Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Connect a wi-fi router to wi-fi router?  (Read 3799 times)

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Connect a wi-fi router to wi-fi router?
« on: July 02, 2014, 01:02:13 PM »
Recently, I decided to upgrade my router at home.  My old router's range didn't cover a portion of my home.  The new router works great and while the wifi range is much improved, it doesn't reach all the way to my office located in the back of my house.

I do have an ethernet line which runs from the main router (located in my wife's work from home office) to my office.  I'm wondering if it would be possible to extend the range of my wifi by connecting the long ethernet cable currently connected to the PC in my office from the new router to old router.  Then, I could add my computer to the older router directly.  While I realize this would create a separate wi-fi network, I'm fine with that because there are only two devices that would ever use it (my work laptop and my PlayStation). 

Is there any reason this wouldn't work?
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Re: Connect a wi-fi router to wi-fi router?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 01:15:41 PM »
There are specific range extenders intended for this.  Some routers can be used as a repeater, some cannot.  I have a netgear range extender that is fantastic.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »
I used range extenders with my previous router.  I must have had some bad ones because everytime we lost power, they needed to  be reprogrammed.  PIA.

My thought was connecting this router to the hard line on my side of the house would provide me with a separate strong wi-fi network on that side of the house (BTW, my current work computer and PlayStation are still configured to the wifi network set up on that router).  And, it would give me flexability to add my printer directly to the router for Sheri to use over the network.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
When I've had one router hard wired via ethernet to another router, some peripherals (printers particularly) had intermittent issues that required that both routers had to be reset.  Addresses seemed to give the printer fits.  Newer printers may have solved this, but it was a huge hassle a few years ago.

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 01:25:48 PM »
Thanks, that's a good point!

From what I've been able to find using my Goggle skills, this is possible. 

However, given how I want to use it, do I do a LAN to WAN connection or a LAN to LAN?

I believe I'll connect my old router to my new one via a LAN out to a WAN in.  Then, I'll connect my PC directly to the old router via LAN.

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 01:35:47 PM »
I do that in my house - router from cable company in basement, which goes to a 'splitter/router' right next to it to feed devices in the basement, and which also sends a long ethernet cable to a centrally located closet on the main floor, plugged into an independent 2nd router which serves the house. I made the one in the basement a "guest" router, and the one on the main floor a router for the family.

Cheapest and easiest way to do it, although I need to extend the router in my in-law's summer house, and would love suggestions as to how to accomplish that!

- Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »
You can have 2 routers in a LAN segment but, unless they are extenders, they need different IP addresses.

What I have now is this.

Cable modem - Gigabit Ethernet Switch - to 8 things.

1. 4 port router with DHCP enabled but no WiFi (static IP address on LAN)
2. Ethernet printer
3. Desktop PC
4. Ethernet run to a room to a central place in the house
5. Gigabit Ethernet switch #2 in home entertainment center in living room
6-8 open

4 is a run to a router set up as a WiFi Access Point. DHCP disabled. It points to Router #1 for it's addressing. Static IP address on LAN.

Router #1 gets WAN addressing and connectivity from ISP.
Router #2 gets it's LAN info from Router #1.

Hardwired items get info for LAN from Router #1 (and bypasses the router for PtP traffic inside the LAN because of the switching, so the router only loads up for LAN/WAN routing and DHCP management).

WiFi items get info from Router #2 which then passes LAN traffic through the switch(es) or through Router #1 for WAN traffic.

You can have overlapping WiFi zones on the same LAN segment with range extenders or by setting up each WiFi with a different LAN IP address (last octet) and different SSID. If you're mobile while connecting and moving between zones, you could lose/acquire connectivity while moving between zones (handoff) but the devices' ability to reacquire connections will be dependent on the device and if you have auto-connect enabled to known networks. The disadvantage of this is the gap in connectivity while moving between zones. The advantage is that standard, low-cost WiFi routers can be used. For better, since SSID/IP/WiFi connections, range extenders would be the way to go in spite of their (usual) higher cost and lack of flexibility for use in other configurations (backups for main router, etc.).

There are some VERY neat solutions that include POE (power over Ethernet) and multi-zone WiFi coverage.

http://geekbeat.tv/unifi-wireless-system-review/

http://geekbeat.tv/editors-choice-open-mesh-wifi-network-for-large-homes-and-small-businesses/

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »
Wow, that is excellent feedback and I appreciate it.  To be honest, I understand 70% of it.   :crazy:

"Damnit Jim, I'm a Banker not an IT person."

Currently, we're not sharing anything on our current network (i.e. printers, other).  The main wireless router connects to these three things directly via Ethernet:

1)  Sheri's work PC (Dell)
2)  Phone Modem
3)  Direct TV Whole Home set up
4) My PC (iMac)

The following devices rely on wifi:

*  e-reader
*  ipads
*  personal netbook

I would like to take connection #4 and connect to my old wireless router (LAN to LAN or LAN to WAN??).  Then, connect my iMac directly to that router.  All I want from the router is the internet.

I can then use the wireless network from the old router to run the PlayStation and my work PC which I bring home from time to time.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:56:27 PM by R Doug »

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
I'm doing something a little different:

The Fios router is just the point where Internet and Fios comes in.  It is Etherneted to an Apple Airport Extreme.  The Airport extreme has a different address.  One is 168.192.0.1 the other 168.192.1.1.  All Wifi goes through the Airport extreme.   I have server backup etherneted to the Airport extreme.  Upstairs, I have an older Netgear range extender as a repeater and then another newer Netgear range extender in the detached workshop exercise room.  I run internet (for movies) through the wifi via 2 range extenders.  It is nearly flawless (sometimes the older range extender needs reboot, but not reconfiguration).

Printer is Wifi.  2 computers, ipads and Nexus tablets via wifi.

I can access internet via the 2nd range extender, the first range extender or the base Airport Extreme router, depending on signal strength.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »
Go WAN (ISP) to router.

Router to iMac (wired) and WiFi other stuff (don't use the iMac as a gateway).

Have the WiFi protected with WPA (it isolates different devices from each other on the LAN for security reasons).

ISP (WAN)
Router
Home (LAN with DHCP enabled)
Ethernet.........................WiFi (WPA2 security password)
iMac...............................Phone(s)
Printer, etc......................Tablet, eReader, Netbook (except for big downloads, then plug it in)

I went with the extra switch(es) to keep traffic off the router unless the packets need to head outside to the WAN. It keeps the WAN throughput as high as possible. The switch(es) will route packets between local ports/devices and keeping that traffic from flowing through the segment with the router. No need for the router to look at a packets and make decisions on packets that are just going from the PC to the TV.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 05:57:02 PM »
Move the router.   :shrug:

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 06:00:41 PM »
Yep. You could centralize the WiFi router. The logical layout remains the same. Just the length of the cable changes.

ISP...3' cable...router...3' cable...pc

or

ISP...50' cable to other room... router... 50' cable back to PC

Online R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 06:09:19 PM »
Move the router.   :shrug:

Easier said than done.  The way our house is wired, we use the existing RG6 cable for DirecTV and whole-home DVR.  We only have one outlet in the house connected to Time Warner where we get our internet and phone and that's in Sheri's office. 

Adding my old router on the other side of the house to run my work laptop and PlayStation is cheap and easy.  (and already working).  :)

In addition, I forgot that I had to go through corporate security in order to get my home wifi approved.  That was done on my current old router with the network I had set up on it.  So, this will also save me a ton of paperwork to get my work laptop approved to work with my new wifi router. 

Go WAN (ISP) to router.

Router to iMac (wired) and WiFi other stuff (don't use the iMac as a gateway).

Have the WiFi protected with WPA (it isolates different devices from each other on the LAN for security reasons).

ISP (WAN)
Router
Home (LAN with DHCP enabled)
Ethernet.........................WiFi (WPA2 security password)
iMac...............................Phone(s)
Printer, etc......................Tablet, eReader, Netbook (except for big downloads, then plug it in)

Done and working.  Thanks!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kenja is my old router and mallard2.5 and mallard5 is my new router. 

kenja will only run my work laptop and PlayStation.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »
Sounds like you want to use the second router as an access point. Yeap you can do this, maybe Google router as access point. On my system I come out of one of the LAN ports and plug it into the WAN port on the router I want to use as an AP.
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
I set up my new router as a WiFi AP. Turned off the wired ports completely. Turned off WiFi on the other router. Use the AP for WiFi and the original router for Ethernet only. Since the AP is in the center of the house, it has a stronger signal all around compared to the original one that was at the demark on one end of the house.

I didn't mention it because he seemed to want the coverage of 2 zones.