Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Les Paul vs Fender. Discuss  (Read 6561 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Les Paul vs Fender. Discuss
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:48:53 AM »
Maybe it's in my head, but I have found that Fenders seem to have a slightly narrower neck, making playing just a touch harder with my big fat fingers.  I was looking for a Les Paul when I got a screaming price on a Dean Evo.

Thoughts?
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
Re: Les Paul vs Fender. Discuss
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:24:43 AM »
In trying the various brands, I find I prefer the thinner necks anyway. I tested a PRS at the local place and it was like trying to play a baseball bat for a neck. It would get thicker as I got into the higher notes/closer to the body.

The Les Paul I bought is a 1960's Tribute Plus which comes with the thinner neck.

The other reason for the Les Paul right now is there are more frets. So when playing songs that hit fret 22, I can play it vs having to bend it at 21. Next would be a metal type guitar with 24 frets :)

The owner did say that you get a better sound/sustain with a thick neck.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:26:58 AM »
Most good guitars are offered with a variety of neck shapes. Just a matter of finding what you like. For example, I prefer the "60s" shape neck on a Les Paul versus the fatter/thicker "50s" neck.
Scale length makes a difference as does fret height in what feels good to you. Scale length also changes the tone as a humbucker on a Strat doesn't sound the same versus the exact same pickup on a Les Paul.

Just like bikes, buy the guitar that gives you wood :-)

I think I want a "super Strat" (humbucker, single, single) from a boutique/custom shop with really nice wood as my next guitar. I checked out a Suhr Standard at my LMS which are known for having great necks and it didn't do anything special for me. I was kinda hoping to be blown away like I was when I tried (and bought) my first Paul Reed Smith Custom back in 1985. The Suhr was very nice, but didn't push my "spend $3K on a guitar" button. FWIW, you can order the Suhrs with your neck of choice (must be a dozen options).

EDIT: Carl, my Les Paul is also an Epiphone 60s Tribute Plus. It's my main gigging guitar. The tone and sustain was markedly improved when I had the local shop install a Graph Tech Tusq nut.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:46:38 AM »
Yea, I was in the "spend $2,000 mood" when I checked out the PRS but the neck just didn't appeal.

I do have an HSS American Strat and will play it but right now the Les Paul seems to be the one that I keep heading back to. It might be like the Harley vs Hayabusa thing I had back in 2004/2005 where I was swapping riding. Hayabusa one week and Harley the next week. I found myself looking forward to riding the Hayabusa and dreading getting on the Harley. :)

I think I'm happy enough with the "stock" Les Paul for now. I'm in no way experienced enough to decide to make mods and add farkles just yet :D

How about strings? It's time to change the strings on the Les Paul. I've been using the 9-42's (Ernie Ball Slinky or Super Slinky I think) but have been considering changing out for 10's or even 11's (I know, I have to adjust the truss rod).

I've been getting different guitars and pedals to see which ones I like and want to continue to use. Eventually, I guess, I'll weed out the gear I don't use. But for now I'm able to pick and explore :)

Carl

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:12:40 AM »
RE: Strings

I use Ernie Ball "Regular Slinky" (10s) on my G&L Legacy Plus (Strat style).

I use Ernie Ball "Power Slinky" on the Les Paul which are 11s, but the fat strings are lighter than regular 11s. When I had the new nut installed I had him cut the slots to fit the fatter strings. The shorter scale length on the LP means lower string tension, so you can use one gauge heavier strings.

I like the Strat for cleaner and less overdriven stuff. The Les Paul gets the nod for big crunchy power chords and high gain solos. I manage to switch back and forth between the two scale lengths without any major drama. I think an HSS Strat type guitar could cover both bases well enough to become the primary gigging guitar.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »
I'm a Fender guy.  I have American made Strats (3x) and Teles (2x) for my home amusement.  I prefer slightly thicker necks and maple fretboards.  I like a modern neck radius but lacquer finish.

I also own an Epiphone Traditional Pro Les Paul Gold Top but I think I've only played it a couple of times.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:49:35 AM »
Of the guitars I've had:

Ibanez Roadstar II - Hard tail strat clone. Was my first guitar and I enjoyed it, but I don't really miss it.

Epiphone Genesis: Pretty much like a double cutaway Les Paul. Heavy, lots of tone. Sometimes I miss this one. I've thought about buying one of the re-issues.

Epiphone LP-100: bought this to get back in to things after taking a break from guitar. Hated it. Never could get it to stay in tune.

Fender American Standard Stratocaster: I've had this guitar for a few years now and really like it. It's my go to guitar for gigs. Neck profile and scale is spot on to what I like. I blocked off the trem as I never really learned to use one.

Fender Blacktop Telecaster: This is what I pull out when I want something with humbuckers. I really should play it on stage more as it's better than the Strat for pushing the tubes in the amp. Same neck profile and scale as the Strat. Swapped out the crappy stamped saddles for brass. For an inexpensive guitar it's really solid and has a good sound.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »
I prefer slightly thicker necks and maple fretboards.

Almost forgot, I really prefer the look of rosewood fretboards. One of the reasons for the getting the blacktop tele was there are very few teles with humbuckers and rosewood fretboards.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »
Les Paul's are prettier.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »
Lawsuit-era Ibanez knockoffs of Les Pauls. Often better quality than the original.

Currently playing an 82 AR300.  Great guitar.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Support 12-5

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »
Fun fact: Although Slash is known for playing Les Pauls, his guitars were not genuine Gibsons.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 01:45:18 PM »
Fun fact: there's more fakes than originals. Caveat emptor.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
This is the most civilized guitargument I've ever witnessed.

What kind of plectrum oil are you guys using?
 :couch:
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 02:25:58 PM »

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »

I'm trying.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 03:14:20 PM »

Izzat synthetic?
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline fourstring

• Motorcycles: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 03:46:02 PM »

Carvin.

Go!
For all the people that reside there, the center of the universe must be awfully crowded.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 04:53:20 PM »
Carvin.

Me too. Picked up a V3M combo last fall. It took some re-tubing and a new speaker to get what I wanted but now I'm digging it. Also have a Vox Valvetronix modeling amp that does a really good job of clean and overdrive tones, but doesn't have the balls of a real tube amp.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline redbandit14

• Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 08:02:49 AM »
I have a 2010 LP Studio with a 60's neck and MIM Road Worn Strat with a Modern C-shape neck.
That means both are slimmer . Both give me wood and have a hard time deciding what to play quite often LOL
Mostly I'm at home alone so that's not an issue.

As far as it goes I think you have to go and play a bunch until you find one that says TAKE ME HOME!!!

I was looking for a Tele when i got the strat , I was not loving any of the 50 I played at various places and My GF suggested I try the road worn Strat because she loved the look. I said no that's for posers but she pushed some more and I picked it up too humour her. unfortunately I couldn't put it down and had to take it home. The LP and my Simon and Patrick acoustic were  the same , looking at other things really and picked them up for fun. got that shit eating grin on and ....  :bigok:

More sustain from the LP and it roars with some distortion but sweet cleans from the Strat and it is awesome overdriven just a bit.

Not quite ready to Mod yet either but i have a book on guitar setup and modding so I'll be there at some point soon.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 09:38:10 AM »
Carvin.

Me too. Picked up a V3M combo last fall. It took some re-tubing and a new speaker to get what I wanted but now I'm digging it. Also have a Vox Valvetronix modeling amp that does a really good job of clean and overdrive tones, but doesn't have the balls of a real tube amp.

We're on to amps?

Fender Champion 600. Good little amp for bedroom levels. Nigh impossible to get a clean tone out of it, though. JJ in preamp, Tungsol in power.

Fender Pro Jr. Sweet amp. This is my main amp for rehearsals and recording, but can easily be mic'd for a gig. Takes pedals well. Sovtek tubes in preamp, JJs in power.

Sovtek Mig-50H through Carvin V412T. People will tell you mixed things about this amp. Some say it's a Marshal clone, others say Fender Bassman. Either way, it screams. I use very few pedals when playing through this amp; and most often just a mid range boost for solos. Still has it's original Sovtek tubes.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »

Izzat synthetic?

I'll check tonight.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 10:25:25 AM »
Carvin.

We're on to amps?

Fender Champion 600. Good little amp for bedroom levels. Nigh impossible to get a clean tone out of it, though. JJ in preamp, Tungsol in power.

Fender Pro Jr. Sweet amp. This is my main amp for rehearsals and recording, but can easily be mic'd for a gig. Takes pedals well. Sovtek tubes in preamp, JJs in power.

Sovtek Mig-50H through Carvin V412T. People will tell you mixed things about this amp. Some say it's a Marshal clone, others say Fender Bassman. Either way, it screams. I use very few pedals when playing through this amp; and most often just a mid range boost for solos. Still has it's original Sovtek tubes.

Fender? Noooo Marshall
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 10:38:12 AM »
Not been playing guitar long enough to form an opinion on many bits yet. Love my Epiphone LP (love the sustain it carries) and my newly-snagged Martin D-15 (early 2004 build all mahogany).

But from my days on bass, I always preferred the Fender Jazz over the Precision specifically because of the thinner (and tapering) neck of the Jazz. It was a sad day when Fender stopped production of their Jazz. The Precision neck always felt like a 2x4 to me.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »
Not been playing guitar long enough to form an opinion on many bits yet. Love my Epiphone LP (love the sustain it carries) and my newly-snagged Martin D-15 (early 2004 build all mahogany).

But from my days on bass, I always preferred the Fender Jazz over the Precision specifically because of the thinner (and tapering) neck of the Jazz. It was a sad day when Fender stopped production of their Jazz. The Precision neck always felt like a 2x4 to me.

It's actually one of the reasons I got the Ibanez Bass. It has a very thin neck which I like.

If you missed it, you can see the neck in the video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=384H07GT_QY

Carl

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »
I did miss that. One thing I've always been curious about was the Rickenbacker (because of being a tyke while The Beatles were at their apex). Never got my hands on one to play with it.

My preference for neck styles may have been influenced by my first bass. I had a mid-60s Fender Mustang and a wonderful Fender Bassman 100 (silverface) amp.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:50:49 AM by Bounce »

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »
Simple question for you pro's out there. I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get back into guitar. What's the most inexpensive guitar I can buy that won't suck and will have decent playability? What's that going to run me?

And if there's more than one, what are they?

Oh, and used is fine.

thanks,

- Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 11:58:48 AM »
Simple question for you pro's out there. I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get back into guitar. What's the most inexpensive guitar I can buy that won't suck and will have decent playability? What's that going to run me?

That depends. When you get in to the cheaper guitars the build quality seems to vary pretty wildly. Also, I'm going to assume you mean electric; I've never played a cheap acoustic that wasn't garbage. Back to electrics: I know a guy that plays a Greg Bennett AV1. That's about a $100 guitar on the used market, but it sounds great. Some of the used Schecters are also pretty reasonable. I hear good things about SX guitars but have never played one. The Mexican built Fenders are pretty nice, and the Squire Classic Vibe series are nice quality. For the cheaper Epiphones, avoid the LP-100 or the Les Paul Junior. The LP Special seems to be ok. Don't buy a First Act as you will almost certainly regret it.

For a cheap guitar...you really need to plug it in and play it.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 12:00:54 PM »
Fender? Noooo Marshall

I keep looking for a deal on a Marshall Class 5, but no luck yet. My Sovtek came from my lead guitarists house, where he was using it as a weight for a cymbal stand. I paid a guy $45 to get the electronics back in shape. Can't get a Marshall for anything close to that price.

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
  • Motorcycles: SV650, C3, Sprint GT
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »

Oh, and used is fine.

thanks,

- Dan

I had the same question a few years ago. I dragged my brother who has been playing since he was a kid to the Guitar Center. I told him to find the best option under $300. This is what he came back with.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/omen-omen-active/omen-6-151-detail

I've been pretty happy with it.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
I had the same question a few years ago. I dragged my brother who has been playing since he was a kid to the Guitar Center. I told him to find the best option under $300. This is what he came back with.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/omen-omen-active/omen-6-151-detail

I've been pretty happy with it.

Yep, and you can score them used for well under $200.

Offline fourstring

• Motorcycles: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 05:11:19 PM »

Oh, and used is fine.

thanks,

- Dan

Acoustic - I've been pleasantly surprised by my Mom's Blue Ridge.  Ran about 500-600 bones.

Electric - They're much maligned, but Dean and Peavey make some fairly nice stuff in the $200 range.  The Mexican Fenders play well (I started on one), but the price is getting a little high for my taste compared to what's otherwise available.

As for used, I actually tried to buy a used axe at a local shop last weekend for a friend.  For less money, he ended up with a much nicer Squire (if that gives you an idea of how beat up the used stuff is).  Used instruments are a real crapshoot unless you're buying something distinctive.
For all the people that reside there, the center of the universe must be awfully crowded.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 09:32:33 PM »
With the advent of ubiquitous internet access, the pawn shop deal has mostly died. Most pawn shops can look something up and price it accordingly.

Stumbling across a killer deal is rare these days.

With a retail price of between $900 and $1500, my recently scarfed-up $300 Martin D-15 Dreadnought (all mahogany with rosewood appointments) was, imo, about as close as I've seen in decades.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 07:56:41 AM »
Acoustic - I've been pleasantly surprised by my Mom's Blue Ridge.  Ran about 500-600 bones.

Oh man, I forgot about the Blue Ridge guitars. Easily the best $300 acoustic I've ever played.