Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Chinese seem to be here...  (Read 2668 times)

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
The Chinese seem to be here...
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CFmoto has been selling their middle weight bikes and quads in Australia for 3 years-and they sell well. They've even begun selling them in the UK and Europe.

They do bikes in a 650 size and quads up to 800cc.

They're cheap but the quality is meant to be high. Anyone ever ridden one?

Article here: http://cyclenews.uberflip.com/i/339119/79

We’ve all known it would take place sooner or later, but now it’s finally happening: A Chinese manufacturer has stepped on to the world stage with a growing range of affordably priced mid-sized motorcycles targeted at export sales, rather than smaller capacity models aimed at customers closer to home in the world’s largest motorcycle market. And let’s not forget that almost 14 million motorcycles were sold in the People’s Republic in 2013, against 10 million in the next largest, India.

CFMoto Power Co. Ltd. is a subsidiary of the Chunfeng – meaning “gentle breeze,” - Holding Group (hence CF), an engineering company founded in 1989 by 24-year old Lai Guogui to make components for the growing powered two-wheeler industry. It only began manufacturing complete motorcycles in 2000, when it obtained the necessary government license to do so, but since 1996 the company had built 125cc motors for sale to other companies; and the following year it developed the first complete liquid-cooled motorcycle engine made in China, again for supply to other brands. In 2007 CFMoto moved into its present purpose built 490,000 square foot plant in Hangzhou with a 1520-strong workforce (200 of which are qualified engineers directly involved with R&D of new products ) that is steadily ramping up production not only of bikes and scooters, but especially ATVs - in which CFMoto is a market leader.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
Re: The Chinese seem to be here...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »
The only thing I have seen here is scary poor quality. Perhaps these are a (whole lot) better product.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »
All the Chinese bikes I've seen here are shite. This marke seems to be different.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:00:08 PM »
Have a friend who owns a bike service shop. He said that the parts are so cheap that even the Chinese scrap them instead of fixing them when major parts break.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:22:36 PM »
Have a friend who owns a bike service shop. He said that the parts are so cheap that even the Chinese scrap them instead of fixing them when major parts break.

Well that's not a good review.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 08:47:15 PM »
I should have said, "so cheaply made". Often spares aren't even available for major components.

Online M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
 It looks very Suzuki-ish.

I know somebody who has a Hyosung GT250R. Not the best quality bike, but hard to beat for the price. Personally I'll stick to the better Asian bikes. I just wish they'd build something that compels me to buy new. The only new bike I'd consider ATM is the crossplane R1. It would be tough to stomach the insurance on that though, and it's not exactly meant for long days in the saddle.

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 07:02:32 AM »
This is probably the beginning of respectable Chinese bikes. Before too long, they will get it right.
 My first bike was a new 1964 Honda 50. (Not the step through one). Honda just started to import in '62 or '63 and people didn't know what to think. Of course Honda bikes were pretty high quality from the start here.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 09:56:39 AM »
Haven't seen one, but if you look at then hyosung product closely, they are very agricultural and their small details are extremely plain and unfinished.

The Lifan dirt bikes and quads look terrible, the axle adjusters seem to be made from cheese, and the bikes components rust at the slightest hint of rain.

I've seen several of the Chinese quads for sale on the local FB bike/truck/car page, and they all have extremely low hours but are usually advertised as having all new brakes, new carb, or other major components replaced that one would not think are necessary for an ORV with only like 6-8 hours use on it.

I'd pay the money for proven Japanese quality any day.

Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 02:22:36 PM »
Some of us seem to be missing the point.

Here is a Chinese factory-a fairly small one-making bikes up to European standards.

Most Chinese bikes are shite. Six months. That's the best most of them will last.

But then, most early Japanese products were shite as well-and then they killed the European bike industry nearly dead. Harley scarcely survived, too. It was a pretty awful period, when BSA/ Triumph went down, Norton died and other marques died too (okay, BSA/ Triumph was appalling management with designs too little, too late.)

Are the Chinese upping their game-with this marque, so much that even the Japanese could worry?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 06:22:34 AM »
I remember driving (someone else's) Hundai Excel in 1988 thinking they'd never amount to crap w/ that kind of quality.  I also swore I'd never buy a Kia or whatever brand touts their 100K warranty proudly and confidently stating that a warranty like that was pointless if they'd never go that far.  Still won't buy a Kia but... 

China could just move from using 9 year old girls to 12 year old girls as child slave labor and seriously increase the quality of their products. 

It's coming. 

yes i know the above examples are Korean
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 07:20:21 AM »
KIA (part of Hyundai) makes a kick ass car these days. I'd own one in a heartbeat.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 07:40:13 AM »
Haven't seen one, but if you look at then hyosung product closely, they are very agricultural and their small details are extremely plain and unfinished.

The Lifan dirt bikes and quads look terrible, the axle adjusters seem to be made from cheese, and the bikes components rust at the slightest hint of rain.

I've seen several of the Chinese quads for sale on the local FB bike/truck/car page, and they all have extremely low hours but are usually advertised as having all new brakes, new carb, or other major components replaced that one would not think are necessary for an ORV with only like 6-8 hours use on it.

I'd pay the money for proven Japanese quality any day.

I gotta be honest- I paid $75 for one of those cheap Chinese quads from someone I knew.  It ran but had no brakes.  Turns out the brake reservoir somehow was twisted to 90 degrees, so none of the brake fluid got to the cylinder.  I fixed that and it worked great- the kids ride the crap outta the thing.

That said, I replaced bolts almost every time they ride it for the first couple months, and getting the chain adjusted right it a PIA.  It constantly wants to throw it.  However, the engine and drivetrain just keeps on going.  Best $75 I have spent in a LONG time.  When they take it out and ride for a couple hours (2-3 tanks of gas) I fully expect it just to grenade at some point- but she keeps on going.

Oh, it weighs a freaking ton for a little quad too.  But it goes.   :shrug:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline tyrroneous

• Motorcycles: Daytona 675, SV650 (wifes) and some dirt bikes.
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
CFMoto/Hyosung are where Hyundai was 15-20 yrs ago.  We've owned a 2012 Optima it was is a great car.  But I wouldn't touch Kia's 10 years ago.  I wouldn't consider a Chinese bike as a viable, reliable mode of transport just yet.  But its coming.  Give them 5-7 yrears and I bet they have something more akin to Kawasaki/Suzuki quality.