Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So I got me a garage  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Moto Morphin Power Ranger

• Ottenere una moto vera
  • Motorcycles: 2009 Moto-Guzzi Griso 8V, 1978 Yamaha XS1100
So I got me a garage
« on: July 09, 2014, 11:18:44 AM »
I bought a house :naughty: have been in the house for a month now and the last box is finally empty and thrown in the recycling container. :gdog: Now I can turn my attention and limited budget to MY garage. :wings: I know to watch craigslist for benches and and stuff but was wondering if the collective years of knowledge and experience  :gerg: here can tell me of other avenues to check out.

I came from a town-home, so other than a normal tool set and a assortment of others tools I have collected over the years. All I have is a old busted ass desk an Ikea base that we are not going to use and a book case that is as weak as water.

I did get a chance to add a quick personal touch.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The humiliation I suffered that day will not go unpunished. My pain is the bubbling cauldron of molten steel that will forge the saber of your demise. I shall not be denied my vengeance Haa Ha Ha HaaHa Ha Ha Ha

Offline coucours grad

• Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300 (faSTeST Red) 1992 Kawasaki Concours (RIP)
Re: So I got me a garage
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »
Every garage needs a refrigerator...Used and should become highly stickered.

It should be full of whatever you like.

Motorcycle jack....Comes in handy with the riding lawnmower and go karts....

Air conditioning.....Must have.

Stereo music. Upgrade the living room and use the leftovers out there!

Shelf space....Cant get enough.

Break the woman of parking cars in your work space. Unless its a 1969 Chevelle its good in the driveway.

IMHO YMMV
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

• Ottenere una moto vera
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
Thanks I am putting those on the list. The Queen will never put her car in my shop, It's a detached building in the back of the property.

The humiliation I suffered that day will not go unpunished. My pain is the bubbling cauldron of molten steel that will forge the saber of your demise. I shall not be denied my vengeance Haa Ha Ha HaaHa Ha Ha Ha

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »
Can we make this the post pics of your garage thread?
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:52:39 AM »
First thing.......what's the electric service and what needs will you have for heating/cooling to make it functional year-round?

Once you know how much electric you have, you can figure out what power tools you can support.  Then you'll know whether the electric needs upgrading or not before you start putting stuff in there.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »
Tunes- scored one of these an sale for under a hunnert.

http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

It cranks. I have a tablet mounted to the wall for tunes/diagrams/manuals and stuff.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline vfrrider

• Whoopee's the name, safety's the game.
  • Motorcycles: 1993 Honda VFR750F
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »
Not just any shelf space, but good steel racks from HD or Lowes. And may I suggest a wardrobe or other closed system for riding gear and helmets, etc.

You'll thank me.

Larry
VFRrider

Offline coucours grad

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
Not just any shelf space, but good steel racks from HD or Lowes. And may I suggest a wardrobe or other closed system for riding gear and helmets, etc.

You'll thank me.

Larry
VFRrider

VERY good suggestion here......Going home tonight to see if theres anything in the house that suites the need and upgradable....

• Ottenere una moto vera
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »
Electric should be good. the previous owner was a wood worker and had thousands of dollars of equipment. It's set up like a proper shop. the walls are insulated and have drywall. the ceiling needs to be done. he had a wood stove in the shop, you can see the chimney above my bike in the picture.

I scored 2 electric heaters that LOOK like this:

it does have 3 windows and I think he had a window AC unit in.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »
First of all. CONGRATULATIONS! I remember the first time I had a garage to work in. Pure heaven.

All very good suggestions so far. I would suggest a roll around tool cart. It beats getting up and going to get tools or parts every 5 minutes.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Ottenere una moto vera
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »
Thanks Kneescrubber! yah I am very happy with what we got. I never thought of a rolling cart but now you say it, it seems like a no-brainer.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »
Forget the jack; get a motorcycle lift. You'll thank me later.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline coucours grad

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »
Forget the jack; get a motorcycle lift. You'll thank me later.

Get both.....they have there own separate uses and you have the space!

• Ottenere una moto vera
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 02:26:21 PM »
I think i have a motorcycle jack in one of the sheds at work..looks like i am going hunting.

So what about retailers for getting this stuff? I will keep an on the old CL, but was wondering if you guys knew of any sites I should bookmark now?

Offline coucours grad

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 02:58:29 PM »
yard sales.....

(Most of my "good stuff" almost given too me by someone who never used it.....)

Friends dont let friends throw away good schtuff!

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Congrats.

Be sure to insulate the ceiling first before attempting to heat the place.  Otherwise you could just heat it by burning dollar bills.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 02:59:39 PM »
I got my tool cart from Harbor Freight years ago for something like $40.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »
But yes, garage/yard sales are good for finding rare gems.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 12:21:37 PM »
If you are out looking at garage sales, keep an eye out for an air compressor, good for airing up tires, blowing the dust around and lastly for air tools.
Preferably a belt driven compressor, yes it may be a bit larger in size (floor space) but consider how loud the direct driven compressors are in comparison.

next consider the lighting of the space, you will want lots of light. If going the florescent tube lights spend an extra $ and buy the clear protective tubes to cover them, lots easier to put the cover over them than clean up the mess after they get hit by something.

Got an old carpet you don't mind getting dirty?? Put it down on the floor, it will save you from wondering where that dam nut/washer/ what have you bounced to. Also does take a bit of the fatigue out of standing/kneeling on cold cement
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline coucours grad

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 01:42:40 PM »
A good rule I have is that anythig in the house that gets upgraded goes in the garage.... Ceiling fans, fridge's....Oven/stove (comes in handy drying out electrical motors and such)...Carpet from several friends houses that got replaced....

Spend money on shelving though or the lumber to build the good stuff. It'll keep things off the floor and workbench.

Mine has stairs to a walk in attic....We were able to empty all the closets in the house into it.

I also built a separate bench for motor/bike work and my reloading gear. I bought 2x12's 4x4's and 5/4's flooring to build them out of. It keeps them from getting beat up and needing repairs. If you think an 8 foot bench is big enough build a 12 footer. You cant have enough shelves or benches and all of the benches I built have shelving below and old kitchen cabinets above(talked the wife into a kitchen remodel 10 years ago and have been reaping the benefits since.)

So, if ya have an old fridge in the kitchen tell the SO "we need a new fridge."  Instant shop fridge.  "We need to get rid of this old looking ugly Kitchen!"   Instant shop cabinets...... "Honey, dont you think we need a new AC unit?....Instant shop heating and air! "baby, I bought you a new dresser for your Birthday!"  Instant Tool cabinet or small parts storage!!!!

And both of you will be happy about these new items in the garage.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 06:46:24 PM »
Congrats!

Urinal.  You need a urinal.  No water?  No problem. 

Behind the shop dig a hole deep enough for two 5 gallon buckets, and slightly larger (a couple inches or so).  When you are done with connections bury them 8 inches under the ground- drill holes in them and surround them with rocks.  This is your mini septic tank.  I attached a 1 1/2 inch piece of PVC pipe through the bucket cover.  You don't need to attach the buckets if you have them near each other with holes drilled in both of them with gravel between- the water flows from one to the other.

Through the wall bend/cut/fit a piece of 1" PVC- this is your plumbing.  Slide it in the 1 1/2" pvc that runs into the buckets.  This is your vent and inlet.  Put a trap in it (the bend) so the smell doesn't come back through.  Make sure the end inside is a little below urinal height.  Attach a 1"-1 1/2" adapter to the end of the PVC.  To this you will affix an empty 1 gallon plastic container- like a windshield washer fluid container.  You will cut the bottom out of it- that is your urinal. 

Pick up a cheap windshield washer pump.  Drop one line into a 5 gallon bucket of water, and attach a wire alongside the pipe to the outlet end.  Bend the wire/hose so it comes over the top of the plastic container and hits it at an angle so it sprays around the jug without spraying out on to you.  Wire a switch for the pump where the handle would be.

So, you step up, use the urinal, flip the switch and allow the water to flush, then flip the switch to off.  Two 5 gallon buckets is plenty big for a septic for such a small amount of water production, and should allow easy dissipation, unless your soil has a high water table or is solid clay.

I had this rig in my old garage before I put a real urinal and sink in my current one.  It works sweet and doesn't smell at all, unless the trap evaporates out.  A windshield washer pump doesn't use much energy at all- rig it to a 110-12v adapter, or run it off a car battery.  I just had a marine battery I used, but that was because I have a fishing boat.

If you don't have a urinal and resort to pissing outside it will start to reek, and it's a PIA to run to the house when you are in the middle of something, like say a good beer.  Mine worked for probably 10 years until we moved.

Just don't have it inspected.   :bigok:

A link to a drawing:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1wY7hLpRkStWJNZ8V2-EPVl9m4SwEC5pNxwR29uD1p8U/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:07:53 PM by CLAY »
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

• Ottenere una moto vera
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 06:18:52 AM »
Wow, I never thought of that.  :thumbsup: thanks Clay

coucours grad We will be getting a new fridge and replacing the electric stove with gas in the next 1.5 years. I plan to take the fridge for myself. I have seen some DIY powder coating ovens that makes use of oven parts. We will see. As far as cabinets I will have to wait a while. One on the reasons we bought this house is because the place is mostly done.

I have seen 100s of different floor stuff but wonder if it's worth it. I don't have a problem laying on the concrete, I been laying in the mud for 30 years. I know it can help your feet not be bone cold in the winter, and I bet rubber flooring would help with the sound. or I could use all the hardwood scraps that I have seen on CL.

I am not looking to finish this in the next week. it's going to be a long project. thanks again for all the info  :smiley_thumb:

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »
Something I was amazed about when I put one up in The Shop[1] was the SafeRack[2]. Built hell-for-stout and frees up a lot of floor space. Organize your misc stuff into tubs and then put the tubs up in SafeRacks. Instantly get back a ton of usable space in your garage. I wanted their system that fits above the garage door but don't have the clearance. Instead, I'll be putting up a few of the others in garage.

Then get yourself a Handy B.O.B. lift![3]

[1]

(Full details with more photos here: http://www.fjr-tips.org/misc/pics/shop/shop.html )

[2] http://www.saferacks.com/

[3] http://www.handyindustries.com/products/bob-1500-air-lift

• Ottenere una moto vera
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
WOW that's nice

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »
Will the handle bars fit?
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
A good rule I have is that anythig in the house that gets upgraded goes in the garage....
So, if ya have an old fridge in the kitchen tell the SO "Honey, I love you and want you to be happy, so I'm buying you a new fridge."  Instant shop fridge. 
And both of you will be happy about these new items in the garage.
ftfy
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen