Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2002 M750 Ducati Monster engine.  (Read 5928 times)

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
  • Burdened with glorious purpose.
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: The one I'm borrowing
2002 M750 Ducati Monster engine.
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:25:43 PM »
FI model. Will not include throttle bodies or clutch slave cylinder. ~21,000 miles. Was running fine before parted out.

I can assist in local-enough meetup for exchange... call it 200 miles from Northern Delaware.

$500 obo. If you need it shipped, I can get to a Forward Air terminal easily enough; I'll need time to find a pallet and/or build a crate.

Nice upgrade for a 620...? Dunno.

As seen in these pics: http://imgur.com/a/bqAEz#0

Video:
Ducati Monster, cold start

Come on folks... offers.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline CosmicCowboy

Re: 2002 M750 Ducati Monster engine.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
Now I know what happened to the Ducati.   :lol:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:50:42 PM by CosmicCowboy »

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 10:39:52 AM »
Oh, this was never a secret.  ;D

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 02:53:50 PM »

I'm accepting offers. Moving in 2 months and I want this gone. Or... maybe I'll just use it to power an air compressor or some crazy device to take over the world which, since it's Ducati, I can do in real style. Maybe I can change Earth into Krypton or something. You can save the world by buying this engine. SAVE THE WORLD! BE A HERO! You know you want to...

Offline Transpomgr

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 07:24:46 PM »
Would this engine fit the strom?

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »
Hmmm...we just got 18" of snow and I was thinking my snowblower could use an upgrade. Can it be jetted for -32 degrees?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:34:17 AM »

If you want this put into a strom, I've got tools and welding skills. I'll totally make it work. The electronics are completely up to you. :-)

Hmmm...we just got 18" of snow and I was thinking my snowblower could use an upgrade. Can it be jetted for -32 degrees?

If you want this put into a plow/snow-blower/riding-mower/etc, I've got tools and welding skills. I'll totally make it work. The electronics are completely up to you. :-)

:bigok:

Offline Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 09:36:07 AM »
I have a leafblower that I can't get to start...
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
I have a leafblower that I can't get to start...

Blame ethanol.

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 10:18:49 AM »

If you want this put into a strom, I've got tools and welding skills. I'll totally make it work. The electronics are completely up to you. :-)

I believe Transpomgr meant to ask:  "Will YOUR Ducati engine fit in YOUR Strom?"

:popcorn:

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 10:53:31 AM »

I believe Transpomgr meant to ask:  "Will YOUR Ducati engine fit in YOUR Strom?"

Oh. the answer to that is "it's a Ducati."

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 11:01:11 AM »

Oh. the answer to that is "it's a Ducati."

So you don't want a Suzuki with "character" and "soul"? It's what everyone has been asking for, and you would have the only one!
Where am I?

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 11:04:07 AM »
It already can't get to its destinations. Why would I want to exacerbate that with style and panache? :-)

Offline marc11

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
I'd REALLY like to know the rest of the story behind this bike.  I remember it being sold and purchased and I remember issues with water entering the fuel tank, but then history seems to draw a blank for me....
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 01:25:46 PM »
I'd REALLY like to know the rest of the story behind this bike.  I remember it being sold and purchased and I remember issues with water entering the fuel tank, but then history seems to draw a blank for me....

Bought it from an STNer selling it for a friend.

Plan was to go pick it up about 8 hours down Rt. 81 from my house. Set out to get it in my Subaru Outback. Got halfway there and the engine in the Outback went tits up. I did NOT heed the omen. Called the seller and asked him to come North and meet us with the Ducati. Called my brother to bring his truck so he could drag my trailer back with the Ducati on it. Left my car in a Walmart parking lot. Seller came up, I rode the Ducati around the walmart parking lot (20 degree weather, no gear) to make sure it ran. It ran. Not well, but it ran. It had been sitting for some number of months, I chalked it up to the extreme cold and shitty gas. Went home. Went down the following weekend with my brother's truck and a two dolly and brought my broken Outback home. Blown engine - at first I thought it was just head gaskets, but after teardown, found metal in a cylinder and pieces of the head not there.

Meanwhile, Liz rode the Ducati around a few weeks and said it was running well. I rode it a few times and it felt... spotty.. on the throttle. Then one day we were out for a ride and the bike stopped. Stopped hard. Just so hard.

Tore it apart... drained about a gallon of water from the tank, replaced the fuel filter, replaced Ducati's so-called gasket around the cap (what a horrible design) which did little more then cut down the amount of sunlight getting past the cap. Cleaned the fuel lines, pulled and cleaned the throttle bodies as best I could. Put it all back together. Ran better... in that it ran.

Ran like a raped ape, right up to about 5000 RPM, then it fell flat on its face. It also ran like shit in 5th gear under normal cruising load. Lots of surging and flat spotting. After some addiitonal fuel system clean out and some trial and error, I determined that the non-stock mufflers were probably way more open than the thing was fueled for. I stuffed a rag in one of the cans, dropping output to about 50% (it was a 2 into 1 into 2 system) and whammo... thing ran like a dream right up to red line. Made a block off plate for one of the mufflers and rode it that way to the Spring meet in WV where it performed flawlessly. Liz and I chased SWRiverstone for 300 miles around WV and it truly did run great.

Got home. A few weeks later the thing decided to start up when it felt like it. When it started, it ran fine... but would occasionally just stop. Like, turn the key kind of stop. Except that all the lights and stuff were still on. This got worse and worse until eventually it would ONLY start after a full unhook-reboot cycle. Had it checked, finally, with zero codes thrown from the computer, no problems found other than - the shop agreed - it would only start on a reboot. the computer was suspect.

Liz's brother was in the middle of buying negotiations for it when this came up. Found that we couldn't easily just replace the computer, nor could I reset it as I didn't have the red key. THen the lights stopped working. Then the fuel injection stopped working. By this time it also needed a chain and sprockets. Oh, and the gas tank got more water in it because we got stuck on a day ride in the rain.

I tore it apart, parted it out. I still have the frame (clean title), engine, forks, front wheel.

I grew to hate everything about this bike.

It's SOOOOOO Italian.

Offline marc11

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 01:28:18 PM »
Ah that is right, I remember the car issue and of course I remember the water issue.  Didn't recall the computer nor red key problems.  Now the picture is complete for me...carry on.... 8)
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »
Uncle Chris, now can you tell us the story about the FZ1 and the V-Strom?

*seriously, I feel like you only told about half the story...
Where am I?

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 01:44:07 PM »
Oh dear God.... ok, settle down kids...

heheheheh

Ok, so Liz bought a 2003 FZ1 from my buddy Wayne. Sweet example of a Gen-1 Fizzy; had Penske and Traxxion treatments and OMFG, did that bike handle like a dream. Liz gelled with that bike like I never could with mine (I had a 2005 for a little while), and I struggled to keep up with her. That chick can ride.

Anyway, we rode out to Indy for GP (she treated me on the trip as she has considerably more disposable income than I do and because she's f'ing awesome  :inlove: ), and on the way home, we were taking the long way East, heading South into WV for a couple days of our favorite twisties. We were on Rt. 20, about 15 miles South of Buckhanon, heading South, and entered a decreasing radius right hander. Remember how I said I struggled to keep up with Liz? One thing I can do better than her - and since I ride like a sissy, probably better than 90% of the people on the road - is brake through a turn. I got my 'Strom under control and *BARELY* kept it on my side of the double yellow and avoiding the car coming into the turn from the other direction. Liz, not so much. She went over the DY, leaned in a bit more and either levered up or slid on the damp painted line (it was about 9am and it was still a bit dewey everywhere in the hills). She low sided into a guardrail and fortunately, the car I missed saw her in time to stop. I watched all this happen in my rear-view mirror. I got turned around and came back to find her standing on the side of the road, pissed at her self, and the Fizzy in about 900 pieces all over Rt. 20... Mechanically, the bike seemed OK enough to do some adjustments and ride it home, however it was puking coolant everywhere.

Turns out it wasn't ok enough... forks were bent, swing arm was crimped, tank was pretty well smashed in, all the electronics in the fairing were crushed and some wiring had damage, the front wheel was bent, and a few other things. Insurance totaled it, and she bought her current bike, a 2004 Honda 919.

... one of the bikes that was on her very, very short list before making a deal with Wayne.

As for the 'Strom... after all the hoopla with needing to sell it, then the community thing, I was getting ready to do some maintenance on it as I'd basically just been letting it sit a few weeks prior... and found chunky metal bits in the oil. Apparently 125k miles was enough for that engine. (sigh)

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 05:47:45 PM »
Use the community thing to get back on two wheels - that's the purpose, to keep you on a bike! No cheap italians tho... unless made by APrilia.

- Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline Transpomgr

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »
That's what I'm getting at! I sure someone here has the skills to fab up some mounts to get the duc engine in the strom? I mean, they are the same shape, right?

I'm sorry. I kid because you and I have the same "luck". One day I'll tell the story of the f650 (they started the name with an f for model designation purposes, but it earned the Fucking650 name) and the bullet proof, 20k miles sprint that came after it, only to give me 2000 miles of aggravation. I could ride it about 100 miles without taking a wrench to it while it quickly ate itself.

Things turn around. They get better.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 08:39:08 PM »
Use the community thing to get back on two wheels - that's the purpose, to keep you on a bike! No cheap italians tho... unless made by APrilia.

- Dan

The community thing kept me out of additional hot water with the IRS and the lawyers.

End of year bonus and lots of saving and luck will get me back on two wheels.

I'm just happy to be breathing easier.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »

Talk Liz in to parting with that Hornet. I'm sure we could come to an agreement. :bigok:

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 10:58:01 AM »

Talk Liz in to parting with that Hornet. I'm sure we could come to an agreement. :bigok:

She talked about selling it and giving me the money to get over a hump or two. I absolutely forbade it. That woman has already given - and given up - quite enough in support of me. I won't allow any more. That's HER bike and it's going to remain that way.

Having said that... I do ride it as often as possible; it's quite nice.  :bigok:

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 04:20:01 PM »
GEEKERS NELLY!!!!  All the bad luck!  geez!  Hope something works out for you and the Duc engine.  :thumbsup:
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 01:16:05 PM »
Good luck Chris - good things come.

- Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.