Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Orchard trees from cuttings  (Read 1571 times)

Offline melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
Orchard trees from cuttings
« on: July 07, 2014, 08:29:03 PM »
So if I go to the nursery, all the apple trees they have are drarf or semi-dwarf.  The fruiting wood you want, grafted to a dwarfing rootstock.  We have a property that's just begging for a few standard apple trees in the front yard.  Can I take cuttings from the dwarf tree in our yard and would they become standard once they rooted and grew a bit?  Should I cut fruiting wood or suckers for the best result?

I'd like to do something similar with some old cider apple trees in my parents' yard.  Previous (19th century) owners of their house were the village cider makers.

Any knowledge you can share would be great.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Re: Orchard trees from cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:38 PM »
Your science seems correct, but I would just buy the trees from an online seller.  They are established better that way. 
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:24:25 AM »
Your science seems correct, but I would just buy the trees from an online seller.  They are established better that way.

:withstupid:

Don't get pot grown trees, get ones grown in the ground-they'll come with bare roots. Find a reputable nursery online.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Stormcrow

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2003 Triumph Trophy 1200, 1982 Honda GL1100 Standard
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:58:15 AM »
 :withstupid:
You may have a tough time getting cuttings to root properly.
Check out St. Lawrence Nurseries http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us - they sell no dwarf or semi-dwarf stock. While it may not be viable for you to purchase from them and I see they no longer maintain their full catalog online, they have some good information on the website.
I've found them to be a good source for cold-hardy tree varieties one won't find anywhere else.
“For I smell of the earth… and am worn by the weather…”

Buy my wife's art - help support my bad habits
www.elizabethandrewsstudio.com