeks ago, and recreate them in my mind while reading. They were probably more exciting races that way. They weren't always close in those days.

This past year, without cable and without even the Mexican broadcast I used to pick up, I was pretty much back to that. You can read about the races immediately now instead waiting a month or two, but it was pretty much reading about racing and catching highlights on YouTube. And it was a retro kind of fun. And I'm gearing up for another season of that. Or maybe I'll just decide that two wheel racing is enough.
A man with no sig

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2018, 07:28:10 PM »
Some good news on the TV front. 

ESPN, ABC to use Sky's Formula 1 coverage

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-broadcast-television-espn-abc-sky-1004720/

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »
As much as I'll miss Hobbs and Matchett -- and I will -- this should be a major upgrade. Bigger, better team and it's on site.
A man with no sig

Offline Acadian Rider

• Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2018, 04:19:32 PM »

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-broadcast-television-espn-abc-sky-1004720/

You will love the coverage. I assume that by saying "Sky's comprehensive F1 service " that they'll give you the pre race shows as well as the post race shows. Those guys are right on the ground and they give give you a lot more than what someone somewhere in a studio can give you. 

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
Happy news for me!    :D

The streaming service IS going to be offered in the U.S. this year. It's not clear when it will come out, and it will first be for computers on the web, but mobile apps will be released as they're ready. They're talking $8-$12 per month. The service sounds pretty awesome.

The premium service, called F1 TV PRO, will include ad-free live coverage of every session, access to all 20 on-board cameras, press conferences, support races and other exclusive footage.

Check out the Autosport article I just quoted for a demo video.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134568/f1-launches-new-streaming-service

A man with no sig

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2018, 09:09:46 AM »

Did you get to see the Sky Sports coverage of the first race?

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #158 on: April 05, 2018, 11:07:22 AM »

Did you get to see the Sky Sports coverage of the first race?

Yes, and I hope ESPN does a better job with the high quality broadcast from Sky on the next race.

This article sums up my thoughts fairly well...

https://jalopnik.com/espns-f1-season-opener-broadcast-was-a-catastrophe-1824057087

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #159 on: April 05, 2018, 12:10:25 PM »
I saw that jalopnik article when they published it and just had to shake my head (didn't see the broadcast). ESPN was pretty bad about missing the action the last time they had F1. I remember in the late '80s early '90s, our cable system carried the races on both ESPN and the CBC, which aired the BBC telecast. We never watched ESPN.

Anyway, back to today, I'm still waiting for the on-demand service to roll out. Maybe the season will be so boring by the time they do, I won't be interested anymore. Today's factoid:  number of overtakes after lap 1 in Bahrain:  5.    Number of overtakes in the IndyCar St. Petersburg opener, on a street course where passing is difficult:  366.

[EDIT:  In the above paragraph, I meant Australia, of course. Bahrain hasn't happened yet.]

Big week for F1. Liberty presents its plans on Friday. F1 wonks are already calling it "Bloody Friday." Be ready for much tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:18:28 PM by squeezer »
A man with no sig

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #160 on: April 05, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »
I’m sorry to see that ESPN messed up the coverage of the first race.

Up here we got all the pre and post race shows from Sky Sports. They changed the format a little bit this year but it is basically the same. 

Regarding the commercials during the race, nobody likes them but up here when there is one we get a split screen and as a result we don’t miss anything except the audio. 

Regarding the HAAS team, I thought that Sky Sports had ample coverage. They interviewed Guenther Steiner (Team Principal) before the race and cross thread fiasco asking him what he thought about the HAAS critics in the paddock. It appears that some are critical of the HAAS team because of all the Ferrari bits they are getting on top of the Ferrari power plant. During the race they showed the cross thread fiasco several time in slow motion trying to figure what happened and I believe it was Rob Taylor they interviewed about it after the race. My memory is not always 100% these days. They also interviewed the drivers after the race.

I hope that ESPN can get their act together starting this weekend. It would be nice to see more Americans embrace F1.

There are problems with the F1 brand but for me it is better than watching bumper cars go around in circles in the same direction. I know Liberty will try to make F1 more competitive going forward and it would be nice for the fans if they succeeded. However, the big budget teams are going to push back against any changes that bring more competition to them.

Anyhoo, looking forward to this weekend’s race. 

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #161 on: April 05, 2018, 06:25:09 PM »
I'm with you guys, I look forward to seeing how things unfold (coverage wise, season, and new rules from the 'merican owners).

Bring on Bah-rain

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2018, 09:03:17 PM »
Ok, kudos where they're due:  ESPN says it's been listening to fans and they're going to show the rest of the races commercial free.

I'm still not getting cable, but I was glad to see that.
A man with no sig

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2018, 06:35:23 AM »
Ok, kudos where they're due:  ESPN says it's been listening to fans and they're going to show the rest of the races commercial free.

I'm still not getting cable, but I was glad to see that.

I am still in shock by this and equally happy.  I'll get an entire season of coverage with no commercials.  Amazing. 

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2018, 09:04:02 AM »
How much of the Sky Sports coverage did you get last weekend? 

Did you get the Ross Brawn interview with Martin Brundle regarding the future of F1?  We got the highlights of it here on the televised coverage. The full 20 minute interview can be seen here

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11319212/sky-sports-exclusive-ross-brawn-extended-interview-on-f1s-future

As expected, Toto Wolf already came out against a budget cap saying it is too low too quickly. 

.....and oh, BTW, are we seeing a new rising star in Pierre Gasly? 

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2018, 01:17:44 PM »

.....and oh, BTW, are we seeing a new rising star in Pierre Gasly?

Could be. That was a phenomenal drive.

And along those lines, I'm getting some perverse pleasure out of watching Honda beat McLaren. 
A man with no sig

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2018, 07:56:31 AM »
I'm getting some perverse pleasure out of watching Honda beat McLaren.

Me too :lol: but I expect the McLaren car to improve over the next few races.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2018, 01:29:25 AM »
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/05/formula-1-finally-launches-its-livestream-and-it-was-a-total-mess/

Formula 1 finally launched its livestream—and it was a total mess
Plenty of buffering problems for the stream's debut event.
Jonathan M. Gitlin - 5/11/2018, 11:45 AM

EDIT: Not F1 but racing nonetheless

24 hours of Nurburgring streaming on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiH0e8U_h7E

Related:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ADACZurich24hRennen
https://jalopnik.com/the-nurburgring-24-hours-is-too-incredible-to-miss-so-h-1825941714
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:37:13 AM by Jim »
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »
Not surprised the first livestream was a mess.

For those wondering how the online deal works in the U.S.:

There are two levels and we get both here:  F1 TV Access and F1 TV Pro. This year, the first one goes for about $25 per year and the latter for about $90.

Neither will give you the race broadcast live or even same day. Both will show full replays two days after the event. And there's an archive of old races.

F1 TV Access will give you the live stuff they've already been offering through their app -- live timing, track position map, etc.

F1 TV Pro adds live streaming of on-board cameras and unedited team radios.

I flipped the $25 at them to see how it goes.
A man with no sig

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2018, 05:26:15 AM »
The grid girls story made the National News on CBC last night. I was really surprised to see that. Last time anything F1 made the National news in Canada was when Stroll signed with Williams last year. 

Here in Canada we get to see all the F1 races on TSN. They get the Sky Sport feed that gives us a lot of coverage on race weekends.

On qualifying day we get a 1hr show / preview prior to the start of the Quali, the Quali and then another show post quali with many interviews etc...

On race day we get two pre-race shows, one is 30 minutes and another one is 1hr. After the race there are at least 1 hr of post race interviews, comments etc...   Sky Sports get to interview all the major players including team principles and drivers. For example we get to see Toto Wolf and Christian Horner interviewed every race weekend. Those two are very accommodating and they even speak to Horner during the races sometimes. Others such as Maurizio Arrivabene needs to get his arm twisted before he says anything.   

The bottom line for F1 fans in Canada is that we get a lot of coverage.

We also get the NASCAR stuff but I don't pay any attention to it.

I'll be at Lake Louise this Sunday morning and will be looking for TSN's coverage.  I hope it's including on the TV package at the hotel.  I'll need to be up pretty early to catch it on Mountain Time, yes?

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2018, 02:20:29 PM »
The grid girls story made the National News on CBC last night. I was really surprised to see that. Last time anything F1 made the National news in Canada was when Stroll signed with Williams last year. 

Here in Canada we get to see all the F1 races on TSN. They get the Sky Sport feed that gives us a lot of coverage on race weekends.

On qualifying day we get a 1hr show / preview prior to the start of the Quali, the Quali and then another show post quali with many interviews etc...

On race day we get two pre-race shows, one is 30 minutes and another one is 1hr. After the race there are at least 1 hr of post race interviews, comments etc...   Sky Sports get to interview all the major players including team principles and drivers. For example we get to see Toto Wolf and Christian Horner interviewed every race weekend. Those two are very accommodating and they even speak to Horner during the races sometimes. Others such as Maurizio Arrivabene needs to get his arm twisted before he says anything.   

The bottom line for F1 fans in Canada is that we get a lot of coverage.

We also get the NASCAR stuff but I don't pay any attention to it.

I'll be at Lake Louise this Sunday morning and will be looking for TSN's coverage.  I hope it's including on the TV package at the hotel.  I'll need to be up pretty early to catch it on Mountain Time, yes?

No drinking Saturday night for you.   :bigsmile:

Talking about TSN, they had live coverage of FP2 today. I had never noticed that they had that kind of coverage before. Maybe it's because it's the Monaco GP. 

TSN has 5 channels and I get all 5. The race Sunday will be shown on TSN 4 & 5 according to the schedule shown on line with coverage starting at 7:30AM Eastern Time. The actual race starts at 9:00AM Eastern Time.  Hopefully your hotel will have the channels. 

https://www.tsn.ca/live/schedule

BTW, I'll be camping in Banff and Jasper on June 8 & 9 on my way to Alaska on the bike if everything goes according to plan. Leaving from Moncton on June 1st. 

Enjoy your trip! 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:15:49 PM by Acadian Rider »

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2018, 05:09:34 PM »
threadjack

BTW, I'll be camping in Banff and Jasper on June 8 & 9 on my way to Alaska on the bike if everything goes according to plan. Leaving from Moncton on June 1st.

Moncton - just looked it up - pretty much one can't get further east in Canada (yea, ya can - but still - it's way east).

That's a haul !!!  Cool  Enjoy the experience.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2018, 06:31:34 AM »
threadjack

Moncton - just looked it up - pretty much one can't get further east in Canada (yea, ya can - but still - it's way east).

That's a haul !!!  Cool  Enjoy the experience.

Being retired and having a good wife helps.   

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2018, 08:00:33 AM »
I missed the talk about Verstappen and Ricardo.  Why didn't either of them get a grid penalty for the collision?

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2018, 09:22:43 AM »
I missed the talk about Verstappen and Ricardo.  Why didn't either of them get a grid penalty for the collision?

The FIA stewards interviewed both drivers after the race and determined that both drivers were at fault in minor ways.    They stated that Verstappen moved twice in defense of the position (which is not allowed), but only in a minor way and that Ricciardo made his move to the left too late.   They were issued formal "Reprimands".   Grid penalties would follow if they get three Reprimands in 2018.   

I am not a Verstappen fan so I am admittedly biased, but Ricciardo was clearly faster for quite a few laps.   Somebody on the team should have seen this coming and told Max to calm down and not crash his teammate (the way he has crashed so many others).   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36YFQTFzZwU

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2018, 04:59:08 PM »
I am not a Verstappen fan so I am admittedly biased, but Ricciardo was clearly faster for quite a few laps.   Somebody on the team should have seen this coming and told Max to calm down and not crash his teammate (the way he has crashed so many others).   

I'm with you on this one. Not a fan of MV. He came in F1 full of piss and vinegar and successfully pissed off a lot of drivers with his zigzags when leading in braking zones. This year his misfortunes are his own making but he will probably settle down and learn with time.   

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2018, 11:57:06 AM »
Right on cue MV messed up again because he wasn't patient enough. Monaco will bite you if you don't build up slowly. Now he starts last tomorrow and his teammate starts on pole. 

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2018, 05:50:23 AM »
Damn dvr stopped about a second before ricardo finished his last qualifying lap.

I think MV is a good driver he just needs someone to punch him in the head when he is stupid. (I am guessing he would be hit alot)

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2018, 08:20:57 AM »
It sounds like MV has been read the riot act. Here's his quote from yesterday after the race: 

“I know what I have to do and what not,” said Verstappen. “I cannot permit myself to go all in and see what the outcome is. That’s just the situation I am in at the moment.

“I just didn’t want to go too risky [on Sunday] and have a crash because I cannot be in that position now.

In the meantime, his ever popular teammate Daniel Ric has won Monaco and his new contract price has gone up.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2018, 10:52:27 AM »
Poor Vandoorne. Looks like he's done. McLaren's announced that Lando Norris will get the seat alongside Sainz next year.

A man with no sig

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2018, 02:08:03 PM »
McLaren let Checko go too soon.  He deserved the ride.  I hope Vandoorne lands well at another team.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2018, 04:09:50 PM »
McLaren let Checko go too soon.  He deserved the ride.  I hope Vandoorne lands well at another team.

I wanted to see Perez go there too. Keeping that Force India seat now seems like the best option unless Grosjean doesn't make it to 2019.
A man with no sig

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2018, 04:19:50 PM »

I wanted to see Perez go there too. Keeping that Force India seat now seems like the best option unless Grosjean doesn't make it to 2019.
Force India was taken over by a group of investors which includes Lance Stroll's billionaire father. Expect Lance to move from Williams to Force India...
Ride safe!

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #183 on: September 04, 2018, 11:44:46 AM »

Force India was taken over by a group of investors which includes Lance Stroll's billionaire father. Expect Lance to move from Williams to Force India...

Yeah, I know. Lance will be there for sure, which means either Perez or Ocon hit the road. The rumors say Perez has the inside track, but Mercedes may offer a deal on the engines to keep Ocon.
A man with no sig

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »
In case you didn't see the news, it's official:

Leclerc will drive for Ferrari next year alongside Vettel. Not a huge surprise, though the rumors for the last few weeks were that Kimi was staying.

More surprising:  Raikkonen has signed a two year deal with Sauber, returning to the team that brought him in to F1. When his contract is up in 2020, he'll be 41.

It's starting to look like Mercedes and Haas will be the only teams without a driver change -- and Haas is still up in the air. And it looks more and more like Ocon will be the loser in the game of musical chairs. Maybe Mercedes will swing a deal to land him in at Williams.
A man with no sig

Offline Acadian Rider

« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
I never thought that the red team would sign Leclerc for next year. They don't usually sign drivers with so little F1 experience. The pressure on him to perform will be extreme especially from the Tifosi. He will be under the microscope. 

I'm sad to see Kimi leave the red team. I was hoping that he would get another year before making room for Leclerc. However, I am happy that I will still get to Kimi race next year albeit with a lower level team.

Regarding Ocon, he is too good to be left out. I hope he finds a seat for next year. 

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2020, 08:12:23 PM »
First F1 driver has tested positive for covid. Sergio Perez will have to sit out Silverstone this weekend.
A man with no sig

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »
I hate to see Checo out, that guy needs a seat next year and should not have to step aside for Seb. 

At least the Hulk is back this weekend filling in for Checo. 

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2020, 05:12:03 PM »
^^^^
Well, crap. Nothing to argue about.   :lol:

A man with no sig