Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your best iPad apps  (Read 2247 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Your best iPad apps
« on: July 06, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »
So I have this thing in my hand.  I'm finding I'm not a tablet guy (as Imentioned before), but I'm gonna give it a go.  What are the apps that you most use and love?

'Nuther question as well: 
For music and movies, my droid and Sony Droid tablet show up as a drive- I drag and drop music, movies, and files.  Can I do this with the iPad or does it have to be managed by iTunes?

TIA!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Re: Your best iPad apps
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
battery saver,
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »
The security built into the file structure and OS prevent it from being attached to something that isn't also confirmed as secure (one reason the Lightning connector is expensive is because of the required, chip that flags external devices as kosher).

There's a long, documented explanation about it, (and maybe some 3rd party bypasses for earlier versions of the hardware/software) but Itunes is the main path in/out of the iPad; especially the current version of iOS and hardware.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »
This is the older model- no lightening connector.  iPad retina display wifi only.  Does that help?
Let's do some science.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »
What version of iOS? Along the way, each version has gotten better and better WRT sandboxing to prevent the attacks by malware that Android's been experiencing.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 08:27:27 AM »
What version of iOS? Along the way, each version has gotten better and better WRT sandboxing to prevent the attacks by malware that Android's been experiencing.

7.1.1  (11D201)  That make sense?
Let's do some science.

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 08:39:54 AM »
Favorite apps?

1.  Ballistics App.  Yes, for calculating bullet trajectories and drops when I'm at the gun range...or when I'm just engaging in some synthetic frippery debating if I should be using a 140gr. or 150gr. bullet at 3100 or 3000fps...because, well, that 1/2" at 300 yard trajectory difference is really gonna make a difference.  (*yeah, not it isn't.   ;D )

2.  Rogue Touch.  I love this silly little 8-bit game.  I've gone through dozens of games and just keep coming back to this old-school remake.

3.  Flashlight App.  'Nough said.

4.  GPS Lite.  Freeware GPS app for walking/hiking/etc.

5.  Skype. 

And, well, that's really about it.  Other than texting and emails and surfing the web for midget pron there isn't much else I need the IPhone for.

IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 09:25:27 AM »
Good news is that you're pretty current on your iOS updates (I think there's a new one (7.1.2) that you could update to).

Each version compartmentalizes file structures and access better and better to prevent exploitations. The trade off is that you can't use it as a "dumb USB drive". Embrace the fact that few malware exploits for iOS exist for a reason and this is one of the big ones. As ripe a plumb as it would be to grab, every criminal in the world would be doing it if they weren't prevented from doing so. You can bet there's a cadre of criminals trying their hardest (and failing).

Embrace the iTunes. Any DRM free media file can be imported into it and then synced to the iPad. I prefer M4V and MP4 formats for video because they crunch down small and the end result is fine on the smaller screen of the iPhone or iPad (even a laptop). Where I can get 2 or 3 ISO movies on my Touchpad, I can get 16 or more on there in M4V format.

For those more interested in a deep dive into iOS security, there's a 3-part discussion by Steve Gibson here:

https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Episodes 446, 447, & 448 go into extreme detail and are very interesting and educational. To skip the security news parts of each podcast, jump to the midpoint of each and work forward or backward a bit to find where they start the iOS part of the broadcast. Be advised that these are not "fan boy" bits. They are very technical and dig into the guts of their topic with relish. However, Gibson is very good at explaining the jargon to those with less technical backgrounds. It's done in a conversational way to help keep their topics from being as dry as they might otherwise be.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »
Best ones eh?

Goodreader - I have a lot of game PDFs and while iBooks can read them, Goodreader is better for organizing and reading.

Kindle - I don't have a great deal of eBooks but the ones I have, I read through the Kindle app.

Politico - I don't necessarily keep up on politics 24x7 but during elections it is handy to have a dedicated app to follow what's going on.

For games:

Carmageddon - Drive around running over pedestrians. Can't ask for a better, time wasting game :)  Unfortunately they did an update which killed it on the 1st Gen iPad. Still works on my iPhone though.

Duke 3D - The original Duke Nukem 3D on the iPad. Great fun.

Ticket to Ride - Board game transferred to the iPad. And you can play with others either by handing it to the other person on their turn or even two devices.

I have had fun with GWars: Touch and RealRacing HD although I don't play them as much as I play Carmageddon.

I have several music related apps but have only really used iElectribe with any regularity. I use the presets as drum machines when I'm practicing guitar.

I've used Evernote with regularity and it works reasonably well. One unfortunate issue is if I'm using the iPad without WiFi, the stuff I've written isn't always on the iPad. So I suspect they store the data in "The Cloud", maybe after a certain period of inactivity.

The others I use are the web browser and email. I play tunes through my stereo or here at work through my PC speakers.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 10:42:52 AM »
Check out airstash.com  - it's a way to get photos and video and data to iphones/ipads. Has its own app, basically is a wireless thumb drive for iProducts, totally secure, and many many users can stream at a time. Uses SD cards, or micro SD cards, or some such.

THey can be purchased under the SanDisk name as well.

- Dan

Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.