Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Office Deaths  (Read 6484 times)

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
Office Deaths
« on: July 02, 2014, 03:03:36 PM »
It's one of those things that happen to everyone I suppose. Someone you work with passes away suddenly.

One of the application guys passed away Monday night. He was probably no older than 40 (some estimate mid 40's, others mid-30's). A few months back he slowly collapsed in his cubical while talking to others. Not really unconscious. Just slowly sank to the floor. A month or so he was found on the floor in the Men's room. I did notice that lately he's been looking somewhat paler than normal. But he also was in good spirits up until Friday, the last time folks saw him.

My own feelings are pretty ambivalent. With folks walked out for various infractions, both here and in other places, it's almost like he simply quit or was walked out. "Sorry, he's just not working here any more."

Some of the folks here got somewhat emotional. And I get the emotional part. I was pretty devastated over the divorce and having to put my cat to sleep last year. So I'm not unemotional.

Here we've had one other person I worked with pass away overnight. Others in the company that I don't know have passed away including a biker who missed a curve. I donated blood in his name.

When my boss at SAIC passed away when talking to our customer on the phone (he was just a year older than me), I was pretty thoughtful and it was one of the decisions that had us move to Colorado.

Others have passed as well. The guy who fell asleep at the wheel and ran into the back of stopped traffic at full speed and without his seatbelt on. The guy who was working out on the treadmill in the company gym and was found dead at the base of it by someone later. The guy who was complaining about a splitting headache and died of an aneurism when mowing the lawn.

And of course the friend who just happened to be at an Oracle meeting in New York on 9/11. He was a trained EMT in Virginia and grabbed his gear to offer his help. He was found under a fallen block.

It's unfortunate of course but it's hard to feel more than "it's too bad, he was so young" and try not to look confused when folks are crying over his death.

Anyway. Life's short. Shorter for some.

Ride Safe.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: Office Deaths
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 03:09:41 PM »
Mental note....don't work in an office with Carl.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 03:27:27 PM »
Mental note....don't work in an office with Carl.

You have to make a note? :)

Carl

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »
I was expecting an item on ONE office death and read through a litany!

If you hear of ONE death in my office you know I won't be making any coffee.

Life goes on.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:49:11 PM »
I've only really dealt with one at work. A few retirees I worked with have passed, but they were old and it was expected so no real shock. The one that did bother me was a young apprentice, my apprentice, who got a cold that never went away. Eventually it was diagnosed as Lymphoma. he died a few months later. 23 years old and an amazingly coherent person when confronted with his own death. planned his own funeral. want the hair to stand up on your neck have a friend ask you to be a pallbearer at his funeral and know he is serious.  that one bothered me quite a bit. In typical lineman fashion we went out and got shitfaced after the funeral.

the rest, even family members, have little emotional affect one me?
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 03:51:58 PM »
I was expecting an item on ONE office death and read through a litany!

If you hear of ONE death in my office you know I won't be making any coffee.

Life goes on.

Hey, it did say "Office Deaths" :)

Carl

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 03:56:52 PM »
Note to self,

f*ck the office people with their air conditioning and fresh coffee.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Mac

• Just got out of prison
  • Motorcycles: none
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »
When I worked for Raytheon, 3 people I personally knew died of various heart / stress causes.

The company would gladly work people to death if they could.
May I mambo dogface to the banana patch?

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »
Is this a rant thread?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 09:01:33 PM »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 09:25:34 PM »
Jim Carroll is dead.

Cool song.

Everybody dies. People we are close to die.
Torque is cheap.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 11:05:44 PM »
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 11:16:28 PM »
At the end of 2012 I was at my wits end - darn near breakdown.  Feb 2013 I pretty much did have a breakdown.  Resigned a management position, fell apart, started to reevaluate...never quite realized just how far "gone" I was.  Chest pressure, headaches, stress, months of sleepless nights.  I was a dick on a good day...most days weren't good.

It took most of 2013 to recover from that on a personal basis.  I'm still with the same company, still hold a highly respected position, still have the respect of my clients and the industry. 

But damned if I didn't have to re-evaluate "whats important" and get my head right.  I sleep most nights, smile a lot more, laugh a lot more and don't take as many things as seriously. 

Business is not worth dying over.  I hope I never go down that path again.

IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 12:39:37 AM »
@BMW-K: Yeah. NO company is worth dying for. Sorry to hear you went through that. Glad you turned the corner. Glad you are 'back'.

Graduate school: Three people I knew committed suicide - a gifted student, a fellow classmate, and a fellow grad student whose desk was right next to mine. I had premonitions the week of his death wondering if I would walk in one morning and find him dead.

Manic-depressives every one of them. Didn't want to take their meds. The manic periods are so seductive.

I remember weighing out the chemical one of them used - the exact amount that would kill me - and realized that I would never be that depressed and I would never understand being that depressed. It's a whole different reality, but a parallel one. You both experience the same world but perceive it and react differently.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 01:06:40 AM »

At the end of 2012 I was at my wits end - darn near breakdown.  Feb 2013 I pretty much did have a breakdown.  Resigned a management position, fell apart, started to reevaluate...never quite realized just how far "gone" I was.  Chest pressure, headaches, stress, months of sleepless nights.  I was a dick on a good day...most days weren't good.

It took most of 2013 to recover from that on a personal basis.  I'm still with the same company, still hold a highly respected position, still have the respect of my clients and the industry. 

But damned if I didn't have to re-evaluate "whats important" and get my head right.  I sleep most nights, smile a lot more, laugh a lot more and don't take as many things as seriously. 

Sounds eerily familiar.
Might be reaching a similar place myself.
Reevaluation time fast approaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 06:20:40 AM »
When I was working, at 2 different companies,a 20year old guy died. Both car crashes. It was more being struck with how young they were then sadness. I didn't really know them very well.
In my personal life, I've experienced the death of a brother and my Mom and Dad. I was more relieved than sad for my brother and mom. He was in and out of mental hospitals and very unhappy. She had Alzheimer's. With my Dad, we were not close. Sometimes I think that there is something wrong with me, as I find death part of life and don't get very emotional when someone dies.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline MrsCablebandit

• Purveyor of Cookies.org
    • Pineapple Ponderings
  • Motorcycles: '10 C14 Passenger
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 07:33:33 AM »
About 11 years ago, one of the client managers at the investment firm where CB and I use to work went to the gym in Building 3, changed his clothes in the locker room, and headed outside for a run through the nearby neighborhoods on his lunch break. Two hours later when he was late for an important meeting, people started looking for him. The staff at the gym did not recall seeing him return. Turns out, he was the DOA John Doe brought to the local hospital 90 minutes prior. He dropped over of a heart attack in one of the neighborhoods shortly after he left the building. Local lady saw him go down, called 911, but he was gone. Since that point, anyone who walks or runs outside and uses the gym locker room to change has to sign in and out and must carry at least their work ID (they need it to get back into the building anyway).

I was pretty ripped up about it - a) because he was one of the fittest guys I knew* and b) because we'd just started a quasi-mentoring relationship as I was interested in transitioning to client management. I'd met him in a training class a few months prior and - long story short - we had to forfeit our shoes in the class (it was a leadership style class) and we bonded over that moment. When I went to the viewing and spoke to his wife, I mentioned how I'd "lost my shoes" with her husband. She laughed and said, "He told me about that and how much fun he had that day in that class." Apparently, he didn't really want to go, but he told her that sitting next to me in the class made him glad he did. The minute I was out the door of the funeral home, I lost it.

Here at PSU, about 4-5 years ago we lost one of our trades supervisors to a brain tumor. When I started 10 years ago, he'd had surgery to have a tumor removed and been through treatment and was on the mend. Things were looking good! Until one scan when they didn't. It was incredibly difficult to watch a guy not more than 10 years older than me fade so quickly. And he was a genuinely nice guy - respected by his crew and peers, thorough in his work, friendly, kind. It was a terrible loss for our facilities family. Every now and then I'll run a historical budget report and his name will pop up and I think, "He was one of the good ones."

Here's to Jim and Brian.

*yes, I know fit people die, too
I used to make a bigger impression.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Ride reports and other musings.

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »
Lots of people die where I work. I mean, lots.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »
It is always a sobering moment when you learn that a coworker that you saw a few weeks before, died suddenly.
He was about my age and looked tired. He didn't wake up one morning.
Ride safe!

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 12:54:26 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, none of my coworkers have passed away. Clearly I provide life and longevity wherever I go.

Offline Napper

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 1998 VFR 800, 2000 XR650L, 2000 VFR 800
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 02:51:31 PM »
Is this a rant thread?

I thought it was an office etiquette thread?

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 03:02:56 PM »
Is this a rant thread?

I thought it was an office etiquette thread?

That was my other thought. Don't die at work.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 04:12:34 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, none of my coworkers have passed away. Clearly I provide life and longevity wherever I go.

Unlike Papa.

Very unlike Papa.

A person of interest?
Torque is cheap.

Offline Mac

• Just got out of prison
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »

But your competitor's employees are fair game, eh? Good practice for your hockey comeback.

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
 Don't know how many of my coworkers have died, but here's a list of the ones that have been killed: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/paffairs/about/memoriam.htm

Nobody I've worked with directly, but I've had some close calls.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »
Half my OKC Division Office "went away" as part of the 168 that died (and 680 more that were injured) in the OKC Murrah Building bombing. I worked side-by-side with them all and many were friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLawYAZ8bXo

That wasn't spread out over years either. Suck it up buttercup.

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2014, 02:38:21 AM »
/thread

:-(
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 06:50:44 AM »

I will never manage people again. Many of those very same reasons. I can analyze, optimize, enhance, I can find logistical solutions, I can design and code solutions, hell I could build any thing you want... But FUCK ever managing people ever again. I was meant to be a cog, not a manager.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 07:09:03 AM »
I recently went through this.

My department is small: manager and four colleagues. I just joined the department a couple of months ago, but the two workers I share my office with had been working together for 5+ years, and within the company itself for 10+.

Kathy left work on a Friday and was never seen alive again. The alarms were raised when she failed to pick up her son from her ex's house Sunday night. The police were called and a three country search (I work near the borders of Switzerland, Germany and France) was begun. On Wednesday they found her car at a parking spot in the woods of Alsace (France). The next day, using helicopters and dogs, they found her body. She had been hiking, slipped off the trail and fell to her death.

She was in her mid-40s and was a happy person. She loved to hike and would often take off alone, so what she had done was not unusual for her. But what I think about most is twofold:

1) it happened so suddenly. I could go for a hike tomorrow and die. Or I could die while sitting here on my couch. Most don't know when their time is up.

2) Selfishly, in the days before she was found I wondered about the work. Like I said, we're a small department and each one has a full load. With someone suddenly not there, it was difficult to fill the gap. There were so many projects she was in the middle of, conversations she was part of. It was truly awkward to reply to an email sent to Kathy with "I'm sorry to tell you, but Kathy passed away suddenly last week".

Anyway... life is short. I shouldn't be sitting here on the couch  :redface:
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »
I was meant to be a productive cog in the works, not an exasperated, pull'n-my-hair-out manager cat herder.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline satxbonneville

• Bailiff, whack his peepee!
  • Motorcycles: '04 Bonneville T100, '03 V-Strom 1000, '06 Ninja 500
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »
Is it OK to have mental list of co-workers who would benefit the company were they to become ex-parrots?

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 01:36:43 PM »
Is it OK to have mental list of co-workers who would benefit the company were they to become ex-parrots?

No. Killing Norwegians is wrong. Even if they are Smurfs.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline Mac

• Just got out of prison
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 01:44:49 PM »

What if they are French or Belgian?

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »

What if they are French or Belgian?

Tally Ho!
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »

I hope so
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2014, 11:24:21 PM »
I lost a former student- that was hard- he was a kid that really taught me a lot- one of my first students.  Drug OD.  As far as I know he's the only one I have lost in 20 years of teaching.

I also lost a couple of co-workers to cancer.  Tough, but it happens. 
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.