Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMA Challenges CDC Helmet Task Force  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Moto Morphin Power Ranger

• Ottenere una moto vera
  • Motorcycles: 2009 Moto-Guzzi Griso 8V, 1978 Yamaha XS1100
AMA Challenges CDC Helmet Task Force
« on: July 09, 2014, 06:29:07 AM »
A new recommendation for universal motorcycle helmet laws by a task force of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is based on faulty reasoning, the American Motorcyclist Association reports.

The Community Preventive Services Task Force asserts that universal motorcycle helmet laws will reduce the rate of motorcyclists killed in traffic crashes. The recommendation is based on studies of U.S. states and foreign countries that require all riders to wear helmets, those that require only minors to wear helmets and those that have no helmet requirement.

"Researchers examined evidence from the United States and other high-income countries [made available through the United Nations' World Health Organization] and found that implementation of universal laws in place of partial helmet laws or no law led to substantial increases in helmet use and decreases in motorcycle-related deaths and injuries," according to the task force's statement. "When universal helmet laws were repealed and replaced with partial laws or no law, the opposite effects were seen; helmet use decreased substantially and motorcycle-related deaths and injuries increased."

To adequately assess the role of helmet laws in preventing serious injury or death in crashes, the CDC task force members would first have had to identify the fatal injury in each crash, then determine whether use of a helmet would have prevented that injury or reduced its effect, thereby saving the life of the motorcyclist.

However, the CDC task force cites no such detailed analysis and offers no evidence that the use of a helmet would have lessened or eliminated the fatal injuries in a significant number of crashes. Instead, task force members merely looked at the numbers and drew their conclusion.

"Correlation does not imply causation," said Wayne Allard, AMA's vice president for government relations. "Instead of trying to draw conclusions from this type of observation, the CDC task force could have better spent its time and resources searching for cures for infectious diseases."

The AMA has long advocated the voluntary use of helmets, but opposes mandates because helmets do nothing to reduce the likelihood of a crash.

"Rider education and motorist awareness/distracted-driver programs -- which are threatened when scarce funds are siphoned into helmet mandate enforcement -- should be the focus of the safety community," Allard said.

The AMA strongly encourages the use of personal protective equipment, including gloves, sturdy footwear and a properly fitted motorcycle helmet certified by its manufacturer to meet the DOT standard. However, adults should have the right to voluntarily decide when to wear a helmet. The AMA does not oppose laws requiring helmets for minor motorcycle operators and passengers.

"Helmet use alone is insufficient to ensure a motorcyclist's safety," Allard said. "There is a broad range of additional voluntary measures that can be implemented to improve the skill of motorcycle operators, as well as reduce the frequency of situations where other vehicle operators are the cause of crashes that involve motorcycles."

A complete statement of the AMA's position on universal mandatory helmet laws can be found here: www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/PositionStatements/VoluntaryHelmetUse.aspx.

About the American Motorcyclist Association
Founded in 1924, the AMA is a not-for-profit member-based association whose mission is to promote the motorcycle lifestyle and protect the future of motorcycling. As the world's largest motorcycling rights and event sanctioning organization, the AMA advocates for riders' interests at all levels of government and sanctions thousands of competition and recreational events every year. The AMA also provides money-saving discounts on products and services for its members. Through the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in Pickerington, Ohio, the AMA honors the heroes and heritage of motorcycling. For more information, visit www.americanmotorcyclist.com.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The humiliation I suffered that day will not go unpunished. My pain is the bubbling cauldron of molten steel that will forge the saber of your demise. I shall not be denied my vengeance Haa Ha Ha HaaHa Ha Ha Ha

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
Re: AMA Challenges CDC Helmet Task Force
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:59:51 AM »
If only the AMA put as much effort into enforcing the proper application of plasticized crack sealant (tar snakes) as they do fighting against helmet laws. MAYBE riders might actually be helped for a change.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:17:56 AM »
If only the AMA put as much effort into enforcing the proper application of plasticized crack sealant (tar snakes) as they do fighting against helmet laws. MAYBE riders might actually be helped for a change.

There are so many areas in which the AMA could be of assistance . . . . this seems to be hair splitting with an eye to increase their membership among cruiser riders . . . .

Silly position to take -- helmets don't decrease injuries and deaths among riders in accidents. Sheesh.

Note Bene -- Lifetime member of the AMA, and a helmet wearer.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline satxbonneville

• Bailiff, whack his peepee!
  • Motorcycles: '04 Bonneville T100, '03 V-Strom 1000, '06 Ninja 500
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:20:58 AM »
Or into supporting a movement for effective driver training in the US so that facing the abject horror of parallel parking is not the most difficult  aspect of being licensed to operate a motor vehicle. US driver education is a sick joke.

Offline Moto Morphin Power Ranger

• Ottenere una moto vera
  • Motorcycles: 2009 Moto-Guzzi Griso 8V, 1978 Yamaha XS1100
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:29:37 AM »
I am not a member but it seems that the only thing I ever see from the AMA without specifically looking for anything is the helmet battle.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The humiliation I suffered that day will not go unpunished. My pain is the bubbling cauldron of molten steel that will forge the saber of your demise. I shall not be denied my vengeance Haa Ha Ha HaaHa Ha Ha Ha

Offline Jay547

• Motorcycles: Yamaha FJ-09, Honda CRF450L, Honda CR250, Yamaha AT-125, Suzuki DR200
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 09:28:29 AM »
They are active in the ethanol battle too.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 12:37:39 PM »
I am not a member but it seems that the only thing I ever see from the AMA without specifically looking for anything is the helmet battle.

I signed up for notifications of issues they are involved with, so that I can wiegh in (directly, if I wish) with my congress critters . . . .

they ARE involved with a number of things (fuel stuff, access issues, insurance all come to mind immediately),but, yeah, they are frightened, I think, of loosing cruiser riders if they stay mum on helmet laws (which I sthing they should).
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 06:35:52 AM »
The AMA has never been something I would join. When I was racing, it was mandatory, but that was my only time with a membership.
This is just one more reason for my low view of them. Being anti helmet is so against real logic, it is mind boggling.
I have been noticing that here in Colorado, I have seen a growth in Harley helmet users, even though it is not mandatory here. I'm talking about full face. :thumbsup:
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline motociclista

• EOE Cup MotoGP champ, 2013, 2017, co-champion 2018
    • The Ride So Far
  • Motorcycles: Don't mind if I do. I love those things!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »
The AMA is celebrating its 90th anniversary this year.

If it keeps burning through money the way it has the last few years, it should run out and go bankrupt just in time for its 100th.

http://www.theridesofar.com/2014/02/the-decline-of-the-ama/
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 08:12:46 AM »
The AMA is celebrating its 90th anniversary this year.

If it keeps burning through money the way it has the last few years, it should run out and go bankrupt just in time for its 100th.

http://www.theridesofar.com/2014/02/the-decline-of-the-ama/

That would be a shame , , , , ,we need a single, unified voice (simialr in intent and effectiveness to the NRA), I beleive . . . .

Wish I had a single, silver-bullet type suggestion to improve things . . . . .alas . ..