Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 3 National Monuments, 3 cylinders, 2 bikes  (Read 1956 times)

Offline nevinfs327

• Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler; Kawasaki W650; Suzuki TU250
3 National Monuments, 3 cylinders, 2 bikes
« on: June 27, 2014, 03:49:30 PM »
I'm fortunate to live in (relatively) close proximity to a number of national monuments on the West Coast, but hadn't been to any of them.  With my brother's San Francisco project winding down, we decided to hit 3 big ones in a Memorial Day weekend ride.  

Heading east from the coast inevitably requires crossing California's equivalent of the Midwest, which is to say flat farmland, and it is quite toasty in the summer.  

Taking a break from some traffic that we couldn't get ahead of near Knight's Landing, CA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Farmland gives way to grassland, with Sierra foothills in the distance

70 eastbound dances back and forth across a very active railroad and stream

Bikes with character (the kind that requires a lot of bolt tightening each night!)

The Belden Lodge looked interesting from across the river, but the town had a very abandoned, strangers not welcome feel.

Belden Bridge, circa 1912

After shedding 30 degrees from the Central Valley's mid-90s temps it was time to add the thermal undershirt that had been wadded beneath my flat repair/tool kit by the time we got to the intersection with 89.

With daylight dwindling we made a beeline for Chester where we would find lodging/dinner/beers, arriving shortly before dark.  Chester promotes itself as a tourist destination, but it was very quiet on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend.

Offline nevinfs327

Re: 3 National Monuments, 3 cylinders, 2 bikes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »
I'm a morning person.  Always have been.  I am up at 4:30 daily for work (which is a little too early, admittedly).  My brother is the opposite.  Sharing a room as kids I had some responsibility for making sure he got up for school.  25 years later tearing his blankets away and tossing them on the floor still works, and I still enjoy it just as much :lol:

Rolling out of Chester was cool - high 40s - but not too bad.  Soon following however we were in dense woods and the early sun had yet to break through, and we were barely holding 40 degrees.  Fortunately as we gained elevation we gained access to sun.  

Boiling mud and steam aren't effective hand warmers

The road had been cleared for travel only a week or two earlier, and the park was quite empty this "early" in the season.

Despite all of the snow, the direct sun made it warmer traversing Mt. Lassen than leading up to it.  Slower speeds and a few stops for photos likely helped too.

Soon enough we descended into the vast openness of Northern California, where Mt. Shasta is forever a fixture on the horizon.

Looking back towards Mt. Lassen after fueling bikes and bellies in Fall River Mills, which seemed like a good future overnight spot.

Nearing Lava Beds National Monument the terrain transitions from dense forest to high desert.

The lava in this region flowed through caves and simply spilled out, rather than exiting through volcanos and dramatic eruptions.  The cave tours in the park are fascinating and the lava rocks from ancient flows visible in huge fields.

Riding along Tule Lake there was an odd haze - it looked like smoke - right alongside the road.  It was very strange, until all of a sudden the smoke materialized on my faceshield.  The area was swarming with bugs so thick they clouded the air.  It was a messy few miles.  And due to my brother stopping to re-tie his boot just before an intersection, I did it 3 times trying to reconnect with him.  

After burning some time looking for each other, and some confusion about the CA/OR border's location (not marked on our roads), we reconnected just south of Klamath Falls, OR.  I'm sure we ate lunch...but I can't recall anything about it.  Whether the weeks since the ride or the Moylan's Kilt Lifter currently inspiring this ride report is to blame I'm not sure...

Klamath Lake - looks like a place that would be windy...it wasn't

Only the western portion of Crater Lake's Rim Road was open - something about snow

Crater Lake is beautiful when snow covered - glad to have seen it at this time of year.

Twisty roads are the most fun, no doubt, but when there are miles to be covered it is hard to beat a straight, fast run through a forest.  This one smelled strongly of...cedar I think.  

Lost Creek Lake looked like a popular place to enjoy the outdoors.

Upon arriving in Grants Pass there was still a lot of daylight, so we made some calls, found a destination and made our way back into California.

What more could one need?

The Lodge's namesake creek

We arrived just before dark.  Perfect timing.  The place definitely has a cabin feel to it.  I would definitely stay again, but I wouldn't take my wife there.

Offline nevinfs327

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
Saturday's lunch was in Fort Klamath - I just recalled.  Don't know the name, but if you're ever there, it's the only option and the burgers are very fresh.   :thumbsup:

But that was the past.  We're now in CA, and the day starts with redwoods, forest, and signs for elk but no elk (my preference on 2 wheels).

After several miles of making good progress on a sunny, clear, traffic-free morning on 101, it was time for the scenic route: Avenue of the Giants.

Next up: Highway 1 from the very top :bigok:

In Sea Ranch there was a delay paired with entertainment.  A vintage Land Rover had pulled off of the road where it looked flat, but in fact had a 4 foot or so drop right off of the shoulder.  The local fire department came to help out.  We eventually were motioned by before the issue was resolved.  Fortunately this meant that there had been no traffic in front of us for quite some time, which was fantastic  :bigok:

Holiday weekend traffic became apparent nearing Bodega Bay, and was  really bad by Valley Ford, so we opted for the back roads of the mini-lost coast to the west of Tomales,  before ultimately making our way to the Golden Gate and back to San Francisco in time for dinner.  

I love riding in CA  :)

Offline Moto-Angler

• aka 1000lbs
  • Motorcycles: '12 Street Triple R, '12 CBR250R, '08 WR250R
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
Great report.  Looks like you guys had a nice time.  Makes me want to get back up there asap. 

Offline JimS63

• Motorcycles: 2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 CB750, 1980 Yamaha DT100
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »
Agreed...looks like a great ride!

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:37:33 AM »
I have to get the west coast and ride.....
Thanks for the report-looked like a good choice of bikes for it.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?