Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rocksmith  (Read 5073 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Rocksmith
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:42:01 PM »
So I've been playing acoustic for many years now- I also play some bass and have an electric, but I'd like to learn lead stuff.

Rocksmith looks like fun, and a cool way to learn- it's the kind of motivational learning I think I can utilize.

So- help me out.  What do I need to do and get?  I have an electric acoustic, so the ability to plug in is what you need, right?  Thanks!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
Re: Rocksmith
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 07:01:22 PM »
Generally the electric acoustic won't work. There are some that do of course but it might be less hassle to get an inexpensive electric.

It doesnt make a lot of difference but which system will you have it installed?

Steam has a problem where not all the original (Rocksmith aka RS1) downloadable content (DLC) is available for Rocksmith 2014 (RS14). Steam has a rule that you must own the game to buy DLC for it so Steam has been modifying the RS1 DLC a little at a time. But if you own RS1, all the DLC is immediately available for purchase and transfer to RS14. For an additional $10, you can transfer all but 5 of the original songs from RS1 to RS14.

RS14 also works on the Mac but RS1 does not. You can still get the songs as noted above.

On the Xbox360 and PS3 there are no problems with RS1 DLC. The same applies WRT the RS1 original game. Buy it and the transfer tool and have an additional 50 songs to play.

Make sure you get the one with a cable. It is propritary.

RS1 is generally considered a bit easier since the dev team couldn't put all the tinings in so there are mostly E Standard tunings with some Drop D and one or two odd ones. The game has a track where you learn a few songs then play in front of a gradually increasing crowd and venue. You can get to level 11, Rocksmith and/or Rumblesmith for the Bass track. You can also just play songs however guitars, effects, and hidden songs are only available through the concert series. It took me 2 years to finally win Star Spangled Banner. :) One of the cool things is it starts with minimal notes and adds more notes as you get better until you have them all. When you think you have it all, there's a Master Mode where none of the notes are displayed, as if it were a backing track. It does play it back for you so you can see where you missed. There are technique challenges for things like Bends, hammer On/Pull Off, Chords, Harmonics, and Slap and Pop for Bass. There are games to help learn various techniques. There are learning tools as well. The best was a patch where you could set speed and difficulty of a section and play over and over until you mastered it.

RS1 is a guitar game that happens to teach you how to play :)

RS14 is more a learning tool that has games. There are three main tools.

Learn A Song. You can play any of the arrangements, Bass, Rhythm, or Lead. Like RS1, you start with fewer notes and they're added as you get better. Then, unlike RS1, the sections begin to disappear. There is no score but it does tell you how well you did with the notes presented and an overall percentage for the song. So if you only were given 50% of the notes, you could get a 100% accuracy but a 50% mastery because you were only given half the notes. When the sections begin to disappear, your mastery increases past 100%. One of mine is at 108% now.

Part of Learn a Song is continuous mode where you select songs to play and it runs them all through for you.

Session Mode. You select up to four instruments and they play as a backing band trying to follow your lead. There are loads of preset instruments for things like jazz, blues, and country.

Games. The games are still pretty cheesy 80's looking game graphics. But they still do what they did in RS1, help you learn how to play the various techniques.

One of the games is Score Attack. This lets you pick Easy, Intermediate, Hard, and Master and play a song. The song doesn't get easier or harder but there is a score involved. And if you miss three (you get a big *bang* like a cap pistol going off), the game ends and you're scored.

Personally I don't like Score Attack, specifically the *bang*. at times it pisses me off. But you have to realize this is a game and you're competing so there will be failures.

One other good thing is the Technique challenges changed into a series of lessons that are much better than RS1.

There was another product out but only for the Xbox360 and PS3 called BandFuse. It did a scrolling TAB vs a note highway which some folks preferred. Unfortunately they didn't market themselves well (some folks knew about it because of the Rocksmith discussion thread :) ), over promised, and didn't have a PC version. You can probably still find it and it might also be helpful.

I'd suggest getting RS1, the conversion tool, and RS14. By the way, I believe Steam is having a DLC sale right now.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »
RS1 XBox 360 (with the adapter) experience here. I use my Les Paul and it picks up the playing well. It's pass through audio of the guitar is very soft unless I crank up the gain on the guitar.

You need to turn on "game mode" on your tv to reduce lag so the timing is right. If you go through a receiver of split your audio via TOSLink and video to the TV (or switch), then routing everything together in some way also helps sync the video and audio.

Other than that, it does get you to play more than just rote scales, etc.

Offline Loki

• Motorcycles: Hondas
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 10:10:07 PM »
I went with the 2014 version for PC. It came with the cable, just plug it into a USB port and go.

absolutely love it.

I received a Fender Strat for my Christmas gift, so the program was all I needed. On sale for $49.00 at Game stop. If you can get a down load version, that's good also.

L;
I'm lucky that in my life, I've mostly gotten away with stupid.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
I have a good Seagull powered amp Acoustic electric, and a Dean Evo electric.  I forget what the bass is.  I will be using the PC version.
Let's do some science.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:43:15 AM »
You'd be set with the Dean guitar.

Damn. I thought we were going to get to recommend cool budget guitars.

Offline fourstring

• Motorcycles: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
By the way, I believe Steam is having a DLC sale right now.

Carl

I was looking at that.  Any idea how to get a cable if you buy it on Steam?
For all the people that reside there, the center of the universe must be awfully crowded.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 09:00:50 AM »
You can order one from Amazon. I bought 2 extras myself, both for when I connect the Mac to the Living Room TV and play with friends.

Carl

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 11:01:22 PM »
So I should buy Rocksmith 1 with a cable *and* Rocksmith 2014, all for PC?  Or should I start with one of them? 
Let's do some science.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 07:00:50 AM »
So I should buy Rocksmith 1 with a cable *and* Rocksmith 2014, all for PC?  Or should I start with one of them?

In my opinion I had more fun with the first Rocksmith. The songs were easier to play and the tone was more game like. There are some idiosyncrasies with load times and lag but nothing that can't be overcome.

Rocksmith 2014 is more of a learning tool that challenges you to get better and is pickier. Last night I played a couple of songs (Alice Cooper, No More Mr. Nice Guy and Matchbox Twenty, Unwell) which were frustrating because I'm sure I was playing it correctly but I kept seeing "Miss". I'm still working on them but the pickiness had me put the guitar down after 4 or 5 plays of each song on the Rhythm path.

Regardless, I'd suggest you get both anyway. You get 50 songs for a good price. The RS1 cable works with RS14 of course so you can chase down RS1 from a GameStop for the cable and just purchase RS14 from Steam.

But it depends on your level of experience and what you want to achieve. I'm a beginner and wanted to get better. It does work quite well as a motivational tool (too well I think, it's hard to break away to practice to backing tracks or learn new songs from tab :) ).

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 07:14:31 AM »
Rocksmith 2014 is more of a learning tool that challenges you to get better and is pickier. Last night I played a couple of songs (Alice Cooper, No More Mr. Nice Guy and Matchbox Twenty, Unwell) which were frustrating because I'm sure I was playing it correctly but I kept seeing "Miss". I'm still working on them but the pickiness had me put the guitar down after 4 or 5 plays of each song on the Rhythm path.

I've noticed this as well. I may be off a bit, but generally it seems if you're in the range of 70-80% proficient at a song you're playing it pretty damn well.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 08:38:11 AM »
Let's do some science.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 08:47:17 AM »

I've noticed this as well. I may be off a bit, but generally it seems if you're in the range of 70-80% proficient at a song you're playing it pretty damn well.

I pretty much only play 'Learn a Song' mode. My current stats:

*** lead ***
Learn A Song:
High Mastery: 105.50%
Low Mastery: 10.50%
Number of Entered Scores: 217/427
Average: 66.0912%
Median: 23.30%

*** rhythm ***
Learn A Song:
High Mastery: 100.20%
Low Mastery: 16.30%
Number of Entered Scores: 147/382
Average: 67.4476%
Median: 0%

*** bass ***
Learn A Song:
High Mastery: 108.20%
Low Mastery: 52.20%
Number of Entered Scores: 411/424
Average: 90.3927%
Median: 93.00%

I seem to have more fun with the Bass :)

Carl

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 08:50:53 AM »
Not to be an idiot- but this is Rocksmith 1, correct?
http://www.amazon.com/Rocksmith-Guitar-And-Bass-Pc/dp/B004S5TDUQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1404394530&sr=8-6&keywords=rocksmith+cable

That's it. And the comments and questions indicate it comes with the cable so you're good.

And it's not to say to not play RS14, just that I think it depends on your experience and goals. In general both are good purchases if nothing else for the tunes you can learn to play.

Carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 11:11:02 AM »
I wish Rocksmith had a blend of Learn a Song and Session Mode. Bring in a song, drop the leads (or rhythm) and be able to make up your own leads for it.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 12:10:06 PM »
Yea, that requires stems which they aren't even trying to get (I think they can't get them or are limited as to who they can get songs from since many of the bands don't have stems).

carl

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 12:14:43 PM »
I'm more thinking just the songs they have. Like Born to be Wild. I have to play the leads they show for it, which are pretty boring since it's so heavy on the keys. When my band plays the song I have a different lead I've come up with.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 04:37:49 PM »
Not to be an idiot- but this is Rocksmith 1, correct?
http://www.amazon.com/Rocksmith-Guitar-And-Bass-Pc/dp/B004S5TDUQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1404394530&sr=8-6&keywords=rocksmith+cable

That's it. And the comments and questions indicate it comes with the cable so you're good.

And it's not to say to not play RS14, just that I think it depends on your experience and goals. In general both are good purchases if nothing else for the tunes you can learn to play.

Carl

Sweet.  Thank you sir!     :thumbsup:
Let's do some science.