Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amazon Fire Phone  (Read 1648 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
Re: Amazon Fire Phone
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »
It's a phone.

Disclaimer:  I didn't click on it to look at the details.

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »
I didn't click on the link, however I did pop over to Amazon to look and checked out a few articles on it.

1. It's another expensive phone. There are a couple of advances you get with the newest phone, more MP for example. Nothing really ground breaking though.

2. It is a modified Android OS so it's like another Linux Distro. Core Android with phone manufacturer mods.

3. It remains to be seen if it matches an Apple model where phone OS's are updated for years or Android where the manufacturer of the phone has no reason to provide upgrades and generally doesn't (so no security patches for example).

4. It ties you right into Amazon. If you think Apple's Walled Garden approach is offensive, this is worse. Apple is only trying to sell you phones and computers. Amazon is trying to sell you _everything_. With an Amazon specific phone and Firefly, you're that much more likely to buy from Amazon.

5. I already have a phone contract. The prices aren't that much different than Apple's so there's no good reason to switch when my contract is up _and_ my phone is ancient. I used my 3GS for a couple of years past the contract end and even past when I could get upgraded software. I'm still using my 1st gen iPad.

For me right now, meh.

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
With none of the OS-level security "sandboxing" that iOS has cooked in from it's most base levels.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
The Fire Phone features a 2.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 CPU, comparable to the Galaxy S5's 2.5Ghz quad-coreSnapdragon 801 processors CPU. The Fire has a much older processor as far as phones go. Not to mention no access to the Google Play store. To me I see no reason to go out and buy one of these phones, at this point it's just a gimmick.

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
Well put.
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
I agree with Carl, meh.

IMO just another merchandizing opportunity. Just like iOS and Android, you give away a lot more than you get in return.
Ride safe!