Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lil Teeny Ball Bearings  (Read 8336 times)

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
Lil Teeny Ball Bearings
« on: July 07, 2014, 08:41:50 AM »
While performaing some maintenance in the Bonnieville in our motorpool, I had cause to disassemble the low/high beam switch . . . there's a subminiature ball bearing that's used as a detent dealio . . .said subatomic-sized ball went flying into parts unknown in the Lab (Cookie  . . . . .did it appear in the Lab - -Eastern Annex via wormhole, perhance?).

Thing was about a mm or so . . . . . . where would I begin to look for something like this . . . .I REALLY don't wanna sens hundreds of dollars to Blighty for the lack of a 2 cent part . . . . .

thanks!
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
Re: Lil Teeny Ball Bearings
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:42:05 AM »
Try looking where the c-clip was.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:57:47 AM »
Various sized steel shotgun pellets?

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 10:14:38 AM »
now that's an idea, Whip -- thanks . . . . . . didn't realize they came that small . . . .
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 10:30:01 AM »
There's always the local Ace hardware.

Every day is my birthday

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »
There's always the local Ace hardware.

s'trooth . . . . . .I THINK their smallest is small enough . . . . .thanks for the reminder, Ed.

Oh, and, Happy Birthday.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:50:59 PM »
Soo...??
 :popcorn:
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:51:08 AM »
oops . . . .sorry . . . . .

the hardware store ball bearings were too big . . . ..  I had choices, either buy the right size freom McMaster-Carr (or similar), and get 500 of em, or slightly widen the plastic groove into which the bearing has to fit in the switch housing . . . .  5 minutes with a small file, and, hey, presto, work fine with an oversized ball bearing ;-}

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:00:46 AM »
You've upset the critical power/weight ratio and the overall mass of the vehicle. England will be in touch.
this signature on hold pending review

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »
Ballsy choice.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »
You've upset the critical power/weight ratio and the overall mass of the vehicle. England will be in touch.

I ain't skeered . . . . I got a guy in England ;-}

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »
Yeah but, I mean, he's English. Tom Hardy and James Bond are the only English badasses.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »
Yeah but, I mean, he's English. Tom Hardy and James Bond are the only English badasses.

ya know, you're right . . . .I'd better call my Welshman! I'll offer him eels, he's ,mad for eels!

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »

ya know, you're right . . . .I'd better call my Welshman! I'll offer him eels, he's ,mad for eels!

Now you're cooking!  :thumbsup:  :lol:

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 02:17:58 PM »
Eels song - The Mighty Boosh - BBC comedy
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 12:15:26 AM »
While performaing some maintenance in the Bonnieville in our motorpool, I had cause to disassemble the low/high beam switch . . . there's a subminiature ball bearing that's used as a detent dealio . . .said subatomic-sized ball went flying into parts unknown in the Lab (Cookie  . . . . .did it appear in the Lab - -Eastern Annex via wormhole, perhance?).

Thing was about a mm or so . . . . . . where would I begin to look for something like this . . . .I REALLY don't wanna sens hundreds of dollars to Blighty for the lack of a 2 cent part . . . . .

thanks!

This is a good reminder to do this sort of dissembling in a controlled environment i.e. use some kind of containment device, and separate parts carefully.

That said a magnet on a stick, and a good flashlight should be handy tools in any wrencher's box.

It's also a good idea to keep the shop floor clean for just such occasions.

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 08:48:36 PM »

Crapy old carpet seems to work for me, things don't bounce that far and easier on the feet.
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline M.Brane

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »

Crapy old carpet seems to work for me, things don't bounce that far and easier on the feet.

Yeah, but that would mean I'd have to use the vacuum instead of the air hose/leaf blower.

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 10:04:34 PM »

Yeah, but that would mean I'd have to use the vacuum instead of the air hose/leaf blower.

Na just pick the piece up and shake it out (over the neighbors fence)
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 08:23:56 AM »

What if we don't have a fence?

Every day is my birthday

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 08:10:30 PM »

Just find a place to shake it, in private or for a crowd. Guess it just depends on how adventurous you are

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »

Just find a place to shake it, in private or for a crowd. Guess it just depends on how adventurous you are

So how close to Frisco are you?

Every day is my birthday

Offline M.Brane

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 09:59:08 PM »
 I'm into rubber.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 12:27:57 AM »
I'm into rubber.

It's got its plusses.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online Andrew

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 07:41:08 PM »

So how close to Frisco are you?

Why do you ask?
Are you feeling lonely  :crazy:

P.S. frisco   SanFrancisco

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »

thanks!
Just read this , sorry.

Yes it did. I used it on the VW. Sorry.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 08:23:18 AM »
No worries . . . . .. seems I need to convert the Entropy Lab into a clean room environment over the winter . . . . so I can find a 2.4mm ball bearing ;-}

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »
No worries . . . . .. seems I need to convert the Entropy Lab into a clean room environment over the winter . . . . so I can find a 2.4mm ball bearing ;-}

Maybe you can help me with my garage to. I'm still looking for that 10mm socket i lost 4 years ago.

Every day is my birthday

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 09:52:16 AM »
last night I was putting brake pads in the 300's front caliper when I noticed one of the little clips that holds the pin in was bent. 2 needle nose pliers and I will have it bent back in no......snap...ping...ping.... shit..... It appears to have simply disappeared after the second thing it bounced off of???
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 10:22:56 AM »
last night I was putting brake pads in the 300's front caliper when I noticed one of the little clips that holds the pin in was bent. 2 needle nose pliers and I will have it bent back in no......snap...ping...ping.... shit..... It appears to have simply disappeared after the second thing it bounced off of???

Been there. Done that.  :lol:  That's why i have 2 new ones sitting in the parts drawer.

Every day is my birthday

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 11:12:45 AM »
REAL Labs have resident Black Holes that dissapear stuff fromtime to time.

All you can do is hope the disspeared stuff is not valuable or hard to replace.

Ed  . . .  I gotta spare socket you can have -- you already have the most squared away garage known to upright human kind.