Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SD and CO Dual Sport options.  (Read 3824 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
SD and CO Dual Sport options.
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:29:31 AM »
We'll be dragging the trailer out y'all's way at the end of the summer.  We will have another couple in their smaller camper along but we'll also have the XTs with us.  We really want to experience some of your regions off road / dual sport options while we have the opportunity.  We'll be showing our friends the Custer / Badlands region then something in CO.  We're toying with the idea of the 4 corners but that's a LOT of driving for a 2.5 week trip. 

So, what would you recommend?  The XTs are tagged so we can either ride or truck to a location from where ever we're camped (will take recommendations for this too).  We're not full on dirt racers but we do OK.  Video in Mississippi / Alabama trip report for sample of comfort zone.  We're pretty open to venues but want to see some of the best of what the region has to offer.  Where would you camp w/ a large trailer and where would you ride w/ small DS bikes? 

Would LOVE to find some free camping as we're quite self sufficient to just plop down in some Nat'l Forest somewhere.  Gas costs are gonna hurt.  Best part of our long trip was dispersed camping in Stanley ID. 

Would also love to hook up w/ some folks for tourguide rides in your back yards if anyone is up for it.

Tks. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
Re: SD and CO Dual Sport options.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »
www.dakotadualsportriders.com  is a pretty good bunch of guys (other than me ;D) and should be able to provide some good info. I think FS campgrounds are pretty cheap, I would look at Dalton lake. you can also just camp anywhere in the BHNF as long as you are self contained.
 You need a trail permit, easiest place to get one is the visitor center at I-90 exit 61, I think they are $28 and they include maps of the trail system. Not sure what type of riding you want to do but there are 4,000+ miles of roads in the black hills with everything from gravel to technical single track. so plenty to keep you busy. there is also the  www.dakotaadventureloop.com if you want to ride parts of that?
what are you interested in seeing/exploring? I can get you to anything from fire lookouts to caves, just let me know if you want a tour guide when you are here and I will figure something out.
  as for Colorado www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com is good.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »
Awesome.  Since our friends will have parental units with them for the first few days, we'll be ready to get out and see stuff as soon as we get there.  I'll do some research but we're very open to what we want to see.  It's so dramatically different from the east coast that any old thing will do.  Granted if the ride is boring gravel road, I'd hope there'd be something spectacular to see at the end.  Some combination of off road and epic view will do nicely.  If you're willing to tourguide, we will default to your judgement. 

That's exactly the reply I was hoping for.  Thanks.  :) 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »
What is this motorized trailhead I'm seeing?  :)  Also, roughly where is Dalton Lake.  I'm looking at the BHNF website.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »
www.TrailDamage.com

While its focus is more for two-track forest roads for jeeps, it's simply another trail resource that bikes could use. For dual-sport, looking for lower difficulty trails, perhaps with high scenery value, would be of most desire. Do realize, a single track vehicle can take an easier line through some obstacles that a two-track vehicle can't - so even a high difficulty rating might not be too bad for a bike.

www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php

This link has links, near the top of the page, that sort trails by various criteria (difficulty, elevation, scenery, etc):
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

If you get to CO and wish to check out a jeep ride, kick me a PM.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »
What is this motorized trailhead I'm seeing?  :)  Also, roughly where is Dalton Lake.  I'm looking at the BHNF website.

roughly between Piedmont and Nemo. not to many "boring" roads in the hills ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:34:29 PM »
www.TrailDamage.com

While its focus is more for two-track forest roads for jeeps, it's simply another trail resource that bikes could use. For dual-sport, looking for lower difficulty trails, perhaps with high scenery value, would be of most desire. Do realize, a single track vehicle can take an easier line through some obstacles that a two-track vehicle can't - so even a high difficulty rating might not be too bad for a bike.

www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php

This link has links, near the top of the page, that sort trails by various criteria (difficulty, elevation, scenery, etc):
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

If you get to CO and wish to check out a jeep ride, kick me a PM.

wow, just wow.

Thanks Jim.  Don't be surprised to hear from me. 

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
higher difficulty ratings for jeep trails end up like this:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 05:41:54 AM »
Looks like destination 1 will be Sage Creek Campground in Badlands National Park for a couple days, then probably an overnighter in Bluebells campground in Custer State Park.  Then we head over to State Forest State Park in Walden CO for an as yet determined period of time.  Still working out additional destinations.  Looks like several trailheads right in and around State Forest State Park.  Handy.

If anyone would like to take us on a guided tour of some of the amazing off road routes around any of these places, shoot me an email (vulcanbill at gmail dot com) or PM and I'll let you know what dates we'll be at each destination. 

Also, curious about some of the epic rides like engineers pass and some of the others and how viable they are on the XTs.  ???

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 07:55:53 AM »
I may be able to take you for a ride around custer, when will you be there?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »
Can anyone recommend some good rides near Ridgeway, CO??  Seems like there's a lot of trailheads south of there.  Anybody ridden Engineer Pass?

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 09:18:21 PM »
Anybody ridden Engineer Pass?

It's on my list (for the Jeep). I've looked into it and as I recall folks have said that stock vehicles can do it.

TrailDamage lists it as a 2 (minimum difficulty) and 3 (max difficulty) on the 10 point scale.
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=300
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:35:50 AM »

It's on my list (for the Jeep). I've looked into it and as I recall folks have said that stock vehicles can do it.

TrailDamage lists it as a 2 (minimum difficulty) and 3 (max difficulty) on the 10 point scale.

It doesn't look too bad.  We'll probably end up somewhere very near there so we've put it on the must do list.  unlike blackbear pass which is a whole pile of no no no no no.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »

After watching some videos of some Jeepers in the CO passes, Kim has officially declined your kind offer of a Jeep tour.  While she doesn't technically cuss, the sentiment was pretty apparent.  We'll go with no, thank you.  Now I need to convince her that the XTs will be better than big wide 4 wheeled vehicles.  I will be looking to do some riding around RMNP though Jim.  Do you have any 2 wheel DS type devices?

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »
I will be looking to do some riding around RMNP though Jim.  Do you have any 2 wheel DS type devices?

RMNP is all paved. I believe Old Fall River Road, the dirt one-way from the lower east side to the Alpine Visitor Center is still closed (likely due to rain wash out from September 2013). It was closed when I was there three days back.

No 2-wheel action for me these days (some day though, but when???).

While a high country trail might not be in your plan (and I'm not push'n), a close and well rounded Jeep trail (just east of Estes Park) is Pole Hill. (no mining artifacts though).

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=188

http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-06-28--trail--pole-hill--johnny-park/

Take care - Jim