Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lorenzo  (Read 4566 times)

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
Lorenzo
« on: June 30, 2014, 01:18:01 PM »
what is up with the former champ? he's had a bad year so far and this quote from Assen makes one wonder what's going on with him?

Lorenzo said, “I have to say that the bike was working quite well in the wet and the dry, I just had a bad race as a rider. My confidence wasn't great; I didn't want to crash like last year. I didn't have value enough like the other riders to go fast, it was a bad race for me.”

“I would like to apologize with my team, the engineers and my fans because they all did their best but today it was definitely my worst race ever. In the dry I’m confident and not afraid of crashing but when it’s spitting maybe I have the memory of last year and I didn't have things clear in my mind. In future if something happens like this I hope to be more confident and less scared of crashing,” he added.

has the former alien become a mortal once again??
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Re: Lorenzo
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:26:24 PM »
He did take a heck of a hit last year in Holland.  Can we chalk it up to, "getting old sucks?"
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline motodog650

• Pissed-off bloody wanker
  • Motorcycles: '03 SV650 / '07 DR-Z400S / '83 & '84 Nighthawks
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
He sure didn't bolster his position in his and Yamaha's ongoing contract discussions... 

Offline Blunder

• Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200S, '96 Isuzu Hondo (Chevy S-10 P/U)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
He sure didn't bolster his position in his and Yamaha's ongoing contract discussions...

+1 point.

But I think we can count  Jorge's sad result at Assen as portentious. He's admitted the demons of past history and injury are playining a part in his riding and this recents race certainly shows he's all at sea.

Is it too soon to call it a day?

Jorge will never say no.
Torque is cheap.

Offline drphill

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:13:09 AM »
MM got in his head BEFORE the first race this year and has been toying with him since (see race #2 & 3) and from that quote, he has taken a long look into the mirror and doesn't like what he sees.

Plus, I would assume, the goofing around between VR and MM is not doing well for his mental state either...especially when he sees VR & MM (and others) congratulating each other ahead of him on track.

Personally, I see him riding this year out in 4th or 5th and inking a new deal (with another team like Suzuki maybe?) based on past performance and retiring in a year or two afterwards.

Just my pennies worth of thoughts.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »
The strategy that has worked for Jorge in the past no longer is feasible with MM haunting him down the track. He simply can no longer break away from the herd. Psychologically Jorge depended on that. Now the tables are turned.

He actually has to race people now.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online Black Hills

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »
it will be interesting to see how MM does in the next few years. he appears to be the next Rossi but time will tell. and Rossi continues to amaze, hopefully a win this year to add another record to his resume'.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline tyrroneous

• Motorcycles: Daytona 675, SV650 (wifes) and some dirt bikes.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 02:24:45 PM »
Had I crashed, broken a collar bone, flown to Spain, had surgery, flown back to Holland and raced a 260hp motorcyce for 45 agonizing minutes, finishing a heroic 5th place, all in the space of 48 hours, I'd have bad memories of that place too. 

I dunno.  I like Lorenzo and he has traditionally been pretty stout both physically and mentally.  He was pretty much immune to Rossi's mind games.  I guess everybody is going to hit a slump at some point in their career.  It just seems more pronounced when it happens to a multi-time world champ.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 02:28:34 PM »
I was just shocked to hear him say he was scared? seems odd, not that I blame him but it's not the typical comment from racers? seems as though he has some serious doubts about things?

Offline Blunder

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 07:38:59 PM »
It's towards the end of a rather long article but it contains Lorenzo's admission of his troubles at. Assen this past weekend and also Rossi commenting tbat it was the same for him when he came back from the broken leg injury he suffered at Mugello a few years ago.

http://m.motomatters.com/analysis/2014/06/29/2014_assen_post_race_round_up_of_tire_ga.html

These people perform super-human acts, sometimes dealing with pain levels unbearable to all the rest of us. But they are human and their minds can go a little sideways (as if they aren't already a bit nuts) at times.
Torque is cheap.

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 09:00:50 PM »
it will be interesting to see how MM does in the next few years. he appears to be the next Rossi but time will tell. and Rossi continues to amaze, hopefully a win this year to add another record to his resume'.

What's amazing is that this is Rossi's comeback year.  He's ahead of or Pedrosa and Lorenzo in the championship.  If it weren't for Marky Marq, Rossi would be overall leader and have three race wins this season.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline Loki

• Motorcycles: Hondas
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 10:45:43 PM »
The strategy that has worked for Jorge in the past no longer is feasible with MM haunting him down the track. He simply can no longer break away from the herd. Psychologically Jorge depended on that. Now the tables are turned.

He actually has to race people now.

+ 4 here,

Suddenly he is human, plus the youngin is making it harder for the old guys. Rossi is making a statement, a damn good statement. Marq will fly high for a while, his style is amazing. And yes, he did get into Jorges head this last week.

Jorge cant run away with anything lately, Marq, Rossi and Pedrose seem to be able to catch and pass him at will. Also in the shadow, getting ready to take their places are the Espargaros, Bradl those guys seem to be the next wave of solid riders.

It will be an interesting rest of the season.

L;
I'm lucky that in my life, I've mostly gotten away with stupid.

Offline motodog650

• Pissed-off bloody wanker
  • Motorcycles: '03 SV650 / '07 DR-Z400S / '83 & '84 Nighthawks
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »

Speaking of contract negotiations, Yamaha just re-upped with Rossi for two more years  ;D ;D

Online Black Hills

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 10:40:16 AM »

Speaking of contract negotiations, Yamaha just re-upped with Rossi for two more years  ;D ;D

a no brainer for Yamaha, he's a class act..

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »
I get having the willies after a spectacular get off (DAMHIK) and I'm empathetic about that. There needs to be grace in this life.  :thumbsup:

But it's just not all about Assen and the rain. MM, and to a certain extent VR, are rearranging the furniture in Jorge's tidy little head. If you lose your nerve, you've lost the race at this level. The thing that astounds me is how MM wins under so many different conditions. He's worked for every one of those wins and it still could be somebody else in the next race. I mean Aleix in the pole position? On an open class bike? And finishing fourth? The amazing battles for position all through the field? Ducati on the podium? What's next?

Say what you want but the handicapping has added back what was missing in MotoGP - there is pressure on Honda and Yamaha and the field is more competitive.

The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline Blunder

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 01:37:24 PM »

Yamaha is happy in part because he brings money with him. The other part is Valentino is growing fiesty in his riding dotage. Of all the riders out there it's the good old Doctor who has a chance of looking down at MM on the podium at a race's end.

Torque is cheap.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »

Yamaha is happy in part because he brings money with him. The other part is Valentino is growing fiesty in his riding dotage. Of all the riders out there it's the good old Doctor who has a chance of looking down at MM on the podium at a race's end.

^^This. That would be an absolute hoot. Rossi's fortunes are trending up.  8)

Offline Blunder

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »
]

^^This. That would be an absolute hoot. Rossi's fortunes are trending up.  8)

If we could only get some blow-up dolls and clown wigs...

Torque is cheap.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »
snerk